England vs Iceland - 8pm ITV

Rebs

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely this must be one of the biggest upsets ever in international football? A small football country with about 330.000 inhabitants defeating a football powerhouse (well yeah ok) with a population of 53.000.000.

Not in a qualifying stage, but during the actual tournament. Amazing really.

I honestly can't think of a bigger one.

Surely this must be one of the biggest upsets ever in international football? A small football country with about 330.000 inhabitants defeating a football powerhouse (well yeah ok) with a population of 53.000.000.

Most countries the size of England it maybe a massive upset, but England dont play like a footballing powerhouse and always look like an upset could happen

Again Iceland not getting any respect.

Try watching some of their qualifying games, they have played really well and got some great results for the way they have played.

I can't believe everyone thought Iceland were just making up the numbers after their qualifying campaign.

Gary Nevile to be promoted please

A joke surely?

Another product of the FA's "system" is the last thing we need. Much less a proven failure.

Gary Neville and nothing will change - the squad will be picked on who you play for regardless of how injured, out of form or over-the-hill you are.

We need someone completely divorced from the FA's "system" who isn't a lackey of the big clubs who can shake it up.

Neville and Southgate are the last 2 people I want to see replace Roy.

not really.

population means nothing.

Population, economy and sports culture are probably the 3 determining factors tbh. Hence why I also pointed out 'small football country' and 'football powerhouse' as in the status of the sport in those countries.

Saying population means nothing is not true ofc.

What an uninspiring list of candidates.
I feel exactly the same...we just have no one left now who would get the fans on side from the start of tgheir tenure...they'd have to work for it so much...and then as soon as anything went wrong they'd be up against it again...English football is in a bad way in many ways really atm :(

Population, economy and sports culture are probably the 3 determining factors tbh. Hence why I also pointed out 'small football country' and 'football powerhouse' as in the status of the sport in those countries.

Saying population means nothing is not true ofc.

Indeed, in Iceland's case their pool of players is tiny, and while they are having a great tournament, it will be hard to sustain this in long term as players retire or leave the national team. England can replace their players much more easily.

For me Vardy's the only one in that game who can come out with any kind of credibility. he was chasing everything, when everyone elses head had already gone.

Rashford too in his cameos. Also summed up by him taking the corner because no one else could be ****ed to get over there and take it quickly.

Archived