Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

6 hours ago, kazik said:

How am I able to sign Helmut Jungheim as my coach for measly 39k/year? As Lech Poznan? As the first thing in my save? I will keep coming back, after every update, to see if the realism has been fixed. I don't think I will ever be able to start a long term save.

jungheim.png

FM is a game that's supposed to be fun and not IRL Football Simulator.

I don't understand why people complain about the large amount of goals scored and now it's "fixed". It's a game, it's supposed to be fun to beat R. Madrid 5-0. What's the fun in all games ending 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 1-0, 2-1?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
14 hours ago, Deano565 said:

Can anyone confirm if the high number of goalkeeper injuries during games has been resolved? 

Cant see it on the change list. I know it’s “including but not limited to”, but this was a major one so I’m a bit worried about its omission. 

The fix for Goalkeeper injuries went into Minor Update 1 and has been in game for a while now 

11 hours ago, autohoratio said:

Am I doing something wrong with my set piece defending (it's never been something I'm particularly good at) or is this a bug? Four defenders assigned to two attackers on the (camera's) left, only one defender on the right left to deal with two attackers. Inevitably the unmarked attacker scores a free header. 

My Wide Free Kick defending setup:

The defender at the far post (Jóhannsson) was set to A3 so I'm not sure what exactly happened here.
image.png.3f07ffe84bb246077941f374ef1e9bbb.png

image.png.f8be70ba353c1c64f5f2e661cc8d6ad2.png

Having all your players on go back is a bad idea. I would suggest you just stick to what your staff created unless they did this then it needs changing 

2 hours ago, Muja said:

I'm sure that goals in Premier League are correct, and everywhere else are not, because you're only simulating the Premier with full detail.
Leaving aside the realism of simulated data with QME, I would advise everyone to simulate as many leagues as possible in full detail - it makes long-term saves more realistic and engaging.

With full details German, French and Scottish too. So are missing about 200-200 goals German and French. Scottish overplus 10%. and lots of yellow cards are missing. But another test run with more leagues. 

9 hours ago, akkm said:

Reality though is they also still create. Maddison and Bruno from your own examples are top and joint 2nd in the premiership this season for key passes per game at 2.8pg and 2.7pg...alvarez is ranked 9th at 2.3pg. Then nkunku at rbl had 40 assists. Bellingham key passes is 1.6pg and 49passes per game, Maddison is averaging 44.5ppg, bruno 54.2ppg, Pacqueta at west ham has 1.3 key pass pg and 50 ppg this year.

So they're still involved in build up play and creatively where this isn't done so well in FM.

The thing is simeone can say this all he wants but it's folly. The likes of ronaldo, benzema, lewandowski, ibrahimovic, quagliarella all experienced increases in their scoring rates after the age of 30 which indicates it became easier to score as their career's went on implying defending has got worse. Good defenders from the past would find it very easy playing these days.

Just take thiago silva at chelsea...he's 39...I saw him struggle a lot more in his mid 20s prior to 2014 than I have seen him in recent years. Couple of instances this year where he's made mistakes but prior years at chelsea he's glided through many games and he looks a better defender in his late 30s than he did in his late 20s...so any suggestion of simeone re 2014 defenders not being able to cope with the speed and complexity of the game these days is complete and utter nonsense and removed from reality. Thiago silva provides us with evidence of that...he's finding it easier these days.

Maddison has been a great example of a creative attacking midfielder this season...sure teams can attempt to block space centrally but that just implies they be more mobile as maddison has done this year. These players just need to move more into pockets of space to move and create from there. Again these type of players from the past would be fine these days. Take messi...he hasn't found it that difficult to create and score in his advancing years...that despite an assumption the game is faster and these positions are easily taken out of the game these days. Messi provides real world evidence to the contrary.

FM simply isn't simulating creative positions and creativity overall as well as they should in the attacking third of the pitch

Maddison doesn't play in the hole he attacks the half space and plays similar role to a De Bruyne, watch the full match of Spurs and see it, you almost never see him staying centrally in between lines, he either drop deep to recieve the ball or attack the half space like De Bruyne does but nothing like Ozil nothing zero like it, i agree with you Simeone didn't say about the players more about the whole preparation and system the players ofc would shine today but football has changed alot in preparation, i mean even in 2000s defending is a meme in terms of organization i always when i watch matches see huge spaces every frame in the match and so poor organized stuff it looks like some amateurish organization bailed by world class defenders which i always thought those defenders in the past would be much better today and vice versa for strikers, it shows how much video analysis and coaching today has upped the level of the game

11 hours ago, makavali said:

I'm pretty sure that the majority of us watch the highlights. I find it hard to believe that you love football/this game so much that you watch an extensive amount of highlights, but the ridiculous amount of goals scored was not bothering you. 

What's the point in seeing beautiful buildup if it happens 5 times a half and the game ends 4-4. Personally, I think that we should be thankful that a major update arrived way earlier than anticipated and a lot of complaints have been addressed. Keep providing feedback instead of your emotions and I'm sure that we will get more tweaks and updates along the way. 

Saying 'Well done SI, you ruined the game' 6 hours after the update has been released is wild. 

Call me old fashioned but I'd have preferred, like it used to be, when a game is released it's released fully complete and not in need of constant patches. Remember this is the most complete edition ever so surely no patches should've been needed post release.

4 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Call me old fashioned but I'd have preferred, like it used to be, when a game is released it's released fully complete and not in need of constant patches. Remember this is the most complete edition ever so surely no patches should've been needed post release.

Sure, but I think it's fair to criticize when needed and give credit where it's due. I'm disappointed with the release, but I'm also happy and thankful for the quickly delivered patch. 

After the update, there are very serious bugs!
Almost all the national team players have lost their club cultivate. After testing, in addition to the English and Italian players who performed normally, the English players all made performance errors and became part of the 0-19 youth team. But signing up for the Champions League is normal.

QQ20231201171127.thumb.png.0f15a31597006ad63b726825a14640bd.png

QQ20231201171148.thumb.png.4ac707e2bc97bc18d6ed813a6775a331.png

QQ20231201172022.thumb.png.6ad57a244c0e9334a8120479bd1a9a72.png

QQ20231201172046.thumb.png.3d73d13a0b605e82a538eb4fabd2233d.png

Edited by w44643233

Just now, makavali said:

Football Manager, by definition, is a simulator and meant to resemble real life. If you like high score lines, you can either switch to FIFA or play a maxed out tempo gegenpress with 0 defensive duties. Those high scorelines were present in all saves and using any tactic or team, so it's not even a debate that they should've been fixed as quickly as possible. 

I was going to say, if it's not a "simulator" can we get rid of 90% of the admin the game frequently forces upon you?!

@Jack Joyce Is what is possible in matches/the match engine relative only to the players in that match or the full range of ability from 1-200? In other words, will there be a tangible difference in the football displayed in League 2 vs a Champions League final assuming tactics and everything other than players' relative skill is the same?

It's a bit of a legend that you can't use certain tactics and have to play differently in lower league management than in the Premier League, but I can't say I'm noticing a difference in FM24 so curious if this is accurate or not, and if so where one would notice it the most.

I dont know what has changed, but the 2nd half of all my matches are completely dead. Played 11 matches last night on stream with the new patch, 17 goals scored in 1st half, only 5 goals scored in 2nd half. 9 goals conceded in 1st half, 4 goals conceded in 2nd half. I dont know if its the different AI team selection or AI subs/tactical changes during a match or something to do with the half time team talks fix, or a combination of all of them, OR even something unlisted, but something is VERY different. Ill have to even go as far as counting shots attempted by both sides for each half, because there is a HUGE drop off in 2nd half, and its inexplicable, even when subbing on my star players after resting them in initial selection. If im not winning by half time, i wont win the match, I was completely baffled on stream last night!

Okay, so after a lot of time venting disappointments and placing bug reports, it seems only fair now to also speak my positive thoughts. 

While there is still room for improvement and more fixes, at least the game now doesn’t feel game-breaking anymore, to me personally that is. 

They have dropped the ball around the release this year, but I’m actually pleased that the december fix came early and starting the longterm save is good to go now. 

Complaining is easy, but a compliment for the fixes is also in place now. (although i feel a lot of people in here will still not agree with me on this one)

Just keep it up now SI and maintain the high standards of this great simulation game please 👍🏻

2 hours ago, avenger22 said:

Maddison doesn't play in the hole he attacks the half space and plays similar role to a De Bruyne, watch the full match of Spurs and see it, you almost never see him staying centrally in between lines, he either drop deep to recieve the ball or attack the half space like De Bruyne does but nothing like Ozil nothing zero like it, i agree with you Simeone didn't say about the players more about the whole preparation and system the players ofc would shine today but football has changed alot in preparation, i mean even in 2000s defending is a meme in terms of organization i always when i watch matches see huge spaces every frame in the match and so poor organized stuff it looks like some amateurish organization bailed by world class defenders which i always thought those defenders in the past would be much better today and vice versa for strikers, it shows how much video analysis and coaching today has upped the level of the game

Yip...agree re movement of maddison and de bruyne which is what I was alluding to as well.

I think that should be reflected in FM. Have that nominal AMC or even call it the #10 role but have the movement so much richer where its always moving into spaces to receive the ball and use its skillset to create or dribble or whatever then from there

Im really disapointed with SI this year....

Just started a new Save because I thought the fixes would be in this new patch, so as I do every year, Ive created a save in Portugal managing Benfica. In the first league match of the season, Sporting, one of the contendors to win the title just lost 3-4 at home against Moreirense, a team that just went from the second division. I checked the match to see how this was even possible ( despite it can happen irl, its really something unusual ) and what i found was that the "Better AI team selection" advertised with the new patch is just bullsh..... Im sorry but I have to say it like that.

image.thumb.png.9652877e0d2a55674db8debb9cc38fcf.png

As you can see, there are many players missing from the team selection in Sporting squad page. Why? Because AI decided to call youth players from the u23 team, leaving players like Pedro Gonçaves, Gyokeres, Sebastian Coates, Paulinho and Morita out of the match. Those are key players for Sporting, not just IRL but in FM too since they are some of the best players in theyre squad. Its REALLY, REALLY amazing how bad the state of this game is in an year that was supposed to be the most complete version, with headline features like AI squad building and team selection being advertised before the release date.

This kind of AI team selection decisions would only be understandeble if they had another match two days after this one,  but guess what?? They are just playing again in the next saturday, so AI was not rotating the team, it was just a case of AI poor decision making. This makes me loose any kind of joy to play FM for the first time in my life... Whats the fun to be Champion when your rivals are so bad??? Its an easy game, there is no difficult at all to beat the best teams since AI cant make decisions so simple as "Pick the best players to play and ocasionally some youths to evolve them over time". We could argue about how in real life a player may not play because so many factors, but 5 Staters not playing in the same match??? What is the excuse for something like that to happen? They are not even in the banch....

Im sorry if I may seem rude but I play this game since it was named Championship Manager, and today i really can say that this veriosn of Football Manager is the worst of all time. The only thing that is the best in years, and maybe the best of all time is the ME, its really good and like it so much. But with the current state of the AI, its impossible to have some kind of good experience playing it.

image.thumb.png.9bf017d116eb7a3ba6c1b85a8b8cf826.png

image.thumb.png.ffd3df75106ae085235b0d3dcb4e99a9.png

Edited by FASP

11 minuti fa, akkm ha scritto:

Yip...agree re movement of maddison and de bruyne which is what I was alluding to as well.

I think that should be reflected in FM. Have that nominal AMC or even call it the #10 role but have the movement so much richer where its always moving into spaces to receive the ball and use its skillset to create or dribble or whatever then from there

I agree completely.
At the moment, the central attacking midfielder just... sits there in the middle, or makes forward runs if you ask him to.
But there are zero horizontal movements, even if you give him the instructions "move into channel" and "free roam". 
Golden age Dybala was all around the pitch, he was basically everywhere, and that's what you'd expect from someone with the free roam PI.

This issue is somewhat solved by positional play since you can make him move to more lateral areas of the field where he can be more effective. But it would be great to see a lot more movement from the team's main creative player.

It hardly happens to me and how many times did the through ball happen, my players never do a through to my advanced forward maybe once in 6 matches at least

I remember in Fm23 my inside forwards were practically spamming these through balls look if the devs want to reduce the spamming I understand but don't remove giving through balls to advanced forward completely 

Edited by Itego

1 minuto atrás, wazzaflow10 disse:

You're upset because the AI used youth players in a game they were expected to beat a team handily? That's literally the definition of rotating their squad. They gambled they could give their youth some experience and it didn't pay off results wise.

What part of " first  season match " and "They are just playing again in next saturday" did you not understand? As i can see, in your opinion, it is normal for managers in real life to rotate the team in the first league match, is that right? What are they rotating for? pre-season matches? If the manager of your team, in real life did something like that, what would be your reaction? 

I never saw a manager "rotating" the team in the first league match, and I am 31yo.

What I see in real life is managers playing full streangth in the first match to start the season well, Specially, if the next match is one week after.

I'm not even mad anymore.

I just expect this to happen now on a regular basis, it doesn't seem to matter what level you're playing at.

I know this can happen in football, but not to the same team, again and again and again. 

This is how the devs want FM24 I suppose. They're going backwards.

Football Manager Screenshot 2023.12.01 - 12.38.22.47.png

Edited by The About Average Jake

4 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Having run the numbers comparing IRL to full release to the 24.2 update out yesterday, it's best to do the testing over several saves over a period of 3-5 seasons for each. You're always going to have outliers and one or two single tests over a single season isn't a big enough sample size.

On 3 separate tests each going for 5 seasons each (so 15 seasons in total) and averaged out on the latest update:
PL over by on average 43 goals a season (2.78 vs 2.86 gpg) , Bundesliga under by on average 67 goals a season, Serie A under by approx. 47 goals per season, La Liga under by approx 65 goals a season, La Liga 2 over by approx 269 goals a season (previously it was +412), Eredivise under by approx 2 goals per season, Championship over by approx 170 goals a season (previously it was +410).

image.png.6cad93de809dc0e3ff127f207df13c7a.png(GPG)

So major improvements compared to full release, and quite a nice balance. It seems the lower you go the more goals you tend to see especially over versus IRL figures. 

I wonder how much of this has to do with players at lower levels maybe having attributes that are too close to top level players rather than a ME problem, particularly attackers.  It'd be an interesting experiment to turn down every 2nd division player's technical attributes by 1 and run it again.

3 hours ago, makavali said:

Football Manager, by definition, is a simulator and meant to resemble real life. If you like high score lines, you can either switch to FIFA or play a

This kind of comment is funny to me because the same people that want to call it a simulator when it suits them are the same that will also say there should be an element of fun when it suits them.

28 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Weirdly enough just had a goal where my Amc played a great ball over the top for my advanced forward to run onto.

It's not that it doesn't happen. The problem is that it doesn't happen as often as it should. I can just pick a random game in my save and show multiple instances of players ignoring a free pass in the middle that would put a player 1v1 with the GK but they go wide instead 

27 minutos atrás, wazzaflow10 disse:

What part of this is a computer game and the AI isn't going to make the same decisions as a human 100% of the time did you not understand when you bought the game? It's following a set instructions to rotate players when certain criteria is met. If you think there's a bug, instead of calling it "the worst game ever" and having a temper tatrum, log the bug in the bug forums with details of the problem and what you think it should be.

For the past however long one of the major criticism of the game has been the AI doesn't use youth players or rotate the squad. AI rotates squad and less than 24 hours later someone complains the AI did what it was instructed and advertised to do.

If i didnt open many bugs about that I would not be here complaining about something that I think shouldnt be hapenning.

Dude, im not even continue to argue with someone that doesnt see something so obvious as you. I payed 50€ for something that was advertised with an headline feature as "better AI decision making" and I have the right to post my opinion and how I feel about the current state of the game. I feel like I was decieved by SI and i couldnt care less about what you think of my post. If you want to play and win easely, thats on you. Im not forced to have the same opinion as you and others about AI not using enough youth players. For me, it is a priority that a football simulator like FM SIMULATES what happens in real life, like it allways have done.

Im a developer so I get really well what is a computer game and a set of instructions, and again in my opinion, the set of instructions must have priorities. The first one must allways be "AI must try to win the game and pick the best players". If you want a kids footbal game, go play Fifa, im not intersted in winning championships easy just because you and others where upset that the AI didnt pick 10  youths in every match and now Im playing a youth simulator where I win the championship with no dificulty. 

You have your opinion, and i have mine, if I think ths is the worst FM of all time and if you dont like my opinion, just scroll down and praise everything in the game.

Edited by FASP

Just now, DarJ said:

It's not that it doesn't happen. The problem is that it doesn't happen as often as it should. I can just pick a random game in my save and show multiple instances of players ignoring a free pass in the middle that would put a player 1v1 with the GK but they go wide instead 

No I agree it doesn't happen a lot (or enough) which is why it was very weird that I'd literally just seen one about 5 minutes before reading that post.

It was an absolute beauty too where the defender intercepted the ball played it into the AMC who spun and lofted a ball over the top for the Advanced forward to run onto.

Might even be the ONLY goal like that I remember seeing.

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

Having all your players on go back is a bad idea. I would suggest you just stick to what your staff created unless they did this then it needs changing 

I think the Aerial Defenders and Trackers were set to Go Back by my assistant when I first set up the routines on the first day of Beta, but I can't remember 😅

I've set both Trackers and two Aerial Defenders to Player Mark now so I'll see if that works better.

I'm always one of the first to flag criticism amongst this thread of general negativity, but the last two patches and the communication around them from SI have pushed FM24 closer to being the most fun FM to date, for me personally. The "most complete edition to date" is still work in progress in my opinion as there are still a few bugs knocking around but I am really enjoying it overall. I wasn't happy with the quality at launch but I am happy since yesterday's patch.

I know we don't live in a perfect world, but I'd like to suggest to the FM developers, if they read this post, that they should come to an agreement with Sega to postpone the official release date of the game by at least one month, or extend the beta period. Half of the complaints would disappear. It feels like the game should have been released now and not on November 6th.

5 minutes ago, lightworker said:

I know we don't live in a perfect world, but I'd like to suggest to the FM developers, if they read this post, that they should come to an agreement with Sega to postpone the official release date of the game by at least one month, or extend the beta period. Half of the complaints would disappear. It feels like the game should have been released now and not on November 6th.

Which either squashes the development cycle of the next game, or returns it to a year and we get this same "problem" next time.  Or are you suggesting we just delay every edition by a month until we're getting last season's data at the end of the season?

The length of time players remain unhappy over a team talk is ridiculous.

Also, if you sell a player who wants to leave, wont renew his contract, for £150m to Saudi Arabia and who is 32 years old, players should not become unhappy. Again, ridiculous.

17 ore fa, Mitza ha scritto:

Still getting this, now during the match

squad.png

don't know if someone already answered, but you can easily fix any column screen creating two different priorities when ordering it.

Click on the first column order (position, for examples) and then SHIFT + click on the second column you want to order (role/duty, for example). 

2 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Having run the numbers comparing IRL to full release to the 24.2 update out yesterday, it's best to do the testing over several saves over a period of 3-5 seasons for each. You're always going to have outliers and one or two single tests over a single season isn't a big enough sample size.

On 3 separate tests each going for 5 seasons each (so 15 seasons in total) and averaged out on the latest update:
PL over by on average 43 goals a season (2.78 vs 2.86 gpg) , Bundesliga under by on average 67 goals a season, Serie A under by approx. 47 goals per season, La Liga under by approx 65 goals a season, La Liga 2 over by approx 269 goals a season (previously it was +412), Eredivise under by approx 2 goals per season, Championship over by approx 170 goals a season (previously it was +410).

image.png.6cad93de809dc0e3ff127f207df13c7a.png(GPG)

So major improvements compared to full release, and quite a nice balance. It seems the lower you go the more goals you tend to see especially over versus IRL figures. 

I tested 11 major leagues in the morning  (5 years with full details). The problem (where at least 150 goals are missing) is only with 2 league. France Ligue 1 and German Bundesliga 1.-2.

England Premier, Italy Serie A, Spain La Liga etc... are perfect.

France Ligue 1: IRL about 1050 goals, so missing more than 200 goals

2023/24    893
2024/25    790
2025/26    839
2026/27    831
2027/28    826

Germany Bundesliga: IRL about 950 goals, so missing 150-200 goals

2023/24    773
2024/25    713
2025/26    770
2026/27    818
2027/28    812

Edited by Cle

34 minutos atrás, forameuss disse:

Which either squashes the development cycle of the next game, or returns it to a year and we get this same "problem" next time.  Or are you suggesting we just delay every edition by a month until we're getting last season's data at the end of the season?

The beta should be extended for December, and the release date for early December. For allow the team to polish the game as much as possible before the launch. Otherwise, it might give the impression, they didn't have enough time to polish or finish the game and promising more than they could deliver.

Edited by lightworker

• SI Staff
Just now, Cle said:

I tested 11 major league in the morning  (5 years with full details). The problem (where at least 150 goals are missing) is only with 2 league. France Ligue 1 and German Bundesliga 1.-2. England Premier, Italy Serie A, Spain La Liga etc... are perfect.

France Ligue 1: IRL about 1050 goals, so missing more than 200 goals

2023/24    893
2024/25    790
2025/26    839
2026/27    831
2027/28    826

Germany Bundesliga: IRL about 950 goals, so missing 150-200 goals

2023/24    773
2024/25    713
2025/26    770
2026/27    818
2027/28    812

If it's just those two leagues then it's likely because there's something specific about teams/players in those leagues that makes them different to other leagues. We'd need to identify that really to know what to change, but it's likely a research/data thing causing it.

1 hora atrás, wazzaflow10 disse:

You went from "First of all I must tell you that this is by far the best Beta version that you have released, congrats to all team." to "Worst FM of all time". I gave you the attention you sought by mistake, apologies.

And whats wrong with that? It is a crime to change the opinion about something? 

When I started to play the beta version, there were so many issues I didnt notice that later came up in my save that i qualify as a game breaking experience. Whats wrong about having an opinion and then after some time realize that I was mistaken?

Again, you can praise this edition as long as you want, I did a mistake earlier by consediring this edition better than before, only to realize that are some issues that take away the fun of playing it.

If you never changed an opinion before in your life, congratulaions, you are the best person in the World!!!

Edited by FASP

3 minutes ago, FASP said:

And whats wrong with that? It is a crime to change the opinion about something? 

When I started to play the beta version, there were so many issues I didnt notice that later came up in my save that i qualify as a game breaking experience. Whats wrong about having an opinion and then after some time realize that I was mistaken?

Again, you can praise this edition as long as you want, I did a mistake earlier by consediring this edition as better than before, only to realize that are some issues that take away the fun of playing it.

If you never changed an opinion before in your life, congratulaions, you are the best person in the World!!!

This is a feedback thread for the game but thank you for the kind review. I'm sure you'll inevitably change your mind when you discover I, like the game, have a few bugs and don't always make the optimal choice. I hope you don't consider me to be the worst person in the world after that.

Not sure if the update has done anything to stop these moaning players :)

I am on a Colombian save and the games come thick and fast, I simply have to rotate but the players are not happy. There is no option to tell them its rotation to keep them for the more important fixtures. It can become tedious.

On the plus side I love the ME this year. The game flows much better, there are some great moves too, Also little things like player reactions to situations seems improved. 

Also had a game where a header hit the top of the bar, it spiralled in the air, fell on to the top of the net , had a bounce or two and then ran along the top of the net and fell off the side.......I loved it