Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't really representative though as a test. You've used the editor to transplant a club in, and then manually edited reputation. You haven't got the same organic growth in support and reputation that someone who did it the long way would get. It may be similar, but I don't think you can use that to prove anything.

I agree with that to a level but as people who have been playing in the lower leagues have been saying the player search is not relaying results relevant to league they are in. Also although it is artificially done they are still in the Premier League with a reputation above City and a decent budget, I am not saying they should be signing Messi but that they should be at leasst looking for players in the division they are in and the game should recognise where they are and be signing players that reflect that imo

signing players is still off. my team is gillingham. first window examples: marius zaliukas wanted 180k a year. signed for ekranas for 41k per year. alexander groven, wanted 125k a year. signed for honefoss for 35k a year. every player demanding key player status. bobo baldé, demanded 40k, signed for 35k for efc fréjus saint-raphael.

They chose to stay in their home countries. Not that much of a surprise or unreasonable. There are examples of confusing decisions when players choose where to play, but not sure these ones count.

I really dont see that much wrong tbh honest, seems a bit easy would be my only complaint , maybe I just got lucky creating a tactic

It seems to be this time around that it's easier to come up with a tactic that will work, but it's still as difficult to work out what's going wrong when it's not working.

The in-match assistant feedback seems to be a good step forward, but I have a feeling most people don't see these as most people have the non-highlight speed up full.

It would be great if this assistant feedback could be presented to you in a report at the end of the match, including links to watch the events that triggered them.

A pretty bad scheduling issue in South America (that I'll raise as a bug soon). The Copa Libertadores final was a long time after the semis, and ended up falling the week before the Copa America started. As you can imagine, my predominantly Argentinian team disappeared off on international duty, leaving me to get absolutely murdered in the final by a Mexican side, who were largely unaffected (I'm sure Mexico sends a token U23 side to the Copa America).

Oh please :rofl:

And that's coming from a player whose first FM game was championship manager '93.

And yet you still believe these myths? Incidentally, if you jab a goalkeeper with your mouse pointer during penalties, they're more likely to dive the wrong way.

33le24x.jpg

While watching a match in FM we can see on the top of the screen different buttons like: "Make substitutions"; "Instructions";"Tactics";"Style"

The fact that we have the team instructions button is very User Friendly.

This button prevents us to go to the advanced tactic screen. Unfortunately it isn't the case for the Player Instructions.

As you can see on the image, adding a new button for the "player instructions", were we will be able to change player roles and instructions, will be very useful for making quick minor tweaks (like we can already do for the Team Instructions by clicking on the "Instructions" button)

Always feel like its pointless starting a real save until you get a patch that your happy with.

Genuinely think that in future, I won't bother buying the game on release day, and buy it around Christmas/New Year instead, once most of the issues/bugs are ironed out.

Me too mate, i'll read the feedback threads before buying it. But i don't know if i will keep this promise :)) Said the same last year.

And yet you still believe these myths? Incidentally, if you jab a goalkeeper with your mouse pointer during penalties, they're more likely to dive the wrong way.

There were versions of this game, earlier versions, in which there definitely were superkeepers. Or if you want, in which there were games that you just could not win because opposition GK had a MOM game. And it was not like once or twice a season event, it was on a regular basis. So don't tell me there were no "superkeepers" please. Even worse, when AI decided you should lose,once you have build your team to dominate every game, it just made your GK get an 5.9 and you lose from one or two shots on your goal. It was also not once or twice a season but more frequent.

There were versions of this game, earlier versions, in which there definitely were superkeepers. Or if you want, in which there were games that you just could not win because opposition GK had a MOM game. And it was not like once or twice a season event, it was on a regular basis. So don't tell me there were no "superkeepers" please. Even worse, when AI decided you should lose,once you have build your team to dominate every game, it just made your GK get an 5.9 and you lose from one or two shots on your goal. It was also not once or twice a season but more frequent.

There were games where a mixture of bad reactionary tactics, poor tactical management and poor morale management made it much more difficult to win matches than it should have been, yes.

The AI has also never decided you should lose. That comment shows a massive, massive, misunderstanding of how the game works (and always has worked). You should probably head over to the tactics forum and do some reading, that'll help you dispel this practice of looking to blame a game instead of looking at what you could be doing to cause/avoid these "issues".

Anyway, that's enough of this as it's off topic. If you want to discuss it further, start a thread in the tactics forum about it.

There are quite a few myths that come with FM, I would not say the super keepers is one of them.

I remember a couple of editions back there was a patch to lessen the chance that the keeper would save as it was quite bad.

Even this edition there are plenty of screenshots and reports of keepers making far too many saves.

I have seen in my game keepers saving some 16+ shots which is excessively high, it is just not 1 game but multiple games over a season.

In real life pundits and fans praise a keeper if he makes 5 or 6 good saves.

I think it is just a knock on effect with trying to lower the goals being scored as before the update there did seem to be a lot of high scoring games.

I also think that most people appreciate how complicated the ME is and one small change can have an effect on many things, I am also sure that Paul and his team are hard at work to sort it.

Nah, "superkeepers" is an AI only thing that people complain about.

It's very different from a balancing issue that affects everyone.

They only complain because they had no answers for it. Furiously moving the cursor in counter-clockwise circles used to help immensely to solve my goal scoring problems. The super keepers were powerless :D

Nope, and a lot of the variety in play and scoring I've seen is with Salisbury City.

I'll genuinely be enormously surprised if people can hand on heart say that there isn't more goal scoring variety on FM14 than there was in FM13.

It stands out.

I agree! Some of the complaining is largely exaggerated and we all know that FM needs a little while to get perfect.

They need to adjust defensive pressure as it's very weak at times as well as first post corner kicks. The long shots is a bit annoying, but I'm sure they will work it out. I personally really enjoy the game, but looking forward to the next patch that can take the game to the next level.

There were games where a mixture of bad reactionary tactics, poor tactical management and poor morale management made it much more difficult to win matches than it should have been, yes.

The AI has also never decided you should lose. That comment shows a massive, massive, misunderstanding of how the game works (and always has worked). You should probably head over to the tactics forum and do some reading, that'll help you dispel this practice of looking to blame a game instead of looking at what you could be doing to cause/avoid these "issues".

Anyway, that's enough of this as it's off topic. If you want to discuss it further, start a thread in the tactics forum about it.

I am talking about games such as CM97, or CM00..not really games where you could tactically go much wrong. It was pick a squad ,put them in a formation and click continue...so your answer has no sense regarding that kind of versions of the game.

It happens both ways Ackter.

Here is a screenshot posted by Milnerpoint in another thread, he is playing as Arsenal, I also get games were keepers are performing heroics.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

The "superkeeper myth" is an excuse pedalled by someone who believes the game is conspiring against them. It's something that's always used as a reason for why they can't win, and nothing more than that.

I am talking about games such as CM97, or CM00..not really games where you could tactically go much wrong. It was pick a squad ,put them in a formation and click continue...so your answer has no sense regarding that kind of versions of the game.

You could go tactically wrong easily enough even back in CM1.

You could go tactically wrong easily enough even back in CM1.

I really don't understand what are you trying to prove. I am not saying I was losing or that I was bad or anything in these games. I'm just saying that there were more than enough games where AI's keeper was a brick wall. If you have 20 shots on target every game and winning trophys it is kinda stupid of blaming it on tactics,no?

What I do know from reading academic research on football statistics is that patterns tend to repeat throughout levels. The same statistical patterns at World Cup level tend to hold at US Ladies College level. Having read a number of research papers backing this up, I'm reasonably happy to assume that the figures, with a small margin of error, will hold across all leagues/divisions.

Now this I can really believe! There's no escaping the patterns. Not just in football, everywhere! There's something so suspiciously constant and parallel about everything, that I often sit there and let the thought confuse me for hours.

Sure. I'm using a save from directly before the game and selecting the same options each time to control as many variables as I can. When I talk about results in that context, I'm talking about player reaction to the prematch teamtalk. Doing the same teamtalk five times with no other changes to the prematch press conference, tactics, player selection, training or opposition tactics has given me drastically different player reactions, and that makes the feature feel more random and less useful to the player. I'm, uh, not sure if you understood what I was talking about in the quoted section.

I would love if someone could verify this, as "scientifically" as possible. Seems very, very strange.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

The "superkeeper myth" is an excuse pedalled by someone who believes the game is conspiring against them. It's something that's always used as a reason for why they can't win, and nothing more than that.

Fair enough, maybe a misunderstanding there.

I am using 'superkeepers' as I am seeing keepers making far too many fantastic saves and the sheer number of saves they make is really high, it goes both ways though, 1 game my keeper can save everything thrown at him and we somehow manage to win a game we should not have, the next game my keeper lets in maybe 2 of the 4 chances against him and it is the opposing sides keeper that is having the game of his life.

This seems to happen quite a lot in the game.

While a keeper can and indeed does have a great game 1 week and then a nightmare the following week, yes we are looking at you Joe :) , it tends to happen are far too much in the game.

I even find myself saying at the start of some games, "man I hope my keeper plays the blinder and the other keeper has the nightmare this game".

FM 14 defending is terrible and to make up for that, SI seems to have made the finishing equally bad. Maybe the other way around would have been better?

Im currently playing the most defensive formation and tactic I have ever played on an FM game (controlling 4-2-3-1) and yet i conceed atleast twice as many goals with powerhouse FCP, compared to earlier versions. My WB's wont tacle, my DM's wont mark and my CB's play terrible in general, leaving NKoulou and Otamendi both sitting under 7 in rating, for the entire season.

Attack-wise im also getting twice as many shots, but my worldclass poacher Jackson Martinez finishes like a wet noodle and even misses most 1v1's, leaving AMC Jese as my top goalscorer. Most of my goals comes from corners, rebounds or opponent defensive mistakes.

All this results in the game looking more random than ever before, whatever tactics you play seem to have very little impact and you just know, that eventually most people will be forced to play some "exploit" like tactic, to really succeed on the game. Just like im currently playing the 4-2-3-1, which is currently the only tactic ive discovered that gives my team just the slightest consistency. This is a huge gameruiner for me and if this match-engine doesnt get a fix soon, this will be my last FM-game purchase.

I haven't seen as much problems defensively from dms and defenders in general. I play with Flamini and Arteta in a deep double pivot with Arteta as a Regista and Flamini as a DM with defend duty or sometimes as BWM defend(when playing a higher tempo game). FB's are okay in general but sometime they just blow my mind with their sliding. Attacking on the other hand have just made me snatch some of my hair,I've quit playing it after 3/4th of the season. And no,before someone says its my tactics,its not. Im at the top of the league and in the Semi of CL.It's just the ME and the way the team is scoring goals is making me mad. I don't want a team of Cazorla,Ozil,Ramsey,Wilshere,Arteta et al, to be scoring each and every goal from Corners and rebounds from those corner kicks and free kicks. No interplay of any kind. The passes to set a runner free are far and few between and when they are there the finishing is like a cbs finish,sometimes far worse. i dont know how a player with Podolski's finishing and composure attributes can shoot at the corner flag from 5 yards out ?and this when a chance like that is there,which is once in a blue moon,rest are meaningless shoots which are either end up in Row Z or no matter how much power the shot has end up being caught by the keeper on the dive. i have never been this frustrated by a FM ME ever.

It happens both ways Ackter.

Here is a screenshot posted by Milnerpoint in another thread, he is playing as Arsenal, I also get games were keepers are performing heroics.

Ill find the game when i go home tonight and post up my keepers rating, but i dont remember him getting POM in that game, more that Chelsea wasted several good chances and tons of rubbish chances.

Ill find the game when i go home tonight and post up my keepers rating, but i dont remember him getting POM in that game, more that Chelsea wasted several good chances and tons of rubbish chances.

He must of did alright if Chelsea had 17 on target though :)

He must of did alright if Chelsea had 17 on target though :)

Again if memory serves me correct most of the shots would have been poor weak shots that if hadnt saved i would have sold him, again tho tonight ill either back myself up or make myself look like a tool (again).

Superkeepers have never, ever existed.

Here are some stats: after 7 rounds in the Italian Serie A, Rafael (Verona) was the top goalkeeper from a statistical point of view, having made an averge of 6.5 saves per match. Consigli (Atalanta) is second with 4.3, Reina is third with 4.1 saves per match.

Now, let’s take a look at the goals/shots on goal (= shots on target, saved by the keeper) ratio: after ten matches played, Buffon (Juventus) is one of the worst in this particular stat: 1/3. Note that Buffon is the same guy who had the best ratio in the 2012/13 Champions League: 9/50, more or less. Back to Serie A, De Sanctis (Roma) has the best record: 1/26. Note that Juventus has conceded 30 shots on goal in 10 matches, while Roma has conceded 2.6 shots on goal per match.

What did I learn from these numbers?

1. If a team concedes more than, say, 5 or 6 shots on goal per match is either weaker than the opponent or simply bad at defending. And, in my experience with FM, I would say most of the teams are weaker than mine and/or bad at defending…

2. If a goalkeeper makes more than 7 or 8 saves in a single match it means that he is having a terrific performance, even if the saves are relatively easy. And if he makes a string of “fine saves” (quoting the FM commentary) it means he is having a once-in-a-lifetime performance. And, in my experience with FM, I would say goalkeepers have way too many once-in-a-lifetime performances…

Now, I think there is a problem. And it hasn’t started with FM14. And it doesn't involve goalkeepers in particular. I could have said “goals/shots on goal ratio is too low”, but “superkeepers” sounds better.

It seems to be this time around that it's easier to come up with a tactic that will work, but it's still as difficult to work out what's going wrong when it's not working.

The in-match assistant feedback seems to be a good step forward, but I have a feeling most people don't see these as most people have the non-highlight speed up full.

It would be great if this assistant feedback could be presented to you in a report at the end of the match, including links to watch the events that triggered them.

Yeah, that would be very useful. And, instead of using that "esoteric" language ("the gap between the defenders and blah blah blah") it would be even better it they went straight to the point: "You think this is a sound tactic? Did you BUY your Continental qualification?" :)

Yeah, that would be very useful. And, instead of using that "esoteric" language ("the gap between the defenders and blah blah blah") it would be even better it they went straight to the point: "You think this is a sound tactic? Did you BUY your Continental qualification?" :)

Can we leave Sven out of this? :p

The issue with keepers making too many saves comes from the problem of too many shots, nothing to do with the AI keeper being too powerful, im my screen shot above Chelsea had 17 shots on target with no goals, which means 17 saves from my keeper, but if 15 of them are straight at him he is hardly having a wonder game, he is just making basic saves.

So far in my other save i can think of one game where the AI keeper had a blinder and no matter what i couldnt score, but that can happen, i can think of 2 games where my keeper finished with an 8, again tho, it doesnt point to a superkeeper syndrome, just a player having a good game.

In regards attempts on goal there are certainly I wide variety of attempts, FM 13 I thought was very good and FM 14 is just as good, except it has a problem.

1. it’s next to impossible to score one on ones

2. it’s next to impossible to score from long range, the keepers save everything

3. it’s almost impossible to score with headers except from corners because they all seem to go over the bar, whether that’s from twelve yards or two.

The only redeeming aspect to these problems is that it affects both sides; if there are super keepers then it’s all of them.

Just started my third season with Luton now in division one but it looks like my problems at the end of last season look set to go on, played Millwall in my first friendly that finished 1-1 and I was happy with that, then 3 wins against non league opposition hurrah, and the a match against 2nd division side Exeter, oh dear, lost 1-0 despite. 61% possession, 26 shots to 9, 12 to 3 on target, 2 to 1 CCCs, 7 to 2 HCs, 12 shots saved to 2 shots saved, it could be a one off but after the end of last season I doubt it. I’m expected to battle against relegation this year which is a good job really.

The issue with keepers making too many saves comes from the problem of too many shots, nothing to do with the AI keeper being too powerful, im my screen shot above Chelsea had 17 shots on target with no goals, which means 17 saves from my keeper, but if 15 of them are straight at him he is hardly having a wonder game, he is just making basic saves.

Pretty much what I said further up the page when the discussion changed to the keepers.

I have seen in my game keepers saving some 16+ shots which is excessively high, it is just not 1 game but multiple games over a season.

In real life pundits and fans praise a keeper if he makes 5 or 6 good saves.

I think it is just a knock on effect with trying to lower the goals being scored as before the update there did seem to be a lot of high scoring games.

I also think that most people appreciate how complicated the ME is and one small change can have an effect on many things, I am also sure that Paul and his team are hard at work to sort it.

Most direct free kicks in this version seem to be taken as if they were ordinary shots from that position, rather than curling, placed, dead ball shots. And the conversion rate seems so low that they're just not exciting, or scary. The worst, or best, that will happen is you'll hit the bar.

Archived