Agentina Vs Iceland. 1400BST ITV

decapitated

2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

What happened to Rulli? He's amazing in FM.

He`s not even in the squad. No surprise tbf, Argentina have had some dodgy team selections for the last 3 World Cups.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

What happened to Rulli? He's amazing in FM.

Injured, Sociedad had a weird GKing crisis where they had to use 4 different guys. He had a really bad season this year before the injury anyway. Still probably take him over Willy mind.

Just seen the Argentine squad and Caballero might actually be the best choice. The two other ones are 32 y.o. Guzman playing for some Mexican team (6 caps) and 31 y.o. Armani from River, who hasn't had a single cap yet :D 

4 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

He`s not even in the squad. No surprise tbf, Argentina have had some dodgy team selections for the last 3 World Cups.

I mean doing his cruicate ligament in Febuary might have something to do with it...

3 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Just seen the Argentine squad and Caballero might actually be the best choice. The two other ones are 32 y.o. Guzman playing for some Mexican team (6 caps) and 31 y.o. Armani from River, who hasn't had a single cap yet :D 

So who are the other two in the squad for this WC?

Just now, TM said:

he's never been capped for Argentina apparently either, played in the Olympic side in 2016

Yeah he certainly should have played in the previous 2 years with Romero on the bench at Utd, was playing very well for Sociedad then.

I mean though, Caballero only made his debut 3 months ago. At 36! What exactly did Argentina see in him whilst sitting on Chelsea's bench that make him stand out over every other Argentinian keeper? :D Just find it hard to believe there's nobody better.

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

If they gave a pen for that handball I think football fans worldwide might have imploded :D 

I am expecting at least one very controversial VAR call in this WC, but that would have been insane. 

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

I mean though, Caballero only made his debut 3 months ago. At 36! What exactly did Argentina see in him whilst sitting on Chelsea's bench that make him stand out over every other Argentinian keeper? :D Just find it hard to believe there's nobody better.

Argentina keepers suck! Not like Romero was exactly good.

Willy was actually very solid for Malaga back in the day tbf, the clownshoes didn't seem to arrive until he came to England :D.

Is it just me or have the Russian picture guys been awful at showing replays at this world cup? Never seem to go back and show an incident if it isn't immediately after the ball has gone out of play.

As for the penalty, I remember an exactly the same situation from Juventus-Inter game from last season and the explanation was there's no penalty if the defender blocks it and it deflects into his arm from while he's falling down.

If it touched the arm first, it would've been a penalty.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

As for the penalty, I remember an exactly the same situation from Juventus-Inter game from last season and the explanation was there's no penalty if the defender blocks it and it deflects into his arm from while he's falling down.

If it touched the arm first, it would've been a penalty.

Well yeah the handball has to be deliberate, if it hits another body part and bounces into his arm it's not deliberate.

So fascinating to see that Iceland is not at all impressed or whatsoever with whom they are facing. Usually you can see in some teams this huge respect for the opponent which makes them completely choke, but Iceland is like ... yeah that's Messi, that's Kun Agüero, that's Di Maria there, not bothered at all we're just going to play our own game and stay calm. 

3 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Is it just me or have the Russian picture guys been awful at showing replays at this world cup? Never seem to go back and show an incident if it isn't immediately after the ball has gone out of play.

And they barely show hot babes at the stand... Disgraceful! 

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Btw, I didn't see any comments about Messi jogging around and getting caught offside basically at the center, while everyone shat on Ronaldo last night.

Thank you. He makes one defensive effort per half and is an amazing two way player while Ronaldo is a selfish striker. Please. 

10 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Willy was actually very solid for Malaga back in the day tbf, the clownshoes didn't seem to arrive until he came to England :D.

True. Tbf I can't remember any decent ones since Goycochea (sp?!), and even he probably wasn't as good as my 13 year old self remembers.

4 minutes ago, Rio_V said:

Thank you. He makes one defensive effort per half and is an amazing two way player while Ronaldo is a selfish striker. Please. 

Who was saying Messi was a great all round player in attack and defence?

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

True. Tbf I can't remember any decent ones since Goycochea (sp?!), and even he probably wasn't as good as my 13 year old self remembers.

was decent at saving penalties :D was going to say Pumpido but I remember what he did in the opening game V Cameroon and then he broke his leg in the 2nd game in 1990

The bigger problem than the Keeper is the defense allowing those chances. That doesn’t bode well moving forward. 

Any backline with Otamendi is going to be suspect and he might be the best of the 4. And mascherano is past it. 

Just now, G-Man11 said:

Romero was very good in the last WC, but in general he's mediocre.

Caballero has really had a funny career - he was solid at Malaga, but before that he played for ages in Segunda Division. If someone would've tell him 10 years ago that he would play for two of the biggest clubs in England and at the 2018 WC, he probably would think they were mad :D 

Just now, Bliss Seeker said:

Missed the first half, can someone give me a summary? 

Aguero got one chance, scored it.  Iceland realised how crappy Argentina's defence was and got an equaliser from it and have looked dangerous any time they've been near the box

Argentina passed the ball about but did mostly nothing with it, other than the Aguero goal

1 minute ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

I'd hate to see Iceland win, Argentina will be pure entertainment in the knockouts vs. a bigger side (in a bad and good way), loss will be detrimental to their hopes of qualifying.

Yeah, it would be a 2010 type of entertainment with them get battered.

If Iceland and Nigera don't lose today, Thursday's Argentina-Croatia game will be amazing.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, it would be a 2010 type of entertainment with them get battered.

If Iceland and Nigera don't lose today, Thursday's Argentina-Croatia game will be amazing.

That's the game I've been looking forward to most in these group stages aside from Spain Portugal, looks like it'll be incredibly entertaining and I've got Croatia edging it.

Archived