Could we be about to have a World Cup Eve TWIST?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Lopetegui (Spain manager) has been appointed Real Madrid manager from the start of next season. Spain FA haven't taken this news well, everyone is losing their heads, rumours that he might be about to be sacked...

Unlikely though, Spain wouldn't risk going manager-less for the world cup and getting knocked out in the group stages. Maybe they should hire Guti instead!

Lots of talks on social media and in the papers that Julen Lopetgui is set to be sacked as Spain manager as the Spanish FA feel they have been betrayed.

If it is true, it seems rather stupid to sack a manager so close to the start of the World Cup.

6 minutes ago, Razzler said:

Even if they are upset at the way he's handled this is it really a huge deal??

Also, not upset with Madrid here?

I think the problem is

a) he didn't say **** to the FA and it came out of the blue. that's a massive break of trust.
b) he's signing for massive, well-hated rivals of half the squad. Imagine being in Piqué's or Busquets' position, being managed by the future Real Madrid manager, how awkward would that have been. :D 

Nevertheless I don't see how sacking him helps, specially when the players seem to be backing him. Massive shambles. But it's our gain, thanks. :D

Lopetegui hasn't really behaved very well, sounds like Real just didn't speak to the Spanish FA at all about this either? :D so neither of them are in a good light here. But dumb to sack him on the eve of the competition, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

How can people say Spain had no choice? :D It’s an idiotic move. Guy has been involved with Spain for many years and they’ve just outright questioned his integrity. The fact Barca players backed him too says a lot as well.

Spainish FA guy just wanted to show off his power.

I dont think they had a choice. Madrid didnt ask ask/notifiy/gain permission to speak to the manager. and the manager didnt have the courtesy to tell his employers, he had been approached/negotiated and signed for madrid.

30 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

How can people say Spain had no choice? :D It’s an idiotic move. Guy has been involved with Spain for many years and they’ve just outright questioned his integrity. The fact Barca players backed him too says a lot as well.

Come on, don't be ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Questioned his integrity??

2 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

Madness from Spain. Doesn’t this happen all the time, International managers making a pre agreement to join a club after the tournemeant will end. Conte in the Euro’s is a good example.

He signed a new contract 2 weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

Madness from Spain. Doesn’t this happen all the time, International managers making a pre agreement to join a club after the tournemeant will end. Conte in the Euro’s is a good example.

But I am sure they normally inform their current employers before going public.

3 minutes ago, Kenco said:

But I am sure they normally inform their current employers before going public.

Is that a sackable offence? I’m not so sure. They could at least talk things through 2 days before a WC. Van Gaal is another example. He was pre agreed with United and took Holland quite far.

Surprised by the vibe here... I think it's a great decision by Spain FA and very ballsy.

A few days away from the biggest international stage and the guy is taking interviews and holding discussions on a club role? Mind should be on the job, not on what happens in a couple of months.

By all means do the deal, because reality is it wont have affected his preparations much, but for God sake keep it shtum!

If I was a player on that squad this (his R Madrid news) would be such a distraction for me. I know sacking him is also adding to the drama/turmoil but I like Spain FA following their principles.

12 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

Is that a sackable offence? I’m not so sure. They could at least talk things through 2 days before a WC. Van Gaal is another example. He was pre agreed with United and took Holland quite far.

Well that's completely different. van Gaal's contract was up was it not?

12 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

IMO, yes. Spain did the right thing. They have principles and stood by them. As mentioned above, he should have his concentration on the WC but he's too busy sorting out his own career. Good call by the Spanish FA.

Archived