The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need an element of stability. No point in keep changing manager every 2 years. Let him finish his 4 year run. See how we are in Quals. Everyone should qualify for the Euros, ffs but see what he does with the system

He had the last Euros and the qualifying campaign to implement his style on the team. Has he actually done that? Going off the friendlies pre World Cup and the games in it I'd say after like 24 months we have no recognisable style but still the main problems that were there before he arrived, just this time he and others can lay down the 'youth card' now which means naff all.

Clearly they were not properly motivated yesterday, we played nervously from the start. He's always had this problem with the bigger name players, which is why he always fails at the highest level.

Team was wrong, tactics wrong, substitutions wrong, squad wrong, qualifiers a complete mess that cost us a group seeding.

I hardly think being seeded is an issue. Look at Spain, who ended up with the Dutch & Chile, who are good teams. In all honesty our group consisted of three average sides past their best (certain one many years past), & a team of unknowns who actually played above themselves.

I do, but I have no intention watching them.

You could turn the sound down on ITV and have Radio5 live on a Radio or stream it on to your PC? don't know too much of the tech stuff,,,Argentina v Iran this afternoon now theres a possibility of goals for sure!

Our players aren't much worse than at previous tournaments and we always qualified. We were poor in qualifying which cost us our seed, poor in pretty much any other game too. At what point do you pull the plug then?

By your logic United should have just stuck with Moyes, despite complete failure, a history of winning nothing, and no evidence pointing to an any improvement.

We qualified for this tournament as well. Our squad is worse but with plenty of youngsters which signal room for improvement.

And where does my logic mean Man United should've stuck with Moyes? Moyes took the champions and lead them to mediocrity, Hodgson took an average team into the world cup in a tough group and lost two close games. I'd understand everyone wanting him gone if we had a better team but we don't. We're filled with youngsters/players filled with no experience (which everyone agreed was a good thing) and a few older players who are probably on their last tournament.

But yeah, let's blame it all on Hodgson, ignore everything, sack him and bring 'arry in instead :thup:

We qualified for this tournament as well. Our squad is worse but with plenty of youngsters which signal room for improvement.

And where does my logic mean Man United should've stuck with Moyes? Moyes took the champions and lead them to mediocrity, Hodgson took an average team into the world cup in a tough group and lost two close games. I'd understand everyone wanting him gone if we had a better team but we don't. We're filled with youngsters/players filled with no experience (which everyone agreed was a good thing) and a few older players who are probably on their last tournament.

But yeah, let's blame it all on Hodgson, ignore everything, sack him and bring 'arry in instead :thup:

Our squad isn't that much worse, Hodgson made some poor selections. We have a better keeper and striker, worse defence and the midfield is probably a wash. We've had an average team for years but always advance.

Hodgson took a team usually getting to the QFs of tournaments and has shown nothing in the Euros, WC, qualifiers or any other game to show he's the right guy. Nothing he has ever done suggests he's the right man to take us forward, he has a history of failure with high pressure jobs.

Not getting out of the groups for the first time in 54 years, probably 50% inflicted because Roy lost our seeding (it's unlucky if you get a group like Spain but unlikely) after yet more poor results, is not acceptable.

I would keep Hodgson. England need stability. You can't expect instant results.

I think Spain are keeping Del Bosque, like Razzler said. Germany have kept Löw. And if Italy had crashed and burn in Euro 2012, they still would have kept Prandelli.

Plus, it's not that England have a lot of good managers available who will do a better job than Hodgson.

I wonder if the press will ever actually be realistic instead of just shouting and screaming every time we go out, ignoring every possible factor and just labelling it "embarrassing" and "disgraceful"?

I wonder if the press will ever actually be realistic instead of just shouting and screaming every time we go out, ignoring every possible factor and just labelling it "embarrassing" and "disgraceful"?

Nope, will never happen, we have the press we (as fans) deserve - just look at many of the posts in here to show that :(

I would keep Hodgson. England need stability. You can't expect instant results.

I think Spain are keeping Del Bosque, like Razzler said. Germany have kept Löw. And if Italy had crashed and burn in Euro 2012, they still would have kept Prandelli.

Plus, it's not that England have a lot of good managers available who will do a better job than Hodgson.

Del Bosque is a proven winner at the highest level though, whereas Hodgson's track record suggests otherwise. It's a different situation.

Saw one paper describe Thursday as "humiliating". Funny, I thought we actually created decent chances, but were edged out 2-1. Not a 6-0 thumping.

I'm not a fan of Roy(I don't think he's got it uptop)but the Paper media is"embarrising @ disgraceful" its self going back years,i 'haven't bought one since the early 90s!

Our squad isn't that much worse, Hodgson made some poor selections. We have a better keeper and striker, worse defence and the midfield is probably a wash. We've had an average team for years but always advance.

Hodgson took a team usually getting to the QFs of tournaments and has shown nothing in the Euros, WC, qualifiers or any other game to show he's the right guy. Nothing he has ever done suggests he's the right man to take us forward, he has a history of failure with high pressure jobs.

Not getting out of the groups for the first time in 54 years, probably 50% inflicted because Roy lost our seeding (it's unlucky if you get a group like Spain but unlikely) after yet more poor results, is not acceptable.

Who would you have selected instead? In hindsight, maybe Cole should have gone (though Baines was first choice anyway so...) and someone like Carrick/Barry, but other than that? Us having a worse defence and midfield is sod all to do with Hodgson either, he can't magic quality players out of thin air and he can't stop players being injury prone (Wilshere, Ox, Walcott)

Have you seen some of the groups we've got out of? Plus we came second to USA in 2010 ffs :D In the Euros we finished ahead of France and went out on penalties (meh performance, I agree) but I don't know what more you'd expect from a manager who was in the job about a month before the competition.

Even with the seeding, getting that group was unfortunate. And when we got it, everyone was saying how difficult it would be to get out of it. Our past record of getting out of the group is irrelevant.

I can't be arsed making the same arguments again and again tbh.

Saw one paper describe Thursday as "humiliating". Funny, I thought we actually created decent chances, but were edged out 2-1. Not a 6-0 thumping.
I'm not a fan of Roy(I don't think he's got it uptop)but the Paper media is"embarrising @ disgraceful" its self going back years,i 'haven't bought one since the early 90s!

Exactly. I don't see how an average team losing two very close games is "humiliating", "disgraceful" or anything else. Italy we could have gotten a point, and we could have beaten Uruguay (and I genuinely think we would have if they didn't have Suarez) **** happens.

Del Bosque is a proven winner at the highest level though, whereas Hodgson's track record suggests otherwise. It's a different situation.

There are still many who have about the same track record as Hodgson.

You have to take realistic expectations into account. England have quite inexperienced players here and there. They could fantastically progress in a big tournament, they could miserably go out in the group stage.

Hodgson is in the right path, seeing the attacking ideas he wants England to play. Give Henderson, Sterling, and Sturridge more time under the same manager, and they will bebetter in Euro 16.

I really think a lot of this is just a bunch of utter crap. The whole Hodgson needs more time, experienced players yada yada yada. We have just seen Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy fair and square.

Erm, yes really. Stop being wrong.

Well he has a point. Before going into this tournament you'd have put Costa Rica on a par with Ecuador and Honduras, yet they've just dismissed Uruguay and Italy fairly convincingly so maybe those two sides(and England) aren't as good as you thought. If we had France's group, there's no real evidence to say England would have progressed either.

The big takeaway from all this should be the experience for the younger players, the ones taking us forward into 2018, 2020 and 2022. I expect we'll be fielding much the same team as this tournament in 2016, except for Gerrard, and that will be the real test to see if our young players are developing properly. If we put up a good showing in the 2016 Euros, ie Quarter Finals at the very least, we can build on that for subsequent tournaments.

But what we do need is to inject some actual attacking ability, make the players responsible for creating thinking creatively around the framework the manager sets out for them. And ffs we've got to take the pressure off. Our team was practically paralysed with nerves in the opening 10 minutes vs Uruguay. How do we eliminate that fear of coming up short when we're not really expected to do that well anyway?

The experience of what exactly? Being exposed to humiliating elimination so early in their careers?

Yeah exactly, I never got this argument. Losing 3/4-0 to Italy for example isn't doing anything for their development.

Who would you have selected instead? In hindsight, maybe Cole should have gone (though Baines was first choice anyway so...) and someone like Carrick/Barry, but other than that? Us having a worse defence and midfield is sod all to do with Hodgson either, he can't magic quality players out of thin air and he can't stop players being injury prone (Wilshere, Ox, Walcott).
Cole definately, he's still the best LB we have and I would have played him. Carrick as someone who can replace Gerrard, there was noone else in the squad who could play that role. Have no idea what the point of taking Lampard was. Milner should have played too, he's not pretty to watch but very effective.

The bottom line is there's nothing in the last 2 years, or in Hodgson's past to suggest he's the right man for the job. He is an expert at lowering expectations, playing dull football and failing at high pressure jobs, like he did at Liverpool.

The big takeaway from all this should be the experience for the younger players, the ones taking us forward into 2018, 2020 and 2022. I expect we'll be fielding much the same team as this tournament in 2016, except for Gerrard, and that will be the real test to see if our young players are developing properly. If we put up a good showing in the 2016 Euros, ie Quarter Finals at the very least, we can build on that for subsequent tournaments.

But what we do need is to inject some actual attacking ability, make the players responsible for creating thinking creatively around the framework the manager sets out for them. And ffs we've got to take the pressure off. Our team was practically paralysed with nerves in the opening 10 minutes vs Uruguay. How do we eliminate that fear of coming up short when we're not really expected to do that well anyway?

Way things are going defence will be a major concern, look shockingly awful at the back and the players in reserve are not hardly brimming with quality along with a defensive midfielder to protect them at the highest level.

• Administrators
Yeah we should only play them if they are going to win' date=' losing does them nothing. haha ****ing hell[/quote']Well certainly the first sentence is correct, only play them if they're going to help you win. They've not been able to do that so far and that makes it extremely questionable as to whether they should've been included. 'Planning for the future' is folly, you go to any Finals looking to win and you do that with experience and ability married together, not by leaving out a Cole, a Carrick, even a Lennon or a Lescott in order to blood some kid who finished the season in good form.

Well certainly the first sentence is correct, only play them if they're going to help you win. They've not been able to do that so far and that makes it extremely questionable as to whether they should've been included. 'Planning for the future' is folly, you go to any Finals looking to win and you do that with experience and ability married together, not by leaving out a Cole, a Carrick, even a Lennon or a Lescott in order to blood some kid who finished the season in good form.

Indeed its all about balance. Funnily enough, seeing journalists talking about game intelligence and the lack of it. Same journalists didn't want Carrick or Barry in the side, and were scornful of Milner having any significant time.

Well he has a point. Before going into this tournament you'd have put Costa Rica on a par with Ecuador and Honduras, yet they've just dismissed Uruguay and Italy fairly convincingly so maybe those two sides(and England) aren't as good as you thought. If we had France's group, there's no real evidence to say England would have progressed either.
Or maybe Costa Rica genuinely has a good team that you unfairly dismissed because you haven't heard of any of their players before?

Do any of you actually seriously really think having Huddlestone, Carrick or any of the others mentioned there would have caused us to beat Italy and Uruguay? The point is that the collection of players in the squad WILL be there again in four years time, they need that experience not necessarily of losing, but of preparing for and playing tournament football at the highest level. And no matter what anyone says, England haven't been humiliated. We lost 2 games to two pretty decent sides, and it's not like we're the only ones. World Cup holders and European champions Spain have also been eliminated after losing to Chile. The mighty Italy with hipster's favorite Pirlo even lost to Costa Rica. A lot of people need to grow up and realise that building a successful side is not an easy process.

Do any of you actually seriously really think having Huddlestone, Carrick or any of the others mentioned there would have caused us to beat Italy and Uruguay? The point is that the collection of players in the squad WILL be there again in four years time, they need that experience not necessarily of losing, but of preparing for and playing tournament football at the highest level. And no matter what anyone says, England haven't been humiliated. We lost 2 games to two pretty decent sides, and it's not like we're the only ones. World Cup holders and European champions Spain have also been eliminated after losing to Chile. The mighty Italy with hipster's favorite Pirlo even lost to Costa Rica. A lot of people need to grow up and realise that building a successful side is not an easy process.

Actually yes. Because you could have played a 4-3-3 that didnt lead to your midfield duo/backline behind horribly exposed on any direct break defensively, and give yourselves more passing options with less static possession. It's called having balance.

You do know that there is no real defensive option in the younger players and that if they play the same way in 4 years, the same issues will occur? Also worth noting than Prandelli said Italy got their approach against Costa Rica completely wrong :thup:

Yeah the balance was def wrong. Forgetting formations it was still four defenders, two midfielders and four attackers. Wilshere for one of those forwards and I'd be surprised if we're still sitting here with zero points.

I'm not saying we would have definitely gone through or anything. But we knew the weaknesses of our defenders, and weaknesses of Gerrard in a duo. We could have given ourselves more of a fighting chance.

rather chop and change then be stable and crap tbh

Agree with this, we had this at Norwich with our fans accepting mediocracy, actually no worse I'd have killed for mediocracy, with Hughton. I really do not see the point in persuing with a manager that is clearly not up to the job. I cannot believe he is getting off so lightly because the group was hard, well how bloody hard did it look to the Costa Ricans?

2 defeats and out before the final group stage IS sackable. I have always backed the England team throughout many poor years, always watched every game including friendlies when so many people haven't bothered, but now I don't think I can put myself through watching another 2 years of a sodding Roy Hodgson side. 25 years of solid failure and we still think he's the right man. We need someone with fresh ideas, like Martinez or the like.

One thing is for sure, I'll be watching Italy v Uruguay on Tuesday in the hope that ratboy won't be going any further either.

Michael Ballack: England have talent, but are less than the sum of their parts

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/international/article4125814.ece

Michael Ballack

Last updated at 12:01AM, June 21 2014

As a German, I just don’t understand England’s mentality. Since I moved to London eight years ago, friends have been asking me what the problem is with the national team, and I wish I knew the answer. They’re clearly lacking confidence and self-belief at the moment, but should still be doing better than they are.

England have been unpredictable for a while, but they shouldn’t be going out in the first round of the World Cup, even in a group including Uruguay and Italy. Uruguay are not that good. They have Luis Suárez, but they are basically a one-man team. England’s players knew all about him and they should have taken better care of him.

One of the big problems is that England do not have a philosophy. When you watch Italy, Germany and Holland you have a good idea of how they’re going to play and they’re fairly consistent, even if some players are out of form. With England you never know what you’re going to get. They have some promising players, like Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling, as well as Wayne Rooney, of course, but they play as individuals, not as a team. There is always something missing.

As individuals, England are not weaker than the other teams in their group, but as a team it seems that they are. From the outside, it looks as if they lack trust in each other, and their own ability. It may be down to their history of poor results and failing to meet the country’s expectations, which means they cannot get results at tournaments when it really matters.

England look like less than the sum of their parts, and many of the players don’t play as well as they do for their clubs. I’m always impressed when I watch Steven Gerrard for Liverpool — as I was when I played against him for Chelsea — but he’s not the same player for England. He just doesn’t have the same influence on matches. He should have the same standing as he is the captain in both teams, but with England he is not the same.

It may be because he has — and feels — too much responsibility. At Liverpool he has other players to do the running for him so he can concentrate on organising his team-mates and there is a shared responsibility. He is playing within a clear structure and to a set philosophy, which brings the best out of him.

When Gerrard plays for England he just passes the ball from side to side. He doesn’t get forward. Maybe he’s tired now after a difficult season, but it has been a problem for a while.

There is not enough quality anywhere in England’s midfield and they are incapable of controlling games. The best teams at this tournament have midfield players who can pass the ball, hold the ball, make offensive runs and cover defensively, but England do not have one player who fits that description.

Not one single player can run from box to box, although Ross Barkley maybe will be able to in the future. I like him because he is a strong runner who likes to arrive in the penalty area, but he needs to improve.

Gerrard and Jordan Henderson have been guilty of sitting far too deep and just concentrating on keeping possession. They were both doing the same job and there was no danger from either of them, no goal threat. With nothing coming from them, there was far too much pressure on the No 10 and Rooney, left, is more of a striker than a creative player.

England’s defending has also been poor, particularly against Uruguay. They were two bad goals to concede as England had two more men on each occasion, but they lacked awareness and concentration. The second came from a long ball over the top, and that should not happen.

For me the only player who looked like making a difference for England was Rooney. He is the only one who can hurt teams, and the only one who is really world class.

Some people are saying he should be dropped, which is crazy. He should always play through the middle, as asking him to move out wide is a waste of time. He’s the best player and should have the freedom to play.

Despite all these problems, England look better than they did two years ago and Roy Hodgson should build the team around Rooney and tell his team to do everything they can to play for him.

Everton fans opinions are pretty worthless though, the way they hype up everything (Baines, Moyes, Jagielka) who all end up being rubbish. If you listened to them you'd think baines was top 5 LB's in the world. Jokers.

• SI Staff

I thought it was brilliant by Greg Dyke to announce Hodgson's job was safe before England had been technically eliminated from the competition, it stopped the "Hodgson must go" articles in their tracks. Daily Mail's Lee Clayton had a bit of a hissy fit about it.. :D

Archived