Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

Played some random save in these holidays, one thing that I liked before last update was that wingers/wide strikers would often play the cutback or low lateral pass to the centre-forward for the easy goal - a bit overpowered maybe but good for my anger management. After 18.2 I see most of these passes played in the air  (I use 'low crosses' btw) and usually towards far post, where the opposite winger/wide striker would try to finish from difficult angles. Tough to watch sometimes, disappointing to see this back after FM16.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/12/2017 at 18:38, Luizinho said:

How can I build any kind of consistency when crossing is so overpowered. This has been an issue since FM 16 and is still (for me) the major issue with the ME. Don't mind conceding from crosses, but seeing defenders so easily beaten by aerially weak players is very frustrating. The fact that I feel powerless to defend against it is probaley what grinds my gears the most.

100% this. Was loving FM18, largely owing tothe return of key passes/assists from creative midfield/playmaker types and was playing some lovely football. Ever since the latest patch, it's the return of attack-duty full-backs as the primary source of creativity. So, so numbingly boring.

Also, has anybody else found that finishing is utterly, abjectly atrocious since the latest patch? I'm in my 4th season at Lazio and have a pretty much as good a team as i've ever had on any FM and whilst i'm still winning, it's becoming a grind with lots and lots of narrow wins/frustrating goalless draws (largely owing to appalingly profligate finishing) whereas previously, there was a pleasing smattering of relatively high-scoring victories.

Finishing has been a massive bug-bear of mine in FM for a couple of years now; it did seem fine in FM18 but seems to have taken a massive backward step now.

14 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

100% this. Was loving FM18, largely owing tothe return of key passes/assists from creative midfield/playmaker types and was playing some lovely football. Ever since the latest patch, it's the return of attack-duty full-backs as the primary source of creativity. So, so numbingly boring.

Also, has anybody else found that finishing is utterly, abjectly atrocious since the latest patch? I'm in my 4th season at Lazio and have a pretty much as good a team as i've ever had on any FM and whilst i'm still winning, it's becoming a grind with lots and lots of narrow wins/frustrating goalless draws (largely owing to appalingly profligate finishing) whereas previously, there was a pleasing smattering of relatively high-scoring victories.

Finishing has been a massive bug-bear of mine in FM for a couple of years now; it did seem fine in FM18 but seems to have taken a massive backward step now.

Further to this, possible cause of the finishing/lack of midfield creativity issue is that playmaker type roles seem to have become massively shot-happy post-patch when there are plenty of passing options available.

I habitually have 'shoot less often' set in PI (which is hard-coded for most playmaker roles anyway) and 'work ball into box' in TI and whilst these have always been ignored to an extent, it's bordering on the ridiculous post-patch.

Not too savvy at giving examples but as a staritng point, look at the assist types difference pre and post-patch:

So this is post-patch, 'cross' comfortably the most productive, with 'through ball' falling off a cliff. Very one-dimensional.

assists2.thumb.png.3f86e0860a03691cfa9c2cd5fdb23a13.png

Whereas previously, the roles were reversed.

assists.thumb.png.0787c6d5774088487f951ae2b4cb8276.png

Obviously the 2nd screenshot is skewed by the figures in the top screenshot but still shows more variety. By and large, i've used the below tactic throughout, with tweaks to mentality and team shape so can't see why such a difference in approach has been noted post-patch.:

lazio.thumb.png.cbfa45a1010529331de0c743d49e08c0.png

Lastly, of course, teams defend pretty deep against me as a rule but they've been doing that for at least 18 months, not only in the past 10 games.

Edited by fidelitywars
additional comment

I have an issue with FM18. Its testing my self-control.

With some saves, I like to use the Add Players to Active Clubs option so you get some first-day newgens. Sometimes I can resist the temptation to use a scouting tool to find some. Sometimes I can't. The first problem is that FM18 seems to generate a lot of first-day newgens of quality. More than FM17, although I haven't gone back to really verify that. Particularly the lower level clubs of some bigger nations tend to get quite a few newgens if the top division is active. Portugal, Spain, Germany, Mexico... Now newgens are a lot harder to sign on FM18 since they won't move after just signing a contract (realistic), but found a bit of a workaround on that, which only works sometimes and compensation has increased, so not always workable. But players on amateur contracts will still move, typically for no compensation. Its always been the case with developmental clubs in the United States (where young players can't be on pro deals or they will be ineligible for college athletics later in life), but there are some in Portugal and Spain as well that will be on amateur contracts.

And there can be so many! And so many good ones! One recent save had a 16 year old Paraguyan centre back with a starting CA of something like 118 - that's basically a Championship level central defender at that age, and with 5 star potential to grow into. Just poaching from Spain and Portugal, I could probably sign an entire squad of 16-17 year old newgens with PA above 150, zero compensation. Maybe even above 160 PA. But signing 10 or 15 of these players is massive overkill, even if their potential is massive. Especially if they have less than ideal personalities and I don't have tutors. Or worse, have to worry about foreign player restrictions. I need to pick a couple of those newgens at most, that fit the tactical approach and preferably have the right personality. Or better yet, stop looking at the PAs and make my scouts do the work. But having a couple of those great high-potential newgens makes for a really fun save for me typically, so its a battle.

Grrr FM18.... testing my self control with too many newgens....

wiah si would learn from feebback in the forums ieu to keep their fans updated about whats happening as we need another patch to repair the damage done by 2.1. fullbacks are crazy, i0 have played the same fixture now against arsenal about 10 times losing every time because they are playing high wing backs and wingers they just dominate and every cross is a goal. in theory this tactic would never work as they only have 2 in the middle and 3 defenders but every highlight is of them. and their wingbacks are playing as wingers really they are nevre in defence always on the edge of my box. i man mark i sit deep i go high i close down i dont close nothing works as they wingbacks and crossing wors for the ai everytime. si should keep  us posted of how they are doing and what they are working on etc. normally by xmas we have a working gane but this year still its not working properly and now we are nearly in 2018

My first thoughts.

Penalties seem a bit off to me to since update. Iv been awarded 5 in 6 games, and Kane has had 4 saved.

Feels like im playing set piece manager more than football manager but just part and parcel i guess?

Noticed CMs scoring a bit more. Ali had 1 in 10 before patch but now has 8 in 20, Eriksen and Dembele score more too.

ATT FBs seem way to important, but maybe down to certain tactics.

Tactics seem like a bit of a minefield, even for someone who knows there way around a tactic a little. Found myself in recent fms using tactics the game wants me to use to win, rather that tactics i want to use.....if that makes any sense. For instance FBs attacking is not something tactically i would usually use, but seem very important to a winning tactic in this fm,or update IMO

Bad back passes from CBs to GKs, are rife, some are closer to the corner flag? And its in every game. Surley a problem there?

Not the worst update iv had but still a few tweaks needed imo

A minor issue: my FM is updated with 18.2.1 version, but I have no 1820 (or 1821) folder in programsx86/steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2018/data/ 

Also, in previous editions inside the data folder, there was a db folder with the several updates, but now I have a database folder and inside this on the db folder with the 1800 and 1810 folders.

Something is not right here, correct ? Some help, please.

Gerade eben schrieb pedrosantos:

A minor issue: my FM is updated with 18.2.1 version, but I have no 1820 (or 1821) folder in programsx86/steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2018/data/ 

Also, in previous editions inside the data folder, there was a db folder with the several updates, but now I have a database folder and inside this on the db folder with the 1800 and 1810 folders.

Something is not right here, correct ? Some help, please.

That's because there was no data update, just a game update. Everything is right.

vor 1 Minute schrieb pedrosantos:

Thank you Kubi

Even the new database folder ? I'm asking because my .......... stopped working since the 18.2 update. Should I create a new folder ?

Just install/copy the files again.

Well, where do I start. For starters I really regret paying 40 some pounds for this broken game. The things that annoys me the most are as following:

Game skin is totally useless.

In game engine is 110% broken

The game constantly looks for an opportunity to make my FM life suck big time.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to play even 1 single match without micromanaging now. Why can`t the SI make a version for the players, who dont like the Benitez detail-oriented managing style?? Why do I have to constantly look for things to adapt in game in order not to concede a stupid goal ? Cant they just make FM-classic? Like before?

You have to adapt and keep your tactics dynamic every 2-3 games tops in order not to get crushed by the AI.

The players are making waaaay too many STUPID mistakes like backing off the ball for some strange reason, so that opposition player can easily snatch the ball in a 90-10% challange.. Goalies doing stupid s***.. Plenty more frustrating stuff..

The whole engine looks fiasco, if the dudes in SI really tried to make the game more realistic, they are moving forward backwards, because this game in no longer a simulator, it is a disgrace.. 

Absolutely nothing to like about it.

I constantly sit with a feeling that this years version is made to **** off the players intentionally and to reduce the FM- fan base...

I want my money back.

1 minute ago, kireel said:

Well, where do I start. For starters I really regret paying 40 some pounds for this broken game. The things that annoys me the most are as following:

Game skin is totally useless.

In game engine is 110% broken

The game constantly looks for an opportunity to make my FM life suck big time.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to play even 1 single match without micromanaging now. Why can`t the SI make a version for the players, who dont like the Benitez detail-oriented managing style?? Why do I have to constantly look for things to adapt in game in order not to concede a stupid goal ? Cant they just make FM-classic? Like before?

You have to adapt and keep your tactics dynamic every 2-3 games tops in order not to get crushed by the AI.

The players are making waaaay too many STUPID mistakes like backing off the ball for some strange reason, so that opposition player can easily snatch the ball in a 90-10% challange.. Goalies doing stupid s***.. Plenty more frustrating stuff..

The whole engine looks fiasco, if the dudes in SI really tried to make the game more realistic, they are moving forward backwards, because this game in no longer a simulator, it is a disgrace.. 

Absolutely nothing to like about it.

I constantly sit with a feeling that this years version is made to **** off the players intentionally and to reduce the FM- fan base...

I want my money back.

How exactly can something be "110% broken"?

And what makes you think that SI are actively trying to reduce the fan-base?  That's certainly a new one.

6 minutes ago, forameuss said:

How exactly can something be "110% broken"?

Well, sorry not to exaggerate  well enough to make a point. Let me try again, 

The In game engine is 200%  broken..

Hope that sorted out any misunderstandings   )))                                         

Edited by kireel

Well, sorry not to exaggerate  well enough to make a point. Let me try again, 

The In game engine is 200%  broken..

Well hope that sorted out any misunderstandings   )))                                         

Well, not really.  I did ask how exactly that could be, giving you the opportunity to put forward your points as actual feedback, but I see you'd rather be...that.  Well done.

12 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Well, not really.  I did ask how exactly that could be, giving you the opportunity to put forward your points as actual feedback, but I see you'd rather be...that.  Well done.

I thought I mentioned some of the problems in the first comment? My bad.

How am I supposed to play the game, to enjoy the plain simplicity of managing a team when I have to take into consideration 4 billion details prior to the match, in-match and afterwords? Where is the fun in that for those of us who're not supermanagers? I do get the realism- argument, but come on.

My biggest problem is as following

Some times it feels like you have to use certain styles of play and change your team shape in order to have any chance to score at all against  AI.. And sometimes some systems are 100% deadly against mine, no matter how I counter them. Why cant I go a whole season without having to change my tactic, team shape, mentality etc 3 00000 times ??? 

Edited by kireel

Just now, kireel said:

I thought I mentioned some of the problems in the first comment? My bad.

How am I supposed to play the game, to enjoy the plain simplicity of managing a team when I have to take into consideration 4 billion details prior to the match, in-match and afterwords? Where is the fun in that for those of us who're not supermanagers? I do get the realism- argument, but come on.

My biggest problem is as following

Some times it feels like you have to use certain styles of play and change your team shape in order to have any chance to score at all against  AI.. And sometimes some systems are 100% deadly against the others. Why cant I go a whole season without having to change my tactic, team shape, mentality etc 3 00000 times ??? 

You didn't mention anything that points to anything being broken, which is why I picked up on that particularly,

The rest of what you say just isn't true.  I've stuck to one formation, mostly auto-picking teams with only slight rotation, and I got up to Serie A in consecutive seasons from Serie D (with one additional in the second tier).  If you've got problems, that's fair enough, but throwing out wild hyperbole doesn't really help your point and just makes it seem ridiculous.

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

You didn't mention anything that points to anything being broken, which is why I picked up on that particularly,

The rest of what you say just isn't true.  I've stuck to one formation, mostly auto-picking teams with only slight rotation, and I got up to Serie A in consecutive seasons from Serie D (with one additional in the second tier).  If you've got problems, that's fair enough, but throwing out wild hyperbole doesn't really help your point and just makes it seem ridiculous.

Well if you truly believe that I am the only one to pinpoint those problems, good luck...

15 hours ago, kireel said:

Well if you truly believe that I am the only one to pinpoint those problems, good luck...

I get that posts like the above are unlikely to go down well with the moderators etc on these boards but I really do understand the frustration which leads to such outbursts. The ME following the latest patch is very, very cross/width orientated and for those of us that don't want to play that way, it's utterly infuriated. As has been said, finishing seems off, especially from range, it seems far too easy to just defend deep and the on-ball decision making of supposedly clever, technical creators now leaves a lot to be desired.

For me, the key frustration in all of this was that the ME seemed far more varied and enjoyable prior to the patch than it has been in years and in essence, the latest release seems to have fundamentally changed the game to the point where it's a challenged to ween even the vaguest slither of enjoyment from it.

As i've said, I do hope that SI are investigating (or at least will investigate after the xmas/NY lull) rather than seeing these complaints and dismissing them as tactical issues/a minority of disgruntled users as it really, really does seem to me that the game has gone backwards post-patch. 

34 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

I get that posts like the above are unlikely to go down well with the moderators etc on these boards but I really do understand the frustration which leads to such outbursts. The ME following the latest patch is very, very cross/width orientated and for those of us that don't want to play that way, it's utterly infuriated. As has been said, finishing seems off, especially from range, it seems far too easy to just defend deep and the on-ball decision making of supposedly clever, technical creators now leaves a lot to be desired.

For me, the key frustration in all of this was that the ME seemed far more varied and enjoyable prior to the patch than it has been in years and in essence, the latest release seems to have fundamentally changed the game to the point where it's a challenged to ween even the vaguest slither of enjoyment from it.

As i've said, I do hope that SI are investigating (or at least will investigate after the xmas/NY lull) rather than seeing these complaints and dismissing them as tactical issues/a minority of disgruntled users as it really, really does seem to me that the game has gone backwards post-patch. 

The match Engine is totally destroyed.. I mean. I do ALL THE THINGS RIGHT pre-match and in-game. I set all the best players in their best roles, I play on my teams strength, I keep my players happy with superb morale all over. I implement some changes in order to exploit my opponents weaknesses. I do the OI In game, I make players happy with team talk, I train my team accordingly to my next opponent, I put all the best players in their best set piece-roles and I even take the weather into consideration. And I still end up losing for 18th placed team at home, even though I totally trash their box with chances..  This is just unrealistically ridiculous. I mean, what else can be expected of me as a manager? Do I actually have to be Manager: level Jesus to win a match or what?  

2 minutes ago, kireel said:

I set all the best players in their best roles, I play on my teams strength,

Hopefully you're still keeping the overall tactic in mind, which is more important. "All the right things" is all fine and well, but not all plans work out. Your plans take into consideration pre-match, but what about taking into account what actually happens in a match? Things don't always work, so a change or two may be needed.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Hopefully you're still keeping the overall tactic in mind, which is more important. "All the right things" is all fine and well, but not all plans work out. Your plans take into consideration pre-match, but what about taking into account what actually happens in a match? Things don't always work, so a change or two may be needed.

That is exactly my problem with the game. I have to make wrong decisions in order for them to be right? That doesn't even make any sense.. Why do we have colors on player roles and team strengths and weaknesses-bars if they are useless??? I don`t want to micromanage in-game, it is not why I bought this game. I do not enjoy making drastic changes that would never ever work in RL only to kick the feet under my opponent, comprende hombre? 

That is exactly my problem with the game. I have to make wrong decisions in order for them to be right? That doesn't even make any sense.. Why do we have colors on player roles and team strengths and weaknesses-bars if they are useless??? I don`t want to micromanage in-game, it is not why I bought this game. I do not enjoy making drastic changes that would never ever work in RL only to kick the feet under my opponent, comprende hombre? 

Setting up a proper tactic isn't a wrong decision at all. I was obviously not talking about micromanaging anything - just that the overall tactic needs to be accounted for when choosing roles and duties etc.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

Setting up a proper tactic isn't a wrong decision at all. I was obviously not talking about micromanaging anything - just that the overall tactic needs to be accounted for when choosing roles and duties etc.

Yeah well, I don`t really know how this is any wrong at all against weaker teams...

image.thumb.png.3c21e1e7f201ac7f80ebfab823c078a4.png

Just now, kireel said:

Yeah well, I don`t really know how this is any wrong at all against weaker teams...

image.thumb.png.3c21e1e7f201ac7f80ebfab823c078a4.png

No idea, since it's not in English. If it's the same tactic as in your other thread, then your own analysis screen shows the issue - behind the midfielders there's a weakness as no one is protecting the critical area in front of the defence.

You also have an enormous amount of TIs, which is always worrying as everytime someone posts something like this, they ruined a tactic more than they helped it. It's not English, so I don't know what you have selected though and can't comment.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

No idea, since it's not in English. If it's the same tactic as in your other thread, then your own analysis screen shows the issue - behind the midfielders there's a weakness as no one is protecting the critical area in front of the defence.

You also have an enormous amount of TIs, which is always worrying as everytime someone posts something like this, they ruined a tactic more than they helped it. It's not English, so I don't know what you have selected though and can't comment.

Man, I do know how TI work, because until this years version I NEVER had problems with my tactics....

36 minutes ago, kireel said:

The color is 99% irrelevant, role suitability is just a very broad and super generic guide about what role suits the player theoretically, in isolation and with absolutely no relevance put on wider tactics. By your logic you could put 11 goalkeepers on the goal, they would all be full green so that should be perfect tactics. You are so utterly, completely and incredibly wrong in your approach. Your tactics looks like a random jumble of incompatible roles. Carrileros are generally used in systems that dont have any "naturally" wide players, so it is kinda not suitable for tactics that has a winger and a full back on that side. No defensive roles in midfield mean that you have no cover for defence and are therefore easily caught on the break, and you have no midfielder that stays a bit back, therefore providing a passing outlet to stretch out teams that park the bus. And who knows what else problems are there that can't be spotted because it is not in english. 

Ignore role suitability, it has absolutely no influence on performance of players. Give your players roles that work together to create a meaningfull and cohesive apporach on the field. 

Two things I need help with:

- How do I bypass the tactic screen with the game running in the background, and go directly into the proper tactics screen?

- When searching for players, how do I turn off the filters being activated immediately (if I want to search for a british >25 year old GK, it goes: british - wait while searching - > 25 yo - wait while searching - GK - wait while searching). Is there a way for me to add all the criterias first before the search taking place?  

I'm a little concerned about the game being a bit easy in some instances. I play as Charlton and have managed two straight promotions - the last one was a bit worrying since my players really weren't very good. I really didn't do much tactics optimization either - just a sensible 4-4-1-1 and no corner exploits. Despite the fact that half of my first team are league one level players I easily dominated teams like Leicester who still had Premier League level players. 

1 hour ago, Thengil said:

I'm a little concerned about the game being a bit easy in some instances. I play as Charlton and have managed two straight promotions - the last one was a bit worrying since my players really weren't very good. I really didn't do much tactics optimization either - just a sensible 4-4-1-1 and no corner exploits. Despite the fact that half of my first team are league one level players I easily dominated teams like Leicester who still had Premier League level players. 

Whereas I struggled massively with a variety of sides.

This is ridiculous.

I finished my first season with Schalke.
Second place, 15mil€ incoming transfers, 48.5mil€ earned from transfers.

Overall balance in July is 127mil€.
And my out transfer to budget revenue is 35% and I can't change it.
Spent 36.5mil€ with 28mil€ outgoing so far, while lowering overall wages and I only have 10mil€ left for transfers.

So since the start of the save, I'm 25mil€ positive on the transfer bill, I have 127mil€ in the bank and I can't raise the revenue any higher from 35%?
With only 10mil€ left in the transfer budget, 19man squad and upcoming Champions League, I don't think this is going to work.

Has anyone noticed the utter chaos that can happen in the last few minutes of games.Passing seems to be really iffy with a lot of interceptions and a loss of composure where my players and the AI hit balls into nowhere even though I have  possession based shouts.

then we have the where they are cler and they have the shot. which i cant upload for some reason so thats aa pain grrrrr. but basically the full backs stop and just let the wingers loose. my central defender stands up the pitch on the half way line and erm stops and doeesnt really do anything and then they have 3 playerss in the clear in the goal mouth. come si release something that is a little bit like football at the least. centre backs go walkabout too much. full back just have their heads in the cloud half the time forever losing their opposing players. too many inuries. too many penalties. 

also they scored a goal where the goal was offise its unreal and it was given cant upload grrrrr

Not sure what part of the bugs forum this should go? I just made an offer for Lewis Cook of Bournemouth,yet at the bottom of the news article it says he may not be at Vicarage Road for much longer, that's Watford??

fN9zW6a.jpg?1