Vuvuzela

CaptainPlanet

Are you enjoying the horn sound?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Are you enjoying the horn sound?

• Adds Atmosphere!
    • It's an annoying hornets nest!

I like the idea and I'm sure it's great if you're there, but it is making the TV coverage rather annoying. I'm sure any novelty will wear off soon and by the end of the tourny all of our ears will be bleeding...

Plus thought it would be good to keep the whinging about it to one thread rather than overtaking every match thread!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They really, REALLY annoyed me during the ConFed cup, but I didnt seem to mind them today. Must be something about the spirit of the world cup that's mellowed me out a bit. Actually think they give a really unique atmosphere now which will be good for the tournament. :thup:

It's annoying, especially as they blow it during the whole game. And surely chanting, shouting etc gives better atmosphere

Not only during the games, a friend of mine is in SA and he's already sick of hearing Vuvuzela all day long although I'm not going to feel bad for him given that he's there for work and gets free WC tickets.

Doesn't bother me at all. The people whinging about them does though.

Pretty much this, it's a key feature to South African football watching, as chanting / singing is at English games. People need to chill out, if they annoy you, just stick your tv on mute and turn the radio commentary on.

They really, REALLY annoyed me during the ConFed cup, but I didnt seem to mind them today. Must be something about the spirit of the world cup that's mellowed me out a bit. Actually think they give a really unique atmosphere now which will be good for the tournament. :thup:

yeah what he said. realised when hearing them on the fifa world cup game that it's part of this world cup and part of what it'll be remembered for, so now it adds to the charm for me where it annoyed me before in the confed.

have even been blowing my own vuvuzela today - off to a world cup party later so i'll be bringing five of the buggers along with me :cool:

and if any survive then down the pub for the beer garden atmosphere tomorrow.

I don't mind them to be honest, it's giving a unique atmosphere to the tournament and giving it an identity in a way. It was slightly amusing to hear Blatter at the start of the match, sounded as if he was giving a speech to a swarm of bees or something :D

of course by the later stages of the tournament, we'll all want to kill them more likely

I'm not saying that you're wrong but this is possibly the worst argument I've ever read... Kim Jong Il is here to stay, tell the Western world to get over it. :rolleyes:

You find these completely mismatching comparisons on purpose yeah? :D

Im gonna edit my earlier post, they were brilliant in the SA game but in this France v Uruguay game they are horrendous. Nobody can sing or chant or do anything because of the noise. The game is so bad because there are no fans of France or Uruguay there or making themselves heard and getting behind their players. I maintain it should be France and Uruguay fans that predominantly make up the ground, not 40,000 South Africans who don't support either of them teams so there is a **** atmosphere cos they just blow their poxy horns for 90 minutes meaning no-one can be heard.

Im gonna edit my earlier post, they were brilliant in the SA game but in this France v Uruguay game they are horrendous. Nobody can sing or chant or do anything because of the noise. The game is so bad because there are no fans of France or Uruguay there or making themselves heard and getting behind their players. I maintain it should be France and Uruguay fans that predominantly make up the ground, not 40,000 South Africans who don't support either of them teams so there is a **** atmosphere cos they just blow their poxy horns for 90 minutes meaning no-one can be heard.

It should be predominantly French and Uruguayans? Why? There won't be anywhere near that many fans from those countries in South Africa in the first place for a start, but more than that, this is Africa's World Cup.

Whether you agree with it being in South Africa or not and the reasons behind those concerns, that this is a World Cup in Africa, it is very important that it leaves a lasting legacy on the African people. It absolutely should be Africans in the majority for every game.

I actually wish the stadium wasn't as empty as it is right now, FIFA should have provided any unsold tickets to the schools in the townships and shipped them all in to ensure that the stadium was as full as possible. :thup:

The Uruguayans will have their chance to attend more games in 2014, when we Brazil host the WC. The French had their chances in 1990, 1998, 2006 and will probably have again in 2018.

I demand Scotland hosts the next World Cup Finals so we can exact revenge for the crime against humanity that is the cacophony of Vuvuzelas by filling our stadiums with bagpipe playing fans.

God almighty it's irritating :mad:

Yeah but the ticket allocation for the WC is shocking, only about 1/8 of the tickets go to fans of the 2 teams taking part. It should be like a normal international match. If Uruguay play France then i wanna see Uruguay and France fans in the stadium who are really passionate about their team and cheering them on, singing and chanting. Not this horn blowing by neutrals. I agree with the World Cup being in South Africa but that shouldn't mean there should be an awful atmosphere in most games because we give all the tickets to the South African people.

Im all for World Cups for hope for people but that shouldn't be at the expense of atmosphere.

Yeah but the ticket allocation for the WC is shocking, only about 1/8 of the tickets go to fans of the 2 teams taking part. It should be like a normal international match. If Uruguay play France then i wanna see Uruguay and France fans in the stadium who are really passionate about their team and cheering them on, singing and chanting. Not this horn blowing by neutrals. I agree with the World Cup being in South Africa but that shouldn't mean there should be an awful atmosphere in most games because we give all the tickets to the South African people.

Im all for World Cups for hope for people but that shouldn't be at the expense of atmosphere.

You're aware that if they did that, then very few countries would be able to host the World Cup because they wouldnt have the infrastructure to support the influx of that many fans, right?

South Africa would be crippled by having to support that many fans, it's tourism industry is at breaking point with the amount that are travelling already. It simply is not possible.

What i mean is, the tickets should first go on sale to fans of France and Uruguay and then the remaining tickets should be sold/given away to the South Africans. That way you would get the genuine fans together and making an atmosphere and still make the money from the influx of South African fans attending. Im not complaining about the idea because its great for the African economy but its making the atmosphere and quality of play bad.

What i mean is, the tickets should first go on sale to fans of France and Uruguay and then the remaining tickets should be sold/given away to the South Africans. That way you would get the genuine fans together and making an atmosphere and still make the money from the influx of South African fans attending. Im not complaining about the idea because its great for the African economy but its making the atmosphere and quality of play bad.

and i'll say again.

What happens if all those allocations ARE taken up by the fans of those countries? What if you have that happen for every country?

South Africa would be crippled from the influx of tourists. They've not have the ability to house all of those people in the hotels, they'd not have the transport infrastructure to support all of those tourists, nor any other facilities required to ensure a safe and enjoyable stay.

It's a nice idea in theory to mainly have the fans from the participating countries, but it's completely unrealistic and unworkable.

The participating teams have the highest chance of getting tickets to their games of anybody interested in going to a World Cup beyond the host nation fans. It'll be the same in 2018 if England get it too. FIFA have to balance several different issues when deciding on World Cup ticketing and you're never going to satisfy everybody.

Its absolutely important that the host nation gets favoured in the ticketing allocations, because it's a large part of the point of bringing the World Cup to that nation in the first place.

Archived