Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

As I wrote before - Stellaris by Paradox has option to choose gameversion

236749812_Image1.png.1994f848c3a7d69f78f3cca9b94db952.png

The most ironic thing - I dont need this in Stellaris because I like all new features of Paradox integrate in this game.
Honeslty have no idea why SI ignore this - if it could be able - I just rollback for prev version and it will be better for all. @Neil Brock Could you clarify me about this issue please?

When I checked Steam page of FM20 it was about 6k reviews. Its about 0.06% from 1 million sales which Miles said in last days. I'm not sure that it will be any key factor of so small percent. Also I believe that SI Team dont sabotage FM and they are hostages of their own development in a sence. But I agree we need to pay attention for this problem. This is a big mistake imo to release ME2026 before Christmas and take a pause before new update.

We've said a fair few times in the past, rolling back versions will in most circumstances break save game compatibility so wouldn't ever be an option. Whilst the game is modular to an extent, there's so much cross-over that you couldn't have one specific part of the game running older versions than other areas. 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

It's painful watching some of the defending in this match engine. I don't know if it's decision making or what but these are international players. How can they be so inept?

Crikey

You sure have some patience Tiger 

1 minute ago, battles_atlas said:

Sorry but I can't stand this kind of 'blame-the-user' mentality. This is a game that has a new full price version out every season, with updated stats, so blaming buyers for not showing the patience to wait ~six months for the March ME update is a little absurd - the football season they want to simulate is nearly over at this point. Furthermore SI is not a little indie studio releasing a brand new title, where growing pains are to be expected.  This is a major title in about its 35th iteration now, there is absolutely no legitimate reason that the match engine should be released with obvious problems, and yet it seems to be a regular occurrence. FM games at this point should be rock solid when they come out, and if they're not it's because development is being rushed to hit release deadlines that shouldn't be there. That is the bottom line - simple as that.

The demo also isn't an excuse - I played FM20 a ton when it first came out, but the problems with the match engine have stopped me playing for the last month, possibly because for the first month or so I was playing in lower leagues where terrible defensive issues and crap strikers are more plausible. Now I'm in a major league though its completely immersion breaking. With a game this deep, and also still being revised by changes, a limited demo is not enough to wash the devs hands of responsibility for what they are releasing.

The match engine isn't "broken", but it is totally unsatisfactory for a well resourced game this far into its release history.

It is a full price version every season, yes. Many users know that, and the point was mainly directed towards those users.
Those who haven't been happy before shouldn't then just jump into the next game and then blame the developers, IF the user has had a bad experience before.
That is solely on the user's part.
If i'm unhappy with a game and a new game in the same series is being released, i try it out first. If i can't try it out first, i watch videos and read the feedback first.
Of course, one might come to the conclusion that it is still bad. Feedback is then essential to the developers.
But to continue the looping procedure year after year, for a disgruntled customer, is purely down to the user's part.

Don't have to wait for the March ME update. It's easily playable from the get-go.
It is rock solid. But it's also very subjective. Some people might be deferred from the game because Torreira's hair might be long in the game instead of short as in real life.
That is a valid issue but not a game-breaking issue. The point of the game is still fit for purpose.

The demo is a very valid excuse. Especially if one tries the demo, buy the full game and discover it's not the same. Even more valid grounds for complaining and possibly a refund.
I play in the lower leagues and when i have terrible defensive issues and crap strikers i try to deal with it. It's a manager's job. That's what managing is. Regardless of lower leagues or top leagues.
For the reasons you are mentioning (which only says a bare minimum), a demo would be more than sufficient to realise what you're happy with and not. You could try out top leagues and lower leagues and the problems would be apparent very quickly,
as the most common issues mentioned were introduced fairly early.

On a general side-note when it comes to indie vs big studio; My experience is that the bigger the studio, the bigger the issues and more mess of a game.

Blame-the-user mentality. You do know that i'm only a user as well, right?
Try to read it with nuance. It's not one or the other. 

44 минуты назад, roykela сказал:

The demo is a very valid excuse. Especially if one tries the demo, buy the full game and discover it's not the same. Even more valid grounds for complaining and possibly a refund.

Oh thanks at first I thought that you didnt realize my words too :) 

There are not simple rules too. Refund is possible when you played less 2 hours and purshace was during 14 days.  Update happened many days later, but even if not - first 2 hours I just create filters, set interface bars, check db issues by editor issues, etc. :D Let's clarify one thing - my criticism about update only (and some responce around this but this issue even no chance to discuss there are). So about update - if you (developer) released update please be sure this is stable in gameplay. Is it stable? At first look. At worse in second, deeper. I visit also two old FM sources besides this and members talking about the same issues. Almost all members of these sources not visit this community as I know. So its just not my wishlist as a guy who don't want to be happy. So last update is a mistery for me. 

Edited by Novem9

@roykela

"Same, same but different. Which is a great thing. I notice a lot of changes has seemingly happened under the hood as it seems more optimized.
The time it takes from one Continue to another is very, very low compared to FM19.
It flies. And that is with all leagues and about 380k of players loaded for my career save - which ultimately will end up as a journeyman career, having been sacked left and right before i manage to get my tactics right."

Could you please let me know what do you use to play? A laptop or PC and what configuration?

I am using a Lenovo Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz , Memory: 8192MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphic card . If i select all the leagues from England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales as playable and full players custom setup for these nations (around 33k players loaded), it loads ok but i feel it slowly enough not to select more countries as playable. I get 3 and half stars rating for game speed.

1 hour ago, OHoh said:

Too many excuses

You get paid to deliver, you fail u get criticised, just do a better job next time

Stop going on about how its a difficult process and how it is hard to balance out the perfect match engine... blah blah blah

You go to a restaurant, customer complains about the food do you hear the chef moaning about how they don't get the credit for all the hard work they put in a dish? How cooking the meat is a difficult process? 

You're treating us like we've been given the privilege to play a game that you made for us for free with bunch of volunteers. 

Oh but if you alter the quantity of one of the ingredients it could throw the balance of the whole dish to a terrible place

Not sure if this is the 100th B club bug or something else.

For some reason a competing league team sold a high PA youngster, he hasn't played a single match for my senior team (still developing), but it's one of the press question about him playing against his old team, uhm, no he isn't playing against his old team. He isn't even registered to play in the league, except due one of the few B team mechanics that actually work where registered B team players can be used on the senior team.

I can't even see my B players in most of the interfaces (Can't seem them in the comparision menu and many other places), if I click on the B team icon it gives me an empty list of players, because for some stupid reason the default for B team is to not have the B team players visible. So it's bloody annoying dealing with all the other bugs that I also have to waste my time on the game randomly including B team players as they where Senior regulars. Especially since I started reporting this crap back in something like 2014.

4 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Oh thanks at first I thought that you didnt realize my words too :) 

There are not simple rules too. Refund is possible when you played less 2 hours and purshace was during 14 days.  Update happened many days later, but even if not - first 2 hours I just create filters, set interface bars, check db issues by editor issues, etc. :D Let's clarify one thing - my criticism about update only (and some responce around this but this issue even no chance to discuss there are). So about update - if you (developer) released update please be sure this is stable in gameplay. Is it stable? At first look. At worse in second, deeper. I visit also two old FM sources besides this and members talking about the same issues. Almost all members of these sources not visit this community as I know. So its just not my wishlist as a guy who don't want to be happy. So last update is a mistery for me. 

Refund:
Those are the ground rules for a refund on Steam, indeed. But it's not limited to. It would probably be a bit of work but if one can prove that it's not working as intended then you could
still get a refund. I know that Steam customer support isn't the best but it's not impossible.
I got a refund on a game, even though i was past the 2 hours, after a full explanation. The general point was that it was recommended by a friend and it was nothing like it.
I read the the description of the game on Steam with a friend's biased point of view. Quite a bit more complicated than just that but that was the general and main point.
I got the refund.

I do understand what you mean and i'm not really opposing it.
If something is a common theme across several boards there is most likely something to it.
Hopefully the next update will fix a few things, whenever that will come. Fix for you and not make it worse for me :D

6 минут назад, roykela сказал:

Refund:
Those are the ground rules for a refund on Steam, indeed. But it's not limited to. It would probably be a bit of work but if one can prove that it's not working as intended then you could
still get a refund. I know that Steam customer support isn't the best but it's not impossible.
I got a refund on a game, even though i was past the 2 hours, after a full explanation. The general point was that it was recommended by a friend and it was nothing like it.
I read the the description of the game on Steam with a friend's biased point of view. Quite a bit more complicated than just that but that was the general and main point.
I got the refund.

I do understand what you mean and i'm not really opposing it.
If something is a common theme across several boards there is most likely something to it.
Hopefully the next update will fix a few things, whenever that will come. Fix for you and not make it worse for me :D

I already tried with FM19 :D Not worked. For sure it works in some way. For example I bought pre-order of Insurgency 2 but 1) game release moved later 2) the most important thing - optimization was awful - I just literaly couldn't move in beta. Steam approved my refund request in the same day which I asked. There are a different situation and I could not convince a Steam Support that I bought another FM19 :D But as we discussed I will be more patient in next time oh yeah

Edited by Novem9

1 minute ago, theking1 said:

@battles_atlas totally agree....and i've played every version but the process of fixing the match engine every year is wearing a little thin now

Sure but FM19 ME really needed fixing. I'm more amazed they had almost year to do it and then replace the new one with another one in next few weeks. 

11 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

@roykela

"Same, same but different. Which is a great thing. I notice a lot of changes has seemingly happened under the hood as it seems more optimized.
The time it takes from one Continue to another is very, very low compared to FM19.
It flies. And that is with all leagues and about 380k of players loaded for my career save - which ultimately will end up as a journeyman career, having been sacked left and right before i manage to get my tactics right."

Could you please let me know what do you use to play? A laptop or PC and what configuration?

I am using a Lenovo Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz , Memory: 8192MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphic card . If i select all the leagues from England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales as playable and full players custom setup for these nations (around 33k players loaded), it loads ok but i feel it slowly enough not to select more countries as playable. I get 3 and half stars rating for game speed.

I'm on a desktop PC with the following specs:

Windows 10 Home.
Intel Core i7 9700K @3.6GHz (Running @ 4.7GHz Turbo mode)
16GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666MHz
Samsung 1TB HDD
Cooler Master ML120L water cooler

I do experience slowdowns though. And that is mainly during transfer window openings and closings when a lot of transfers are going through; and season changes.
Some screens that contain a lot of information as well, as Job Centre, Job Security and Player Search screen when i have both top scouting packages selected.
Those are screens that i never or rarely use anyway.
I think that my game speed stars is half a star :D
But i don't pay attention to the stars. They're misleading. A decent pointer but shouldn't be heavily relied upon.

4 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

I already tried with FM19 :D Not worked. For sure it works in some way. For example I bought pre-order of Insurgency 2 but 1) game release moved later 2) the most important thing - optimization was awful - I just literaly couldn't move in beta. Steam approved my refund request in the same day which I asked. There are a different situation and I could not convince a Steam Support that I bought another FM19 :D But as we discussed I will be more patient in next time oh yeah

:D
It's always worth a try.
Yeah, i'd advise you to be a bit more patient if you're in the category i mentioned earlier.
Information is so readily and easily available these days that you can give the demo a whirl first and/or watch some gameplays while reading some feedback.

It's kind of a "do as i say and not as i do" kind of advice, as i buy every FM unseen every year :D

10 minutes ago, renato. said:

I'm giving up too. I'm just tired, it's not fun. If you play with a high defensive block, you get balls over the top all over the place. If you play with a low block, you need to pray in every defensive phase to your defender not screw up by giving possession directly into the opposition feet.

I've just reverted to playing FM touch and simulating all games until this shambles of a ME is fixed 

I gave up a while ago which is really sad, probably had 100s of hours on FM19 by this point.  I just can't watch yet another hoof over the top that is first time, is pinpoint and is more often than not being done by a player not capable of such a pass, as my defender instead of just heading these hoofs away is baffingly moving forward, whilst the ball is in the air,  letting the striker run freely in behind, even if they don't have much pace, that then leads to a 1v1 that the striker misses most of the time.

Or watch another player with high pace/acceleration and dribbling pick up the ball with his back to goal and a quality defender on his back, which would be where in real football he'd 99/100 have to pass the ball but instead just turns my defender like he is literally not there and I am watching a game of FIFA on easy mode against the AI. 

It's just too depressing and frustrating. 

Really miss the days of FM13 where the match engine was smooth, and had easy to interpret animations (played every game since 14 on 2D to counteract the poor animations) but also when your tactic used to be easy to represent, and players on the ME actually had personality. Also easy to see players attributes represented on the ME, as well as elite players were able (rare granted, as it should be) were able to grab 30+ goals a season in the peak of their career, a la Ronaldo/Messi. And thats coming from someone who loves defence.

Edited by Domoboy23

Processing between days is crazy slow for me. I've owned the game for 8 days and I've managed to get through only 10 weeks of game. Reported it in the bugs forum but responses on there are almost as slow (and frankly quite useless) as the game itself.

if you want to win games, the majority of games are played with 1 up top by the ai. so just play with 1 at the back and 1 def midfielder and you take every tactical 

option off from the tactics screen so you are telling your team nothing. this engine is so poor it doesnt compensate at all and you go on a winning run

The game is really really great.. love all the new features. The staff responsibility screen is a bit messy I feel, but all in all they have striked gold again.

The ME certainly have its problems as have been stated more than enough on this forum and many other forums, what bothers me most is their unwillingness to communicate when the update will be. I understand its hard to pinpoint exactly, but are we talking days? weeks? months? I refuse to believe the " we don't know" "when its ready" answers. And if the case is that we shouldn't wait for a update until march, at least say that. 

This said, I don't feel the game is unplayable and completely damaged, it is actually very very good. 

Last thing, every year the game is dropped with minor bugs, game interference errors, etc etc(not talking ME). Isn't that what the beta is for? excluding these minor hick ups. Even now a couple of months and a couple of updates in we still have small bugs all over your product.

All in all, great game!!

7 minutes ago, pamf said:

The game is really really great.. love all the new features. The staff responsibility screen is a bit messy I feel, but all in all they have striked gold again.

The ME certainly have its problems as have been stated more than enough on this forum and many other forums, what bothers me most is their unwillingness to communicate when the update will be. I understand its hard to pinpoint exactly, but are we talking days? weeks? months? I refuse to believe the " we don't know" "when its ready" answers. And if the case is that we shouldn't wait for a update until march, at least say that. 

This said, I don't feel the game is unplayable and completely damaged, it is actually very very good. 

Last thing, every year the game is dropped with minor bugs, game interference errors, etc etc(not talking ME). Isn't that what the beta is for? excluding these minor hick ups. Even now a couple of months and a couple of updates in we still have small bugs all over your product.

All in all, great game!!

oh dear:seagull:

25 minutos atrás, Mitja disse:

Wow that's some harsh reviews above, that being said I quit playing like a month ago. Can't even remember anymore but is the ME really that bad?

In my view, there is a lot of variety regarding play and construction in ME. But, in the end, it seems that's only one way to really score and suffer goals at the finishing zones and that's really frustrating to anyone who takes a lot of time and testing to build a squad and a good tactic.

1 minute ago, Tiger666 said:

In its current state I believe it's one of the poorest I've played. The game itself is good overall, everything outside the match engine though there are still loads of bugs with the interface, training, dynamics etc but for me the match engine is infuriating. Pretty much resorted to key highlights now so I don't have to see the worst of it.

Yeah I've seen what you are posting, believe you. 

What i forgot to give Feedback on...Climate/weather conditions...

I use to start a CaC in Germany and i got aware that in the heat of the summer is in real in the Cold of the summer bcs the temps in Germany from June to September and even October use to be around 30°Celsius to 35°Celsius.

In the game it is aroud 15° to 25°Celsius and instead of being dry as heck like all the past summers in the recent history is raining all the ****ing time...

I dont remeber the winter conditons but if the summer is way off the winter is probably way off too...

###

Realistic Stats:

Does not happen until you take all freedom of choice away from all Managers bcs as each Manager makes decisions of his own which will affect statrs in different ways so the stats they never ever can be similar to real world stats 

Where one Manager loses the other wins, where one Manager goes all in the other parks the bus, where one Manager exploits the wings the other plays a central style and as every Manager uses most often different playes there is no way you get the same stats as in reality.

You can only make cause and effect as realistic as possible and live with the stats you get out of that!!!

Edited by Etebaer

1 hour ago, Etebaer said:

What i forgot to give Feedback on...Climate/weather conditions...

I use to start a CaC in Germany and i got aware that in the heat of the summer is in real in the Cold of the summer bcs the temps in Germany from June to September and even October use to be around 30°Celsius to 35°Celsius.

In the game it is aroud 15° to 25°Celsius and instead of being dry as heck like all the past summers in the recent history is raining all the ****ing time...

I dont remeber the winter conditons but if the summer is way off the winter is probably way off too...

I wouldn't be surprised if weather conditions around the world hadn't been updated for years. Given the changing climate, they are probably due for recalibration against the last 5 years' weather data,

Maybe someone from SI knows when weather data was last updated,

5 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Or watch another player with high pace/acceleration and dribbling pick up the ball with his back to goal and a quality defender on his back, which would be where in real football he'd 99/100 have to pass the ball but instead just turns my defender like he is literally not there and I am watching a game of FIFA on easy mode against the AI. 

This really is a great comparison :thup:

1 hour ago, Lexis said:

So in 2020 they are making games for 2 GB RAM and Athlon 64 - 2-2GHz.

What is the point? How many people are actually playing the game on similar specs? Why is a game even molded after that population? We are in the age of cloud, machine learning, artificial intelligence, 16 cores, 6 GB VRAM yet they are limiting the whole game to ..... 2006 specs? Is the game engine not supporting an ugprade and thus remaking it is not feasible at this point? That may also be the case.

What do you want to debate here? You are posting minimum specs for a game that doesn't acquire a high-end system and never will. Even comparing it with Skyrim (???).

As per Steam Survey 2019 the most popular configurations

You do realize that most people who completed that survey are hardcore gamers with a high-end system, right? FM doesn't belong in that category. 

also btw: most people who play FM play it on a laptop instead of desktop. Start a poll, you will see for yourself.

Edited by Sanel

13 minutes ago, Sanel said:

What do you want to debate here? You are posting minimum specs for a game that doesn't acquire a high-end system and never will. Even comparing it with Skyrim (???).

You do realize that most people who completed that survey are hardcore gamers with a high-end system, right? FM doesn't belong in that category. 

also btw: most people who play FM play it on a laptop instead of desktop. Start a poll, you will see for yourself.

There was no comparision with Skyrim. I merely pointed out what they achieved by releasing their Creation Kit in regards to modding.

I accept that the configuration I posted as popular may be above average. I cannot accept you telling me 2 GB RAM and Athlon X64 is the norm these days. Sorry, no. Even laptops are much stronger than that these days.

I specifically said I don't expect FM to ever be a high-end system requiring game. I am not ever expecting that to happen. But look how far we are behind. I am not asking for FIFA 2019 graphics or mechanics. But look where we are at. What is the reason we are not using more power than this?

No one here can argue Athlon X64 and 2 GB RAM is the norm or even anywhere near that. That is a little more than a brick compared to what people have today.

• Administrators
Just now, Lexis said:

I accept that the configuration I posted as popular may be above average. I cannot accept you telling me 2 GB RAM and Athlon X64 is the norm these days. Sorry, no. Even laptops are much stronger than that these days.

We have our own data on what systems players of FM use, and minimum specs are based on that. 

1 hour ago, Lexis said:

We are in the age of cloud, machine learning, artificial intelligence, 16 cores, 6 GB VRAM yet they are limiting the whole game to ..... 2006 specs?

Im sorry but i've had my laptop for about 3-4 years for "working" purposes that can play "some" games. fm20 demo doesn't even run smooth with all the bits at medium, I'd have to turn most off/turn it to lowest and have 3d at med and still stutters in game. Heck fm17 I can go full power but my fan will become my radiator... HP I5-6200u thats clocks in at 2.3 and goes to 2.4ghz. Rubbish i know but FM will always favour a longer span of years for laptops/pc. People play the game on the trains or when traveling, they aint gonna buy a new laptop just to play a game when the audience is targeted at pretty much anyone and everyone. Don't expect people to whip out their PC build on the train or a 1k priced laptop that people use for their work do you?? 

Just now, Lucas said:

We have our own data on what systems players of FM use, and minimum specs are based on that. 

Can any of that be made public? Just curious. I cannot imagine those minimum specs are something very often met among people.

The cheapest laptop I can find at my local supplier (200$) is a Celeron Dual Core going up to 2400 MHz and with 4 GB RAM. Just to put those specs in perspective.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Lexis:

So in 2020 they are making games for 2 GB RAM and Athlon 64 - 2-2GHz.

What is the point? How many people are actually playing the game on similar specs?

For a lot of people this is the only game they are playing. They don't need a gaming computer and therefore playing it often on older computers with low specs. The same with very young customers. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Lexis said:

Can any of that be made public? Just curious. I cannot imagine those minimum specs are something very often met among people.

The cheapest laptop I can find at my local supplier (200$) is a Celeron Dual Core going up to 2400 MHz and with 4 GB RAM. Just to put those specs in perspective.

No. There are people every year however, that do try to play FM on systems that are "under spec" (mileage varies whether it runs or not).

As @KUBI points out, some people literally only have FM as games that they play. I was one of those for a few years when I first started playing the series. 

6 minutes ago, Lexis said:

It will run but it won't be a smooth experience. Actually FM is a pretty high demanding game from both RAM and CPU perspective, but does it actually require to have a high-end system? No. I think FM2019 and FM2020 is poorly optimized though. 

I really think there is one thing that holds down the development of ME and that thing is - FM has more football styes than real game. I guess it's not easy to incorporate all the stuff that exists plus much more that doesn't. 

I'm amazed nobody thought of that before :D 

3 minutes ago, KUBI said:

For a lot of people this is the only game they are playing. They don't need a gaming computer and therefore playing it often on older computers with low specs. The same with very young customers. 

By the same coin, you are potentially missing out on clients who would otherwise buy if the game showed improved graphics, mechanics, AI and so on (features dictated by computing power in one way or another).

I am not aware of how Google Stadia is working out at the moment for FM but Cloud Gaming is getting closer, resources will no longer be an issue to that degree.

While FM is not something you play for graphics, it is frustrating watching that kind of graphics in 2020. The match engine can only be taken so far in it's current iteration. We are already very close to it's limits. We are seeing them every year. Sure, the engine is updated each year, but the updates are  far from anything spectacular, rather just fine tuning from one edition to the other. We are already seeing the limits in defending, in certain animations, in certain reactions of players. Every iteration is an engine with SLIGHTLY better graphics (some redone textures, some extra animations, again slightly), but in itself and how it plays out mechanic-wise it's just a rehashing of the prior version with hopes that this year's will be better. We have older versions of FM with a match engine closer to reality and more balanced than some newer versions. There rarely is a clear improvement in how the match engine plays out from yearly version to yearly version. Release day match engine is generally average at best and disastrous at worst. It's rather just a rehashing, hoping it gets closer to what it should be and by version .3 maybe better than last years. This has been the trend for the past years. If year by year, the match engine at the release day is far from what it should be, there must be some process going wrong in Production. If not enough testers are available, going beta sooner and making it available for anybody not just buyers may be a solution.

Problems have to be recognized and taken responsability for, only then a solution can be thought of and implemented.