Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To people saying that there is no ME problems and its "your tactics".

Could you please post some screens or uopload your save that proves that?

Or even the tactics you use or discribe two or three matches and how you managed them?

I have a team with :

GK : One very good (Julio Cesar), one very promising (Kapino).

Four quick descent in defense (not in dribbling) full backs.

Four tall, descent in defence (12+ posisioning, tackling, marking, strength etc.) Central Defenders.

Four descent in defence CMs/DMs with descent passing.

Four quick, dribblers and hard working wingers.

Two "trequartistas" with good passing, creativity, technique, off the ball.

Two all around (12+ pace, accelaration, finishing, strength, technique, composure, decisions) Strikers.

Can you describe me in simple or more words, what my core (because there are much more things to manage, i know) tactic should be so that i can have a solid approach? I dont want to win 6-0. I want just to be solid. I dont care if i loose sometimes or draw a lot more. Just to be solid.

No you cant. Because defence is broken. The only way to play this version of ME is to plug in a tactic of some nice guys and tacticians here or in other FM communities and break ME with completely different approach than the ones described in 12 step guide etc. Those tactics though are good only in attack. Because in defense you will always easily conceed. By a stupid corner/set piece in general, by a wrong pass from your technical gifted DLP that will evolve in a perfectly executed AI's counter attack (made by his non creative midfielders and non technical and good finishers attackers), by a stupid defender/goallie mistake etc etc etc.

PLEASE prove me wrong. I am desperate to convince myself that there is something wrong with me or the tacticians out there and if i spend EVEN MORE hours i will find a core tactic/approach that works. I will happily admit that i was only stupidly moaning.

What the hell. Steam updated my game even though i have the Auto-Updates Disabled... Even says so on the steam Library>Download page....

Since there is no ME updates, i did not wan't to install it, so now i'm left with two choices.. Un-install the game, or don't play..

To people saying that there is no ME problems and its "your tactics".

Could you please post some screens or uopload your save that proves that?

Or even the tactics you use or discribe two or three matches and how you managed them?

I have a team with :

GK : One very good (Julio Cesar), one very promising (Kapino).

Four quick descent in defense (not in dribbling) full backs.

Four tall, descent in defence (12+ posisioning, tackling, marking, strength etc.) Central Defenders.

Four descent in defence CMs/DMs with descent passing.

Four quick, dribblers and hard working wingers.

Two "trequartistas" with good passing, creativity, technique, off the ball.

Two all around (12+ pace, accelaration, finishing, strength, technique, composure, decisions) Strikers.

Can you describe me in simple or more words, what my core (because there are much more things to manage, i know) tactic should be so that i can have a solid approach? I dont want to win 6-0. I want just to be solid. I dont care if i loose sometimes or draw a lot more. Just to be solid.

No you cant. Because defence is broken. The only way to play this version of ME is to plug in a tactic of some nice guys and tacticians here or in other FM communities and break ME with completely different approach than the ones described in 12 step guide etc. Those tactics though are good only in attack. Because in defense you will always easily conceed. By a stupid corner/set piece in general, by a wrong pass from your technical gifted DLP that will evolve in a perfectly executed AI's counter attack (made by his non creative midfielders and non technical and good finishers attackers), by a stupid defender/goallie mistake etc etc etc.

PLEASE prove me wrong. I am desperate to convince myself that there is something wrong with me or the tacticians out there and if i spend EVEN MORE hours i will find a core tactic/approach that works. I will happily admit that i was only stupidly moaning.

Post your set up in the tactical forum and im sure the guys there will get it working almost instantly. If your struggling as bad as you claim, it will be a tactical thing that can be sorted, if your willing to listen and apply the advice. Best of luck.

- Improved balance of interview offers following manual applications

I'm now being offered interviews from clubs, even with sunday league reputation, which was almost impossible before this update. The usual clubs offer an interview from the beginning, aka Stockport, Larne, Witbank Spurs, Jomo Cosmos and another one that I can't remember. Before this issue came up a while back, Stockport and Larne would almost always offer you the managerial position. Still, even after a couple of updates, none of the interviews have been successful. Believe me, I've made sure to answer the interviews as positive as possible, bending over backwards for certain demands etc. Semi-Pro, Local reputation clubs still turning me down. If they won't accept you from the beginning, who will? :(

If you really want tactical help, then the tactical forum is the place for you.

Post a new thread with the details of how you are set up, and how you want to play, and you'll be given plenty of useful advice:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

Update sounds good, 3 league games played

conceded 2 goals one from a corner after a chain of 5, and an OG.

the problem I have is also want to say solid, I should be solid, there is no tactial reason why I am not solid. as above really, I have the players I want to play how i want

oh and THREE league games into the season.

2 keepers, 3 Defenders, 1 striker and 2 midfielders all moaning about lack of first team football.

Just had a match which makes me see why people complain about the CCC calculation being seriously off or perhaps that the stat should even be removed. One of the chances the game considered a CCC was a player, pretty much on the byline, taking a shot. He had no angle for scoring, keeper easily pushed it out and the commentary said the usual "He really should've hit the back of the net". There was no way he was ever going to score unless he was exceptionally technically gifted and tried to slot it underneath the keeper (which most times would still not go in from the angle he was shooting at). Also, I noticed that several of the half chances looked more like CCCs than the actual CCCs!

Another question, is there any way for me to see (either on the stats page or the analysis page, both would be nice) to analyze just one half of the game? Or perhaps even compare the first half to the second? (This can count as an FM15 suggestion if it isn't in the game ;) )

• Administrators
What the hell. Steam updated my game even though i have the Auto-Updates Disabled... Even says so on the steam Library>Download page....

Since there is no ME updates, i did not wan't to install it, so now i'm left with two choices.. Un-install the game, or don't play..

Or just play, as the updates in this most recent one won't affect the majority of people.

If you really want tactical help, then the tactical forum is the place for you.

Post a new thread with the details of how you are set up, and how you want to play, and you'll be given plenty of useful advice:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

I already did, no one answered. Probably because there is no such solid approach.

Any devs/testers able to answer this one from earlier?

Not meaning to answer in place of a dev/tester, but I've not been able to get a job in 6 months of unemployment, stemming from my earlier post #3647. For what it's worth.

• SI Staff
Not meaning to answer in place of a dev/tester, but I've not been able to get a job in 6 months of unemployment, stemming from my earlier post #3647. For what it's worth.

Would be interested in taking a look at your save game in that case.

Details on how to upload can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368795

Cheers,

Ben

Once again the goalkeeping bug everyone is going on about. My full back did a back pass from the half way line. My keeper controlled it, then dallied on the ball before losing control, then dived on top of the ball to make a "save"! The text also said "and bravely dives on top to smother it!" or something along those lines! My keeper then gets to his feet with the ball in his hand and instead of a back pass being given, play continues as normal lol! Has this happened to anyone else? I've seen it happen twice on my save and I'm not long into my second season!

I've not really paid a huge amount of attention to long throws, but you could have a good point here.

With PPMs, they generally represent an increased propensity to exhibit a preferred move where the match scenario permits it.

So for a player with a more "standard" PPM like "Takes Long Shots", the match scenario doesn't always lend itself to a long shot, so the PPM isn't presented overly often (I'm sure people will disagree with that specific example :D).

However, a PPM like the bullet throw has no real barriers to it being attempted.

It is effectively a set piece, and as you can't block his run to the throw, what's to stop him launching it all the time?

In the example of Stoke, I'm pretty sure that every throw in the final third was treated as a set piece when Delap was there.

If, in FM, players with that PPM are still chucking it miles when throwing in from their own half, there may be an issue.

If it is limited to being used only in reasonable attacking areas, I think it is not an issue.

My problem is not so much that "bullet" long throws are being used from silly places, but that they're somewhat overused. Sure, Stoke did them all the time, and if you want to recreate Stoke you should be able to, but Stoke were not a "normal" team when it came to set plays - in the way that, say, Barcelona are the exmplars of possesion football, Stoke under Pulis were the same when it came to set plays, an extreme example, with the entire strategy built around them.

In FM, any team with a player with the "bullet throw" PPM, turns into Stoke when it comes to attacking throw ins. That's my issue. Instead of being a tool they will sometimes use, it's something they always use. Hell, if Barca happened to buy a fullback with that PPM, they'd probably start using them.... Now throw in the fact that this only occurs with the bullet throws PPM and not "normal" long throws, which I barely see at all, even in the Skrill leagues (even if you have players with good throw in stats) and it just feels rather formulaic. And note, it's not their effectiveness I'm bothered by, I can't remember a single goal resulting from them :p

The more I read the complains of people here, the more I realize that the main issue of FM2014 is the explanations of all tactical options.

I think that if we could more easily understand what exactly each instruction does, less people would complain about things they actually instruct their players to do, without knowing.

Seriously, since sliders are removed and we're using text to describe what we're instructing our players to do, the description must be accurate and clear.

For example I doubt a lot of people understand that you can easily play possesion football with plenty of shots, while in Counter mentality.

Also that Higher tempo makes your players pass more directly, something that also happens with more attacking mentalities. There are so many things going on and they are not described and that makes people confused, since they see results they can't understand.

Descriptions of Instructions need a serious overhaul.

I agree with this an awful lot.

Is it possible the high number of tackles is disrupting player decision making in the final third (and elsewhere)?

I find some of my most gifted players perform below par after hard tackles. Both Ozil and Hazard have played way below their potential in my current save. Over two seasons I'd expect these two to be two of the highest rated players in the league and they are not. I'm not a huge fan of Ozil irl and I think his current attributes accurately represent his weaknesses but I do want these gifted players to perform to their potential. I'm also see inside forwards especially taking shot from highly unlikely angles.

I already did, no one answered. Probably because there is no such solid approach.

Is that really what happened?

Of course it isn't, you started a thread, you didn't provide any pics of your current tactic/formation and then asked for the thread to be deleted less than two hours later.

The more I read the complains of people here, the more I realize that the main issue of FM2014 is the explanations of all tactical options.

I think that if we could more easily understand what exactly each instruction does, less people would complain about things they actually instruct their players to do, without knowing.

Seriously, since sliders are removed and we're using text to describe what we're instructing our players to do, the description must be accurate and clear.

For example I doubt a lot of people understand that you can easily play possesion football with plenty of shots, while in Counter mentality.

Also that Higher tempo makes your players pass more directly, something that also happens with more attacking mentalities. There are so many things going on and they are not described and that makes people confused, since they see results they can't understand.

Descriptions of Instructions need a serious overhaul.

:applause: precisely

I’ve told already that I have no problems with winning matches (that means I must understand something about tactics, at least I hope to be at my youth and not at my infancy) and although we have to struggle against several bugs that stills annoy us a lot, for me the bugs are not the real problem. I’ve wrote some posts ago about what seems a very specific logic built around this year edition, obviously not as a deep assessment of the game, but as a point of view of someone that has been a customer since the 1st edition. And I thought, as users of this forum, that we are still able to share our views freely without being confronted with certain insulting commentaries. One good example of the specific logic is that even top teams get to the end of the season with an average goal against or a little bit more. Mistakenly, I objected this because I thought it didn’t match the reality and thanks to a user or a moderator (don’t remember) these averages were indeed accurate considering the football stats of top teams in top leagues. But (and there’s always a but) this is accurate only for a few leagues, mainly the most competitive ones and I was able to alert that the Portuguese league is a good example where that average rarely occur. So where does this fit ? It fits as SI applied that average to every league, without considering the specifics or the competitiveness in each league, quite the opposite.

Still, I don’t look at this as a flaw but rather as an example of what can, should and must be improved. If SI allows me to choose almost any league, it must take in consideration the specifics of the league I choose. And although I can understand giving coherence and logic to a variety of aspects, FM managers should be able to bit the odds and get to the end of the season with 10, 15, 20 goals suffered and not with 35 or 40 just because it happens in some leagues, such as the EPL. FM is a great football sim (always have been the very best) and this is the best reason for not partitioning things in a single logic as exemplified, and also because football isn’t nothing about logic, even less one logic, it’s about art and artists. In this context it’s completely possible to think of more improvements… but that’s something to the wish list thread. Nevertheless, one thing I don’t quite understand is why we can instruct the team to be more expressive or more disciplined and not the players.

Match Engine is **** and what You doing? Nothing.

It'll be deleted of course, but bravo. You've given probably the least constructive post there has ever been. You should be proud. Make sure you screenshot this to send it back in the Christmas letter.

So it was a bug about reaching the boards point total and still get sacked. I thought I had reached it and could not understand at the time why I was canned. Now I will have to start my Leeds career over (crying) Oh well. Its still I think the best FM yet. I like the tactics now alot better than the sliders.

It'll be deleted of course, but bravo. You've given probably the least constructive post there has ever been. You should be proud. Make sure you screenshot this to send it back in the Christmas letter.

why do you have to be like this? you seem to criticise every single post on this forum....maybe people vent there frustrations when they spend money on something where as you like fanning people...bravo

Why can't I set Plays Quick Throws and Distribute to Defenders together? At the moment what happens if I set Quick Throws is that at goal kicks the keeper just hoofs up the field (he hoofs sometimes even when I set distribute to defenders). Problem comes at corners and freekicks, the keeper just hoofs because the defenders aren't open to distribute to, even though there may be other players breaking out! -sigh- That area needs a bit of work I think.

• Administrators
Match Engine is **** and what You doing? Nothing.

As has already been said the match engine will be addressed. There are no quick fixes for the match engine, every change has massive potentially knock ons and needs to be heavily tested. I'd also suggest whilst you wait for a match engine update, familiarising yourself with the forum rules here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370304-Not-Reading-or-Following-House-Rules

Thanks.

The match engine does not currently match the quality of the rest of the game. I love developing players and building a team in FM. I even think the media elements are reasonably well done and you can get into some great feuds with other managers and it also responds well at times to in game events. I think the analysis tool is brilliant and the tactical side of the game is extremely well developed.

So 14.2.2 is replaced by 14.2.1 ? Weird.

Its the other way around. The OP in that thread is dated 2nd Jan but Neil Brock has edited / updated it today with the details of 14.2.2 . The earlier 14.2.1 update is below that. It is admittedly confusing at first glance though.

ther Bizzare thing is, Cheslea sold Azpilicueta on my save, and are STILL doing long throws with David Luiz, and I have already said this, they do not use this in real life, why are they using it now, and yes they are as dangerous as corners, and I have set long throws on mine but no PPM, no long throw.

Archived