Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

in past FMs they would offer themselves for passes on the flanks, played ground throughballs in final third, there were some one-two's, dribbles inside the box are rear now too. it's just passing between MCs until ball gets to the full-backs...

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Strikers are utterly useless on this, lack of movement and awful finishing. Not had a striker get more than 9 goals in 5.5 seasons yet. Doesn't even make a difference by switching to a 4312, poor finishing 1v1 and too many blocked shots. Of course the AI don't have these issues, regularly scoring with their first shot or two on target whilst your forwards huff and puff every game. Two recent games saw us have 32 shots vs 5 and draw 1-1 and before that 22 shots to 8 and lose 1-0. 

Throw ins were good on the beta but are back to FM18 standards now of the ball being thrown anywhere but to your player. 

The FBs dwell on the ball far too much, their positioning when they're open to the pass is poor, often with their back to goal and having to pass the ball straight back but even when they have acres of space they just wait to be closed down before getting tackled, passing the ball back or drilling it into the shins of the defender in a best impression of Antonio Valencia. 

And it's not the tactics as everything else is going to plan apart from the lack of goals which doesn't make sense considering the formation. 

I feel like I'm watching the same game every single match. 

Having all the same issues. Most of the goals im conceding are due to my midfielders messing about on the edge of the box before being tackled and a big lump forward resulting in the AI being through on goal with my defenders nowhere to be seen (regardless of how high I have set my defensive line.) and scoring with no issues. 

The ME IMO is awful. My players just don’t do anything that resembles my instructions. 

I dont want to go all Dave here... There seems to be a lot of feedback about strikers and instructions. 

All i can say is my strikers are banging them in and my teams are playing the style im aiming for. So you guys need to put more meat on the bone to isolate a particular instruction, style or league etc that isnt working. 

1st phase beta i did 6 months with city and 6 months with chelsea... Playing tweaked vertical tiki taka 4231 and aguero and morata were each scoring at a goal a game. I did a season with Utd custom 442...martial,rashford,lukaku all goal per game ratio and even mctominay as backup target man score 15 goals 

1st patch that affected ME (a few days before the main release) i did a season with Bournemouth playing deep line, direct passing, attacking mentality custom 442. Wilson scored over 20 in EPL as AF. I had a mix of other strikers (due to injury bug) playing as pressing forward scoring at 0.5 goals a game (king, defoe, mousset) 

Currently playing as juve 5212 custom mixed style... Ronaldo AF has 20 in 18, mandzukic as PF has 10 in 20, dybala AP has 6 goals 11 assists in 20 matches. Now Juve imo are the best starting squad available (or one of the top 5 for sure) but ive also loaned alessandro rossi who you could probably attract to any top division sode in europe... He has 8 in 9 as PF, Origi also on loan has 3 in 2. 

33 minutes ago, true_valiant said:

Having all the same issues. Most of the goals im conceding are due to my midfielders messing about on the edge of the box before being tackled and a big lump forward resulting in the AI being through on goal with my defenders nowhere to be seen (regardless of how high I have set my defensive line.) and scoring with no issues. 

The ME IMO is awful. My players just don’t do anything that resembles my instructions. 

It is questionable how the ME can still be this bad after so many years. 

The ME still can't replicate a player like Messi, at least from the goalscoring perspective.

Also, big teams score a lot less than IRL. Barcelona and Real score around 60-70 goals in the first season which is a good 30-40% less than IRL. 

Can this be improved for FM 19?

19 minutes ago, StevehFC said:

It is questionable how the ME can still be this bad after so many years. 

Only if you don't look at it from anything more than a superficial level.  If you can't see why such a system wouldn't have balance issues that aren't trivial to fix, then that's your own problem.

37 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I dont want to go all Dave here... There seems to be a lot of feedback about strikers and instructions. 

All i can say is my strikers are banging them in and my teams are playing the style im aiming for. So you guys need to put more meat on the bone to isolate a particular instruction, style or league etc that isnt working. 

1st phase beta i did 6 months with city and 6 months with chelsea... Playing tweaked vertical tiki taka 4231 and aguero and morata were each scoring at a goal a game. I did a season with Utd custom 442...martial,rashford,lukaku all goal per game ratio and even mctominay as backup target man score 15 goals 

1st patch that affected ME (a few days before the main release) i did a season with Bournemouth playing deep line, direct passing, attacking mentality custom 442. Wilson scored over 20 in EPL as AF. I had a mix of other strikers (due to injury bug) playing as pressing forward scoring at 0.5 goals a game (king, defoe, mousset) 

Currently playing as juve 5212 custom mixed style... Ronaldo AF has 20 in 18, mandzukic as PF has 10 in 20, dybala AP has 6 goals 11 assists in 20 matches. Now Juve imo are the best starting squad available (or one of the top 5 for sure) but ive also loaned alessandro rossi who you could probably attract to any top division sode in europe... He has 8 in 9 as PF, Origi also on loan has 3 in 2. 

Personally, i'm having more issues with wide players in the AM strata scoring; my striker scores but they're mostly rebounds/penalties and he doesn't really seem involved in general play - there's a real lack of variety.

What role are you playing Dybala in? Not sure that's a great return for such a talented player, unless you've sacrificed his game a little to facilitate Ronaldo?

In the beta there were too many goals scored from crosses, now 9 out 10 crosses are going straight into the opposition's fullback and you get a corner (how great is that). This is ridiculous! Instead of creating a logical balance between crosses and through balls, they gave us this!

Edited by Vali184

22 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

What role are you playing Dybala in? Not sure that's a great return for such a talented player, unless you've sacrificed his game a little to facilitate Ronaldo?

Hes ap-s in the am strata... I know a lot of people see a playmaker as the key chance creator... I always see them more of the assist before the assist...he is always feeding the front two or the wing backs... Or simply recycling possession back to the cms. 

On current rate he will be in low teens for goals and low twenties for assists...thats generally higher than my fm18 playmakers, but he is better calibre. So it seems ok to me. 

Im not playing wingers with juve... But at bournemouth and utd the assists were very high for stanislas and ashely young (both playing IW on the left) and coman and ibe playing winger on the right. 

Im yet to play a winger in the AM strata. 

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Just saying your striker has scored goals is really a cop out for the issues we are talking about. Maybe you could go and break them down and compare how many are coming from penalties, set pieces, and corners vs how many are coming from open play. And in open play, how many came from side to side passing while pulling the opposition out of position follows by a nice pass through the middle? Most of your examples are from more direct passing also, which is not the issue. More direct passing has always been op in terms of the match engine. If you want to try to discredit everyone and say it's their tactics that are the problem then show a tactic that is based on short patient passing with a low tempo that focuses play through the middle and show how many goals are coming from open play that aren't crosses. 

My main striker has 16(6) appearances, 53 shots and 12 goals. That's a 22% conversion rate, which is good. My AML (who sometimes plays striker) has 22(4) apps, 10 goals, 8 assists. They won me the league.

1 minute ago, Vali184 said:

In the beta there were too many crosses, now 9 out 10 crosses are going straight into the opposition's fullback and you get a corner (how great is that). This is ridiculous! Instead of creating a logical balance between crosses and through balls, they gave us this!

Im not disagreeing with your observation but as @forameuss pointed to... All your doing is proving how hard the balance is because of peoples perceptions. Other posters are saying the wingers cant beat a man and tackles are OP... Some are still saying too many crosses but easily blocked....

Personally im seeing crosses that are successful being met by ronaldo and mandzukic 6 yards out who should score but get easily saved... If they did score id be winning every game 20-0.

Basically they need to be tackled, blocked, saved or poorly finished to prevent the OP goals from crosses from the BETA. 

Or what might help is more boring recycling of possession... But if they do that there will be posts moaning about passive wingers (or impossible to win ball off AI as they constantly pass sideways) 

Definitely some issues... But incredibly hard to balance

4 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Hes ap-s in the am strata... I know a lot of people see a playmaker as the key chance creator... I always see them more of the assist before the assist...he is always feeding the front two or the wing backs... Or simply recycling possession back to the cms. 

On current rate he will be in low teens for goals and low twenties for assists...thats generally higher than my fm18 playmakers, but he is better calibre. So it seems ok to me. 

Im not playing wingers with juve... But at bournemouth and utd the assists were very high for stanislas and ashely young (both playing IW on the left) and coman and ibe playing winger on the right. 

Im yet to play a winger in the AM strata. 

Fair enough; a decent return for the role assigned even if personally, i'd be looking to build around Dybala and have him either as a F9 or Treq.

2 minutes ago, Sticx said:

Just saying your striker has scored goals is really a cop out for the issues we are talking about. Maybe you could go and break them down and compare how many are coming from penalties, set pieces, and corners vs how many are coming from open play. And in open play, how many came from side to side passing while pulling the opposition out of position follows by a nice pass through the middle? Most of your examples are from more direct passing also, which is not the issue. More direct passing has always been op in terms of the match engine. If you want to try to discredit everyone and say it's their tactics that are the problem then show a tactic that is based on short patient passing with a low tempo that focuses play through the middle and show how many goals are coming from open play that aren't crosses. 

Im not playing direct with juve, i have high line high press... 31 goals from crosses... But thats because of how fm states a cross... Its mostly what id consider cutbacks. Too many goals from corners is a seperate observation. 

Likewise you cant say 'strikers dont score' they do... So what team are you, what tactic, what players? 

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

My main striker has 16(6) appearances, 53 shots and 12 goals. That's a 22% conversion rate, which is good. My AML (who sometimes plays striker) has 22(4) apps, 10 goals, 8 assists. They won me the league.

22 goals from your 2 key goalscorers across a season fuelled a title victory? Your games sound duller than mine, which as things stand, is quite the accolade!

Joking apart, am I right to assume that your tactical approach is perhaps more conservative than is typical amongst FMers? 

16 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

22 goals from your 2 key goalscorers across a season fuelled a title victory? Your games sound duller than mine, which as things stand, is quite the accolade!

Joking apart, am I right to assume that your tactical approach is perhaps more conservative than is typical amongst FMers? 

I don't know. 43 goals in 26 matches which is 4th best in the league. The players are poor and I did try to implement a custom Control Possession tactic, which at this low level was maybe not the best idea. Saying that though, I conceded 19 in 26, which was the best.

I would describe the tactic as quite aggressive. 4231 with CM/S and CM/D midfield and FB/A and WB/S fullbacks. Managed 62% possession over the season, so I guess that is objective achieved.

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I don't know. 43 goals in 22 matches which is 4th best in the league. The players are poor and I did try to implement a custom Control Possession tactic, which at this low level was maybe not the best idea. Saying that though, I conceded 19 in 26, which was the best.

I would describe the tactic as quite aggressive. 4231 with CM/S and CM/D midfield and FB/A and WB/S fullbacks. Managed 62% possession over the season, so I guess that is objective achieved.

Ah ok - i'd assumed that was across a 34/38 game season; across 22 matches, it's obviously a far more prolific total.

Just now, fidelitywars said:

Ah ok - i'd assumed that was across a 34/38 game season; across 22 matches, it's obviously a far more prolific total.

Sorry, my mistake, 26 matches. Will edit. At least I got it right when listing the defensive side. 

:ackter:

39 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Im not playing direct with juve, i have high line high press... 31 goals from crosses... But thats because of how fm states a cross... Its mostly what id consider cutbacks. Too many goals from corners is a seperate observation. 

Likewise you cant say 'strikers dont score' they do... So what team are you, what tactic, what players? 

The issue wasn't strikers don't score, the issue was strikers and other forward players like IF are too static in the box which hinders possession based tactics that play through the middle, especially playing with short passsing. 

Just now, fidelitywars said:

Ha - cool; suppose that 43 goals across 26 games isn't a huge total; would expect league champions to average around 2 goals per game, no?

Context is key here. I had a lot of possession, so compressed play a lot against already defensive teams. We struggled to create decent chances overall. I had a few 0-0s. We were favourites to win, so had to deal with defensive teams a lot. You may expect 2 goals a game normally, but it's probably down to my tactical setup and this is only 1 season, so can't draw conclusions from that.

The team in second had 55 goals in 26, but conceded 24 in that time.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Context is key here. I had a lot of possession, so compressed play a lot against already defensive teams. We struggled to create decent chances overall. I had a few 0-0s. We were favourites to win, so had to deal with defensive teams a lot. You may expect 2 goals a game normally, but it's probably down to my tactical setup and this is only 1 season, so can't draw conclusions from that.

The team in second had 55 goals in 26, but conceded 24 in that time.

Yeah, it's the exact same problem I encounter with Hamburg - I do genuinely feel that there are issues with ME which make it very, very difficult to break down teams set-up to defend deep. Of course, these issues don't exist only in that context but would suggest it amplifies their existence somewhat.

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

You do realise that real people work on this game and they do read these forums? Show some respect to the people who do work on the game as we state in our forum rules - 

It's fair enough to be upset about something, but asking for people to lose their jobs because something which is extremely complex doesn't work exactly how you want it to is completely beyond what is acceptable.  

First, i apologise. I dont want that someone lose a job, where is lost all 80s humor when people could joke and not always be politically correct? 

But now on real problem, since i bought this game twice this year, i have right to say that things like this, ill quote someone else post:

"Seeing some utterly bizzare AI squad building decisions.

• City spent £60m on Thauvin to then immediately transfer him and loan him out.
  • Arthur plays 26 league games for Barcelona the previous season and they loan him to Napoli the next
  • Madrid spent £75m on Torreira, the next season he's on the transfer list "

Are also completely beyond what is acceptable. You work on AI squad build up for years, so please, with sugar on top, can you explain how can this happen? How can we buy great players and AI clubs dont make bids when they see we are buying ? How can we buy wunderkinds and for example Real Madrid , Ac Milan or some other big fish dont make bid 2 ? 

So City spent 60M, then put such player on loan. Madrid bought clearly great Torreira, for big money,  which is great but they put him on transfer list for prob. much less money next season? 

My biggest problem with AI buying is that they are not agresive and they dont buy lot of players, like we do. Also after all this years, they play with players that are 34- 35 years old, even they have great young players. 

Why AI clubs dont buy many wunderkinds and base their squad build with young great players? Even when they buy wunderkinds, often they dont get enough games to make their potential.

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

It's fair enough to be upset about something, but asking for people to lose their jobs because something which is extremely complex doesn't work exactly how you want it to is completely beyond what is acceptable.  

Since the AI is often criticized, why don´t you make the effort and provide a one-time statement explaining the complexity of this issue? In the future, whenever this comes up again, the mods could refer to this.

The same applies to other common issues like the state of the graphic and match engine and something like a stadium editor, which was heavily discussed prior the release. Sorry, but a lot of the frustration is caused by poor communication on your end. In my opinion, it shouldn´t be like this. In the end, you are expecting your customers to pay, more or less, for a yearly update. So at least they should know where are you heading.

3 minutes ago, legnerschorsch said:

Since the AI is often criticized, why don´t you make the effort and provide a one-time statement explaining the complexity of this issue? In the future, whenever this comes up again, the mods could refer to this.

The same applies to other common issues like the state of the graphic and match engine and something like a stadium editor, which was heavily discussed prior the release. Sorry, but a lot of the frustration is caused by poor communication on your end. In my opinion, it shouldn´t be like this. In the end, you are expecting your customers to pay, more or less, for a yearly update. So at least they should know where are you heading.

Because no-one would listen anyway.  If you have to have it explained to you that the AI in a game like this is complex, then you're probably the same sort of person who would just ignore anything they said.

And the point is proved by your final statement to be honest, so at least I'm not wrong there.

3 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Because no-one would listen anyway.  If you have to have it explained to you that the AI in a game like this is complex, then you're probably the same sort of person who would just ignore anything they said.

And the point is proved by your final statement to be honest, so at least I'm not wrong there.

What?

The AI wasn´t brought up by me. This was another poster. But I would like to hear statements about the long-terms plans in regards of the graphic/match engine and if a stadium editor is something they look into or are even working on it.

So this makes me an ignorant idiot?

SI have mentioned the complexity in the past. Repeatedly. It's still ignored. They have also stated in the past they have no real appetite for a stadium editor. 

People don't listen anyway. So why waste more time repeating information that gets ignored anyway? The argument for more communication only work if people are willing to listen to said communication. 

My main issue with forwards/strikers is one that's persisted for years: the game puts too much emphasis on their goals. If you have them playing a wandering/deep-lying support role, their morale starts to get bruised (and the fans start getting on their backs) if they're not also scoring; even if they're working well in your intended system, the game will punish them for not being a classic striker.

There does seem to be a little bit of a ping-pong/hoofball feel to things right now, but it's more easily mitigated than past ME failings, and I think this ME still produces more interesting and varied goals overall.

The main thing the Match Engine needs going forward is better ball physics (and player reactions to same). Right now, it seems like the game predetermines where the ball is going to go, but the animation of that (and players' reactions) feels uncoupled somehow, which leads to things looking weird or stupid (or patently impossible, in the case of some wrong-footed, first-time, off-balance passes or shots just being too "perfect" and hit too hard), which leads to human players getting angry at their AI players for something that may just be a shortcoming of animation/physics.

It also seems like the game tightly correlates the distance/power of a pass to its height, so you don't get daisycutting through balls unless they're also short passes. Most through balls that carve the defence seem to be hit in the air.

46 minutes ago, Double Indemnity said:

My main issue with forwards/strikers is one that's persisted for years: the game puts too much emphasis on their goals. If you have them playing a wandering/deep-lying support role, their morale starts to get bruised (and the fans start getting on their backs) if they're not also scoring; even if they're working well in your intended system, the game will punish them for not being a classic striker.

I'd say this is pretty realistic. For every person praising Olivier Giroud for being a key component of a World Cup winning team, as a striker, without scoring, there's 3 saying he's rubbish. 

5 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

I'd say this is pretty realistic. For every person praising Olivier Giroud for being a key component of a World Cup winning team, as a striker, without scoring, there's 3 saying he's rubbish. 

Giroud one of my fav players during his time at Arsenal, but you are right... Far more detractors than supporters when a striker is on a drought. 

1. I rally noticed my striker doesnt make much of a difference when it comes to his finishing abilities and that is a huge difference to the game i played before FM 17 where they were scoring all over the place. Now that might be because i am Everton :-D , but somehow it feels more and more system related and not just a lazy bug scoring is a lot more different for strikers.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I don't know. 43 goals in 26 matches which is 4th best in the league. The players are poor and I did try to implement a custom Control Possession tactic, which at this low level was maybe not the best idea. Saying that though, I conceded 19 in 26, which was the best.

I am in the lower leagues too, conversion rate of 20% which basically means I score from every 4th attempt, which is kinda crazy. We are in the National North, worst team in the land, and have scored  22 goals in 9 games, playing a 4231. Never thought I would see an Inside Forward in National North, grab 8 assists in 7 appearances with 3 goals to his tally. 8 different goal scorers in the club with the lone forward on 7 goals in 6 appearances, and we're playing a nifty brand of one touch passing, or at least as much as you could expect from the lower tiers. 

My objective was similar, aiming for 60%+ possession with 65% pass completion at this level is not that bad, almost at 850 passes per game. And doing it with a bloody 4231, never thought I would see the day it would be viable as a defensive.  tactic. We are brutal though leading the league with a 92% tackle completion ratio.

1 hour ago, legnerschorsch said:

What?

The AI wasn´t brought up by me. This was another poster. But I would like to hear statements about the long-terms plans in regards of the graphic/match engine and if a stadium editor is something they look into or are even working on it.

It was a direct reply to what you said.  You asked why they didn't do it, I answered.  The rest was clearly meant in generalities.

As for hearing statements about long-term plans, I don't imagine you're alone in that.  However, you're also going to be disappointed, as I doubt it'll ever be a route they go down.  Plans change, and for every one person that accepts this, and is just happy they got a window into their plans, there'll be 10 castigating them for "going back on their word" or similar.  In fact, you could widen that.  For every 1 rational, realistic person, there's going to be 10 the complete opposite, largely ruining it for everyone.

Just now, Rashidi said:

I am in the lower leagues too, conversion rate of 20% which basically means I score from every 4th attempt, which is kinda crazy. We are in the National North, worst team in the land, and have scored  22 goals in 9 games, playing a 4231. Never thought I would see an Inside Forward in National North, grab 8 assists in 7 appearances with 3 goals to his tally. 8 different goal scorers in the club with the lone forward on 7 goals in 6 appearances, and we're playing a nifty brand of one touch passing, or at least as much as you could expect from the lower tiers. 

My objective was similar, aiming for 60%+ possession with 65% pass completion at this level is not that bad, almost at 850 passes per game.

That's very good! I averaged only 455 passes per match.

1 hour ago, legnerschorsch said:

What?

There is a search function on the forums, I would encourage you to use it to find out if these have been answered. Expecting members of the forum or SI staff to be at your beck and call to answer every question you have is .. unrealistic. These statements have been made in the past, in fact they are pretty common questions.

my strikers keep missing easy goals, i have to shot 20 times to score 1 goal, on the other side the 1st good opportunity is a goal, i'm losing and tying game where i have 20-30 shots with at least 5-6 clear opportunities in front of the goalie and the opponent win with less than 5 shots. It just keeps happening

I got to give props to SI on trying to mitigate the crossing issue. I have been playing a couple seasons now and even though the match engine is still a bit unbalanced when it comes too many goals coming from set pieces and crossing, the game play is so much more enjoyable now. 

Edited by borisbachalov

2 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Giroud one of my fav players during his time at Arsenal, but you are right... Far more detractors than supporters when a striker is on a drought. 

He's always been a bit mischaracterised - people act like he's got no technique but he was integral to that goal vs Norwich that was so good someone uploaded it to pornhub.

Also objectively the best looking man in football.

22 horas atrás, noikeee disse:

My experience of attempting to play somewhat similarly to this is it works, but you get lots of set piece goals and **** all from open play. But I'm gonna take a few ideas from this and mesh it with my tactic and see how it goes.

I suspect the Bundesliga where I'm trying this (with Dortmund), is particularly hostile to this kind of football due to the attributes of the AI managers there. Been trying everything and anything and nothing cracks the AI sides in the Bundesliga. Lots of high pressing, fluid compact sides, width-seeking sides who beat you through crosses and corners.

Just following back on this, I must hold my hand up and admit Mensell's tips on this were really great, it transformed my previous decent-but-dull wide 4-3-3 into a pretty satisfying tactic. Still a bit too many set piece goals IMO but I'm actually enjoying this now, I was starting to think this kind of football with this kind of results (consistent and high scoring) was impossible in this ME:

DgP8bX8.jpg 

It's now pretty identical to his setup, but I have a pressing forward and two playmakers in midfield, a AP/A and a Regista instead of a CM/A and a DM/S.

I think a few TIs I imitated from his tactic to be patient with play helped a ton, but the biggest breakthrough might've been having a second IF instead of a Raumdeuter, doh. :D I dunno why was I insisting so much on the Raum, I really wanted to make him work but he's just too much of a static poacher, doesn't combine with the other players. 

Not to further derail this since this is the general feedback thread, my next step is to try this on my career and see if it's viable at lower level. ;) Will give you credit for this @Mensell76

Edited by noikeee

Can't wait to get a touch of the demo finally when I have some more time. Curious about all the forward "issues" (including that old chestnut being back that the AI of course has none of these issues as always ---- bollocks I say! :D)  On any release prior you'd have to do pretty silly stuff to have subpar conversions overall, though. Then again, there are also multiple reports of players across various boards how AI could pick to park the bus every other week, even if they are like one of the game's worlds top teams. If true, that's just unrealistic and will impact space, and eventually, conversions, for sure. Apparently the AI seems coded to ape Burnley last season. :P

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/25/sports/soccer/burnley-arsenal-premier-league.html

Edited by Svenc