The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty funny comments from a Norwegian fan on Reddit about what it is like being a Norway fan:

Imagine you're dating this girl, and you have planned to go this cool party that you've been looking forward to for months. Hell, you even put this in your calendar long, long before that. You attended it once in 1994 and you had a blast and can't wait to get back. Then the night comes and you are ready to go. That bitch stays in the bathroom getting ready all night long, never getting done. You never get to go to that ****ing party. Ever.

Even better than that though is this reply from an England fan:

At least you're not England. You go to the party dressed to impress, haven't got laid since '66 and this is the year your swollen bollocks get their sweet relief. But like the year before, and the year before that, you get blind drunk in the first half an hour and throw up all over the carpet.

:D

I would like us to go after Martinez, admittedly doesnt have any international experience ( or ven much with a big team ) but i think his is the right sort of philosophy going forward for the NT

I almost hope Italy fail to win, we really don't deserve to go through. Would feel different if we had showed any real signs of life against Uruguay but we were terrible. It was never an easy group with Italy and Uruguay and if we'd lost both those games due to bad luck or poor refereeing then I'd feel differently, but we just don't deserve to get through due to being the least **** out of us, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

We'll only either lose to Colombia/Japan/Ivory Coast or scrape through and get absolutely ruined by a top side.

I almost hope Italy fail to win, we really don't deserve to go through. Would feel different if we had showed any real signs of life against Uruguay but we were terrible. It was never an easy group with Italy and Uruguay and if we'd lost both those games due to bad luck or poor refereeing then I'd feel differently, but we just don't deserve to get through due to being the least **** out of us, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

We'll only either lose to Colombia/Japan/Ivory Coast or scrape through and get absolutely ruined by a top side.

Agreed.

If you lose your first two games then you don't deserve to go through.

Can't bring myself to cheer on the Italians. Even if things went our way, we'll only either **** up against Costa Rica or get knocked out in the round of 16 anyway. Just put us out of our misery now.

*sigh*

Why do we think it'll be different?

For the first time in a long time we can't fault the build up. No tensions, controversies, injuries and all that usual stuff we actually had a decent build up. Good camp, good attitude, good feeling and vibes and Roys speaks well but ... still wasn't good enough

Yes, we played pretty decent against Italy but we still lost. I was feeling pretty confident but almost as soon as the game kicked off last night I felt less confident. We started the game like a team that had lost its first group game. I think one of the worst things to say is that we're now playing 'knockout football' as we bloody struggle with that

This is why I keep saying I am fed up listening to what the players have to say. I don't care about lower expectations. My expectations are always about the same. Let's try to play well, results can follow. Bit of luck and we are capable of beating a number of teams if it all comes together. I don't want to hear how happy the players are or how confident they are. They can say it as much as they like but they are convincing themselves, it's patentily obvious that they were still nervous and edgy. They cannot cast off the shackles and it's partly mental

Gone are the days when we could rely on a top quality defensive unit to keep us in games. We have played far worse and gone further in tournaments. Worse teams than us have also gone out in group stages but it's just familiar problems. You could argue in terms of seedings it's about right but the entire first half we are ineffective. Just nervoue, edgy and no penetration. We cause our own undoing time and time again

I think possession for us means everyone taking too many touches. We went back to many times when players could have been braver. Gone past a man and the worst thing about last night .. lack of freaking movement from those ahead when we had the ball. Terrible

We had a decent 25 minutes and so pleased for Rooney and then you think 'there it is', I honestly didn't even think of losing the game after that. I thought we'd have a few bites but it'll probably be a draw but finish the game stronger, feel we are growing into the tournament going into the last game

That 2nd Uruguay goal was absolutely criminal :mad: Well, first one wasn't great. Horrible midfield play and just not reading what's happening. There is definitely a space in that central defence as I am not convinced about Jagielka as a long term solution. I hope van Gaal's record of working with players brings Smalling and Jones along!

Defence is a major issue for us and also the screen in front of defence. It's no coincidence perhaps that Liverpool also conceeded a lot of goals. The punt upfield was stupid. What a goal to lose to, ffs I was fuming. I didn't have that inevitable feeling I had in other England games (Croatia, McClaren, etc) as I thought we pulled out of it but that was like 'what the actul **** just happened'. I have no idea what the centre backs were doing either, reminded me Germany game in last World Cup ... that should be food and drink, regardless of Gerrard's touch

It doesn't matter experienced team, younger team, which manager, how hard the group we do it time and time again. We just cannot play these tournaments. We cannot handle these 8 or 9 days, we cannot get it done

There's small incidents, chances and stuff but this is football, that is what happens in football. Rooney's chance, ffs. Bordering on 'sitter' for me last night. These are the moments that change everything and we just do not grasp them

So annoyed. I don't care about Italy winning this or winning that, it's freaking done, we're out. I refuse to hang on these results now. Just go and try to beat Costa Rica and move on. There is no point singling out players much other than this was not Gerrard's tournament and he should be stepping down now. No point in sacking Roy, I think he's doing good work, we need some continuity

Wow, that's long. I could go on but to sum it .. am ****ing annoyed and disappointed :D

Anyone else think Roy has been bullied into not playing Milner? All this talk of attack and stuff but maybe last night was a game for Milner even? Bah, too late anyway

We always end up here but so bloody annoying to not even get out the group, ffs. All the abject displays in the past but we always made it out the group. First time since 1958 in World Cup :(

I think it comes from fear. If you're not moving then you're not available to receive the ball thereby removing responsibility for the ball. It's a mindset. You can't do anything wrong if you don't make a mistake, etc

How many times did we check back? We had to check back. Uruguay also pressed up quite high wheres we didn't engage them high at all, let them bring it out

Rooney did ok but looked better when Barkley came out. It doesn't matter who comes on until we address these other issues. I think it's self-fulfilling now, we expect failure, we are used to this. Uruguay got battered in their opening game and were awful BUT they come out and play positive (granted, they had Suarez back)

There's Pirlo that caused us problems and Suarez and we knew they'd be danger men and they both hurt us. Uruguay had that Ledosio (??) pushed right up on Gerrard like a diamond and we're hitting balls long from first minute and never bringing it out. It never got corrected

Just ... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

The thing that angers me, is people giving Hodgson and the team a get out of jail card, due to us having no real expectations, and it being a "tough" group, how tough did it look to Costa Rica???

Look at the likes of Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, please don't tell me man for man they are better than us, but what they have over us is passion, commitment, playing without fear, and tactical nous from their management teams.

We had easy groups, tough groups. Doesn't matter. Just matters how you play. Ok against Italy but disappointing yesterday when it really mattered

Also talking about our squad like they're U21s, there's plenty there to be more competitive than they were yesterday

The thing that angers me, is people giving Hodgson and the team a get out of jail card, due to us having no real expectations, and it being a "tough" group, how tough did it look to Costa Rica???

Look at the likes of Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, please don't tell me man for man they are better than us, but what they have over us is passion, commitment, playing without fear, and tactical nous from their management teams.

Costa Rica, the "whipping boys" of the group are 45 minutes away from qualifying for the next round before anyone else in the group. Why? Because they play like they have nothing to lose and enjoy it.

England haven't had that since.... Well, not in my lifetime.

The fault for that lies squarely on the media.

Most importantly they build a side that suits the team, not squeeze in all the best individuals they possibly can.

Media, well yes and no, but I am sure the media is just the same in most countries, the blame has to lie with the management team, it's their jobs to make sure players are in the right frame of mind.

Dyke just announced Roy will stay until 2016, that's that then, see you in 2017 when I may re-gain some form of interest :D

Said it in the other thread. Most of England's players at domestic level are massively overhyped. Made out to be world class when they clearly aren't. We don't have any world class players. We hsve some good players that's it

But what about the likes of Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica etc, who all go out and perform to the best of their abilities, have all been entertaining, and most importantly have all been getting results, are our players really not as good as theirs? I don't think anyone is seriously expecting us to go and give Germany a good battering, but we seem to be on a tier lower than these countries. How long before we end up like Scotland, never even qualifying?

Agree with that, and it is just one of the many many reasons why the FA have made a mistake sticking with Hodgson, how are the players supposed to be passionate, when their manager has all the passion of a plank of wood?

World Class is thrown around too much. The players don't all need to be world class. Are Costa Rica world class? They can play and perform in the CL and Premier League, they clearly have the ability but maybe not the intelligence. It's just these actual matches, the big important matches we can't handle. So, so fragile. We cannot string a couple of consistent games together in a tournament with all the preparation and talk that goes into it

They cannot be relaxed and play positively

But what about the likes of Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica etc, who all go out and perform to the best of their abilities, have all been entertaining, and most importantly have all been getting results, are our players really not as good as theirs? I don't think anyone is seriously expecting us to go and give Germany a good battering, but we seem to be on a tier lower than these countries. How long before we end up like Scotland, never even qualifying?

Our players are overhyped beyond belief. I do not think man for man we are that much better than all these teams we think are minnows. We need more of our players playing week in, week out at their clubs in their best position.

World Class is thrown around too much. The players don't all need to be world class. Are Costa Rica world class? They can play and perform in the CL and Premier League, they clearly have the ability but maybe not the intelligence. It's just these actual matches, the big important matches we can't handle. So, so fragile. We cannot string a couple of consistent games together in a tournament with all the preparation and talk that goes into it

They cannot be relaxed and play positively

How many players truly are "world class" anyway? 5? 6?

How many players truly are "world class" anyway? 5? 6?

In terms around the world, yes, if that

Then people start referring to anyone who's done something half decent as world class and it gets silly. Time and again we see teams at World Cups doing well, having good runs and they play for teams from far and wide ... you don't need a team of United, Chelsea and Barca players to do well (it helps) but it's not impossible without, certainly not essential

We make a simple game very difficult

I don't blame him, it was the same under the last few managers we had. Its the players who are to blame. Didn't Carrick a few years ago say he doesn't want to play for England if all he will be is a sub? Its yhat mentality that ****s us over

should point out that's not what he said. And are we still making this passion argument?

I always find it weird how everyone seems to know that theses players definitely don't have passion (how?), ignoring the things that are also really important (organisation, style). Coast Rica didn't win because of passion (alone). Their set up was fantastic and they executed their game plan brilliantly

In a way. Thank God for being out already. Play the kids

In a way there's no point if Roy doesn't have a clear vision for tactics/style. Rooney is clearly going to still be involved till the Euros so if Sturridge remains in form means Rooney will still be played as N10 meaning no Barkley or Barkley shoved out wide likewise Sterling.

Archived