Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
GunmaN1905

Final: France vs Croatia, 4pm BST

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

 

 

No way.  No way.  It was never there to "help them make decisions", they make decisions in real time and VAR was supposed to be used sparingly only to correct obvious mistakes.  To save refs the embarrassment if they missed something horrific like Maradona's handball or that offside Argentina goal against Mexico which people are still talking about 10+ years later.  It should have been used a handful of times across the whole tournament if that, just a failsafe if the referee makes a total **** up.  They're not supposed to freeze in the moment, not give a decision. and then trot over to the video because they can't make their minds up.

Best post on the subject in this thread and spot on, nothing that needs to be added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Not like anybody's been heaping praise on Giroud though. If you're suggesting he should be criticised (which his finishing should be because he's missed chances) then how do you explain the insistence some people have in their rabid defence of Raheem Sterling?

I wasn't suggesting that Giroud should be matching Kane's goal record this tournament btw, just pointing out that he's not had a shot on target yet and nobody has said a word but there's people on these boards that are tripping over each other to downplay Kane's achievement of winning the Golden Boot, granted his goals haven't been amazing but he's stuck the ball in the net six times and at the end of the day, who cares how they go in? 

I understand why Giroud is starting for France, they went with Dembele/Griezmann and Mbappe for the opening game and it just didn't work so in came Giroud and they're in the final, yes he's not the main goal threat but it's pretty remarkable that he's not had a SOT yet. Sterling I can understand too why he's starting despite his poor record in front of goal for England, he like Giroud offers more in the build up and link play. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

No way.  No way.  It was never there to "help them make decisions", they make decisions in real time and VAR was supposed to be used sparingly only to correct obvious mistakes.  To save refs the embarrassment if they missed something horrific like Maradona's handball or that offside Argentina goal against Mexico which people are still talking about 10+ years later.  It should have been used a handful of times across the whole tournament if that, just a failsafe if the referee makes a total **** up.  They're not supposed to freeze in the moment, not give a decision. and then trot over to the video because they can't make their minds up.

Not seeing a player handle the ball is pretty much the definition of an obvious mistake, regardless of whether his ultimate decision is correct or not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Goal of the Tournament vote on the BBC :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Is there anyone else in this forum except for you complaining about that goal?

Walker took a dive, and Perišić got to the ball first in that situation.

not complaining, just saying, did I state it was a wrong decision? did I state it was a right one? no, just been a few this match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why do people act like there was a dive on first goal freekick? Didn't seem that way to me (but again i'm not objective).

Penalty is a bad reflex from Perisic (he don't see the ball, but his hand do a clear move toward the ball)...

France lucky though, with 2 goals coming from basically nothing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

Best post on the subject in this thread and spot on, nothing that needs to be added.

Just one word that needs to be added, really.

"Wrong"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I wasn't suggesting that Giroud should be matching Kane's goal record this tournament btw, just pointing out that he's not had a shot on target yet and nobody has said a word but there's people on these boards that are tripping over each other to downplay Kane's achievement of winning the Golden Boot, granted his goals haven't been amazing but he's stuck the ball in the net six times and at the end of the day, who cares how they go in? 

I understand why Giroud is starting for France, they went with Dembele/Griezmann and Mbappe for the opening game and it just didn't work so in came Giroud and they're in the final, yes he's not the main goal threat but it's pretty remarkable that he's not had a SOT yet. Sterling I can understand too why he's starting despite his poor record in front of goal for England, he like Giroud offers more in the build up and link play. 

 

Well it's not really a surprise that England's best player's performances illicit more opinion on an English based message board than Giroud's tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shearer such a moron :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyp said:

why do people act like there was a dive on first goal freekick? Didn't seem that way to me (but again i'm not objective).

Penalty is a bad reflex from Perisic (he don't see the ball, but his hand do a clear move toward the ball)...

France lucky though, with 2 goals coming from basically nothing...

I missed the free kick given in real time as I wasn't home just then but having seen replays, he's halfway to the grass before anyone touches him :D Definitely a dive or at the best just no decision to be made

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

He didn't really say it wasn't a penalty in real time though did he, it just looked like he didn't see it and then the VAR refs got into his ear about it.

 

3 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

So if the referee, like here, hasn't even seen what he should be making a decision about, France are just supposed to be ****ed?

 

If he doesnt see it, he doesn't give a penalty.  So that's his decision.  End of.  It should get VAR'd only if it's an absolute shocker of a mistake which everyone round a table would agree is wrong.  It's not supposed to be used every time there's a coming together or a loose ball bouncing around in the box which you can argue both ways.  Look how many penalties have been given in this World Cup... it's absurd.  They are literally changing football in front of our eyes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Shearer such a moron :lol:

I have no idea why you say so but I agree based on a larger body of work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was the original? 

He ****ing wasn't :lol:

in fact he's never been called that before now, ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griezmann also a **** for that celebration towards the croatian fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

France looking nowhere near that calculated team that controls the game with ease everyone persumes them to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see Croatia have a lot of fight left in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

 

 

If he doesnt see it, he doesn't give a penalty.  So that's his decision.  End of.  It should get VAR'd only if it's an absolute shocker of a mistake which everyone round a table would agree is wrong.  It's not supposed to be used every time there's a coming together or a loose ball bouncing around in the box which you can argue both ways.  Look how many penalties have been given in this World Cup... it's absurd.  They are literally changing football in front of our eyes.

 

What utter rot, he can't make a decision on something he doesn't see :D

And they damn well should change the game right in front of our eyes, you are literally complaining that players aren't getting away with fouls ffs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Mowbray just claim Lloris was the original sweeper keeper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Croatia have simply outplayed France to this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDownie said:

He was the original? 

He ****ing wasn't :lol:

in fact he's never been called that before now, ever. 

Mowbray has been absolutely awful this tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Croatia need to score in this period, theyre so on top right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame that this controversy is going to take away from what has been an incredible final

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowbray's had as good a World Cup Final as Oliver Kahn had 16 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

 

 

If he doesnt see it, he doesn't give a penalty.  So that's his decision.  End of.  It should get VAR'd only if it's an absolute shocker of a mistake which everyone round a table would agree is wrong.  It's not supposed to be used every time there's a coming together or a loose ball bouncing around in the box which you can argue both ways.  Look how many penalties have been given in this World Cup... it's absurd.  They are literally changing football in front of our eyes.

 

Why do you keep posting that it shouldn't be used for comings together and loose balls and ball to hands when it hasn';t been used for any of those things?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GunmaN pitch invasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah, Croatia were breaking a bit there as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rio_V said:

I have no idea why you say so but I agree based on a larger body of work. 

Basically just answered the wrong question as per usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was that about? Were we anticipating any Croatian 'invaders'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Haguey said:

Croatia need to score in this period, theyre so on top right now.

and it isn’t just bc France are sitting on the lead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Why wasn't there nudity dammit :mad:

 

Edited by JDownie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thengil said:

Griezmann also a **** for that celebration towards the croatian fans.

That's the celebration he always does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

France bringing off Kanté is big, no matter how good N'Zonzi is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Pitch invasion. 

And ensuing decapitation....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kante out, idk about this.

Nzonzi is probably too slow to handle Croatian midfielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven Nzonzi is playing in a World Cup Final.

Honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×