Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Good post and shows good example to confirm you will always get wins despite being behind in the shot count/possession stats and interesting to see stats for win ratios with possession stats. It would also be interesting to see stats from other European leagues before concluding they're concrete across the board numbers for win rates given premiership is not really a possesion based league relying more on moments/flashes/impact players rather than constructive cerebral possession game you see in ka liga for example. I'd say there are disparities between league on possession translation to win rate but the taking more shots is definitely increasing your chances percentage wise at a helicopter level notwithstanding quality of shots/position etc etc.

Attached shows that the higher the level of possession the higher your win rate is which again should be considered when modelling into the game.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2010/may/12/the-question-important-possession

Guardiola win rate at April 12 at least at barca was over 70% showing quality possesion with quality players will result in higher win rates too

It's important to reflect the differences in higher percentage/win rates rather than go with a sweeping assumed definitive 57% which of course I know you'll do. Would be great if you had similar research from other leagues as premiership is unique to itself in terms of style

I wish I did. I imagine someone at SI does.

What I do know from reading academic research on football statistics is that patterns tend to repeat throughout levels. The same statistical patterns at World Cup level tend to hold at US Ladies College level. Having read a number of research papers backing this up, I'm reasonably happy to assume that the figures, with a small margin of error, will hold across all leagues/divisions.

As such, your Barca example is great. I imagine Barca outshot their opponents in almost every match during this period. A circa 70% win rate is what the statistical analysis predicts and what actually happened.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i finished my first season with juventus and won the league title easily. with the friendlies and champions league games, i played about 50 games, all with the extended highlights. the goals i ve scored seem all the same, there are no goals from counter attacks, through balls, or long shots. i scored most of my goals from set pieces, or low crosses from the wings. i managed to play fast flowing football with direct passes thus it never worked out, i lost every match when i try to play with high tempo. no counter attack, no through balls, ****ing boring match engine. i had vidal,pogba and marchisio in the middle, best long shooters in the football world, but the outcome is zero. please fix it or bring 2012's match engine back. is it too hard to add more dribbling moves, fast flowing counter attacks, defence splitting through balls to make the game interesting?

I wish I did. I imagine someone at SI does.

What I do know from reading academic research on football statistics is that patterns tend to repeat throughout levels. The same statistical patterns at World Cup level tend to hold at US Ladies College level. Having read a number of research papers backing this up, I'm reasonably happy to assume that the figures, with a small margin of error, will hold across all leagues/divisions.

As such, your Barca example is great. I imagine Barca outshot their opponents in almost every match during this period. A circa 70% win rate is what the statistical analysis predicts and what actually happened.

Yeah I'd agree that broadly speaking patterns would repeat. Barca win stats also stack up closely to the high level of percentage on average winning a higher percentage of games. For sure as well I would have thought barca outshot their opponents in the majority of games through their domination even though shooting (at least from range) was, I'm sure you'd agree, not something they had a tendency to overemploy instead working intricate opportunities through their patience and brilliance.

A few areas which are ticking me off with the game at the minute;

Firstly - I'm playing as Forest so my players aren't world beaters but it is a little ridiculous when my fastest winger is beaten in a race for a loose ball by a clodder center back during a preseason game against Gainsborough. What's the point of having Acceleration or Pace stats if they mean nothing? I've got players with a decent first touch yet they can't control the ball for sh*t whilst the minnow players of Gainsborough trot around the field like a bunch of blindfolded Xavi's as the ball sticks to their feet.

Secondly - What is the point of setting team/ individual instructions when your players almost religiously ignore what you have asked of them? When you set up a throw in routine and specifically ask for a long throw my taker always goes short. I ask them to go short and he does it long. Tell my strikers to shoot on sight (seeing as forwards are very goal shy in this game), so I'm delighted to see my best forward stop and pass backwards when he was clean through. 'Shoot on sight' doesn't seem to work so i turn it off, despite this my DM decides to start shooting from near enough the half way line.

Does the game still crash after a certain day/month?

Will there be another update in the future or wll 14.1.3 be main one atm?

I think no one knows the actual release date but I'm pretty sure they'll do another update to this one relatively soon in the near future as they have acknowledged some issues with regard to the ME and transfers. I'm personally thinking that they might do 1 within a week or two but that's my guess and wish :)

I think no one knows the actual release date but I'm pretty sure they'll do another update to this one relatively soon in the near future as they have acknowledged some issues with regard to the ME and transfers. I'm personally thinking that they might do 1 within a week or two but that's my guess and wish :)

Do u know if this bug resolves the crashing when go through the early months when clicking continue?

Player Search is based on the reputation of players in comparison to your scouting knowledge.

Players with little or no reputation are very unlikely to show up. If one does, he's probably a wonderkid.

conceding dodgy goals from defender tackles, as it was in FM13.

player slides in, and ball seems to go right to the feet of an opposition player regardless of the angle, and I had one just now, Carrick has the ball at his feet and is about to clear it, but for some reason Evra tackles him and sends the bal lto an opposition player... who scores.

the second one seems to be an issue with the engine, because it wasn' registering the ball at a teammate, this would NEVER happen in real life.

Fair play, that is actually very funny :)

ps No date set yet.

Hi Paul, fan for 20+ years. I remember you and your brother. Where is Marc Vaughn? Where is your brother? I miss Marc's funny instruction booklets that came with the game. Me and my cousin would get a good laugh.

:)

Same old problem, too many injuries. Why the hell don't SI sort this problem BEFORE they release the game. It seems to happen year on year and by the time they have messed around releasing patches you have lost weeks of game time.

The whole thing is becoming a waste of money and then they have the nerve to actually charge for an in game editor.

LEEDS do a Ridsdale

Finances have become a problem for me. I am in season 2023/24 and done well, won everything and been successful both on leader board and on hall of fame. However, the particular season has been horrendous despite winnign trophies etc... why.... finances !

I have transfer budget of 64 million pounds... I still have 1.2 million pounds per week for my wages. Add the two together and have an under spend of of over 120 Million pounds per annum. I should be in profit right >? Nope I lost 11 million quid at the end of the season... scandal !

if I had used the board approved wages and transfer budget (i used zero) I would have been something like 130 Million in debt this season (finances been fine until this season) I have added zero players and reduced the number of approved staff by 23.

So I should be easily in the black but i am not.

This has stopped my enjoyment of the game. The team Iam playing with is LEEDS UNITED.... and only Ridsdale would allow me to spend spend spend... yet even though i technically saved the club 120 million pounds in the last 12 months... I am still in debt. Not good!

conceding dodgy goals from defender tackles, as it was in FM13.

player slides in, and ball seems to go right to the feet of an opposition player regardless of the angle, and I had one just now, Carrick has the ball at his feet and is about to clear it, but for some reason Evra tackles him and sends the bal lto an opposition player... who scores.

the second one seems to be an issue with the engine, because it wasn' registering the ball at a teammate, this would NEVER happen in real life.

Your name crops up a few times in here with bug-esque reports, but a search of the Bugs Forum implies that you haven't started any threads there.

Remember, this is a feedback thread, and the most efficient way to get possible bugs resolved is to post them, with evidence, in the appropriate thread

Anecdotal statements don't help SI.

i finished my first season with juventus and won the league title easily. with the friendlies and champions league games, i played about 50 games, all with the extended highlights. the goals i ve scored seem all the same, there are no goals from counter attacks, through balls, or long shots. i scored most of my goals from set pieces, or low crosses from the wings. i managed to play fast flowing football with direct passes thus it never worked out, i lost every match when i try to play with high tempo. no counter attack, no through balls, ****ing boring match engine. i had vidal,pogba and marchisio in the middle, best long shooters in the football world, but the outcome is zero. please fix it or bring 2012's match engine back. is it too hard to add more dribbling moves, fast flowing counter attacks, defence splitting through balls to make the game interesting?

I will start by saying the above quote is the very reason I stopped playing FM13 and went back to FM12 which I am still playing.

Can anyone confirm if the lack of through balls, decisive forward counter attacks, and well crafted attacking moves has been fixed? Or as stated in this quote is the ME still in a state where the only way to score is via wing play and crosses?

My experience with FM13 was one where I scored no goals from DFK. No goals from blistering 20 yard scorchers. No goals from beautiful defense splitting though balls and generally I got bored of the ME no matter how realistic it was with 'ball physics'

So what is the attacking ME like now? If you have Xavi in the middle is he playing through balls to a running Messi? Is Ozil crafting beautiful passes between slow footed DC's?

The ME gets worse with every game. It seems much less spontaneous now. Most of my goals come from rapid crosses into the boxes with the strikers attacking the new post.

Players run with the ball at a ridiculous speed and crosses are extremely difficult to defend against. In fact all most goals scored/conceded come from the wings.

FM13 ME was horrible and 14 seems no better. No doubt people on here will say it's my tactics despite the fact I'm actually winning a lot it just doesn't seem representative of real football.

Playing with Darmstadt in the 3rd League Germany. December first season the team is on 8.

Tactics: 423(narrow)1 - balanced. Defenders and MC are on short passes, C AMC is PM (S) on on hold ball. Focus is def Pos.

Game looks fine, all sorts of goal. Sometimes the goalies are making incredible saves. Sometimes my DC´s (CD defend) are idiots and standing far too away of the attackers. But okay, its 3rd league. And who knows Darmstadt, knows it´s ok ....

Team is playing 80% very constantly, but 20% ridicolous weak, getting 3-4 goals before halftime.

I will start by saying the above quote is the very reason I stopped playing FM13 and went back to FM12 which I am still playing.

Can anyone confirm if the lack of through balls, decisive forward counter attacks, and well crafted attacking moves has been fixed? Or as stated in this quote is the ME still in a state where the only way to score is via wing play and crosses?

My experience with FM13 was one where I scored no goals from DFK. No goals from blistering 20 yard scorchers. No goals from beautiful defense splitting though balls and generally I got bored of the ME no matter how realistic it was with 'ball physics'

So what is the attacking ME like now? If you have Xavi in the middle is he playing through balls to a running Messi? Is Ozil crafting beautiful passes between slow footed DC's?

I had all types of goals in FM13. Crosses from the byline, deep crosses, through-balls in front of the box, quick combinations, solo runs, counter-attacks from my own area and from the middle of the pitch, silly own goals and other mistakes, corner kicks, penalties, direct free kicks and a couple of 25-30 yard screamers. If you count 15-20 meter shots as long shots there were plenty of those. My tactic is an attacking, direct 343, so the tempo is almost maxed out.

The long shots you were looking for happened, but they were unrealistically rare.

In FM14, most of the complainsts have been about crosses being the "only way" to score and that corners to first post is overpowered. The ME has a problem with defensive line, closing down and physicality of the actual ball when a player is dribbling with it - as he can only be dispossessed by a sliding tackle (apparently).

After spending days trying to get backgrounds to show up in FM14 (thru transparent panels, like in previous FM's), and still struggling, please add this option back in, for the next patch please.

Can't cope with the same boring background screen, after screen, after screen...

Thanks.

----

I've reported it too:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/369662-14.1.2-Backgrounds

LEEDS do a Ridsdale

Finances have become a problem for me. I am in season 2023/24 and done well, won everything and been successful both on leader board and on hall of fame. However, the particular season has been horrendous despite winnign trophies etc... why.... finances !

I have transfer budget of 64 million pounds... I still have 1.2 million pounds per week for my wages. Add the two together and have an under spend of of over 120 Million pounds per annum. I should be in profit right >? Nope I lost 11 million quid at the end of the season... scandal !

if I had used the board approved wages and transfer budget (i used zero) I would have been something like 130 Million in debt this season (finances been fine until this season) I have added zero players and reduced the number of approved staff by 23.

So I should be easily in the black but i am not.

This has stopped my enjoyment of the game. The team Iam playing with is LEEDS UNITED.... and only Ridsdale would allow me to spend spend spend... yet even though i technically saved the club 120 million pounds in the last 12 months... I am still in debt. Not good!

Have you brought players on monthly instalments in previous years? or anything like that? It may be worth reporting this save in the bugs forum, as there may be something unusual going on.

From someone who has actually played FM14, my input is:

Don't believe everything you read in this thread!

Yes, there are issues (all being worked on), but there is a tendency in this thread which somewhat extrapolates the severity of some of the issues.

There are through balls, both lofted and drilled along the ground.

Some of the interplay up the length of the pitch far exceeds what I've seen before.

The variety of goals also surpasses what I've seen before, and it absolutely is not limited to goals from crosses and corners.

There are direct free kicks (not enough - also a work in progress), long range efforts which fizz in from the edge of the box, lobs, one-twos which result in goals....

From someone who has actually played FM14, my input is:

Don't believe everything you read in this thread!

Yes, there are issues (all being worked on), but there is a tendency in this thread which somewhat extrapolates the severity of some of the issues.

There are through balls, both lofted and drilled along the ground.

Some of the interplay up the length of the pitch far exceeds what I've seen before.

The variety of goals also surpasses what I've seen before, and it absolutely is not limited to goals from crosses and corners.

There are direct free kicks (not enough - also a work in progress), long range efforts which fizz in from the edge of the box, lobs, one-twos which result in goals....

...i think you are playing FIFA not FM2014......:lol:

FM 14 defending is terrible and to make up for that, SI seems to have made the finishing equally bad. Maybe the other way around would have been better?

Im currently playing the most defensive formation and tactic I have ever played on an FM game (controlling 4-2-3-1) and yet i conceed atleast twice as many goals with powerhouse FCP, compared to earlier versions. My WB's wont tacle, my DM's wont mark and my CB's play terrible in general, leaving NKoulou and Otamendi both sitting under 7 in rating, for the entire season.

Attack-wise im also getting twice as many shots, but my worldclass poacher Jackson Martinez finishes like a wet noodle and even misses most 1v1's, leaving AMC Jese as my top goalscorer. Most of my goals comes from corners, rebounds or opponent defensive mistakes.

All this results in the game looking more random than ever before, whatever tactics you play seem to have very little impact and you just know, that eventually most people will be forced to play some "exploit" like tactic, to really succeed on the game. Just like im currently playing the 4-2-3-1, which is currently the only tactic ive discovered that gives my team just the slightest consistency. This is a huge gameruiner for me and if this match-engine doesnt get a fix soon, this will be my last FM-game purchase.

Nope, and a lot of the variety in play and scoring I've seen is with Salisbury City.

I'll genuinely be enormously surprised if people can hand on heart say that there isn't more goal scoring variety on FM14 than there was in FM13.

It stands out.

I agree, especially the shots are much more authentic and diverse now and there is a lot more chaos in the box now which i think is realistic and less static.

In the lower leagues, there's also some tremendous goals scored via frantic goalmouth stramashes! Great to watch, not so great if you're on the receiving end!

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm a big fan - it made it look like proper lower league football!

Nope, and a lot of the variety in play and scoring I've seen is with Salisbury City.

I'll genuinely be enormously surprised if people can hand on heart say that there isn't more goal scoring variety on FM14 than there was in FM13.

It stands out.

Yes I notice this. Really nice passes for such low level clubs. Only issue is defending. I think finishing is realist as it is. Like you pointed out not all CCC are taken.

It stands out.

Completely agree with this.

However, what is very noticable on this thread is the people having the most enjoyment out of the match engine are those playing at lower league clubs (if only the contract issue at that level was fixed, it'd be perfect IMO). It appears to be the EPL in particular where a lot of the issues are showing. There could be a number of reasons for this. I managed for a season and a half in the Bundesliga, and never really saw any key issues, although that was in the first build of the Beta, not tried that level since the last big ME update.

issues i've encountered:

player ratings are really off. they were a lot better in the beta. good example, clive delaney used to get 8's a lot for my gills side, now can barely scrape a 6.6. lots of players putting in big shifts and not getting recognition. i've got some fantastic players in the first season like nacho fernandez playing at CB. 14 marking, 14 tackling, 15 jumping, 15 heading, 15 strength and 16 positioning. first five games and he is doing really badly. in the beta he was one of our best players. signed helge haugen, again should really get high ratings because he has amazing stats for league 1, could play in the premiership for a low team IMO. not to be. only player getting good ratings so far is bernardo corradi, wicked target man, consistent scorer as well.

signing players is still off. my team is gillingham. first window examples: marius zaliukas wanted 180k a year. signed for ekranas for 41k per year. alexander groven, wanted 125k a year. signed for honefoss for 35k a year. every player demanding key player status. bobo baldé, demanded 40k, signed for 35k for efc fréjus saint-raphael.

FM 14 defending is terrible and to make up for that, SI seems to have made the finishing equally bad. Maybe the other way around would have been better?

Im currently playing the most defensive formation and tactic I have ever played on an FM game (controlling 4-2-3-1) and yet i conceed atleast twice as many goals with powerhouse FCP, compared to earlier versions. My WB's wont tacle, my DM's wont mark and my CB's play terrible in general, leaving NKoulou and Otamendi both sitting under 7 in rating, for the entire season.

Attack-wise im also getting twice as many shots, but my worldclass poacher Jackson Martinez finishes like a wet noodle and even misses most 1v1's, leaving AMC Jese as my top goalscorer. Most of my goals comes from corners, rebounds or opponent defensive mistakes.

All this results in the game looking more random than ever before, whatever tactics you play seem to have very little impact and you just know, that eventually most people will be forced to play some "exploit" like tactic, to really succeed on the game. Just like im currently playing the 4-2-3-1, which is currently the only tactic ive discovered that gives my team just the slightest consistency. This is a huge gameruiner for me and if this match-engine doesnt get a fix soon, this will be my last FM-game purchase.

This is defensive?!

Two holding midfielders and only one striker suggests that that is definitely defensive.

Depends on the roles and team instructions tbh.

If it's two DMs and 3 MCs then it's at least a defensive shape, but that's not the be-all and end-all of a tactic.

One thing I would like to ask is whether there is any change to the training camps. On 13 last night, the squad was shipped off to Germany. However, my friendly games were based in the UK. Has this been addressed in 14?

I enjoyed playing the Beta. Sure it was easy and there were too many goals, but it was "easy" because I knew exactly what was going on, and there were too many goals because there were problems with the defenders (closing down and tackling, for instance). Now defending is still bad, but attacking is even worse, and as a result I don't know what I have to do to win a game, score a goal, defend a lead. It all feels random and crazy like FM13 was.

This. And the corner bug. And the super keepers. What would FM be without the corner bug and the super keepers?

Speaking of goalkeepers, I think the biggest problem is that they block too many shots. I mean, they stop them: they don't punch, they rarely deflect shots with their open hand, they stop them as if they had glue on their gloves (and btw, they don't seem to wear gloves? Or are they skin-coloured?) Nowadays you don't see this happening a lot.

Have posted in the bugs forum but is further proof there is a bug in the reputation which is causing an issue

Promoted Eastbourne to Premiership with 9000 reputation and £40m budget £200k wage budget

Yet they are still signing free transfers from the conference in the Premier league!

Please ignore the signings of Fon Williams and Ash Taylor they were from another test

I am assuming this is why people are reporting that when they get promoted they are unable to sign players from the same league

gzhj.jpg

I enjoyed playing the Beta. Sure it was easy and there were too many goals, but it was "easy" because I knew exactly what was going on, and there were too many goals because there were problems with the defenders (closing down and tackling, for instance). Now defending is still bad, but attacking is even worse, and as a result I don't know what I have to do to win a game, score a goal, defend a lead. It all feels random and crazy like FM13 was.

This. And the corner bug. And the super keepers. What would FM be without the corner bug and the super keepers?

Speaking of goalkeepers, I think the biggest problem is that they block too many shots. I mean, they stop them: they don't punch, they rarely deflect shots with their open hand, they stop them as if they had glue on their gloves (and btw, they don't seem to wear gloves? Or are they skin-coloured?) Nowadays you don't see this happening a lot.

Superkeepers have never, ever existed.

Have posted in the bugs forum but is further proof there is a bug in the reputation which is causing an issue

Promoted Eastbourne to Premiership with 9000 reputation and £40m budget £200k wage budget

Yet they are still signing free transfers from the conference in the Premier league!

Please ignore the signings of Fon Williams and Ash Taylor they were from another test

I am assuming this is why people are reporting that when they get promoted they are unable to sign players from the same league

gzhj.jpg

This isn't really representative though as a test. You've used the editor to transplant a club in, and then manually edited reputation. You haven't got the same organic growth in support and reputation that someone who did it the long way would get. It may be similar, but I don't think you can use that to prove anything.

Always feel like its pointless starting a real save until you get a patch that your happy with.

Genuinely think that in future, I won't bother buying the game on release day, and buy it around Christmas/New Year instead, once most of the issues/bugs are ironed out.

Archived