Agentina Vs Iceland. 1400BST ITV

decapitated

What a result for Iceland. :applause:

I'm really not convinced that Argentina can escape this group. Playing like they are, they'll surely lose to at least one of Croatia and Nigeria, if not both.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

As anyone who's watched Argentina could've predicted.

Terrible lineup, clueless coach, pass the ball to Messi and hope for the best.

Why would you need Biglia-Masch against a team that will obviously defend for 90 minutes?
Fielding Caballero and Rojo that barely played whole season long, not giving Higuain more minutes even though it was obvious they need a no9 in the box.

Messi playing awfully and bottling the penalty, can't expect much more.

Yep. Ridiculous and deserved. 

Just now, DB08 said:

Beat the Dutch, drew with Portugal, beat England and have now drawn against Argentina.

For a country with less than 350,000 people, this is a quite unbelievable achievement.

Was just about to post the same. Very impressive. Any side will find it tough to break them down. 

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

I'm really not convinced that Argentina can escape this group. Playing like they are, they'll surely lose to at least one of Croatia and Nigeria, if not both.

Pretty sure Nigeria beat them 4-2 a few months back. 

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

depends if Nigeria can bring back the glory of 1994 :cool:

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Messi to retire from Argentina for good after this WC? 

These folks he's got to play alongside are dragging him down. 

They`re his pals, can`t really complain, can he? :D

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

he needs to leave them so they can find a new way to play.  Also it might allow Dybala, Icardi and others into the team

4 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Don't think Argentina were as bad as being made out. I think most big sides would struggle against a team with 11 players on the edge of their box, that well organised and structured. 

It's not the result. They didn't create anything.

Absolutely no off-ball movement or anything that resembles a gameplan.

Option 1A, 1B, 1C, 2 - give the ball to Messi and stand around like idiots.

Option 3 - get it to the wing and hope for the best after a cross, even though the only guy in the box is Aguero.

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

It would be hilarious for Messi to retire only for Argentina to win next World Cup with Icardi as frontrunner

Like I said, other teams would struggle to create against a team with everyone on the edge of their box. And Iceland are very good at what they do. This isn't some weak side wandering into the tournament and just trying to save embarrassment by shoving everyone back. Iceland have the talent levels of other weak teams, but they have a system and work it well.

Croatia and Nigeria either won't do that, or won't do it as well. They'll create more chances against both

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Croatia and Nigeria either won't do that, or won't do it as well. They'll create more chances against both 

And what about the other side of the pitch?

Whenever Iceland got close to their box, Argentinian defense went into full-panic mode.

They will probably still get out of the group, but as soon as they face a proper team, they will wish they got eliminated.

2 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

The conundrum of Argentina, I’d certainly want Higuain and Agüero starting. 3-5-2 or 4312 without question 

I think 4-3-1-2 would be great, but Argentina don't have great fullbacks. And you can't trust Salvio to defend the right side without help

Offensively, Salvio is good enough for 4-3-1-2. But you run risks the other way

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

And what about the other side of the pitch?

Whenever Iceland got close to their box, Argentinian defense went into full-panic mode.

They will probably still get out of the group, but as soon as they face a proper team, they will wish they got eliminated.

Posted earlier. It will improve with games. They haven't played together. They'll still be vulnerable because they don't have great defenders. But they didn't have great defenders in 2014 and still managed it

For sure their cbs are poor but are they really worse than Iceland’s. It’s just a poor mentality and coaching instruction. If that’s the case at least put all your best attackers on. 

I cant believe how **** they are 

Posted earlier. It will improve with games. They haven't played together. They'll still be vulnerable because they don't have great defenders. But they didn't have great defenders in 2014 and still managed it 

Well, for one, I don't think Salvio is the option as RB against stronger teams.

Taglifacio and Otamendi are solid, Rojo looks shaky. Caballero simply isn't good enough.

The biggest issue is transition defense with two very slow midfielders. I don't know what was he thinking when he didn't invite Paredes or Pizarro.
Also, Croatia is very good at maintaining possession and Argentina looks terrible in pressing department. 2 midfielders+Messi are absolutely useless in that aspect.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, for one, I don't think Salvio is the option as RB against stronger teams.

Taglifacio and Otamendi are solid, Rojo looks shaky. Caballero simply isn't good enough.

The biggest issue is transition defense with two very slow midfielders. I don't know what was he thinking when he didn't invite Paredes or Pizarro.
Also, Croatia is very good at maintaining possession and Argentina looks terrible in pressing department. 2 midfielders+Messi are absolutely useless in that aspect.

They don't have a choice. If you don't produce players, you have to work with what you have. 

Argentina haven't produced fullbacks for years. They're not the only country with this issue, but they have to work with Salvio or Mercado. They don't have a good two way player who can do a job, so you have to accept either:

* Salvio offering a good offensive threat (like he did today), but a risk defensively

* Mercado being better defensively, but won't help going forward

hace 5 minutos, Citizen Kane dijo:

For sure their cbs are poor but are they really worse than Iceland’s. It’s just a poor mentality and coaching instruction. If that’s the case at least put all your best attackers on. 

I cant believe how **** they are 

Oh, you better believe it!

For me, 3-5-2 would be a better option since they don't have the players for this formation, obviously.

Add Fazio in the backline, or even Mascherano in De Rossi 2012 role.

Salvio or Acuna on the right, LWB would be the problem, though.

Banega or Celso with Biglia/Masch and then pick 2 forwards paired with Messi.

Btw, picture of the day.

35474326_1002260019942744_36488792010685

Only Luigi Riva (13 in 1970 vs Sweden) had more shots in a World Cup game without scoring than Lionel Messi today (11).

bonus :D:

154f1524-8375-488a-8354-dadefb597b8f.gif

Just now, av3ry said:

Peru vs Denmark or Croatia vs Nigeria? I cant be bothered to watch both.

Peru vs Denmark has the Peru novelty (no WC since 1982), so it's slightly more interesting, I think.

The back three was rubbish during qualifiers. If you don't have central defenders, playing more central defenders is not a good idea. They don't have players for three man defence.

The fact is Argentina have obvious weaknesses caused by not producing certain positions, and no amount of tactical wizardry is going to hide it. A four hides most of their issues

28 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why would you need Biglia-Masch against a team that will obviously defend for 90 minutes?
Fielding Caballero and Rojo that barely played whole season long, not giving Higuain more minutes even though it was obvious they need a no9 in the box.

its the first match, even France didn't field a strong team against Australia, nor spain.

The back three was rubbish during qualifiers. If you don't have central defenders, playing more central defenders is not a good idea. They don't have players for three man defence.

The fact is Argentina have obvious weaknesses caused by not producing certain positions, and no amount of tactical wizardry is going to hide it. A four hides most of their issues

Imo, they were rubbish in every game ever since that 2016 Copa America loss.

Fullbacks are an issue, but CMs certainly aren't.

They don't have a top class CM, true, but Banega, Lo Celso, Paredes, Pizarro are more than good enough to organize a team. No need to make Xavi-level passes, just move the ball around.
But it's obvious that Sampaoli wants Messi to get the ball 40m away from the goal and then everyone waits on him.

54 minutes ago, DB08 said:

Beat the Dutch, drew with Portugal, beat England and have now drawn against Argentina.

For a country with less than 350,000 people, this is a quite unbelievable achievement.

Let's give us the credit we deserve here, we destroyed the Dutch. Have you seen their performances since we beat them? We took an institution of modern football and burned it the **** down!

Then we casually went and beat out Croatia to qualify for a world cup. Easy as you'd like, really.

Messi can go do one, while Ronaldo is banging in hat tricks against Spain, Messi barely even shows up for the world cup. Joker.

I love how all the mentions are of how well we defended, not seen a single mention (while skim reading tbf) of how we created way more good chances than Argentina did.

46 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Don't think Argentina were as bad as being made out. I think most big sides would struggle against a team with 11 players on the edge of their box, that well organised and structured. 

Agreed, Iceland have made it a lot of countries very difficult. They are just a really decent side and a tough opponent to play against :)

52 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I also found it very remarkable to see some players of Argentina constantly searching for Messi in such a forced way. Every time they set up an attack it's like 'where is Messi? where is Messi?' instead of actually looking who is the best option whether it's Messi or someone else. Imo there is this huge huge strained frame around the team that Messi needs to be some kind of Maradona for them otherwise it's impossible to be successful. It's sounds ridiculous but I almost got the feeling that without Messi the team would play almost with less pressure. 

4 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

Then we casually went and beat out Croatia to qualify for a world cup. Easy as you'd like, really.

Ehm, not to take any credit away from Iceland because I actually supported you in qualifiers, but you won with a late set-piece goal and got beaten handily in the other game.

If FA and the players weren't in complete shambles, it wouldn't have happened.

5 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

I also found it very remarkable to see some players of Argentina constantly searching for Messi in such a forced way. Every time they set up an attack it's like 'where is Messi? where is Messi?' instead of actually looking who is the best option whether it's Messi or someone else. Imo there is this huge huge strained frame around the team that Messi needs to be some kind of Maradona for them otherwise it's impossible to be successful. It's sounds ridiculous but I almost got the feeling that without Messi the team would play almost with less pressure. 

And that puts a shade on him.
It makes them look like they have to pass it to him.

Another issue is that he's no leader.
I don't buy that silent leader crap.

First they took Zanetti's captaincy way before he retired and gave it to Masch. Masch grows into a great leader and they give it to Messi.
The best player doesn't have to be a good leader.

Ronaldo was also pretty bad at this, but over the years he's grown into a great leader.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Ehm, not to take any credit away from Iceland because I actually supported you in qualifiers, but you won with a late set-piece goal and got beaten handily in the other game.

If FA and the players weren't in complete shambles, it wouldn't have happened.

How on earth you are taking any part of that post seriously after I claimed we burned down an institution of modern football is beyond me, honestly

2 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

How on earth you are taking any part of that post seriously after I claimed we burned down an institution of modern football is beyond me, honestly

Act as if it never happened, didn't read it with comperhension.

But I'll be sure to support Iceland against criminal organization on the last matchday. :D

1 hour ago, Astafjevs said:

People definitely overreacting re: Argentina.

Archived