FM Wonderkid to Real Life Obscurity

Ok guys with the upcoming release of FM14 i've finally decided to start a post about the various FM Wonderkids from down the years that had the FM Community raving and who were destined for big things but for one reason or another failed to live up to the hype.

I'll get us started but please feel free to add your own and we'll see how many we can name.

Freddy Adu

Nicolas Millan

Sherman Cardenas

Daniel Aquino

Keirrison

Federico Fazio

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it has already been done, so let's reverse it... players who were absolute garbage on FM but became world beaters IRL!!

Wayne Rooney (CM 01/02)

Probably by that time youth research wasn't enough. Today I believe there is more investment on youth research. For example Portuguese player like Bruma and João Cancelo already have good potential on FM 2013, until now they completely unknown.

I don't know if William Carvalho is already seen as good potential player, he's being the surprise of this season Primeira Liga. Yesterday he had a great performance on U21 match against Norway. At least on FM2014 I think he will have a strong potential.

Ah sorry didn't realise that this had been done before.

The reason i put Fazio on the list is the same as why i'd put Davide Santon on the list.

Both have done well with their careers with Sevilla and Newcastle but with both they could and usually did end up as absolute gods on my games ending up at Madrid, Barca, Man Utd or Bayern if i didnt snap them up.

Surely Cherno Samba is the godfather of this subject

Cherno Samba was always amazing.

Serge Makofo and Andreij Sigporsson from the same era, might even have still been champ man in those days. Just done a search and it was CM4 lol, how sad.

Maxim Tsigalko - injuries got to him and he's doing some house repairs in Minsk right now after retiring

Andri Sigthórsson - injuries again, retired at 27 while in Molde, currently an entrepreneur

Emil Debski - great 16-year-old in CM 01/02, IRL retired, then starred in Danish "Survivor" and has become a successful businessman

Marcin Harasimowicz - Polish god in CM 01/02, IRL never made it, now a foreign correspondent for one of the newspapers in the USA

Orri Freyr Oskarsson - never made it big, changed his name and got lost in the abyss of domestic league

Gianluca (Giovanni?) Anelli - CM 94/95 Italia wonderkid from Serie C, never made it IRL

A bit harsh.

He's not exactly a world beater but he's a regular for Elche in La Liga, so he's obviously not a bad player.

Never said he was a bad player, but you can hardly say he fulfilled the potential he had in the game a couple of years ago

I remember cm93/94 I was messing around picking the starting elevel based on who had the highest morale. So Erik Nevland had higher morale than cantona or cole so I start him and scores 3-4 goals. I think I won the league with Nevland a first teamer. In reality Nevland never made an impact in united.

The reason i put Fazio on the list is the same as why i'd put Davide Santon on the list.

Both have done well with their careers with Sevilla and Newcastle but with both they could and usually did end up as absolute gods on my games ending up at Madrid, Barca, Man Utd or Bayern if i didnt snap them up.

Christ. If the criteria for a player to be "Real Life Obscurity" is that he never/has yet play for "Madrid, Barca, Man Utd or Bayern", then the list would include most players in the world.

Lebohang Mokoena, Benedict Vilakazi (or something like that), Aaron Niguez, Freddy Adu, Kerlon, Evandro Roncatto, Cavenaghi, Nicolae Mitea, Vanden Borre,

These used to be the first players I'd try and sign whenever I started a save in between FM's 05-09. Especially Mokoena - I remember a save with Juventus I think in around 06/07 time, he was absolutely fantastic for me.

Kennedy Bakircioglu needs a mention here! So too Stefan Ishizaki and a whole host of overrated Swedes from the CM3 era. Mads Timm (though I suppose SI couldn't really anticipate him ending up in jail!). Stephen Schumacher and Michael Symes were amazing form me on CM4. Henri Saivet more recently. An absolute must sign on FM10 if I recall correctly. There was a young Brazilian called Eduardo I seem to remember from FM08/09 and FML who vanished without a trace quite quickly despite uber-wunderkind status.

Cavenaghi is the least failure here.

Look at these honours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Cavenaghi#Honours

Won trophies in 3 different countries.

Just as he is not at a great club now.....it would be like saying Henry is a failure. As he is at a club in a poorer standard of league.

And anyone else who said Santon or Fazio, needs to look up the word obscuirty! Playing in front of tens of thousands of fans every week is obscurity huh?

Anatoli Todorov of Litex Lovech was an absolute god in CM 03/04.

An out of date Wiki page says that he was playing in the Bulgarian second tier a couple of years ago :(

Ah, Todorov :applause: I always sign him when i play as any team in CM03/04 without fail and he was truly legendary. His outrageous 20 dribbling and 20 shooting was a beast wherever he went. Almost always end up as my club's highest record goalscorer as he destroys the opponent's team for fun left and right in my long term saves back in the day.

I also fondly remember a certain wonderkid player simply known as 'JR' originally playing in a certain norwegian club in that CM 03/04 version. If anyone knows who that JR is please refresh my memory as i can't seem to remember his full name and the club that he played for back in the day.

Ah, Todorov :applause: I always sign him when i play as any team in CM03/04 without fail and he was truly legendary. His outrageous 20 dribbling and 20 shooting was a beast wherever he went. Almost always end up as my club's highest record goalscorer as he destroys the opponent's team for fun left and right in my long term saves back in the day.

I also fondly remember a certain wonderkid player simply known as 'JR' originally playing in a certain norwegian club in that CM 03/04 version. If anyone knows who that JR is please refresh my memory as i can't seem to remember his full name and the club that he played for back in the day.

JR aka Jan Morten Arnesen form Sparta Sarsporg! Ah my favourite CM/FM team ever...

Kennedy Bakircioglu needs a mention here! So too Stefan Ishizaki and a whole host of overrated Swedes from the CM3 era. Mads Timm (though I suppose SI couldn't really anticipate him ending up in jail!). Stephen Schumacher and Michael Symes were amazing form me on CM4. Henri Saivet more recently. An absolute must sign on FM10 if I recall correctly. There was a young Brazilian called Eduardo I seem to remember from FM08/09 and FML who vanished without a trace quite quickly despite uber-wunderkind status.

What Version of the game had Rushden and Diamonds with a Sugar daddy owner. I remember taking R&D to the premier league and buying all the Swedish players like Kennedy and Ericsson(?). I think I had about 8 swedes in my starting eleven

Archived