The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think the Rooney stuff is scapegoating, Gerrard, Lampard, Johnson have all had similar levels of criticism, Lampard has rightly been dropped to squad member, and Gerrard and Johnson just don't have any adequate replacements. The reason there's more focus on Rooney is because we do have other options.

That's spot on. We have other options but people respond by saying he's our best player and he could perform, even though he isn't as good as Sturridge up front or a number of players as an attacking midfielder.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/18/england-steven-gerrard-vital-message-uruguay

Gerrard says it will be a long and terrible summer if we don't get it right against Uruguay

Jeez, depressing, much? Give that psych a bell, ffs. You can really see his mindset, can't you. Going into this game today and he's thinking about what will happen if we lose and not personally but in the bloody media by the sounds of it :/

Tactically Hoddle was excellent. We played decent football under him too. It was only when our team got better and with Sven that we started playing terribly :D

I remember the Beckham stories. Hoddle pulling him up in training cause his free kicks weren't good enough and then knocking in free kicks himself. Doesn't like Beckham cause he's not as good as him. All this anti-Beckham stuff was bubbling under even before the Argentina game. Most likely they were all rubbish

Shame Glenn went proper mental though and he was never great with people, I think

I haven't seen it btw so id someone wants to post it :D

I just think Hoddle was amazing for England, wouldn't just dismiss anything he has to say about selection and where to play people

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard

Rooney Lallana

Sterling Sturridge Wellbeck

He is also the holder of the Le Tournoi :brock:

We did lose that qualifier at home to Italy (thanks, Ian Walker, near post grrrr) but that was all about Hoddle exorcising his own demons of not being capped more by calling up Hoddle-lite le Tissier for his 'big chance'

In typically English fashion Le Tiss missed a decent header IIRC and Zola hit the winner. Away game was awesome though, so intense and the team just handled it well. Saw it out, should have won tbh but Hoddle was excellent at that

It's a shame we buggered up our 1998 group against Romania and played Argentina in the next round. Romania played Croatia, granted good team at the time but that early in the tournament who knows, might have beat them. Nearly beat the Argies

Bloody Romania :mad:

Getting beat 1-0 by Italy in 1997 was nothing to be ashamed of, their side was amazing

Perruzi, Ferrara, Maldini, Baggio, Cannavaro, Costacurta, Di Livio, Di Matteo, Casiraghi (Ravanelli 77 mins), Albertini, Zola (Fuser 90 mins).

Subs Not Used: Toldo, Nesta, Benarrivo, Del Piero, Chiesa.

This is Glenn Hoddle who played David Beckham as a wing back and we played fb, Hoddle is by far the best manager we've had in my generation

This man for me...

terry-venables_1445499a.jpg

Euro 96 is when England were playing genuine world class football.

I just loved football from that period. Bearing in mind that until Sturridge we've been struggling for a top striker recently. Back in that period over the course of say 5 years, we had Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Owen, Wright, Dublin, Huckerby, Cole, Sutton, Ferdinand, etc. Not all of them are amazing but still, what a much better selection than today.

That Swiss one was pretty nervy though, first game and at home in England. I just loved that England team.

Even the Scotland game was a struggle, they should have scored from the penalty spot and then it was only a piece of magic from Gazza that settled the game

Euro 96 is also my favourite tournament, but I wouldn't say Venables was a better manager than Hoddle. Venables had no worries over qualifying and was leaving the job after the tournament anyway

I haven't seen it btw so id someone wants to post it :D

I just think Hoddle was amazing for England, wouldn't just dismiss anything he has to say about selection and where to play people

The best football I've ever seen England play was during 98, but to say Hoddle's was amazing is a major oversight. He was divisive and gave prefrential treatment to his favourites, he scrapped through the qualifying campaign, tried to implement ridiculous ideas such as playing Redknapp as a sweeper and lets not forget how he tried to get the team to pray together before every match.

He obviously has a tactical philosophy which he's tried to implement throughout his carer (see wolves with Anderton as a deep lying playmaker in a 5-3-2) with very little sucess, and he's a dinosaur of the game and we'd have struggled beyond 98 if he was still in charge. Would have been better than Keegan mind.

Even the Scotland game was a struggle, they should have scored from the penalty spot and then it was only a piece of magic from Gazza that settled the game

Euro 96 is also my favourite tournament, but I wouldn't say Venables was a better manager than Hoddle. Venables had no worries over qualifying and was leaving the job after the tournament anyway

Exactly. We've always viewed 96 romantically, but it was far from perfect. We had so much luck on our side vs Spain, they really should have won that game. Out of the 5 games, we only really played well (anything approaching 'world class') in 2 - Holland and Germany.

We had an amazing Italy side in our qualifying group, saying he scraped through is a complete disservice. That Italy side went to the Q/F and were only beaten on penalties by France who went on to win the thing

Just had a read through and memory does me a disservice, you're right, but it wasn't at all comfortable. Remember losing to Italy at wembley and it felt like it was all over, but then Poland did us a favour by drawing with them at home.

That's back in the day when qualifying was difficult.

It's hard to say Venables cause he really just had the tournament and we didn't qualify so we never saw him on a wet tuesday in, erm, Moldova

Under Hoddle Italy did us a favour by not beating Moldova away IIRC which is delightfully Italian of them

ahhh just loved Euro 96! i was 10, so was fully in love with football if you know what i mean. playing every day, at school and after, collecting the stickers etc. when we played i always wanted to be Seedorf for some reason :D

We played some great stuff under Hoddle- great footballing brain, just shocking man management. Under Sven we did pretty well initially, also Capello made a good start- remember how optimistic we were after the 5-1 Croatia win?

In some ways Sven was unlucky (although, he had a very talented bunch of players), penalty shootout luck against Portugal and then suddenly there's two semis. I think he really screwed up during 2006 though, Owen/Rooney with injury issues, so the idiot asks Wenger about Walcott and then calls him up.

Archived