Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But dribblings per game are vastly exaggerated too, that was the point. It was also the counterpoint to your argument that the prominent tackles in match play (is a constant with FM, and SI are aware of it) would cause dribblers to become ineffective. Even bearing in mind that when looking at the incidents rather than numbers, sometimes a "successful dribble" isn't all that, in FM 2014 still average dribbler average dribblings only the likes of Messi or Ronaldo do average in the real sports. The top dribblers far surpass that, which used to be different in older iterations.

Complacency and its definition within the game is certainly one I disagree with (and have had debates on here about).

The correct use of it in the game is if you're leading but not playing well - as if to say "we're lucky to be leading, make sure you don't let them back into it" which is fair enough. However I would use complacency when you're leading and finding it easy, or the opposition is down to ten etc, as if to say "we look comfortable now but that's no reason to take your foot off the gas". But this isn't the correct use in the game and will lead to situations like the one Rossini experienced.

FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 – UPDATE 14.2.2 CHANGE LIST

======================================

- Fixed Swedish Reserve league age restrictions

Thanks for fixing this (again... ).

It says in the update message that the fixes are save game compatible. Is that true also for this point? Will it be fixed when a new season starts or how will it work?

The reason I'm asking is last time this bug was reported we were told it was a data issue so we needed to start a new game after the update.

ther Bizzare thing is, Cheslea sold Azpilicueta on my save, and are STILL doing long throws with David Luiz, and I have already said this, they do not use this in real life, why are they using it now, and yes they are as dangerous as corners, and I have set long throws on mine but no PPM, no long throw.

Luiz has the same "Possesses Long Flat Throw" PPM.

I'm not certain about this, but suspect that the AI is set to "Mixed" for all set piece instructions - including throw ins.

With no firm instruction, anyone with this PPM on the AI teams will therefore exhibit that PPM.

As has already been said the match engine will be addressed. There are no quick fixes for the match engine, every change has massive potentially knock ons and needs to be heavily tested. I'd also suggest whilst you wait for a match engine update, familiarising yourself with the forum rules here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370304-Not-Reading-or-Following-House-Rules

Thanks.

Hi Neil,

Has the thing to do with the thingys been thingied yet?

Cheers.

Hi, I'm unable to download the update.

When I press update it spends around 5-6 mins on 0% before returning the error: An error occurred when updating Football Manager 2014 (content server unreachable)

The guy who I am trying to play a network game with just updated so I know full well the server is fine.

I have updated all the previous updates fine and without issue using this laptop and on this internet connection.

Yes, I have restarted steam, restarted my laptop, and Verified my game cache as suggested in the update thread.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

I agree with this an awful lot.

I do too, to the extent that it irritates me.

One example I can think of is that as barcelona, you may want to play a complete wing back, ball playing defender, regista, deep lying play maker, advanced playmaker and a trequarista which totals up to 4.5 according to the '12 steps to football manager guide' posted on here and therefore should be classed as very rigid. Yet when have Barcelona EVER had a 'very rigid' style of play? Everything about their play is fluid, players interchange and players roam from position.

One example I can think of is that as barcelona, you may want to play a complete wing back, ball playing defender, regista, deep lying play maker, advanced playmaker and a trequarista which totals up to 4.5 according to the '12 steps to football manager guide' posted on here and therefore should be classed as very rigid. Yet when have Barcelona EVER had a 'very rigid' style of play? Everything about their play is fluid, players interchange and players roam from position.

Fluid movement isn't the same as fluid philosophy. It's a misconception but the explanation in game of the concepts don't help either.

12 steps are not the Bible, nor the only way to interpret tactics.

Given that neither of them are bugged in the slightest, I wouldn't think so.

Ok although it's curious the player in position 9 (doesn't matter his role, CF, DLF, P, etc, etc) keeps coming closer without being instructed to do so. Something that already happened in fm13.

Another thing is even managing different teams, with different tactics, around 70 minutes and no matter the match is against an underdog or an equal team, the opponent starts to sit higher and pressing and my team starts loosing ability to retain possesion and sits deeper. I mean, even a cup match against a weak team this happens, and even if I'm winning by 2 or 3 goals. I can think "ok, my players are getting tired and this makes the team to loose some shape", well but the opponent players also get tired.

Fluid movement isn't the same as fluid philosophy. It's a misconception but the explanation in game of the concepts don't help either.

It is indeed. But there is nothing rigid about the the movement or philosophy of barcelonas play. I could bet if I looked up fluid in the dictionary, Barcelona would be mentioned somewhere.

another disappointment of a patch, so much time to fix so few things?!? i expected more from a market leader, all issues reported continue after 2 so called patches, and you give us minor fixes, and no engine updates, what the hell to the devs do 8 hours a day, grrr.

I am struggling to stay patient with this game. I really am. I try and I try and I try, but it just doesn't give me a chance. You try to set up your team to play with a high tempo and quick interchanges between the lone forward and the midfielders/wingers on the counter and instead all I get is my players spending the entire match passing sideways and backwards, completely ignoring the runners and then they eventually pass back to the defenders, who have a ridiculous obsession on this game with constantly giving the ball back to the opposition and hoofing the ball as hard as possible. Wingers and fullbacks constantly dallying on the wing of instead trying to put in a cross as instructed. Players constantly underhitting simple 5 yard passes, players constantly standing completely motionless when the ball is played to them and letting the opposition take it off them. It's boring watching them constantly do this regardless of tactics and regardless of what is going on around them. Incredibly boring.

Hi and thanks for the for the Quick update. Not complete yet, but after reading its on its way, im satisfied.

Dont know if it is a bug or what the problem is. But on this and last updates, i struggling alot with the moral in the team. , the players have decent or low moral and its not getting better even if my team are in a winning streak. And the condition is also a big problem when all my players exept goalkeepers go down to 50-65 % after a match. Injuries come and half the team gets injured.

Also have the issues with defenders make bad passes. goalkeepers make huge mistakes. the game isnt fun right now and i hope its getting better in the next update, so the game gets playable again

thanks for a superb job otherwise

another disappointment of a patch, so much time to fix so few things?!? i expected more from a market leader, all issues reported continue after 2 so called patches, and you give us minor fixes, and no engine updates, what the hell to the devs do 8 hours a day, grrr.

That's an incredibly poor attitude to have. How is the patch a 'disappointment' when it's clearly fixed some of the most pressing bugs prevalent in the game at the moment? None of the match engine bugs are remotely gamebreaking, and in fact many that were originally thought of as bugs have been proven to be tactical in some way.

People like you don't deserve software like this. Sorry to be so personal, but that attitude grinds my gears.

Ignore my criticism of no through balls now, it seems two of the most important players in my side have the useless "Stops Play" PPM. Probably explains why my DLF/S is ignoring the midfielders running past him and in on goal and instead dribbling with the ball backwards about 20 yards. My criticism of the hoofing remains though.

Oh well, time to start a new save. It's pretty much impossible to set up any coherent tactic with Colchester at the start because the team is ridiculously underrated and is actually rated as one of the worst sides in League for a large number of the categories. Oh, and we have to finish at least mid table, and making the number of necessary changes to actually make the side decent would make any sort of tactical familiarity non existant. It doesn't matter any way, because the side has no money to make transfer and barely any of the players are sellable. -sigh- I hope there are big changes for the Colchester side in the next database update. There was a lot of knee jerking after the 9 match losing streak last season just before the last database update, and there were barely any changes for FM14 (to the senior side, at least).

To the development team:

Given the recent success of early access alpha/beta on Steam, is this something you are considering for FM?

FM is a major brand name but still a niche product and these last three years where I have followed the release and patch cycle (came here ranting at first like a lot of new forum members still do) do point to the fact that the game is released in a state that is unlikely to ever be entirely satisfactory for both you and the customers.

Maybe an early access release in October-November and then a final release in March could give us all a better product and you more time to concentrate, without the noise of customers unhappy with paying full price for a product that arguably isn't finished before March anyway. I bet early access players are less inclined to complain.

I'm sure both those users are really happy. Super.

As a reminder to those with limited attention spans, the fixes released actually addressed a few key issues which were raised in this very thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380436-Football-Manager-2014-Update-14.2.2-*RELEASED*?p=9327824&viewfull=1#post9327824

I'd suggest that these positively affect more than a couple of users.

Ignore my criticism of no through balls now, it seems two of the most important players in my side have the useless "Stops Play" PPM. Probably explains why my DLF/S is ignoring the midfielders running past him and in on goal and instead dribbling with the ball backwards about 20 yards. My criticism of the hoofing remains though.

Oh well, time to start a new save. It's pretty much impossible to set up any coherent tactic with Colchester at the start because the team is ridiculously underrated and is actually rated as one of the worst sides in League for a large number of the categories. Oh, and we have to finish at least mid table, and making the number of necessary changes to actually make the side decent would make any sort of tactical familiarity non existant. It doesn't matter any way, because the side has no money to make transfer and barely any of the players are sellable. -sigh- I hope there are big changes for the Colchester side in the next database update. There was a lot of knee jerking after the 9 match losing streak last season just before the last database update, and there were barely any changes for FM14 (to the senior side, at least).

It doesn't really change what you think FM have done to Colchester (or not done!), but if you really don't agree with what Colchester is in-game you can be the researcher/database man and make the squad and club exactly as you think they should be through the Editor? Might be worth a shout if you're wanting a Colchester save as you think it should be?

well actually "buddy boy" I do feeback contrucitvely...but "people on here" don't reply or just delete comments and feedback because they don't agree with it..SI is a poor poor company releasing sub standard products...how many patches is this now??

delete comments so we don't all have to read through completely pointless posts that you tend to make if you don't like the product don't buy it...its a simple concept its like buying a meal if you don't like it you won't buy it again. And as for being a poor poor company really don't think thats the case is it

It doesn't really change what you think FM have done to Colchester (or not done!), but if you really don't agree with what Colchester is in-game you can be the researcher/database man and make the squad and club exactly as you think they should be through the Editor? Might be worth a shout if you're wanting a Colchester save as you think it should be?

For some reason, that just feels like cheating to me. Not to mention, being a Colchester fan, I feel like I'd have a tendency to overrate them in comparison to the current underrating. I could try I guess, I certainly want to get rid of that ridiculous "Runs With Ball Rarely" on Drey Wright.

For some reason, that just feels like cheating to me. Not to mention, being a Colchester fan, I feel like I'd have a tendency to overrate them in comparison to the current underrating. I could try I guess, I certainly want to get rid of that ridiculous "Runs With Ball Rarely" on Drey Wright.

Fair one, and understood but if you're disciplined with it (and maybe a wee bit harsher than you'd want to be :D ).....

There is too low a conversion rate for 1 on 1's and other clear cut chances

There is if your tactics in the final third are all wrong. Made my own tactic recently, and while it still needs work done to it, one of the big plus points is my shot conversion rate. In my last three games I've had 10 shots on target, and I've scored five of them. (2-2. 1-0, 2-0). It's the first time in the game this year that I've managed to nail that side of it (so far!). I'm finding it's better to have fewer, more accurate shots than 30+ shots a game where only one goes in.

Played a few games now and one thing that does stand out is the poor defending. Different game I know but in FM13 I had no problem in defending well it was scoring that was the problem. Now it's the other way around and yet I have used my defensive set up from 13. Was 4-0 up after 12 minutes against a bottom of the table Crystal Palace side. That should absolutely destroy their confidence but they hit long balls which are far too accurate and I scrambled over the line 5-3. Ok, maybe I should have gone a bit more defensive but IRL the opposition would have been on the floor!!

However I must say the thing I have noticed is how random it all seems to be. It's a bit like basketball, you attack, they attack maybe that's down a bit to the fact that extended and comprehensive highlights just seems to whizz past with nothing but goalmouth action compared to a bit of nothingness in 13. It seems a bit like flying a plane but the plane is on autopilot but that's just my opinion.

There is if your tactics in the final third are all wrong. Made my own tactic recently, and while it still needs work done to it, one of the big plus points is my shot conversion rate. In my last three games I've had 10 shots on target, and I've scored five of them. (2-2. 1-0, 2-0). It's the first time in the game this year that I've managed to nail that side of it (so far!). I'm finding it's better to have fewer, more accurate shots than 30+ shots a game where only one goes in.

How do tactics come into it when he's talking about one on one chances? How could tactics affect that whatsoever? Unless there's a manager out there who's telling his team not to score when through on goal?

I'm not saying they are broke, or are too low, but everything being palmed off as tactics is ridiculous.

Glad to see that there is still no fix for the AI scoring with every corner and having two shots and goal and scoring them both, getting pretty frustrated now :(

If those problems existed I'm sure SI would be working on them. Except, well, y'know......

How do tactics come into it when he's talking about one on one chances? How could tactics affect that whatsoever? Unless there's a manager out there who's telling his team not to score when through on goal?

I'm not saying they are broke, or are too low, but everything being palmed off as tactics is ridiculous.

IMO the majority of issues people have with the game end up being tactical. There's still a few issues with the game right now, but I don't believe that 1v1 chances is one of them. If you have an over-attacking tactic where you're rushing shots all over the shop, players' confidence when through on goal is reduced, thereby making these chances harder to take. I'm learning that it's better to have fewer shots, but more composed efforts when I get them. In the three games I've won since I tweaked my new tactic, my striker has scored two of the three 1v1s that he's had, because he's had time and space to pick his spot due to a more patient build up from midfield.

Of course, such is the low real life conversion rates of these chances, I don't expect that ratio to be kept up fully, but I'm encouraged by the difference so far. I've had saves where my strikers have been missing chance after chance, but rather than mindlessly blame the ME, I made an effort to find out if it was something I could fix myself, and early signs are that it is.

Because a high % of the users who have the issue use high pressure, fast, attacking tactics that encourage rush football with a shoot on sight policy which leaves a lot of their chances being from poor areas from players who are off balance or not in a good position to take the shot. They don't give their players time on the ball to take a second to pick their spot.

They also tend to have an unrealistic perception of how many chances should be scored.

Haha, just had one player give away three penalties in one match. After he'd conceded his 2nd one, I went to sub him, but before there was a break in play for the substitution to take place, he conceded another one! :lol:

Needless to say when he went off he had a 4.4 rating...

How could one on one misses related to tactic at all, if it does then penalty kick misses should be related to tactic too yeah...

Hell no, it's about the stat of the striker like composure, finishing and the goalkeeper's stat like one on one.

Because a high % of the users who have the issue use high pressure, fast, attacking tactics that encourage rush football with a shoot on sight policy which leaves a lot of their chances being from poor areas from players who are off balance or not in a good position to take the shot. They don't give their players time on the ball to take a second to pick their spot.

They also tend to have an unrealistic perception of how many chances should be scored.

I play low control drop deeper stand off 4 2 3 1 liverpool XD

How could one on one misses related to tactic at all

Because all you are thinking about is the shot on goal, and not what's gone before it. A 1v1 chance where you only have a split second to hit it will generally be less successful than the same chance where the striker has that extra second. And the reason why the striker will have the extra time to pick his spot will be down to the build up from behind. Which is tactical. This is why you'll see good conversion rates by AI forwards when you play against them with a poorly thought out tactic. People think the game is rigged in favour of the AI when they score with their only shot on goal when you've had 30+, but it's really not that at all.

Edit - Here's an example from my last game. Just a screenshot, so you don't really see what's gone on before, but the forward has been played in by a lovely weighted ball from the AMC and although is slighly wider than he maybe would have liked, doesn't have a defender within a couple of yards of him. End result, a calm, composed finish into the back of the net. This happened right on half time, and was his first clear cut chance of the match.

B7PeHyL.jpg

Because all you are thinking about is the shot on goal, and not what's gone before it. A 1v1 chance where you only have a split second to hit it will generally be less successful than the same chance where the striker has that extra second. And the reason why the striker will have the extra time to pick his spot will be down to the build up from behind. Which is tactical. This is why you'll see good conversion rates by AI forwards when you play against them with a poorly thought out tactic. People think the game is rigged in favour of the AI when they score with their only shot on goal when you've had 30+, but it's really not that at all.

Even with bucket loads of time , more than 90% of 1 on 1's are missed. I have 2 pacy strikers and I dont know why but some AI teams play a high line and a throughball from one of my strikers sets the other one free with atleast half the opposition half empty and he dribbles and then shoots at the goal keeper all the time , I only watch 2D now so thats how it feels and it's not like it's once chance here and there.

Just lost a game to Bayern 1-2 and I missed 4 one on ones . 3 from my advanced forward all hit the keeper and 1 from my right winger hit the post . All of those shots were taken with no defender around them and a lot of time to think and maybe take a nap and then shoot.

Archived