The Official England World Cup Thread

AndyFal36

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italy to beat Costa Rica then at halftime they're beating Uruguay, we're 0-1 down. Then we get two goals in the second half and sneak through. Will definitely happen, the 2nd will be like the 90th minute too, we love to do things the hard way.

Cahill was woeful too. Gerrard takes the (three) lion's share of the blame though.

Enjoyed that result.

Jagielka was even worse tbf. Don't think a single England defender had a good game tonight - Johnson was as good as it got but even that's solely because of his assist for the equiliser.

Italy to beat Costa Rica then at halftime they're beating Uruguay, we're 0-1 down. Then we get two goals in the second half and sneak through. Will definitely happen, the 2nd will be like the 90th minute too, we love to do things the hard way.

Yes! Still believe

Jagielka was even worse tbf. Don't think a single England defender had a good game tonight - Johnson was as good as it got but even that's solely because of his assist for the equiliser.

Yeah agreed. Cahill partly at fault for the second, Jagielka (I think) for the first...with Gerrard obviously being a major reason why both opportunities were there too.

Has to be Gerrard last game for England, surely?

It's been a very long time since he was good for England. The last embers of the "golden generation" need to be removed from playing for England.

This 'golden generation' thing is bollocks...we've had 3 'golden generations' in my time watching football and all have been about the same. I want to try out a silver generation.

Rooneys goal was such a release. Surge of relief on Rooney, the team and the fans. Gave everyone believe. Hang on, we could win this, Rooney is gonna bang in the winn... Oh hang on Suarez scored. It was such a bittersweet 10 mins and summed England up entirely. Guess that's what being an England fan is all about, brief glimpses of hope ultimately ending in disappointment. Still love it though.

Rooneys goal was such a release. Surge of relief on Rooney, the team and the fans. Gave everyone believe. Hang on, we could win this, Rooney is gonna bang in the winn... Oh hang on Suarez scored. It was such a bittersweet 10 mins and summed England up entirely. Guess that's what being an England fan is all about, brief glimpses of hope ultimately ending in disappointment. Still love it though.
It's posts like these that truly capture what it is to be an England fan rather than wade through all the hyperbole or over-dramatics...good and honest post...now...BELIIIIIEEEEEEEVEEEEEEE

Just heard an interesting call on 5Live. Basically caller was asking what kind of football England play? What is the go to formation (seems to be 4-2-3-1 atm)? do we look to control the game with possession or do we counter? Do we sit back or press?

I don't think I know the answers, do we have an identity so to speak? and if we don't do we need one?

Just heard an interesting call on 5Live. Basically caller was asking what kind of football England play? What is the go to formation (seems to be 4-2-3-1 atm)? do we look to control the game with possession or do we counter? Do we sit back or press?

I don't think I know the answers, do we have an identity so to speak? and if we don't do we need one?

Or identity is that WE BELIIIIEEEEVEEEEEEE

We're a counter attacking team, but we are highly dependent on scoring the first goal in games, we're not good chasers.

If we are a counter attacking side, and I agree that is probably where our strengths are best utilised, then A) why do we move the ball so slowly,and B) why do the forwards not drop back into shape quicker to regain shape and set up to spring forward?

Thats not just based on looking at tonight, we continually move the ball so slowly at international level, and it takes ages to get the front players back into a defensive shape.

I think we are best as a counter team. We showed hints of that against Italy. Uruguay were just a totally different prospect and we had to go on the front foot more and failed. Hopefully the young players learn from this and beliiiiiieeeeeeve for the the final group game where we win and go through

Sorted :thup:

You're not a counter-attacking team. You're an attacking team. Period. Four out-and-out attackers, fullbacks who push forward, no real holding player in midfield. With only two outfield players actually tasked with defending in the team, it's a wonder you've only conceded four goals so far.

Has Gerrard retired yet? Captain marvel. Listening to Townend desperately trying to avoid blaming him for goal was fantastic.

Listening to anyone trying to blame him is fantastic.

That's right, its Gerrard's fault for trying to win a header and getting caught underneath it. **** me :D.

That's right, its Gerrard's fault for trying to win a header and getting caught underneath it. **** me :D.

it's not his fault for trying to win a header, but it's his fault for not executing it. how can you try to defend that :D

it's not his fault for trying to win a header, but it's his fault for not executing it. how can you try to defend that :D

Might as well say every player who doesn't win a header correctly is **** then.

I think the best one yet is people blaming Rooney for missing a "sitter" with the header.

The guy jumps higher than a defender that has some 10cms on him but seemingly it makes him a **** player because he earns 300k a week and should do better. :D

I think the best one yet is people blaming Rooney for missing a "sitter" with the header.

The guy jumps higher than a defender that has some 10cms on him but seemingly it makes him a **** player because he earns 300k a week and should do better. :D

You would have scored that header. FFS :mad::p

He has to go for the header and Jagielka/ Cahill mess up badly, he makes a mistake but I would aportion the blame mainly on the CB's, but he should have been far stronger in the tackle for the first goal.

Might as well say every player who doesn't win a header correctly is **** then.

yea if you go for a header to clear the ball and you don't, then you have made a mistake.

I'm not trying to crucify gerrard for the loss, I'm saying you can't put ZERO blame on gerrard just cos he tried to go for the header and it didn't go his way.

Gerrard made a critical mistake that led to their winning goal at a point where we had just had some great attacking pressure after equalising, i think he deserves all the blame he gets, as any player should if he made a mistake with such consequences, If Joe Hart had ****ed up and let a soft goal in, you would be all over him

Gerrard made a critical mistake that led to their winning goal at a point where we had just had some great attacking pressure after equalising, i think he deserves all the blame he gets, as any player should if he made a mistake with such consequences, If Joe Hart had ****ed up and let a soft goal in, you would be all over him
CBs positioning on that goal is far worse than what Gerrard did tbf.

Any one with any knowledge of the game knows that Gerrard wasn't at fault for the last goal. It's not really surprising that the majority of professionals ( past or present ) never mentioned Gerrard but lambasted the CB's.

No, anyone with any knowledge of the game (and not on a troll) knows that Gerrard wasn't SOLELY at fault for the last goal. Take the Liverpool specs off mate, it'll improve your vision.

Tbf, I did mean to say 'just' at fault. The CB's were more at fault tho.

I've said many a time that Gerrard's perfomances have been woeful.

In which case I retract my Liverpool specs comment.

Yeah to say it's all his fault is stupid (or like I say, on a wind up)

are the CBs at fault though?Does Jagielka get to that ball if Gerrard isn't trying to head it back?If so, then you really do have to hold Gerrard to account.

Jagielka gets sucked in too easily and gets caught under the ball. Even without the Gerrard flick he should still be anticipating a touch on by Cavani.

Cahill just lets Suarez run off him assuming he'll be offside or that the ball just won't reach him.

Pretty sure he does, but Gerrard can't really risk leaving it. If he leaves it and Suarez is left one-on-one with the CB, dribbles him and scores, he'd be blamed then.

He wasn't to know where Suarez was lingering.

Jagielka gets sucked in too easily and gets caught under the ball. Even without the Gerrard flick he should still be anticipating a touch on by Cavani.

Cahill just lets Suarez run off him assuming he'll be offside or that the ball just won't reach him.

This is exactly right. The centre backs fell asleep.

Suárez was aware of the danger, Cahill/Jagielka weren't - that's the difference between the quality of the players.

Archived