397 members have voted

1. 1. Are you enjoying the horn sound?

• Adds Atmosphere!
    • It's an annoying hornets nest!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably posted already, but still:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/

JOHANNESBURG—Members of the South Africa Vuvuzela Philharmonic Orchestra, widely considered to be among the best large-scale monotonic wind instrument ensembles in the world, told reporters Friday they were furious over the recent outbreaks of international soccer matches during their traditional outdoor concerts.

"I cannot imagine what is getting into these football teams that they would suddenly begin full-scale international competition just when we are beginning our 2010 concert series," said Dr. Stefan Coetzee, the Philharmonic's program and concert director. "It is disrespectful to the performers...

I liked the idea to begin with tbh. But i'm starting to change my mind now as you just can't here any atmosphere from the fans other than the horns. Stops any songs or chants starting :thdn:.

People who complain about Vuvuzelas are racists. Pure and simple.

Now, that is a completely idiot thing to say... I don't give a flying cabuzzi if the guy blowing that crap is white, black, yellow or pink with grenn dots. That instrument is just annoying and it just so happens the overwhelming majority of the world agrees with me. So if you want to blow on that horn please do so at home and stop spoiling the match for the rest of us.

Now, that is a completely idiot thing to say... I don't give a flying cabuzzi if the guy blowing that crap is white, black, yellow or pink with grenn dots. That instrument is just annoying and it just so happens the overwhelming majority of the world agrees with me. So if you want to blow on that horn please do so at home and stop spoiling the match for the rest of us.

Disagree with that bit, i would say most of Africa would disagree with you as they love them and its 50 - 50 in other places bar Europe.

If the Vuvuzelas were that annoying you would not see so many in the stadiums and they would not sell so well.

Yes you dislike them and thats your choice and although i dont think its racist i think the outcry mainly in the western world has been overblown.

The Vuvuzela has been quite a godsend because with it bearing the brunt of the hate the rest of the World has enjoyed a very nice World cup.

Disagree with that bit, i would say most of Africa would disagree with you as they love them and its 50 - 50 in other places bar Europe.

If the Vuvuzelas were that annoying you would not see so many in the stadiums and they would not sell so well.

No, even in Africa most people don't care for them. If you have a third of people with them you have that infernal noise. I simply turn the sound off.

Yes you dislike them and thats your choice and although i dont think its racist i think the outcry mainly in the western world has been overblown.

Why overblown? I don't think many actions were taken against it. Most people are vocal about disliking them, and that's about it. I think it is as fair as someone claiming them to be part of the south african culture. Although in reality this issue only started in 2001 when a company decided to mass produce them. So they are far from being a tradition...

well they've banned them from an upcoming ufc event..

LAS VEGAS -- The highly controversial noisemakers making headlines during the World Cup will be banned from Saturday night's Ultimate Fighting Championship event in Las Vegas, the organization's president said Wednesday.

Calling it a “pretty simple” decision, UFC President Dana White told Las Vegas TV station WVVU vuvuzelas won't be allowed at the UFC 116 fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

“Vuvuzelas make the most horrific sound I’ve ever heard. I’d rather let Brock [Lesnar] punch me in the face than hear 15,000 people blow on those things,” White said in a statement.

White said fans will make enough noise during the event.

Vuvuzelas, the long-necked horns that make the sound of a thousand buzzing bees, have been the subject of debate among sports fans and even those not familiar with the World Cup since their debut at the tournament in South Africa.

We have vuvuzelas in matches in Argentina, though comparatively very few people use it. We've had them for decades though, how are they integral to Africa's cultural identity? So would be stoning women guilty of adultery in some parts of the continent... :thdn:

Archived