Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

Match day seems so laggy at times doesn't it? Or is it just me?

Like I'll play 3-4 games and its perfect, runs like a dream then suddenly everything runs at a snails pace, subs are impossible to make, ME itself is laggy etc...like I said it runs so smoothly for a little bit then almost like the game just can't handle it or perhaps my laptop. I doubt it though as its more than good enough for the specs list given by SI. I'm currently playing 3-4 games then saving it, turning off computer then coming back on again which is far from ideal. I'd accept it if I felt the ME had made a huge leap forwards and needed much higher specs but whilst it's better, it's hardly groundbreaking. Worrying too that we're on patch 18.2.1 now and it's not any better.

Should add however that the rest of the game is great and I love most of the features and out of the match day it runs fine. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Svenc said:

I have a few beefs here too but out of interest, are you on a download/exploit tactic this year? They all seem to go narrow overload again. In that case, to a degree, I consider the big amount of set pieces a good thing, as that's illogical and rightly oft struggles to create space (in particular against opposition that drop deep and compress the area itself -- they just have it easy to engage any attacking player then as they have no distance to cover and are rarely, if ever, actually stretched for position). Kinda like this (last season's) -- reported it, but got no reply.  Mind, to a degree AI is oft doing it all themselves, sadly. I can't watch it either when they just push every single player forward (all players on at least support), no less as there is no decent ball circulation going on, possibly. In FM 2016, I demonstrated to somebody how the win ratio of a top team playing like some AI does could go down by a good 15-20% almost all itself. Just not believable "top class" management, as it's violating team sports basics, rather than any "tactical masterstroke". Happy hollidays anyway, k! :)

Tbh I've mostly used one downloaded tactic (three strikers ftw!) together with my own creations, and this has been a common pattern in each case - of course my creations might also rely on exploits especially when AI decides to defend or die, anyway this is an example of something I played a lot in my save (main purpose was to get the striker to score a lot for a 1000 goals challenge):

5a175ccd48435_RiverAtlticoClube(PI)_Overview.thumb.png.df8e063b94a39c1d27c0029942220be9.png

You're MOST likely capable of more detailed analysis than me but for me throw ins really are a distinct cause of a few issues of current ME: attacking throw ins under very standard set-ups generate tons of chances and long shots, and these long shots might also generate lots of corner kicks. AI also seems to have these type of chances quite consistently (obviously a lower total number as they tend to attack less), plus the infamous indirect free kicks to unmarked/unmarkable man lurking outside the box. This adds to other issues explained much better by @El Payaso and makes for a less than exciting match experience for me. Happy holidays Svenc, this is a great time to play Thimbleweed Park!

Guest El Payaso

Well a good thing about the newest version is that in my opinion the 'triangles working' goals have become less common. At least for me. Also the amount of attempted passes for strikers has roughly dropped maybe 30% compared to FM 2017 where you could comfortably achieve close to 100 attempted passes for a support duty striker and most of them in danger areas. No need to be a scientist to figure out where those kind of numbers lead to. Don't remember if this has been the trend since FM 2014 or 2015 - strikers dominating the game I mean. 

Throw-ins have been a pain in my side for many years and I have always been reporting on those so that the whole throw-in system would look totally different but like @kandersson said it has reached the worst level on FM so far as long as other set pieces. You basically cannot score from direct free-kicks and by default have simple exploits in both corner kicks and indirect free-kicks where the edge of the area man is always unmarked. The funny thing here is the fact that SI actually promote those exploits in Twitter. Well not funny but something that is really amusing for me if the game have tried to design somewhat a realistic and challenging game. Based on the level of the AI it makes sense and the actual aim is to have the game in a state like this. Easy and fun for everybody with some cool exploits. 

Well luckily the thing is that you don't have to play it if you don't enjoy it. Will gladly test it out when the next major update comes out and if it includes some fixes to these issues:

- Set pieces in general.

- More aggressive defensive positioning.

- Strikers dropping to midfield to defend and centre backs joining attacks if the opportunity rises.

- Improved shooting in general.

- Improved intelligence and passing range for players with vision.

- Midfielders rushing forward when opportunity rises.

The patch must have changed the ME as i watch my Players do quite more sane and creative things on the field as well.

So far i have in hundreds of Matches seen an offside replay once and now with this patch the refferee acted according to the Advantage rule and let my Team Play out an attack and send off a Player after that for foul play - never seen that b4.

12 hours ago, El Payaso said:

https://community.sigames.com/forum/67-tactics-sharing-centre-uploaddownload/

Doesn't really surprise that most of these are 4-4-2. I hope that SI can fix these issues that especially a multi forward systems are producing.

Don't understand this. There are only two 4-4-2 tactics on the first page of that sub-forum. Wildly guessing that you meant to point out the issue of three-striker formations, but there are only five of those (many of the 433 or 343 tactics use wide AML/R and only one striker) and four of those are just variations of Knap tactics.

I also don't recognise a lot of the complaints about samey gameplay/identical goals. I have two saves running at both ends of the English pyramid and I'm seeing all kinds of goals - crosses to both posts, through balls, knockdowns in the area, goals from corners and freekicks, and several scored from outside the penalty area - headed goals, tap-ins, long shots. I'd be interested to hear of a kind of goal I haven't seen in the last week or so. And I might politely suggest that if you're playing the same kind of tactics, you're going to see the same kind of goals.

There are enough genuine issues to raise about the current ME, but most of the recent complaints don't merit the attention, IMHO.

Guest El Payaso
10 hours ago, warlock said:

Don't understand this. There are only two 4-4-2 tactics on the first page of that sub-forum. Wildly guessing that you meant to point out the issue of three-striker formations, but there are only five of those (many of the 433 or 343 tactics use wide AML/R and only one striker) and four of those are just variations of Knap tactics.

I also don't recognise a lot of the complaints about samey gameplay/identical goals. I have two saves running at both ends of the English pyramid and I'm seeing all kinds of goals - crosses to both posts, through balls, knockdowns in the area, goals from corners and freekicks, and several scored from outside the penalty area - headed goals, tap-ins, long shots. I'd be interested to hear of a kind of goal I haven't seen in the last week or so. And I might politely suggest that if you're playing the same kind of tactics, you're going to see the same kind of goals.

There are enough genuine issues to raise about the current ME, but most of the recent complaints don't merit the attention, IMHO.

Well multi-striker formations anyway and at least three 4-4-2s actually. Of course there are also those different "let's add every instruction available to some formation" tactics that make a mess out of the ME. 

There is really high amount of repetitive goals in my opinion especially if you look at AI that plays with 4-4-2 (they don't usually use those crazy 3 striker formations). My variation also is decent like for example last three goals are: a long ranger from full running speed 25 yards out (first one I have seen from that far), a good header from free-kick where there actually was marking on my players and another long ranger from midfield. But to add to that there are also those repetitive ones like throw-in goals, players unmarked outside the area during set pieces etc. Especially if you look at those two Atlético .pkms that I uploaded to previous page you can see that they are just using basically one trick to score and otherwise their attacking play is nothing.

If you look this for example you can see that there is much bigger variation during one full season even though the style of play is the same. And for example this season Atlético (and many others like Chelsea) have struggled with their attacking play while on FM especially with multi-striker formation you can be totally one trick pony and score ship loads of goals with teams like Atlético as there are always the same huge gaps to exploit. 

Never been one to DL tactics before but I've had a look at some that people have posted and pretty much any formation with three strikers completely breaks the game.

Tried a couple and I was just winning game after game by 3, 4 and 5 goals.  Feels like a setup I actively need to stay away from now to keep any enjoyment in the game. 

It is just me or every edition is harder and harder to win games away from home? I mean i understand it has to be more dificult but not at that point even if you have much better squad.

I would like to say "it's my tactics" but i try hundreds.

I have a question with your permission ☺️

I realised today. ( hope I can explain) if you go to a player screen ( whom u want to transfer ) if you add him as transfer aim. Next day you see him full attributes. He suddenly becomes 100/100 scouted.

on this way there is no need to scout a player. Instead of this just make him transfer aim the day before 100/100 knowledge about him. İs it a bug or ??? 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb dmndmn:

I have a question with your permission ☺️

I realised today. ( hope I can explain) if you go to a player screen ( whom u want to transfer ) if you add him as transfer aim. Next day you see him full attributes. He suddenly becomes 100/100 scouted.

on this way there is no need to scout a player. Instead of this just make him transfer aim the day before 100/100 knowledge about him. İs it a bug or ??? 

Obviously. Post it in the bugs forum.

5 hours ago, jam jameson said:

Does anyone know whether the hotfix just released ha changed anything in the ME? because in the 2 matches played after the hotfix I've seen something new, more varied and surprising in terms of passing game and type of goals

What was fixed is in the list, so no. This was a hotfix, not a normal update.

Guest El Payaso
2 hours ago, ben carter said:

Never been one to DL tactics before but I've had a look at some that people have posted and pretty much any formation with three strikers completely breaks the game.

Tried a couple and I was just winning game after game by 3, 4 and 5 goals.  Feels like a setup I actively need to stay away from now to keep any enjoyment in the game. 

Out of interest: how were the goals scored on those three striker tactics? I know how 4-4-2 works out but have never used 3 forward tactics and I am not really interested in downloading any as I have never done that. If you have time you could upload your findings here: 

Happy holidays people. :) 

Tactics that are barely used IRL are ridiculously overpowered, such as the 433 with 3 strikers, 1 CM and 2 AMCs (really? where did that even come from?), and the 4222 (a 80's tactic thats hard to break in the game).

That makes the game frustrating, it feels less realistic.

2 hours ago, jengaehassim said:

Tactics that are barely used IRL are ridiculously overpowered, such as the 433 with 3 strikers, 1 CM and 2 AMCs (really? where did that even come from?), and the 4222 (a 80's tactic thats hard to break in the game).

That makes the game frustrating, it feels less realistic.

I kinda liked the brazilian 4222 irl as it used two No.10's behind two strikers, it was a very creative formation though obviously outdated now. In FM this formation has been my nightmare for years (especially when used by small, defensive teams): basically it's a block of four defensive midfielders together with an ultra-deep and disciplined defensive line including very defensive full-backs. Toughest AI formation to break if you ask me!

Question is : it is more easier to make some hot fixes  if we compare it with last years. ? I have some little issues raised in bugs forum I hope if they will be fixed before christmas :( what u think guys ?

I'm generally enjoying the current match engine and FM18 in particular since the new patch.  I haven't tried the three striker systems which from reports seem OTT at the moment so that probably helps.  I am currently playing an adaptable 3-3-2-2 WB DM system which I can make possession or more direct depending on team instructions and the opposition, which is something I am really enjoying.  The only minor bug bear I have is that when my wing backs contribute in attack which mine are set up to do so and say they have a good game and either get a good number of assists or key passes/chances created I can't praise them for doing so after the game which is quite annoying because that is usually their main contribution.  Not a huge issue I know but it does seem silly when I can't praise my wing back for his 8 key passes and 1 chance created like in the last game I played.

18 dakika önce, WhyMe said:

I'm generally enjoying the current match engine and FM18 in particular since the new patch.  I haven't tried the three striker systems which from reports seem OTT at the moment so that probably helps.  I am currently playing an adaptable 3-3-2-2 WB DM system which I can make possession or more direct depending on team instructions and the opposition, which is something I am really enjoying.  The only minor bug bear I have is that when my wing backs contribute in attack which mine are set up to do so and say they have a good game and either get a good number of assists or key passes/chances created I can't praise them for doing so after the game which is quite annoying because that is usually their main contribution.  Not a huge issue I know but it does seem silly when I can't praise my wing back for his 8 key passes and 1 chance created like in the last game I played.

My biggest bug is about scouting mate... otherways great for me ! Just need a little hotfix for scouting

Just started up a new save after not playing for like a month.

Decided to go with Schalke.
Pre-season went well, everything going as planned and then in the week before the first Bundesliga game two of my starting DCs get injured and the third one gets injured mid-game.
Zero other injuries for nearly two months before that, on high intensity team training. And when I lowered it to normal because of the season start and a Cup game during the week, players of the same position start getting injured.
Oh well, lost most of my motivation again.

Stubbed toe, yea right.

In create a club feature if i create my club to replace LAFC in mls will my team still go through the mls expansion

Part 2 is if I create a club and do that as mls does have Canadian teams can the mls team be a Canadian team or does it have to be a create a team from US

15 minutes ago, Fmfan00 said:

In create a club feature if i create my club to replace LAFC in mls will my team still go through the mls expansion

Part 2 is if I create a club and do that as mls does have Canadian teams can the mls team be a Canadian team or does it have to be a create a team from US

If you look at Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal, you can see they all have their country listed as the United States. Annoying, but think they do that because individual leagues don't recognize multiple countries. Same thing happens in England with Swansea.

Now, not sure if you can create a club with the Canadian-specific rules in MLS or not. May be something to check out.

18.2.1 played 40 matches. No one first half to both teams scored. No one strong-willed victory (2-1 from 0-1..3-2 from 1-2...) . The game engine is already close to the worst in the history of the engine FM 17. With real football is becoming less similar. It's unplayable. I stop the game until the next patch.

1 dakika önce, nikkk said:

18.2.1 played 40 matches. No one first half to both teams scored. No one strong-willed victory (2-1 from 0-1..3-2 from 1-2...) . The game engine is already close to the worst in the history of the engine FM 17. With real football is becoming less similar. It's unplayable. I stop the game until the next patch.

Next patch ? Or hotfix ?

ME looks better after the latest update, but it's still seems unrealistic. players movements in general are sucks, they looks like zombies with no brain or minimal intelligence and it's quiet disappointing to see. 2D classic is better in this update but again still have a lot of lags and look so bad. [poor graphics unfortunately].

one more thing that's bother me is the influence of dressing room. I feel It has huge influence on the pitch and it's not so realistic [ It's good, but it makes the game easy as hell !!! you have to find a way to balance it ].

Edited by Naor5563

On 25/12/2017 at 22:40, Naor5563 said:

ME looks better after the latest update, but it's still seems unrealistic. players movements in general are sucks, they looks like zombies with no brain or minimal intelligence and it's quiet disappointing to see. 2D classic is better in this update but again still have a lot of lags and look so bad. [poor graphics unfortunately].

one more thing that's bother me is the influence of dressing room. I feel It has huge influence on the pitch and it's not so realistic [ It's good, but it makes the game easy as hell !!! you have to find a way to balance it ].

Full backs seem constantly surprised that they have an opposition player on their outside.

cant see how people are saying how the me is playing better since the update? closing down is ridiculous !!!, ive og tit on sometimes and have 6 or 7 of my team all chasing the ball out wide leaving the opposition easy goals!!! cant seem to correct this since the update they look like crazy headless chickens following the ball around looks stupid 

If you, or the AI, are playing Overload with closing down at maximum notch, that would be perfectly reasonable to me.

Surely we could have a discussion here if just you'd provided us more informations on your (or its) style of play.

How can I build any kind of consistency when crossing is so overpowered. This has been an issue since FM 16 and is still (for me) the major issue with the ME. Don't mind conceding from crosses, but seeing defenders so easily beaten by aerially weak players is very frustrating. The fact that I feel powerless to defend against it is probaley what grinds my gears the most.

Edited by Luizinho

For me the fun of playing this game was almost gone after the 18.2 update. I keep winning, still won the Portuguese League after the update, but the game feels a lot more like FM 16 or 17, and not in the good way. First of all, it takes me 3 or 4 highlights to know that I will not win a game, no matter what I do. And it didn't happened before the update. The amount of 30 shot games against 1 opposition shot and loose increased a lot. I can't win one penalty shot decision, no matter what the opponent is. This is not about rant, I'm not loosing a lot, I just won against Atletico Madrid away, and I won last season 3-0 away against Tottenham, playing Benfica. I'm still winning, but the fun is not there. My last two games, I won 9-1 against Chaves, a good midle table team, and then, I draw 0-0, in a game that took me 4 highlights to say, I'm not winning this game. Probably this will be evaluate as a rant, but if it is a rant, is not about not winning, but this year I really thinked that I would be back playing a lot more than previous years, and I'm about to stop playing it. Because until the 18.2, game was fun, loosing or winning. Sometimes changes worked, sometimes they would be disastrous, but that's the fun of the game.Now, I see a couple of highlights and I know if I'm going to win or not..

Edited by shadster

There's a couple of graphical representations that bug me - one being players stopping the ball dead on the lines then running off the pitch so the opposing player can pick up the ball. The second is when a player is tracking alongside a wide player they suddenly stop to allow the cross. 

Edited by Swindon69

19 hours ago, Federico said:

If you, or the AI, are playing Overload with closing down at maximum notch, that would be perfectly reasonable to me.

Surely we could have a discussion here if just you'd provided us more informations on your (or its) style of play.

all you got to do is ask. closing is sometimes. formation was 4 1 2 2 1 wingers playing as support playmankers. playing counter 

21 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

this shows what i mean. look at them all running after the ball 

Screenshot (1).png

Happend to me too, several times. It's like the players have no intelligance at all ( nothing to do with attributes ).

Edited by Naor5563

• SI Staff
18 hours ago, shadster said:

First of all, it takes me 3 or 4 highlights to know that I will not win a game, no matter what I do.

I think this will be a case of confirmation bias. Each match is calculated and played out individually second by second, making a change after those first 3 or 4 highlights can completely change where the match might be going.

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

I think this will be a case of confirmation bias. Each match is calculated and played out individually second by second, making a change after those first 3 or 4 highlights can completely change where the match might be going.

It could be, I don't want so sound just another frustrated player that comes here just to complain. But when I see highliths of my players failing to make simple passes, 2 or 3 highlights of that,  or creating great chances and miss with an open goal, I know that will be a game with many mistakes in the first case and a game where I will make 30 shots and not win. Again, it can be bias, it can be the case that AI learned to play better against me, and against some tactics I can't react the right way. But after update, came back some elements I didn't like on previous versions. And it could be due to me don't have the tools necessary to react the right way. Overall I'm still doing good, on 4th season I'm still first on the league and won 5 of 5 games on Champions League group phases, but not enjoying, because as I explained, even if I'm wrong, I don't feel I have the power to change things. Other example I gave on other thread is the long shots. No matter what instructions I give to the players/team, the amount of shots that end close to the corner flag, after update increased so much..  

vor einer Stunde schrieb PJHoutman88:

WWhat's the difference between 'Discard' and 'Acknowledge' in the scouting screen? They seem to serve the exact same function. 

Discard = gone forever, Acknowledge = could be suggested again.