What happened to Wayne Rooney in your current save?

Surprised to find him still at Man Utd in my save and doing better than I often see.

2015/16 - 16 goals in 51 apps, ave rating 7.07

2016/17 - 8 goals in 48 apps, ave rating 6.84, Capital Cup Winners, FA Cup runners up

2017/18 - 6 goals in 39 apps, ave rating 6.88, Capital Cup Winners

He is also still playing for England with 133 caps & 53 goals.

After leaving Man Utd in 2019, played for Brentford who'd been recently promoted to the Premiership for a couple of seasons, went down with them as they got relegated into the Championship. Then became their manager. Didn't last long. Had short managerial spells with Burnley, West Brom, Charlton, and Milwall, and is now unemployed.

In the first 2 seasons United came 2nd then won the double, still under van Gaal. Rooney played 35 league games scoring 14 goals in the first season but only played 15 and scored 5 in their championship-winning side - not sure if form accounts for that (he was out for about 11 weeks with injuries). In the 3rd pre-season he's listed as an MCR. He got into the United Seasonal Best XI and England Best XI both years. Has 122 caps. interested in a HoYD gig when he retires.

He has just agreed to join a Qatar side in my game (age 33) after moaning for a year that he wanted to change teams because ManU didn't qualify for Europe. He didn't play much in this last year.

If I remember correctly he signed a 3 year deal @ €1.2 million/month.

• Administrators

I signed him on a free for Karlsruhe in 19/20 after Man Utd released him following two seasons with only 11 appearances and 3 goals.

In three seasons (the last of which he was a player/youth coach) he played 19 games with 1 goal. Was happy when his contract ended and I could release him.

Now an unemployed manager.

This is on FM2015 but he stayed at Utd for a bit with fewer and fewer apps and goals and then went to Leeds for two years (still in the Championship) and didn't play much and then Sheffield Utd (still in League 1). It's Nov 2020 and he's currently third choice at Bramall Lane, barely plays there either and last season he was moaning about leaving for first team football. He won the FA Cup with Man Utd and maybe the Premier League, can't remember, but nothing else. He never made it to 50 England goals in this save either. As Wednesday manager in game and not much of a Rooney fan, I occasionally go for a peek at Utd's squad screen/the League 1 table for a good laugh at him and them, always cheers me up after a defeat.

August 2017

Still in ManU, in last two season he's played some 30-35 games and scored 7 goals in both seasons. ManU have had a slow start and they're 10th after 4 games and were knocked out of CL qualification rounds by CSKA Moscow

Playing Record

[TABLE=width: 500]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]2023[/TD]

[TD]Real Salt Lake[/TD]

[TD]31 apps[/TD]

[TD]5 goals[/TD]

[TD]2 assists[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2022[/TD]

[TD]Real Salt Lake[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2021[/TD]

[TD]Real Salt Lake[/TD]

[TD]23[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2020[/TD]

[TD]Real Salt Lake[/TD]

[TD]33[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2019/20[/TD]

[TD]Al-Jaish (QAT)[/TD]

[TD]26[/TD]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2018/19[/TD]

[TD]Al-Jaish (QAT)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2017/18[/TD]

[TD]Man Utd[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2016/17[/TD]

[TD]Man Utd[/TD]

[TD]26[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2015/16[/TD]

[TD]Man Utd[/TD]

[TD]29[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Now in his second managerial job with QPR in the Championship following relegation with Huddersfield last year.

He had actually decent first three in-game seasons at United, played around 30 games and scored around 10 goals, average rating 7+ every season as well. Fourth season he only played a handful of games and scored a few goals. Then left on a free to Palace, played 14 and scored 2 in his first season and didn't play at all next season, then retired. Is currently an unemployed manager (August 2021), and a rubbish one at that. Man management 4, motivating 6, tactical knowledge 6, etc.

Got badly injured in first and second season leading to him sitting in the u21's till his contract expired. I tried getting him for a free as Sunderland just to see how much he wanted and even though he would have been my 5th choice striker he wanted 150k a week and key player status and match highest earner. Needless to say I didn't go for that. He was unemployed for a month or two then went to a side in Qatar for a season then signed for Barnsley I think it was got badly injured, ran out his contract retired and eventually became a U19's coach and when I last checked had been unemployed for a season.

Manchester United let his contract run down until it expired. I was managing Manchester City at the time and was very short of options up front, so I brought him in on a free transfer in a player / coach role (wages of just £26k per week!). Half way through the season I left the club and Manchester City named him as Caretaker Manager! He was in charge for about a month and actually led the team to 4 out of 5 victories. He retired at the end of the season and was appointed Manager of Nottingham Forest. In his first season as Manager he has led them to 1st place in the Championship. It will be interesting to see how the team does in the Premier League.

In my game he joined Rubin (Russian Premier League) on loan in 2018 for a year, left Man U in 2020, joined Guanghzou (Chinese Super League) on a free in 2020 for just one season before being released - he broke 2 records that season too: highest average rating (7.75) and most assists (11).

In 2021 he joined Hull as manager, left in 2022 to become manager of Aston Villa and was sacked in 2023. That same year he was taken on as manager of Fulham, leaving in 2024 for West Ham. Obviously he got itchy feet again and left a year later to become manager of Crystal Palace. It will come as no surprise to find that a year later in 2026 he left them, this time being sacked.

He remained unemployed until 2027 when he became Ipswich manager. Amazingly it's almost 2029 and he's still in the job.

I signed him as a player/assistant manager on a free for Everton. He was linked to quite a few premier league and championship managerial jobs but didn't get any. i replaced him with Arteta 2 years later.

In mine he had several seasons at United where he played very few games, before moving on to Al-Sadd in 2019.

As of the end of the 20/21 season, he's retired as a player and looking to find a manager job. His attributes are woeful.

After 5 goals in 36 games for Manchester United in 2015/16 he appeared just 5 times the next season, leading to a £12.75m move back to Everton, where he appeared to play deeper, in midfield or wide on either flank. Over three seasons he played 71 times and scored 13 goals before a free transfer to Seattle. His staff attributes indicate he'd make a fairly good attacking or shooting coach, with a working with youngsters rating of 16 too. (I'll have to keep tabs on him!)

I sold him to Arsenal for £31 million (they were mugged :) ) 4 seasons later he is languishing in their reserves and worth £2.5 million having played the grand total of 62 league games and scoring 21 goals in the league for them. His staff stats indicate he could be a reasonable coach in the future possibly either as a fitness or attack coach.

Joined LA Galaxy in 2019 and played three seasons before retiring from playing.

He then had managerial spells at Burnley, Sheff Wed, Bristol City, Brighton, Millwall, Middlesbrough, Fulham and Sheff Utd before retiring at the age of 55.

Archived