Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It might potentially ruin their immersion but given its the result of so many end products, and realistically these woodworks wont be going on anyway if they are toned down, I'm willing to bet its going to be very low down their list. Realistically the alternative is going to be 1-1, and the shots miss wide. 

I mean, I don’t completely disagree. The number of shots for me is quite high, another reason possibly for people hitting the woodwork. By chance, you have to hit the woodwork.

I guess what I’m getting at, coming from a mod saying it’s low on your priority list and betting it’ll be low on theirs isn’t helpful. People want to know and understand why or the cause.

it’s at least the last couple editions it’s been happening but there’s little acknowledgement. In fact, we’re told from them they’re happy with the numbers so to them, it’s not even a problem. Bit confusing.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

I mean, I don’t completely disagree. The number of shots for me is quite high, another reason possibly for people hitting the woodwork. By chance, you have to hit the woodwork.

I guess what I’m getting at, coming from a mod saying it’s low on your priority list and betting it’ll be low on theirs isn’t helpful. People want to know and understand why or the cause.

it’s at least the last couple editions it’s been happening but there’s little acknowledgement. In fact, we’re told from them they’re happy with the numbers so to them, it’s not even a problem. Bit confusing.

Its not about whether its helpful or not though. Its about what's likely to be true. Its so dependent on end factors and doesn't ultimately change the end result, or move the needle so its going to a lower priority. If your shot numbers arent crazy higher then you also dont see it as much either so it starts becoming quite subjective from user to user. That's why its not such a critical thing to chase down

5 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Did a few more tests and can answer my own question:

CMs are hard coded to come short with their back to goal when on the ball side (regardless of roles), but can position themselves in between lines on the far side (with some roles, i.e. advanced playermaker and mezzala). 

He shouldn't if you're applying positional principles. Or at the very least, there should be one role where he will try to create space by dragging their CMs backwards rather than constricting space by coming and picking the ball up with his back to goal, without breaking a line. If an u/16 did that you'd do your next session on positioning when playing out.

You've got him on a support role so he will help support play more and retain a link. If you want him more aggressive in build up trying going  attack role instead 

23 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Did a few more tests and can answer my own question:

CMs are hard coded to come short with their back to goal when on the ball side (regardless of roles), but can position themselves in between lines on the far side (with some roles, i.e. advanced playermaker and mezzala). 

There you go, that's how it works :thup:

23 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

He shouldn't if you're applying positional principles. Or at the very least, there should be one role where he will try to create space by dragging their CMs backwards rather than constricting space by coming and picking the ball up with his back to goal, without breaking a line. If an u/16 did that you'd do your next session on positioning when playing out.

See above. If he goes tearing forward into the half space too early, it makes it difficult for your team to play through the opposition  

I can suggest trying him on Attack to see if that makes any difference or raise a Feature Request 

I think these situations are better analysed in .gif files because this years Fm is a lot mole fluid in movement wise meaning one picture is even more miss leading than before. Of course this is also a wrong thread to do it perhaps?

example video of Man city AI vs AI game from data analyst view.

Buildupphase.gif.22a94e7c7ab108eb75152b350a10be25.gif

54 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

If it’s not about being helpful here then that’s a problem lol why would people not want to help others understand.

It’s never about the end result. But this is where it CAN be helpful to let people understand rather. A user playing the game will feel they are on the side of bad luck constantly hitting the woodwork. To them, it ruins the end result. They do not understand why. Telling them it’s not high priority and not explaining is not helpful.

the last sentence I don’t necessarily agree with. My claim when sending these things in has been the % of shots rather just the number of times (I have asked for the woodwork stat to then grab a definite %). You will just see it more with the more shots, of course. Like many of the examples and PKMs I have sent in, it’s not always the case of high shot count.

But ive already explained how people will be be able to understand why its not likely a high priority. Shots hitting the work when they could potentially miss more is not on the same level as tackling defensive AI issues etc.

Communication isnt always hearing what you want to hear. They might not like that, but not going say something different just to make them feel better.

Things will always impact people differently but SI have to look at and prioritise what are genuine showstoppers in their view, and what impacts the most people the hardest. Thats not really going to be woodworks

4 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

I can't believe you are speaking so matter of factly about this. The shots hitting the woodwork is one of the many glaring issues in the game currently.  But lets not sit here and pretend that this is something new. There have been several bugs and issues over the years that are still in the game. Some that have been identified years ago. The fact that this issue has been so dismissed by you is quite baffling to me. 

I didnt dismiss it, so dont put words in my mouth. Its a matter of fact that issues have to be prioritised as you only have a set amount of times and resources. Something like woodwork being hit more when the shot should probably miss the goal more, isnt on the same level as say, defensive AI problems, or game crashes, or rule issues that break a league 

the game is extremely difficult its the same sort of performance and result in every game i go 2-0 up then its 2-2 so quickly and then i lose the game

when i go 2-0 up i know im going to lose the game no matter what i do especially with the away games fm23 match engine was not perfect but it was a lot better than this years i hope they can make improvements because game is too 1 sided and why are all the goalkeepers even in the rubbish teams so good

it goes to var my goals are disallowed, i finally get a penalty my player misses the other team gets a penalty they score I like a challenge but its like the game is scripted

I had 4 center-backs. I'm using a tactic were I play 2 center-backs in a 4-2-3-1 formation. The squad start moaning we need more center-backs, so I get 2 more. I now have 6(!) center-backs for 2 slots. The team things it's still not enough. How do you guys even play this game?

At this point SI should provide all players with a free editor so we can accually make it playable. Baffled. 

9 minutes ago, D-Foxx said:

I had 4 center-backs. I'm using a tactic were I play 2 center-backs in a 4-2-3-1 formation. The squad start moaning we need more center-backs, so I get 2 more. I now have 6(!) center-backs for 2 slots. The team things it's still not enough. How do you guys even play this game?

At this point SI should provide all players with a free editor so we can accually make it playable. Baffled. 

There is a free editor

1 hour ago, Pasonen said:

I think these situations are better analysed in .gif files because this years Fm is a lot mole fluid in movement wise meaning one picture is even more miss leading than before. Of course this is also a wrong thread to do it perhaps?

I think the biggest question mark about the AI here is that Kalvin Phillips has managed to get on a football pitch in a Man City shirt.

2 hours ago, Pasonen said:

Is there a way to clip videos in game?

41 minutes ago, chris72 said:

the game is extremely difficult its the same sort of performance and result in every game i go 2-0 up then its 2-2 so quickly and then i lose the game

when i go 2-0 up i know im going to lose the game no matter what i do especially with the away games fm23 match engine was not perfect but it was a lot better than this years i hope they can make improvements because game is too 1 sided and why are all the goalkeepers even in the rubbish teams so good

it goes to var my goals are disallowed, i finally get a penalty my player misses the other team gets a penalty they score I like a challenge but its like the game is SCRIPTED

Of course the game is scripted , though no one from the top will admit it , it must be your tactics instead

10 minutes ago, skrew said:

Sure it isn't, but you got like 4 years to mend this, and still it's an issue, and you always keep shutting out people with dismissive answers

Except i haven shut anyone out. If peole want to understand why something is the way it is, thats why. Im not going to say something different from the reasoning, to make some feel better if thats not true. 

SI are happy with the variation in their numbers (and the numbers seem to vary from normal to obscene depending on user). Ultimately these shots need to be missing the goal, rather than going in. So if you've got something that is variable, you're happy with internally, but is subjective enough to vary massively from user to user, you've got a complex issue to balance that actually overall in their view is a low priority issue. And as its an endpoint issue (ie dependent on attacking balances etc) its difficult to balance every release. SI are looking into defensive AI, which will change shooting, which impact woodworks. How, remains to be seen

Is it okay to say I really like this year’s game on here?

I don’t know if there’s to many goals or not and if there is I’m not to fussed anyway. Think I had the depth unhappiness issue once but quickly resolved it and not seen any other issues.

Every year the game gets better and even if it was just literally a database update, well worth the price.

21 hours ago, rp1966 said:

The lighting changes have been mentioned a few times in this and the beta (sorry, early access) thread and it's been changed from FM23, but is still bad, probably due to the underlying engine we've had since FM18 when the match visualiser went backwards in graphical quality. 

The 'fog' seems to be a filter that's applied to most matches (I think I've seen some sunny day matches without it) . In my West Ham beta save it was applied to pretty much every match along with the faded, barely visible, shadows, as every match was in overcast weather.  Since I've started my Japan save I've had a bit more variety. but the fundamental problems of this graphics engine are pretty much impossible to overcome.  The new remix has the fog effect, some variation in shadows - most games seemingly with faded shadows that go some way to hiding the fact that there still isn't any proper sun tracking or variation in stadium orientation. The only real change in shadows is that they seem to have flipped the lighting rig/camera direction so the shadows now come from the right and front instead of left and back.  Night-time is still day with 'cross' shadows representing floodlights (that don't match the actual placement of the lights in many of the stadiums).

Basically, there's no way for them to make a silk purse out of this particular sow's ear and most people have given up commenting on it hoping that FM25 and the Unity engine will give us a major step up in lighting quality when that arrives.

It's really a shame because the player models and animations are really good and deserve a better environment.

I've been playing around with 2023. 2024 version and 2023 save loaded into the 2024 and more issues are rearing their head (what was gegenpress in 23 is now seen as wing play in 23 save loaded into 24 version.) Add to this that the 'real names fix' doesn't work on that imported version either, I've decided that for now I will treat it like Windows OS - I'll never buy the new version just after release but will play an older version until about a year after release - so I will be playing 2023 from now on for a while. I will miss those new player models, animations and deflected shots a little but I definitely won't miss the fog in every match and the unmanagable player hissy fits about squad depth where the whole team rebels purely because a player goes away on international duty to the African nations. For the record SIgames, I am more disappointed than I have ever been and I've been playing this game for decades.

Not sure if this is a bug or not.  But over 2 years in game and I've just noticed it now. Am at FC Osaka, home staidum is the Hagiosha stadium, but every single home game apart from 2 pre season friendlies this season have been played at the Osaka stadium which is Cerezo Osaka's home ground. I've noticed that every home game for my reserve side has been played at our home staidum, and it seems as though the game is giving priority to the reserve team for home games at our ground. This a known bug at all?

Any ETA on a patch? I'm mostly just waiting on editor fixes, but still.

Also, what's the chances the new AFC competition formats get added in a patch? I reported it as a bug and the response was they didn't have time to do it by launch. But any chance it'll be added in one of the future patches, or is it going to be a wait for FM25 thing (which would suck!)?

6 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Also, what's the chances the new AFC competition formats get added in a patch? I reported it as a bug and the response was they didn't have time to do it by launch. But any chance it'll be added in one of the future patches, or is it going to be a wait for FM25 thing (which would suck!)?

next patch is usually around xmas time

8 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

I'll ask about the AFC but i dont think they will be waiting till Christmas. Its the weekend but they'll probably be keen to get some info out early next week

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'll ask about the AFC but i dont think they will be waiting till Christmas. Its the weekend but they'll probably be keen to get some info out early next week

Awesome, would be especially great to know about the AFC stuff. Kind of holding off starting a save for that, wouldn't want to restart part way through :D

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Except i haven shut anyone out. If peole want to understand why something is the way it is, thats why. Im not going to say something different from the reasoning, to make some feel better if thats not true. 

SI are happy with the variation in their numbers (and the numbers seem to vary from normal to obscene depending on user). Ultimately these shots need to be missing the goal, rather than going in. So if you've got something that is variable, you're happy with internally, but is subjective enough to vary massively from user to user, you've got a complex issue to balance that actually overall in their view is a low priority issue. And as its an endpoint issue (ie dependent on attacking balances etc) its difficult to balance every release. SI are looking into defensive AI, which will change shooting, which impact woodworks. How, remains to be seen

These woodwork complaints also talk mention the times you do in fact hit the crossbar but it does not show in the statistics.

that’s been something that’s happened in the past. Some people feel like they hit the crossbar too much for whatever reason that may be, but they also see the woodwork not being counted properly. For that also to be viewed low priority which now it looks like because people are also mentioning this when talking about the woodwork, would be a shame. Statistics should be counted properly and viewed high priority.

And it also, at times, counts when the shot was offside.

I’m sure you’re not saying that’s viewed low priority…I guess it’s hard for people to keep seeing these things in game and reporting it.

49 minutes ago, skrew said:

Which I honestly find insulting, it's been at least 4 years since hitting the woodwork 3-4 times a match is considered as normal and "reflect real life", which was always a total ********, now SI fixed it by not counting woodwork hits into the statistics. I'm right now in a match hitting my 3rd woodwork (see video) and guess what : 0 woodworks. After so many years I no longer bother to report it, good job SI.

image.png.4a33afe314c33ab13705485150abdb68.png`wo

“If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.” 

1984 - George Orwell

Never thought I'd get a chance to quote Orwell in a FM thread 😂

10 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

These woodwork complaints also talk mention the times you do in fact hit the crossbar but it does not show in the statistics.

that’s been something that’s happened in the past. Some people feel like they hit the crossbar too much for whatever reason that may be, but they also see the woodwork not being counted properly. For that also to be viewed low priority which now it looks like because people are also mentioning this when talking about the woodwork, would be a shame. Statistics should be counted properly and viewed high priority.

And it also, at times, counts when the shot was offside.

I’m sure you’re not saying that’s viewed low priority…I guess it’s hard for people to keep seeing these things in game and reporting it.

Woodwork not being counted, which we weren't talking about previously, is different issue to hitting the woodwork too often. One of those will be a bigger issue than the other

47 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Not sure if this is a bug or not.  But over 2 years in game and I've just noticed it now. Am at FC Osaka, home staidum is the Hagiosha stadium, but every single home game apart from 2 pre season friendlies this season have been played at the Osaka stadium which is Cerezo Osaka's home ground. I've noticed that every home game for my reserve side has been played at our home staidum, and it seems as though the game is giving priority to the reserve team for home games at our ground. This a known bug at all?

Japan seems to have a bunch of issues, so doesn't surprise me. Would add it to the bug section for data though

- Free kicks the ball hits the wall and the goal happens with the goalkeeper falling to the other side where the ball goes (it's an uncommon goal in football and in FM it seems programmed)
- Goals coming from rebounds from dead balls, it can be annoying when the defense is stopped and the attacker scores a goal alone
- The number of balls on the post is really excessive
- I would like to see more cards, I believe this happens a lot in real life and not on FM, as well as referees going on VAR television, I haven't seen any on FM 24 yet

Processing issues and interactions:
- Players still ask for a lot of salary even when we already offer salaries above what he earns in the current team
- Players complain about squad issues that do not match reality
- Player reaction does not exist in this version
- The AI did not replace players before 70 minutes of play
- The AI leaves players injured for a long time in the match
- A lot of lack of translation in press conferences

At the same time, this FM is still very good and has a lot of potential. Great processing, fluid ME with varied plays, movement of the best players evident, top scorers scoring goals. Goalkeepers get penalties (I said before but I was wrong), I don't think the game has many goals, I believe this needs to be better evaluated so the game doesn't lose its fun. Very active market, intermediaries working perfectly!

I actually believe that the geng press is working very well and is the easiest point of the game, but I'm enjoying that the tactics are working according to our instructions, I believe that the game has to be balanced between winning and losing. If the team has good players, the right tactics and high morale, the chance of winning must be immense. At the same time, the game cannot become simple, moments of oscillation must be present (drawing with a weaker team, player with not so good morale at that moment playing poorly, fans are worried).

Will we have a hot fix this week? We are all waiting for this, even if it corrects the crucial points, leaving major crashes and other issues for patching.

Edited by Leon_fogo

1 hour ago, skrew said:

Which I honestly find insulting, it's been at least 4 years since hitting the woodwork 3-4 times a match is considered as normal and "reflect real life", which was always a total ********, now SI fixed it by not counting woodwork hits into the statistics. I'm right now in a match hitting my 3rd woodwork (see video) and guess what : 0 woodworks. After so many years I no longer bother to report it, good job SI.

image.png.4a33afe314c33ab13705485150abdb68.png`wo

This is a shame...

22 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Woodwork not being counted, which we weren't talking about previously, is different issue to hitting the woodwork too often. One of those will be a bigger issue than the other

The conversation about the woodwork and reporting it came from this. The original woodwork complaint was about it not being recorded by Dzek.

and we then began speaking on actually hitting the woodwork. As said, often when people talk about the woodwork they mention the stats not being recorded.

I agree. One issue will be bigger than the other but this issue is another that’s been the case for years which is proving to be difficult to get acknowledged. By the way, no hard feelings. I appreciate the responses (which is why I’m continuing) because this is the most I’ve personally got out of a conversation about it.

8 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

The numbers are already above real games for me.

I have been reporting about the woodwork for couple years now. It’s become a running joke “RDF WoodworkFC” haha and I don’t think it will change. SI seem to be happy with it.

I’ve sent in me hitting the woodwork 5 games in a row and hitting it on average just over 2 times in those games. But also with the problem that sometimes we hit the woodwork and it doesn’t count on the stats.

I have a woodwork counter on streams :lol:  We ended up stop counting 

8 hours ago, dzek said:

Well, I didn't get it. Anyway this happens once in a while when there are 7 woodwork in a football game.

The issue in the bug report I posted above is that not all the woodwork are recorded within the ΜΕ stats. If you ask people here how many woodworks they see per game I think it will be above the numbers you see in real football games.

Edited by RDF Tactics

3 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

The conversation about the woodwork and reporting it came from this. The original woodwork complaint was about it not being recorded by Dzek.

and we then began speaking on actually hitting the woodwork. As said, often when people talk about the woodwork they mention the stats not being recorded.

I agree. One issue will be bigger than the other but this issue is another that’s been the case for years which is proving to be difficult to get acknowledged. By the way, no hard feelings. I appreciate the responses (which is why I’m continuing) because this is the most I’ve personally got out of a conversation about it.

No hard feelings at all. If you ask me a question I'll always try and answer honestly and be as candid as possible than tell you something that isnt true to make you feel better. Some people might take that as dismissive but its not, its just honest communication. 

For what its worth ive always argued SI should be more communicative. But the way that communication is sometimes received here definitely makes that more difficult for them to do so imo. 

2 hours ago, chris72 said:

it goes to var my goals are disallowed, i finally get a penalty my player misses the other team gets a penalty they score I like a challenge but its like the game is scripted

This type of "feedback" is always much favourite. Such BS. 

I'm being robbed off wins every time i go 2-0 up I'm in control of the game and taking chances something has to go wrong even if i go defensive. been playing this game for many years but theres something really up with the match engine in fm24 is there something wrong in the game or is it just scripted?

just feels like player instructions, tactics and training  gets even more useless every year doesn't feel like I'm managing and its just a script and 9 times out of 10  I'm going to lose

3 minutes ago, chris72 said:
I'm being robbed off wins every time i go 2-0 up I'm in control of the game and taking chances something has to go wrong even if i go defensive. been playing this game for many years but theres something really up with the match engine in fm24 is there something wrong in the game or is it just scripted?

just feels like player instructions, tactics and training  gets even more useless every year doesn't feel like I'm managing and its just a script and 9 times out of 10  I'm going to lose

I feel like opposition coaches change to an attacking setup more quickly. Much more often in this version that I concede immediately after scoring (with an all out attack strategy). If I can't be bothered changing to something more defensive.

38 minutes ago, chris72 said:

Sorry, but this is not true

And it's a really bad idea to go Defensive when the opposition are trying to claw back a 2-0 deficit 

27 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Sorry, but this is not true

And it's a really bad idea to go Defensive when the opposition are trying to claw back a 2-0 deficit 

But the theory isn't wrong, is it? You go two nil up, you sit more defensively so you can counter attack when they flood forward.

So perhaps it's the mechanics of the game that are problematic, rather than people trying to do what I would suggest is correct.