Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Moan away, it can be good to let it all out (it's even better when you accompany it with a .pkm - thanks for the upload!)

This is what this thread needs to be: feedback about the state of the game, including the highlighting of issues that help or hinder your enjoyment, a grumble about why issues are an issue for you, and it supported appropriately in the Bugs Forum.

There are lots of really good posters in here who are doing an excellent job of doing just that, and it is people who use the forums in this manner who help to improve the game.

Happy weekend everyone, it's Friday at last :thup:

To be fair the constructive feedback seems a little one way to me. Customers are expected to feedback PKM's etc and can only expect a stock answer of "yes, we're aware of that and am looking in to it, wait out" at best as feedback in return. At worst the customer doesn't get any feedback whatsoever.

I completely understand why SI don't, and would be living in la-la land to expect otherwise, but how about SI feedback already known issues next time they decide to sell a product before it's released and paid for? Like the German transfer bug. Ask Miles to release a youtube vid on that pre-release? No? That would be silly, but the right thing to do if 'constructive feedback' is the game we play here. You can't have it both ways. Or you can actually, because that's what games producers can get away with.

SI do brilliant work in customer support, far better than many games companies, but I completely understand some of the frustrations here that are stamped down on (not so much by SI or mods admittedly) in to slugfests. You're the guys caught up in the middle, you deserve a free version for life imvho, but let's not forget who is being asked to do what here after paying out good money. Sometimes it just needs venting, constructive or not.

I really wish everyone would wait until the game was fully patched every March or February. Me included, it might wake the suits in marketing/finance up a tad on what constructive feedback is as in voting with their feet constructively. I won't hold my breath, I'll no doubt buy it on release day next year so am part of the problem that frustrates, but some here need to cut some slack in this one way street.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The amount of corners in every match is too damn high.

Last match I had 27 corners. Right now I'm in a match, I've had 10 corners by the 27th minute :lol:

Also, way too much woodwork and too many one on ones missed.

Other than that the game is fine imho.

And the amount of corners crossing all the pitch from side to side without a single player touching the ball is unreasonable

This actually explains quite a lot for those that are struggling tactically, if the AI is tackling and generally better at having success in the stat departments - then you have to understand that there is something not quite right with your tactical set-ups. The AI will generally know what the (overall) strength of your team is, the AI will then use (certain) Strategies and the instructions to go with it (which is a lot less complicated than you can imagine) to combat your team. If you don't know how to do generally the same thing, you will be outside of the "reward" element that this game offers and thus will cause you to struggle - there is nothing the AI can do that the human user can't do (and a lot better, I might add...)

You're right, but besides i have to say one thing that i find very significant.

Yesterday i moaned about this game and the unplayability, the individual errors of my players ecc.

I tried to play a 4-3-3 with 2 wingers (inside forward) and i was SO frustrated. Then i switch, this evening, to a 4-3-3 with 3 CF (if i can explain this :D) and then i win 5 games in a row, some of these with very good results (maybe TOO good?) like 5-1, 4-0 ecc.

I play Sassuolo in my last save, and the change it's been immediately after i switch the tactic.

SO, i have to think, there is something wrong in the wings role. Still, i won only 2 titles in this FM, one was incredible: the second season i won Serie A with Fiorentina. The other was Eredivise with Ajax.

In both cases i played formation without wings.

Can we say that the wingers are something like bugged?

Surely players far too good than me (like Herrington, Dagenham and others) can suffer this in a minor way, but i have to say that my opinion is this: wingers must be revisited.

Weren't wingers extremely problematic in FM13 as well anyway? Where they would either cheese run the whole field and score from 1 yard away from goal or be completely useless, at least until they got fixed, at which point the stupidiness of defenders and goalkeepers was too much to bother whether wingers were improved to a decent enough level.

They always seem to be a hit or miss thing each year. I'd surely agree that they need a deeper look into.

Wingers were incredibly overpowered in the first build of this game. That was by far the biggest complaint that no-one could tackle them. I think they're just about right now, other that there is still some dodgy decision making when running the channels into the penalty area. A few more cut-backs would be nice rather than going for goal nearly every time. But that's not necessarily indigenous to this version.

Wingers were incredibly overpowered in the first build of this game. That was by far the biggest complaint that no-one could tackle them. I think they're just about right now, other that there is still some dodgy decision making when running the channels into the penalty area. A few more cut-backs would be nice rather than going for goal nearly every time. But that's not necessarily indigenous to this version.

Yes, i thought that this was the problem. In the beginning, wingers was too effective, i think that they tried to make them less lethal but now to be honest are rubbish.

My results was changed in a incredible way the moment i put them out: the moment i write im in 4th position with Sassuolo, i managed to beat Milan and Inter without 2-3 key players. What the?

I've found the perfect tactic? I don't think so, until 19:00 i was one of the worst manager ever! :D

There is no perfect tactic in this version of the game.

That's fine.

What is not fine, for me and for many others, is that no single setup can cope even remotely well vs a variety of opposition strategies. And "well" means, having a fighting chance.

I don't wish to manage at that tactical detail level. That's why I prefer Fluid philosophies; I tell them, "adapt - do what you think is best!"

I hope that the final update is more balanced, because now I just can't be bothered.

Just finished top of the championship with Wigan, won the league cup, FA cup & Europa league, all with a single tactic which is a slightly modified version of one I downloaded from steam workshop. Sure I lost a few games, 7 to be exact but if you think Wigan winning all that is realistic then please come to the DW and be our mascot :)

After you say this, i lost 3 games in a row :(

Again i have to remark absurd results in every career i play.

This is a game, but must to be more realistic. I see Russia, Senegal (!) and Belgium World Champions in 2014 in different saves.

And this game (not my team involved, but...come on) simply it can't be real.

zn3l7a.jpg

Now, i know that many can say "it can be happen".

Of course it can be, but examples of these results are limitless...

I think that SI must take a look because like this (and with certain World Champions) this is crazy...

What's wrong with Senegal getting world championship? They have among the strongest national teams. Russia and Belgium are kinda weaker though, but not that low.

Since the last stages are elimination and not a league, then anything can happen. If anything, the most unrealistic result is how often England gets worlds in 2014. :lol:

Just finished top of the championship with Wigan, won the league cup, FA cup & Europa league, all with a single tactic which is a slightly modified version of one I downloaded from steam workshop. Sure I lost a few games, 7 to be exact but if you think Wigan winning all that is realistic then please come to the DW and be our mascot :)

Haha I hope this is true.

If so I'll come visit in the executive box also!

Even with a decent downloaded tactic, that shouldn't have been possible. That must have been upwards of 70 games in the one season. The first season no less, so your team wouldn't have been great, unless you've massively cheated.

Anyway, that's hardly an example of a 'perfect' tactic, quite the opposite in fact. That's a tactic which shows the game is still flawed.

You won't of course, but if you're interested in the game's development, you should upload that save in the bugs forum so SI can see where the ME is being exploited.

Since ive updated to new patch on the last 24 hours its raining torn hamstrings. Havent changed anything to my previously successful tactic or training regime, yet first season up in the prem with Yeovil on new patch and ive suffered no less than 4 torn hamstrings to key players and its only xmas. Hope this is just the FM gods hating on me other than a bug…..

zn3l7a.jpg

Now, i know that many can say "it can be happen".

Of course it can be, but examples of these results are limitless...

Limitless? Are you applying "specific marking" duties, by any chance? I don't think SI should lock those off for any position (even CBs) or in general, but it might be a good idea to get their implications across before people realize it's too late (and occasionally still can't see why).

Speaking of exploit tactics.

I think the in-between positions need to be looked very thoroughly. They always seem to be the ones who cause the issues and exploits. Like AML/R in FM13(pre-fixes), DMs in FM12, etc. Or how AMC and WBL/R always seem to be extremely undertuned and ineffective when compared to other roles for their respective duties. (especially AMC, close to every year they just aren't worth the trouble compared to AML/R crossing like bosses.)

The flow and impact between these positions seems a priority in my opinion.

Other than that, I hope people stop the witch hunt of every tactic that is successful. It's been this whole fervor over the last years that actually causes people to use exploit tactics, since some people keep on insisting that winning with one proper tactic shouldn't be possible and many people end up having their tactic turn from hero to zero overnight. That's not exactly fun, nor does it improves the game directly. It only causes a circle when it comes to power between roles.

Other than that, I hope people stop the witch hunt of every tactic that is successful. It's been this whole fervor over the last years that actually causes people to use exploit tactics, since some people keep on insisting that winning with one proper tactic shouldn't be possible and many people end up having their tactic turn from hero to zero overnight.

There's a subtle but crucial difference between a successful tactic and an exploitative one.

To use the previous chap's save as an example. He's the manager of Wigan in the first season. You get a generous transfer/wage budget at the start of the season. A successful tactic would win the club promotion, and possibly a decent cup run.

An exploitative tactic is one where you win every trophy in the first season, including a European trophy. I mean really? A European trophy whilst in the Championship and having won both domestic cups? That's really not right. That to me is a far bigger 'bug' than any of the ME glitches.

But perhaps that's just me.

Limitless? Are you applying "specific marking" duties, by any chance? I don't think SI should lock those off for any position (even CBs) or in general, but it might be a good idea to get their implications across before people realize it's too late (and occasionally still can't see why).

It wasn't my game, but a game "AI vs AI" in my career.

Things like this happens way too often. In one career i see 0-6, 1-5, even 0-8 or 7 with 3-4 goals by the same men - once a defender!

The results, outside even your team, sometimes are real crazy.

There's a subtle but crucial difference between a successful tactic and an exploitative one.

To use the previous chap's save as an example. He's the manager of Wigan in the first season. You get a generous transfer/wage budget at the start of the season. A successful tactic would win the club promotion, and possibly a decent cup run.

An exploitative tactic is one where you win every trophy in the first season, including a European trophy. I mean really? A European trophy whilst in the Championship and having won both domestic cups? That's really not right. That to me is a far bigger 'bug' than any of the ME glitches.

But perhaps that's just me.

I totally agree with Dave.

That's fine.

What is not fine, for me and for many others, is that no single setup can cope even remotely well vs a variety of opposition strategies. And "well" means, having a fighting chance.

Mh, from my experience things haven't drastically changed. That is evident in story and FM forums I frequent. I mean obviously the AI is getting a bit more sophisticated (which is a good thing, but arguably needs to more closely linked to their abilities/attributes somehow sometime in the future, which must be really hard to do as it means defining what better and worse tactical decisions are depending on the overall tactical framework and the situation... good luck with that). But when FM Live was launched SI were having a laugh when people claimed to be "tactical FM experts" for a reason, this happening in the age of completely static AI tactics pre-sets and the 4-2-4 overload tactics that people for some reason still found hard to cope with late in a game. I really doubt it's that clever tbh yet even at its best and in the future making it so that every match against every manager would be a micro battle in tactics obviously would also be just wrong. It might act more logical, but that is no bad thing.

Btw, what would you do in an online save? Apply a collective full front lobotomy so that your human opponents don't try to outsmart you much? :D

Probably another PKM incoming in a bit, but I doubt it's a bug. Set my winger to specifically mark the opposition winger (my fullback is terrible and needs all the help he can get). Winger tracks back and wins the ball, good lad. Then he decides to dribble all the way back to his own six yard line (about 20 yards he ran) and then decides to try and hold the ball up there and he does it badly. Striker just jogs up and prods the ball in the net. -sigh-

He's set to Dribbles More (Probably an oops moment considering he already has Dribbles More Often, but in previous games he'd made some odd decisions when on the ball, passing instead of running etc.) but surely being inside your own box under pressure should override that? And why is he trying to hold the ball up rather than just booting it out?

I cannot arrange friendly matches anymore (after the season has started). It happened with 14.2.1 and it's still happening with 14.2.2. The only options are "nearby teams" (greyed out), U21, U18, choose other. If I "choose other", every team rejects the offer as they have a "busy schedule". I used to arrange one or two friendlies when I didn't have to play league games for two or more weeks.

Is it a bug?

I cannot arrange friendly matches anymore (after the season has started). It happened with 14.2.1 and it's still happening with 14.2.2. The only options are "nearby teams" (greyed out), U21, U18, choose other. If I "choose other", every team rejects the offer as they have a "busy schedule". I used to arrange one or two friendlies when I didn't have to play league games for two or more weeks.

Is it a bug?

Not if the other teams have matches it isn't.

Probably another PKM incoming in a bit, but I doubt it's a bug. Set my winger to specifically mark the opposition winger (my fullback is terrible and needs all the help he can get). Winger tracks back and wins the ball, good lad. Then he decides to dribble all the way back to his own six yard line (about 20 yards he ran) and then decides to try and hold the ball up there and he does it badly. Striker just jogs up and prods the ball in the net. -sigh-

He's set to Dribbles More (Probably an oops moment considering he already has Dribbles More Often, but in previous games he'd made some odd decisions when on the ball, passing instead of running etc.) but surely being inside your own box under pressure should override that? And why is he trying to hold the ball up rather than just booting it out?

its still illogical behaviour. PKM for sure.

Mh, from my experience things haven't drastically changed. That is evident in story and FM forums I frequent. I mean obviously the AI is getting a bit more sophisticated (which is a good thing, but arguably needs to more closely linked to their abilities/attributes somehow sometime in the future, which must be really hard to do as it means defining what better and worse tactical decisions are depending on the overall tactical framework and the situation... good luck with that). But when FM Live was launched SI were having a laugh when people claimed to be "tactical FM experts" for a reason, this happening in the age of completely static AI tactics pre-sets and the 4-2-4 overload tactics that people for some reason still found hard to cope with late in a game. I really doubt it's that clever tbh yet even at its best and in the future making it so that every match against every manager would be a micro battle in tactics obviously would also be just wrong. It might act more logical, but that is no bad thing.

Btw, what would you do in an online save? Apply a collective full front lobotomy so that your human opponents don't try to outsmart you much? :D

All for more sophisticated AI, and of course, if you have the interest in (or knack for) tactical wizardry in-match, then you should be able to do that in FM and get an advantage by doing so. However, in real life there are managers who focus on other sides of football than this. They are not all Mourinho's. I feel that in the two recent FM's, this balance between playing styles has gone too far in the direction of -having- to adapt to the opponent and whatever he does.

Yes you should expect to be hit on the counter if you apply too attacking tactics with no defensive cover, and yes you should expect to struggle to keep possession against a side who fields more midfielders than you and have better players, but your tactic should still do something at all in such an unfortunate matchup. And that's where I think the current build fails and infuriates so many. I have seen people coming in here ranting about the game, posting their tactic and then at a glance it would seem like the mods and "defenders" are right; their tactic looks nonsensical. However, I have also seen posted tactics that seemed reasonable enough, but which led to the user being demolished every match.

The "window of success" seems too small when setting up a tactic. The players appear to interpret the roles too literally in my opinion.

For instance, I wish that applying an Attack mentality to the team meant that the players weighted risk and reward just as well as on Counter or Defend. That they play just as much for each other as on Standard; that the judgment of what is the correct thing to do was situation-based and dependant on skill - especially on more fluid philosophies. I wish that the more generalized roles, Advanced Forward and Deep-lying Forward for instance, would be less specialized than they are now - that in order to get a striker to lurk on the edge of offside and around the box you would have to use the Poacher role because the other ones meant a lot more defensive movement and participation in the buildup of attacking play. Now I feel that unless you put them on Support or a very defensive team mentality they all do that, nevermind that in order to attack with force everyone would have to work hard to regain the ball, including the strikers.

Edit: an example of what I mean; In FM13 I used an Attack mentality and More Direct instruction on an otherwise quite vanilla Very Fluid 343. This meant that plan one was quick, direct passing to the front three who then combined with either the wingers or themselves to create chances. However, if there was no space they would... believe it or not... pass the ball around from flank to flank, back to the defenders, up to a deep-lying forward/TQ, spreading the ball around looking for openings. And that without me changing from Attack to Control or even Standard, or worse applying Retain Possession, Work Ball into Box, Lower Tempo and Shorter Passing for them to do so. True fluidity.

In FM14 Attack and More Direct in Very Fluid is basically the same as Overload with Clear Ball to Flanks, Shoot on Sight and Route One selected (I feel). They will not make informed decisions themselves.

job applications a headache after latest patch.. (I use multiple custom leagues but in 14.0 / 14.1 that was good) Problem is not about employment but UI-wise there is a lag and unresponsiveness...

I love FM and I want to use different type of games not just usual 51-117 but 117-297 .... And this year was best for custom games until 14.2

I just got sacked, after 2 consecutive promotions and a safe top half finish in league 2 when expected to finish bottom. Is SI trolling? My job security was listed as untouchable, yet we had a board takeover and i was replaced.

Wasn't this supposed to be fixed in the recent patch?

Maybe the new board wanted a new management team regardless and this has happened to me before on other versions and like you was doing really well and still got sacked. This is not a bug at all imo.

Another thing i've noticed. Half of the corner results in the player that kick the ball directly out of the field, transforming it into a goal kick.

I played very very very low level on football in real life, and i see this happens maybe one or two times. Here happens at least once a game, sometimes three or four.

Unwatchable.

EDIT: and i can confirm. The Serie A Database was made real bad, i don't know by who but seems made by my sister that hate football. Duly, Roma, Lazio & Fiorentina get their manager sacked before the half of the tournament, and sometimes they even get relegated. Sampdoria and Cagliari, on the other side, play like Brazil. This sucks, i know it's a game but Fiorentina and Roma are the more brilliant italian teams at the moment.

And last but not least, i can't understand why if you do tactical mistakes your players forget the fundamental and why opponents team (regardless who they are) play always a good football without this pathetic mistakes. Really, maybe this is the worst thing in this version of the game, the absolute non-sense that all the team got the same AI.

Another thing i've noticed. Half of the corner results in the player that kick the ball directly out of the field, transforming it into a goal kick.

I played very very very low level on football in real life, and i see this happens maybe one or two times. Here happens at least once a game, sometimes three or four.

Unwatchable.

Are they all outswinging corners?

Are they all outswinging corners?

"Outswinging"...

Sorry but my english... :D

I try to explain.

All corners kicked (ex.) on the left side by a left footer.

And i know that generally it happens the reverse, but i wonder if a Serie A player do these mistakes...and with this frequency...

Maybe the new board wanted a new management team regardless and this has happened to me before on other versions and like you was doing really well and still got sacked. This is not a bug at all imo.

Maybe not a bug but still definitely needs fixing in my opinion. This is maybe where balancing realism crosses over the fine line when it comes to gaming. I spent weeks on this save and was enjoying it immensely up until this happened. Fair enough had i underperformed or even just met with the boards requests, but seen as though i had well outperformed any request the board had given me on very very tight budgets always keeping within my wage budget (season i got sacked i was 4k under budget which was 1/4 of my budget as it was set so low). And yet still get sacked in a game i paid money for, in that case what is the point in playing a save like this at all in the 1st place, if performance has no factor at all in whether you keep your job or not.

As you said ofc this can happen IRL but also IRL i would get compensation for all my time wasted so to make it realistic for me do u want my address to send the cash owed? :p

Ps

Thank god i had auto save on so i rolled back the save, and asked the board for a new contract before the takeover announcement which i was given, but the take over this time fell through.

Unwatchable.

EDIT: and i can confirm. The Serie A Database was made real bad, i don't know by who but seems made by my sister that hate football. Duly, Roma, Lazio & Fiorentina get their manager sacked before the half of the tournament, and sometimes they even get relegated. Sampdoria and Cagliari, on the other side, play like Brazil. This sucks, i know it's a game but Fiorentina and Roma are the more brilliant italian teams at the moment.

And last but not least, i can't understand why if you do tactical mistakes your players forget the fundamental and why opponents team (regardless who they are) play always a good football without this pathetic mistakes. Really, maybe this is the worst thing in this version of the game, the absolute non-sense that all the team got the same AI.

If you have problems with the data then why haven't you posted in the italy database forum with what you think needs tweaking in the data providing you provide valid reasons and evidence, http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/363323-Italy-(Official)-Data-Issues.

All for more sophisticated AI, and of course, if you have the interest in (or knack for) tactical wizardry in-match, then you should be able to do that in FM and get an advantage by doing so. However, in real life there are managers who focus on other sides of football than this. They are not all Mourinho's. I feel that in the two recent FM's, this balance between playing styles has gone too far in the direction of -having- to adapt to the opponent and whatever he does.

This has also been my problem with the game lately. Even though I understand the logic behind it, it's being forced more and more into being the only viable path to success, something that is not true to reality.

"Outswinging"...

Sorry but my english... :D

I try to explain.

All corners kicked (ex.) on the left side by a left footer.

And i know that generally it happens the reverse, but i wonder if a Serie A player do these mistakes...and with this frequency...

That's what I meant basically. Outswinging means the ball is curled away from the box (ie, what you'd get from a left footer for a corner on the left) rather than an inswinger where the ball is curled into the box (ie, a right footer from the corner on the left). Try switching to a right footer for the left sided corners and a left footer for the right sided corners. Should keep your corners in play until the issue is looked at.

That's what I meant basically. Outswinging means the ball is curled away from the box (ie, what you'd get from a left footer for a corner on the left) rather than an inswinger where the ball is curled into the box (ie, a right footer from the corner on the left). Try switching to a right footer for the left sided corners and a left footer for the right sided corners. Should keep your corners in play until the issue is looked at.

Yes, i got it. Although, i don't think it's normal that with the outswing the ball goes out with this frequency...

Yes, i got it. Although, i don't think it's normal that with the outswing the ball goes out with this frequency...

Not only that, but the corners often go on a straight path centimetres from the line to the head of an attacker on the far post. Some even touch the crossbar. Unrealistic trajectory.

I agree completely. There are a few issues with corners.

Too many go out of play straight away, and defending of them is very hit and miss with some pretty poor headed "clearances" which put the ball straight back in the danger area.

This is a focus area for SI and PaulC mentioned them in his last post, so we can be hopeful of improvements in the update.

You know you've been playing too much FM when you're thinking about in-game situations when watching your own game IRL. Today, we were so bad that our manager made all three subs at half time, and my first thought was 'I bet we get an injury now'.

And 15 minutes after the restart...we did.

We also lost 4-0

Totally unrealistic, sort it out SI. :lol:

Not only that, but the corners often go on a straight path centimetres from the line to the head of an attacker on the far post. Some even touch the crossbar. Unrealistic trajectory.

With Freddy Adu i scored a goal like this :D

You know you've been playing too much FM when you're thinking about in-game situations when watching your own game IRL. Today, we were so bad that our manager made all three subs at half time, and my first thought was 'I bet we get an injury now'.

And 15 minutes after the restart...we did.

We also lost 4-0

Totally unrealistic, sort it out SI. :lol:

:lol:

One thing i can't understand, and i ask to users way too expert than me.

Are the wingers "bugged"? And if, in wich way? There is something we can do about it?

And - if - there is something that PaulC or SI had said about next update?

I found play without wingers way better for me, so im in doubt...it's me or it's the wingers?

I just got sacked, after 2 consecutive promotions and a safe top half finish in league 2 when expected to finish bottom. Is SI trolling? My job security was listed as untouchable, yet we had a board takeover and i was replaced.

Wasn't this supposed to be fixed in the recent patch?

It isn't a bug, but it is a very poorly implemented feature that fails to appreciate that FM is a game.

Even with a decent downloaded tactic, that shouldn't have been possible. That must have been upwards of 70 games in the one season. The first season no less, so your team wouldn't have been great, unless you've massively cheated.

Anyway, that's hardly an example of a 'perfect' tactic, quite the opposite in fact. That's a tactic which shows the game is still flawed.

You won't of course, but if you're interested in the game's development, you should upload that save in the bugs forum so SI can see where the ME is being exploited.

I see, so anytime someone comes up with a tactic that works it's an exploit of the ME or they cheated. Well here is some earth shattering news for you. SI can program and tweak until the cows come home but they will never create an unexploitable ME as it would take a processor reacting in real time to counter everything a human mind can come up with. So either they get the ME to cheat like crazy or wait maybe another 50 years or so for quantum computers to become available.

Archived