Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

There's a subtle but crucial difference between a successful tactic and an exploitative one.

To use the previous chap's save as an example. He's the manager of Wigan in the first season. You get a generous transfer/wage budget at the start of the season. A successful tactic would win the club promotion, and possibly a decent cup run.

An exploitative tactic is one where you win every trophy in the first season, including a European trophy. I mean really? A European trophy whilst in the Championship and having won both domestic cups? That's really not right. That to me is a far bigger 'bug' than any of the ME glitches.

But perhaps that's just me.

Here I agree with you. It is a bug when I can achieve all that in the 1st season but it isn't me that's at fault, I just modified a tactic to take account of the AI's liking of the long ball game and defend better against it so being accused of cheating for actually having the audacity to win is somewhat annoying.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so being accused of cheating for actually having the audacity to win is somewhat annoying.

I couldn't care less if you cheat, it's your game. I'm only interested in the ongoing development of the game. And IMO, your achievements in the first season with Wigan are massively unrealistic. That's why I would urge people to report those circumstances. If it's the game that's at fault and you haven't also cheated yourself like you claim, surely it's in the game's best interests for you to upload it? You'll have nothing to hide.

I couldn't care less if you cheat, it's your game. I'm only interested in the ongoing development of the game. And IMO, your achievements in the first season with Wigan are massively unrealistic. That's why I would urge people to report those circumstances. If it's the game that's at fault and you haven't also cheated yourself like you claim, surely it's in the game's best interests for you to upload it? You'll have nothing to hide.

You're a really annoying person on here y'know.

In any event, the 'killing' of super tactics in 13 wasn't entirely successful, they just went underground more. It's entirely viable to not cheat and win everything, even where it's entirely unrealistic. Claiming otherwise is only going to fuel the "misinformation" fire that is, the game is scripted to prevent it.

End of the day, someone else actually put a decent point across, there's some disparity with tactics and results, tactic A can win everything for person A but do sod all for person B, even if they both do the same thing throughout. Bad luck? Narrow window of victory? Who knows. Also there's a good summation of the feeling of the AI (yours or the opposition) being completely useless when on the losing team.

I think they missed a post early in this topic or the old one where someone pointed out the main flaw is that there's not enough midfield battles and the breaking up of moves/turn over of possession in the middle of the park. The flow of play goes from A to B. Whether that's true or not I can't really say, on my games the flow of 'A-B' is the opposition goal and the halfway line because I can make my tactic keep the possession stat in my half to a fanciful 0-2% consistently. Odd isn't it?

You're a really annoying person on here y'know.

In any event, the 'killing' of super tactics in 13 wasn't entirely successful, they just went underground more. It's entirely viable to not cheat and win everything, even where it's entirely unrealistic. Claiming otherwise is only going to fuel the "misinformation" fire that is, the game is scripted to prevent it.

End of the day, someone else actually put a decent point across, there's some disparity with tactics and results, tactic A can win everything for person A but do sod all for person B, even if they both do the same thing throughout. Bad luck? Narrow window of victory? Who knows. Also there's a good summation of the feeling of the AI (yours or the opposition) being completely useless when on the losing team.

I think they missed a post early in this topic or the old one where someone pointed out the main flaw is that there's not enough midfield battles and the breaking up of moves/turn over of possession in the middle of the park. The flow of play goes from A to B. Whether that's true or not I can't really say, on my games the flow of 'A-B' is the opposition goal and the halfway line because I can make my tactic keep the possession stat in my half to a fanciful 0-2% consistently. Odd isn't it?

To be fair, that will probably only be true if you watch Extended or Key highlights. There are plenty of break-up of play and midfield battles on Comprehensive and Full. However, they often look a bit awkward because of the bad first touches and frequent decisions to try to pass through players directly in the path to the target... several times in a row, as well as the tackler's "pause" being longer than that of the guy being tackled who subsequently get the ball back.

It's entirely viable to not cheat and win everything, even where it's entirely unrealistic.

But this is the point I'm making though. People are really quick to come on and fire insults towards the developers because there's an 'unrealistic amount of corners and own goals'. You know, along the lines of 'you've had months to sort this out...unfinished product...we're all just beta testers' etc etc etc.

And yet, this craving for realism seems to go on hold when you get a situation like the poster's above. To win all those trophies with Wigan in the first season is a FAR more serious issue for the game than whether you have 15 corners or hit the post four times. But will it get reported? Of course not.

People only want 'realism' when it suits.

to be fair, it is possible to win trophies with Wigan realistically, did they not win the FA cup?

some of us want realism in the match side, I got a Wigan save, I signed some great players, so yes I expect to do well, even scored DIRECTLY from a corner (beat that one :D), the problem lies in the bonkers passing and mistakes which are not realistic.

Okay and honest question. Why is "I don't have anything specific to say right now, you all know what to do out there." an option for a team talk in this game when it never yields any positive response from the players? What's even more amazing is how often your assistant will recommend this team talk. Is this just there as a trap for players that sometimes just let the assistant do the talking at half time and miss out on the occasional lazy talk from your assistant?

Or am I totally wrong in my experience with that team talk and other people had their team preform like world champions after such a team talk? I never got anything but a disaster performance and bad reaction from my team whenever I let my assistant do that team talk.

I cannot arrange friendly matches anymore (after the season has started). It happened with 14.2.1 and it's still happening with 14.2.2. The only options are "nearby teams" (greyed out), U21, U18, choose other. If I "choose other", every team rejects the offer as they have a "busy schedule". I used to arrange one or two friendlies when I didn't have to play league games for two or more weeks.

Is it a bug?

Not if the other teams have matches it isn't.

Of course they don't have matches. I think I'll report it as a bug.

Of course they don't have matches. I think I'll report it as a bug.

They don't have to have matches on that specific date. If they have games within a couple of days either side of the proposed fixture, they simply won't be interested, and/or if they already have a heavy schedule, they also won't entertain it. How many teams play friendlies during the season? The only time I ever try and arrange this is during an international break, as it's unlikely smaller teams will have any players in action during this time.

The only time I ever try and arrange this is during an international break, as it's unlikely smaller teams will have any players in action during this time.

Exactly. During international breaks. And against Amateur / Reserves / U21s / U18s teams. I could do that with no problems at all in FM13 and FM14 until the 14.2.1 update. I don't know why I can't do that anymore. I also remember my U21 and U18 managers used to arrange a lot of friendlies during the season, but now they don't.

I've been playing around with the game for the past 3 months, playing a full season, the starting from scratch and changing tactics/players etc to see which is best before I decide to concentrate on one tactic and best players to buy with my budget etc and start on my main long saved game.

So far I've used 4 different tactics 3-5-2. 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and the Man City 4-2-2-2 (variation on 4-4-2) 4-2-3-1 works well but needs the 3 main attacking mids to be on their game all the time and the Man City works very well as long as you get the tactics and player shouts spot on, the strikers score for fun.

As yet I'm not seeing anything like all the so called bugs everyone seems to go on about, no goalkeeper madness, few o.g's, normal amount of goals from corners and my strikers score well in the correct system. 1st touch is a wee bit off but then again it adds a bit of realism to the game, don't want all normal players having the touch of Messi.

I just wonder at times if I and many like me have a different game and version to all the people who either moan or just cannot get their tactics and game to work properly, the game will never be perfect but is hugely better than the disaster of last years version.

Hello,

Playing as Rangers in 2016.

Bid for Argentinian Leandro Gonzalez Pirez who plays for AA Gent 11/06/2016

Bid is accepted and player agrees to move.

Move is held up by work permit application with (first) decision being made on 21/06/2016

Pirez gains Belgium Citizenship on the 16/06/2016

However, player still had to wait until work permit decision to move.

Small bug but i think a bug all the same.

Raised in bugs forum

Ta

But this is the point I'm making though. People are really quick to come on and fire insults towards the developers because there's an 'unrealistic amount of corners and own goals'. You know, along the lines of 'you've had months to sort this out...unfinished product...we're all just beta testers' etc etc etc.

And yet, this craving for realism seems to go on hold when you get a situation like the poster's above. To win all those trophies with Wigan in the first season is a FAR more serious issue for the game than whether you have 15 corners or hit the post four times. But will it get reported? Of course not.

But SI and the serial defenders of it claim it is a simulation whereas I have always said it should be a game. The expectations are different. Simulations where unrealistic things happen 2 releases in a row are not very good - that may have been more tolerable in a "game". Likewise in a game you should be able to do things that are fun over things that are realistic. It is not just about terminology though, striving for "realism" FM12 was "upgraded" to FM13/14 but the issues with the later game(s) mean it does not feel like much of an upgrade. For me most of the fun has been sucked out of FM with the FM13 ME releases, and this despite some great new features within the game (eg FMC). Maybe "unfinished" is unfair but "not properly playable until 3-4 months after release" seems reasonable comment.

I don't understand why there's always little interest in stars. Rooney has been transfer listed for 4 years and no one ever bid for him. Same with Jovetic, Nasri, Reus. Yes the wages are high but there were even no loan offers. Right now Gotze at 26 years old is transfer listed for 6 million pounds and there are no interested teams.

Bigger problem are the constantly underperforming opponents (AI guided teams), especially in Italian Serie A (eg. Fiorentina, Roma). Not everyone is winning every possible trophy with Wigan, Augsburg, or Sassuolo, it's just a few cases.

I don't understand why there's always little interest in stars. Rooney has been transfer listed for 4 years and no one ever bid for him. Same with Jovetic, Nasri, Reus. Yes the wages are high but there were even no loan offers. Right now Gotze at 26 years old is transfer listed for 6 million pounds and there are no interested teams.

How many playable leagues have you got?

How big is your database?

Basically it comes down to the teams in the right reputation leagues and with the right level of reputation themselves already have enough players in those positions and don't need more, possible caused by the low number of playable leagues selected for the size of database you have selected.

Basically it comes down to the teams in the right reputation leagues and with the right level of reputation themselves already have enough players in those positions and don't need more, possible caused by the low number of playable leagues selected for the size of database you have selected.

So are you suggesting that the more 'playable' leagues we load the more chance there is of actually selling players ?

Is it me or is the speed of the play in the ME a bit quicker this year? In FM13 I had the speed slider down the middle and that seemed quite natural. In the middle this time everything seems to move at the speed of light!!! A click to the left and it's too slow and cumbersome.

Ive only loaded up the BPL but do get some random offers for my players from other teams abroad BUT if anyone who has a good pc could load up a DB of all first league of major countries as PLAYABLE could offer some feedback in comparison to loading only one major league as playable

So are you suggesting that the more 'playable' leagues we load the more chance there is of actually selling players ?

I've heard that said before, and from my experience it seems true. Haven't done any tests or anything, but it sure seems like you get more offers from teams in playable leagues.

Having a small number of playable leagues is fine as long as you don't overdo it with the size of the database you load. For example, if you're going to load up just the English leagues, it's advisable to use only a small database. Whilst this might cut down the amount of players you can buy, it's also a lot easier to sell your existing players. If you load up a large or larger custom database you then give the other clubs so many more players to choose from making it harder for you to sell your own players. It's all about supply and demand really.

I regularly load up too many players for the leagues I run, as I prefer having more players I can scout and bring in. I know the trade off for this is that it'll be harder to sell my players, particularly those whose wages far outstrip their abilities.

It all comes down to your own preference really.

It works for me.

The way I look at it is:

You only load England on a large database, thats 20 Prem clubs with a max squad of 25 who are buying players + some other high rep clubs (Who don't have full squads). Say you are Man Utd who are you going to sell Rooney to? Unlikely to be another English club due to league rivalry, that leaves a handful of overseas clubs who aren't buying many players and already have players in that position from you loading a large database.

It stands to reason if you have too many players in your database for the number of playable teams that the market will be flooded. It might be easy to pick up all those good free players but you won't have a hope of selling anyone.

Good save = Balance between leagues/players = active transfer market.

Ive only loaded up the BPL but do get some random offers for my players from other teams abroad BUT if anyone who has a good pc could load up a DB of all first league of major countries as PLAYABLE could offer some feedback in comparison to loading only one major league as playable

I always load at least the top league of major European nations + some others and I always have a realistic transfer market.

I never seen so much people complainig about one game :)) We can just hope that SI can handle critics and hope they will do something good in next FM. There is no patch or fix that will make 2014 good game, don't waste your time people this game is just some kind of football manager simulation with random results, no matter what players and tactic you have. I read every day posts here, some of them are deleted cause someone can't handle critics, that's not fair, those people were completely right, you can't delete post to cover bad sides of your game so you can sell more.

I never seen so much people complainig about one game :)) We can just hope that SI can handle critics and hope they will do something good in next FM. There is no patch or fix that will make 2014 good game, don't waste your time people this game is just some kind of football manager simulation with random results, no matter what players and tactic you have. I read every day posts here, some of them are deleted cause someone can't handle critics, that's not fair, those people were completely right, you can't delete post to cover bad sides of your game so you can sell more.

And your comment will be deleted pretty soon as well.. :lol:

And your comment will be deleted pretty soon as well.. :lol:

These comments may not be liked but they must be heard, certain crucial aspects of the game are not working well just now and are rightly being roundly criticized. If the game isnt sorted by the February patch then for me SI owe everyone who bought this at least an apology.

The reason comments are being deleted are because they offer nothing to the discussion or contain insults to other users in. Posting "waah the game is broken I'm not buying this piece of junk anymore" doesn't help anyone. Feedback is welcome, hence the thread but it needs to be constructive, not someone throwing their toys out of the pram because they don't understand the tactics for example. There's a bugs forum for you to post in and upload .pkm's in demonstrating issues. And as for not seeing people complain about a game as much, clearly you weren't around when there was the activation debacle with FM08. That was a "fun" week or so on here.

Large DB, 18 leagues. Surely enough teams to develop at least some interest in buying those players :) Instead Rooney hasn't played almost at all in 5 years and signed on a free for a League 1 side.

Story of one match. I was facing Fleetwood in l2. I did check their tactics, found who's their biggest threat and finally how they will play. I was prepared and had a plan. Finally match day...well deserved 0-3 win, dominating every aspect of a match. Unfortunatle after that game I had first crash so had to play it again.Luckily I just saved befor the match. Used excally the same line up, match instructions, roles and duties, team talks and oi's and so on. After the match I found myself confused becasue I lost it and I lost it in the same manner as I won first time.

At this stage I asked myslef a question : How on earth It is possible to have two completly different matches using the same settings. First match - totally dominated them,second - being totally dominated. I was like night and day difference. I don' get it, how I can creat a tactics that works when I can get two different outcomes using thesame settings ? I mean after first match - I was happy, my tactics served well I didn't saw any need to change things but after reloaded match conclusion could be that my tactic was terrible so...were there good or bad ???

Defence, Set Pieces (corners, freek kicks, penalties just to loose the match) are bugged.

Headers also. Its like you head exactly to your opponent for him to gain possesion and score against you.

Its like it happens on purpose so that you get punished all the time.

Also this : http://youtu.be/QKHzmZ9oLTk

Please fix ME and dont wait transfers patch to publish together.

Large DB, 18 leagues. Surely enough teams to develop at least some interest in buying those players :) Instead Rooney hasn't played almost at all in 5 years and signed on a free for a League 1 side.

With 18 leagues I would certainly be using a small database.

You really can't blame SI for a poor transfer market when as a user you have created an unbalanced game world.

With 18 leagues I would certainly be using a small database.

You really can't blame SI for a poor transfer market when as a user you have created an unbalanced game world.

That's a bit weird, considering that the more leagues you have loaded as playable, the more realistic the simulation is going to be.

Although I have loaded 24 leagues or more with a Large DB and in February 2018 I don't see this at all - at least without thoroughly searching for such anomalies.

At this stage I asked myslef a question : How on earth It is possible to have two completly different matches using the same settings

Goals change matches. You scored first the first time you played it, they scored first in the next one. That changes the whole dynamic of a game. Teams who score first generally win around 70% of their matches. It'll all be down to how both you and the AI reacted to going a goal up/down. I daresay with the first game you won't have changed too much as you won it comfortably, and the AI couldn't find a way through. In the second game, did you alter anything when you went 1-0 or 2-0 behind? There's so many variables that go into a game, that it's entirely possible for two completely different outcomes.

Anyone else noticing peculiar behavior from covering CB's/BPCB's in this patch?

In my game, the covering cb is stepping up as opposed to dropping back when a long ball is played from deep.

This does not happen every time but happens regularly enough and always results in me conceding a goal.

Don't have a pkm to upload at the minute but, shouldn't be long before it happens again.

Thinking it may be a bug (possibly with where the ME is placing the CB on the highlights?).

Anyone else seen it?

Goals change matches. You scored first the first time you played it, they scored first in the next one. That changes the whole dynamic of a game. Teams who score first generally win around 70% of their matches. It'll all be down to how both you and the AI reacted to going a goal up/down. I daresay with the first game you won't have changed too much as you won it comfortably, and the AI couldn't find a way through. In the second game, did you alter anything when you went 1-0 or 2-0 behind? There's so many variables that go into a game, that it's entirely possible for two completely different outcomes.

This.

Say you main playmaker could has a worldy one game and gets two assists to his name then, you replay it. This time he could get tackled hard in the first minute and, because he has low bravery and doesn't like it up him, has a shocker for the rest of the match leading to you having to hook him at half time.

And that's an extreme scenario. Much smaller things happen constantly to change the outcome of a match.

Dear SI DEV team

Is It gonna be big fix or tuning of Match Engine anytime Soon ???

Say After EPL Market close ???

Not going to be answered definitively. There will be a database update sometime in March I imagine (not confirmed, could change, blah), and there may or may not be an update to the game itself along with that. Depends what's ready to go by then.

Having a small number of playable leagues is fine as long as you don't overdo it with the size of the database you load. For example, if you're going to load up just the English leagues, it's advisable to use only a small database. Whilst this might cut down the amount of players you can buy, it's also a lot easier to sell your existing players. If you load up a large or larger custom database you then give the other clubs so many more players to choose from making it harder for you to sell your own players. It's all about supply and demand really.

I regularly load up too many players for the leagues I run, as I prefer having more players I can scout and bring in. I know the trade off for this is that it'll be harder to sell my players, particularly those whose wages far outstrip their abilities.

It all comes down to your own preference really.

I honestly never thought about this!

I've always found that my major complaint with all FM's is the fact that the AI never seem to buy any of my players.

But, i've always played with a massive DB so that explains it.

Can't believe i've never put two and two together.

Must test this in my next game.

Good work Dave

If there's indeed a link with the fluidity of the market and the size of the database, there really should be something added into the game, maybe as part of the "Recommended Setup" when you start a new game which tells you ideally how many players you should be loading. Of course, it's not that simple, as it depends how those players are distributed, but I'd be surprised if SI couldn't optimise things a little whereby they could set the database up so that the number of players are balanced through all the teams. Then if you're loading too many, a warning can be shown that this may affect transfer dealings.

Yeap after 1-0 I changed few things without any effect. The played like Barcelona whole match whilst in the first match my team looked like Barcelona vs amateurs. For sure it's possible to have two different outcomes but I won't agree that those two matches can be so one sided.

This.

Say you main playmaker could has a worldy one game and gets two assists to his name then, you replay it. This time he could get tackled hard in the first minute and, because he has low bravery and doesn't like it up him, has a shocker for the rest of the match leading to you having to hook him at half time.

And that's an extreme scenario. Much smaller things happen constantly to change the outcome of a match.

You're saying that one tackle can turn good tactic into awful one ? Or no tackle will keep good tactic as good one or will change bad into good one ? :) If that's the case then it's way too random.

You're saying that one tackle can turn good tactic into awful one ? Or no tackle will keep good tactic as good one or will change bad into good one ? :) If that's the case then it's way too random.

Not turn a tactic bad but it can change the outcome of the match

I'm not saying it will happen often (i did say it was an extreme scenario) but it's possible.

Let me put it this way.

If Chelsea and United replayed Sundays game 100 times, do you think the score would be 3-1 in every instance of the reply? Do you think Vidic would get sent off 100 times? Do you think Rafael would have stayed on the pitch 100 times?

It's not a case of 'turning a good tactic bad' or vice versa. You can have a good, solid tactic and still lose a game if the opposition take their chances and you don't. But like I said, just like in real life, the first goal in a game is crucial. It can all come down to how you (or the AI) responds to it.

Yeah it can.

I'm not saying it will happen often (i did say it was an extreme scenario) but it's possible.

Let me put it this way.

If Chelsea and United replayed Sundays game 100 times, do you think the score would be 3-1 in every instance of the reply? Do you think Vidic would get sent off 100 times? Do you think Rafael would have stayed on the pitch 100 times?

If Chelsea tactics neutralized all United threats then I would say they will win majority of matches, not exactly in the same manner but there should be a pattern. All in all it's just presumption as you can't replay match irl...who knows maybe Chelsea would win all 100 matches ?

Archived