Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

16 minutes ago, dpt8544 said:

It's difficult though because in the Bundesliga last season there was 3.17 goals per game and so far this season there has been 3.64 goals per game. So those numbers are not too far off a higher scoring league like the Bundesliga. And if you were playing Bundesliga and there was only 2.4 goals per game it would be just as reasonable to say that it is equally unrealistic as the Championship having 3.2 goals per game. And it has to be almost impossible to replicate the quite dramatic difference in goals that exists between higher and low scoring leagues with one match engine.

They did a pretty good job with it in FM23 in terms of getting the balance between leagues and standards and seeing novel results and also 0-0,s 1-0,s and 1-1, 2-1's etc. Nowadays I get shocked when I see a 0-0, but don't even blink at a 5-3 because there's usually at least one or two others in the same gameweek.

Out of all the tests (Others have been done with even more leagues, countries not displayed in the thread) the Bundesliga/B2 is the only league that underperforms, and even then to a minimal degree and is mostly due to the fact less shots are taken in the Bundesliga (both in FM and IRL, but in FM even more so as is the case for all leagues). Would you rather have one league be under, or every other league above and in some cases above excessively? Surely you favour the many in that case.

You have to be able to play defensive football, as well as attacking football. Currently due to the conversion rate being so high it's pointless and impossible to grind out narrow tight results and set up in that way, which is the absolute foundation for a side fighting to stay up usually. Reverting to basics, defend, if you can score great if not respect the 0-0.

. Happy medium by just lowering the conversion rate (as the rest of the ME seems fine) down to 12% from the current 14% (IRL 7-8%, FM23 9-10%) would be massive IMO and be a perfect middle ground. By altering the conversion rate, that isn't necessarily nerfing finishing (even though it wouldn't be nerfing) it could just be by making GK actually useful! I'd also still be interested to see if moral/confidence is too important when conceding a goal as I do notice goal gluts occur after the first goal.

Edited by Domoboy23

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Also... maybe the goalkeepers are not as good as expected in the current ME... Here is a high scoring game in my save , 4-5 in which both keepers were performing terrible...

The number of shots was fine, xg was fine... the keepers were rubbish

image.thumb.png.53d787ab07bf4f256aa74d40dc759072.png

image.thumb.png.e46d9e8b2f524d72b23ec5abf4ec8628.png

This IMO is the big problem in lower leagues. The goalies are either brilliant or terrible and there is no in-between.

Basically a wall or does this guy even have hands?

And 9 times out of 10 it's the does he have hands.

Edited by kiwityke1983

1 hour ago, Lempicka said:

I'd love to know the rationale behind the decision to add face paints to manager customisation. Not only do I find it baffling that time was spent adding this - but that someone thought it was good idea. After all the criticism of last year, I thought SI would have steered clear of this type of stuff and focused more on noticeable visual improvements.

Me: "I play in a home stadium that only has one floodlight and it looks so unrealistic. Will it be fixed next year?"

SI: "Here, have some face paints for your manager."

It's the sort of feature that's included because some 5 year old child won a competition or something. I mean why not now add fancy dress? Why stop here? 

23 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

This IMO is the big problem in lower leagues. The goalies are either brilliant or terrible and there is no in-between.

Basically a wall or does this guy even have hands?

And 9 times out of 10 it's the does he have hands.

Yeah... if they improve the GK a bit more, the conversion rate will also drop a bit more... Although it has to be a very fine tuning not to have super keepers all the time...

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

They did a pretty good job with it in FM23 in terms of getting the balance between leagues and standards and seeing novel results and also 0-0,s 1-0,s and 1-1, 2-1's etc. Nowadays I get shocked when I see a 0-0, but don't even blink at a 5-3 because there's usually at least one or two others in the same gameweek.

Out of all the tests (Others have been done with even more leagues, countries not displayed in the thread) the Bundesliga/B2 is the only league that underperforms, and even then to a minimal degree and is mostly due to the fact less shots are taken in the Bundesliga (both in FM and IRL, but in FM even more so as is the case for all leagues). Would you rather have one league be under, or every other league above and in some cases above excessively? Surely you favour the many in that case.

You have to be able to play defensive football, as well as attacking football. Currently due to the conversion rate being so high it's pointless and impossible to grind out narrow tight results and set up in that way, which is the absolute foundation for a side fighting to stay up usually. Reverting to basics, defend, if you can score great if not respect the 0-0.

. Happy medium by just lowering the conversion rate (as the rest of the ME seems fine) down to 12% from the current 14% (IRL 7-8%, FM23 9-10%) would be massive IMO and be a perfect middle ground. By altering the conversion rate, that isn't necessarily nerfing finishing (even though it wouldn't be nerfing) it could just be by making GK actually useful! I'd also still be interested to see if moral/confidence is too important when conceding a goal as I do notice goal gluts occur after the first goal.

Yeah, that seems fair for sure. I certainly agree I'd rather it be somewhere in between the levels of the Championship and the Bundesliga. You're doing good work testing the goalscoring rates mate

Could someone at SI please play a season with the new champions league format and see the utter mess the fixture calculator gets into?

I didnt even go deep into domestic cups:

image.thumb.png.2a248148ec14838f764d36ea9a2c6d5f.png

And generally will get this kind of mess at the end of the season without fail:

image.thumb.png.74ebce1d492c22be1f9dad93a4d88ff4.png

Fixture scheduling was an issue last year so disappointing that if anything its got worse.

Nothing wrong with that valuation for a player who doesn't even play... Players are too expensive

image.thumb.png.fdb46f3e01fba2dbef0fd7c615d1ffb3.png

Compare it to my most valued player, a Star Player who is having a good season with 21 goal contributions in 25 matches

image.thumb.png.5de5169599fb913239ab26f7616aff7a.png

Edited by KamyKaze

1 hour ago, angelo994 said:

Has anyone else played in Brazil? The match schedules are kinda crazy. Sometimes 3 games per week? 

You'll need to add a screenshot of your schedule but 3 games per week / 8 days is a norm in many leagues with league and cup games

4 hours ago, Lempicka said:

I'd love to know the rationale behind the decision to add face paints to manager customisation. Not only do I find it baffling that time was spent adding this - but that someone thought it was good idea. After all the criticism of last year, I thought SI would have steered clear of this type of stuff and focused more on noticeable visual improvements.

Me: "I play in a home stadium that only has one floodlight and it looks so unrealistic. Will it be fixed next year?"

Next you'll be saying lapel badges weren't worth it, either,

Honest feedback.

I miss the Beta, i had very minor issues with the beta excluding a few bugs. match engine felt fresh and exciting yet not always predictable, i didnt mind loosing games because i could see my team where using space or moving to make passing options to go forward as was my tactic by design and if we lost its because we got caught on the break or you could see where where outplayed and that was enjoyable for me, W,L or D it felt like i could see what was happening and why.

Since full release my players just kick the ball where ever they want, dont work the space the tactics try to make there is at least a pen a game and it feels like all the player interactions have reverted to FM23 where my goalkeeper gets a 5.6 but having a word and he thinks he played like prime Buffon. Ive not been able to find a list of changes since the full release but if i could roll back the game to the Beta to continue playing i would 100% would. Felt like a much more fun experience  

12 minutes ago, Thirkwood said:

Honest feedback.

I miss the Beta, i had very minor issues with the beta excluding a few bugs. match engine felt fresh and exciting yet not always predictable, i didnt mind loosing games because i could see my team where using space or moving to make passing options to go forward as was my tactic by design and if we lost its because we got caught on the break or you could see where where outplayed and that was enjoyable for me, W,L or D it felt like i could see what was happening and why.

Since full release my players just kick the ball where ever they want, dont work the space the tactics try to make there is at least a pen a game and it feels like all the player interactions have reverted to FM23 where my goalkeeper gets a 5.6 but having a word and he thinks he played like prime Buffon. Ive not been able to find a list of changes since the full release but if i could roll back the game to the Beta to continue playing i would 100% would. Felt like a much more fun experience  

It's the exact same match engine. There have been no changes

3 hours ago, janrzm said:

Anyone using the HB in a tactic and getting decent ratings? 

I used a HB for 2 seasons in combination with complete wing backs on either side, worked quite well. The HB does not get extraordinary ratings, but it does enable the wingbacks to do that.

5 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

It's the exact same match engine. There have been no changes

Then i have no ideas why i had 0 issues within the beta and now have penalties given all most every game, teams now engaging differently and not using the space as they where. i even loaded my beta save and found the problems im facing in new saves now happen within there too. I have spoken to others who have felt the same so if they've not changed the match engine at all then i can only imagine there is another contributor 

2 minutes ago, Thirkwood said:

Then i have no ideas why i had 0 issues within the beta and now have penalties given all most every game, teams now engaging differently and not using the space as they where. i even loaded my beta save and found the problems im facing in new saves now happen within there too. I have spoken to others who have felt the same so if they've not changed the match engine at all then i can only imagine there is another contributor 

Since the release of the game have u had any major lineup changes, tactic changes, position/role changes, have any players been disgruntled, are all of tjem training well, whats their fatigue and injury load, what point of the season are u in, most teams tend to wear out late in the season if u play agressive all season long. 

theres about a million possible scenarios for you possibly simply going thru a “slump” lol

3 minutes ago, Thirkwood said:

Changes in the main game code can affect the parameters passed into the match engine, so that could explain different play in the same ME but a different patch level in the main game.  Might just be the randomness of RNG that's giving things a different feel in your game, though.

The only changes I've really felt are the obvious optimizations to the graphical stuff. I had to turn down settings in the beta because of stuttering but now it's running smoothly with everything maxed out and at 200% render scale. My card isn't spectacular (2070 super) but it did feel funny turning down settings on a game like this.

2 minutes ago, Purple Bane said:

According to my stats, we've hit the woodwork 89 times this season by March...that sounds extreme, not sure what the norm is. Seems Liverpools 8 in 11 games is the top in the prem this season.

During the beta (not checked since) 10& of all my shots over a season were hitting the woodwork. I was averaging about 550-600 shots. So about 55 to 60 shots over 38 matches were woodwork. Pushing around 100 across all competitions. Around 1.5 to 2 shots on average per match 

Edited by harrycarrie

Seriously....

image.png.6a8527829e99e6004a421d2eefec4234.png

His honours, sure the real life Maddison wouldnt be complaining about something so trivial:

image.png.07797a84711d8802f198187ff8f2be87.png

I only had to accept the promise as I know telling him I wont would destroy morale.

Still loving FM24, but wish players could see the bigger picture!

5 hours ago, ChrisNUFC said:

There could be someone with SI who has worked towards improving processing speeds, sitting there wondering if anyone has noticed or not. But also, I've given lots of 'negative' feedback, so trying to balance it out. 

Improvement of the processing speed is an amazing, unexpected upgrade to be honest. 

FM23 it was taking 15 minutes or so to start a save with 200,000 players and dozens of leagues loaded. FM24 I can start a save with even more players and leagues loaded and it’ll be ready to go in about 3-5 minutes. 

5 hours ago, ChrisNUFC said:

There could be someone with SI who has worked towards improving processing speeds, sitting there wondering if anyone has noticed or not. But also, I've given lots of 'negative' feedback, so trying to balance it out. 

Using the quick-start defaults, I holidayed through 22 seasons last night in just over two hours.  That's quite a bit quicker than FM22 I think.

2 hours ago, dunk105 said:

Could someone at SI please play a season with the new champions league format and see the utter mess the fixture calculator gets into?

Fixture scheduling was an issue last year so disappointing that if anything its got worse.

did you report it as a bug? 

6 hours ago, Lempicka said:

I have an inkling of how this happened. I bet someone working on something else discovered that as a new feature in the third-party library they're using for the models, tried it out because it only took a few lines of code, and showed it to someone else who goes "sure, why not?". It was likely a very cheap feature to implement, also with little impact to QA.  Or maybe it was someone's intern project.

Either way, I don't believe some other feature was deprioritized because of it.

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins

20 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I have an inkling of how this happened. I bet someone working on something else discovered that as a new feature in the third-party library they're using for the models, tried it out because it only took a few lines of code, and showed it to someone else who goes "sure, why not?". It was likely a very cheap feature to implement, also with little impact to QA.  Or maybe it was someone's intern project.

Either way, I don't believe some other feature was deprioritized because of it.

Either way, resources were spent on this...

2 hours ago, Thirkwood said:

Honest feedback.

The Match Engine is literally the same as Beta....so. 

I'm after half of the season in my first save, so my first thoughts about the match engine. TBH it looks pretty similar to the one in FM23, but slightly less entertaining :/ I don't know if it's just in my case, but the central play is almost absent. I haven't seen any through ball behind the defensive line in any of 17 games my team played. My central and attacking midfielders almost always look for a pass to the winger/fullback. I've tried couple of formations (4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond) with various mixes of roles and instructions (play narrower, work the ball into the box etc.) and it all looks the same. I always liked using Shadow Striker or CM (A), who were attacking the space behind the striker to go 1v1 against the keeper and score. Now they are useless. The players on the wing (even with the wide playmaker or advanced playmaker role) refuse to cut inside and try to pass through the middle. The inside forwards behave like typical wingers, attacking near the sideline and trying to cross the ball. Generally speaking, there are awful lots of crosses in my games and it's really hard to watch. Anyone has similar problems here? 

I haven't play beta, maybe it was a mistake. If I knew the ME looks like this I definitely wouldn't buy the game in it's current state. 

8 minutos atrás, szp disse:

Já passei de metade da temporada na minha primeira defesa, então meus primeiros pensamentos sobre o mecanismo de jogo. TBH é bem parecido com o do FM23, mas um pouco menos divertido :/ Não sei se é só no meu caso, mas a peça central está quase ausente. Não vi nenhum passe atrás da linha defensiva em nenhum dos 17 jogos que meu time disputou. Meus meio-campistas central e ofensivo quase sempre buscam um passe para o lateral/lateral. Eu tentei algumas formações (4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamante) com várias combinações de funções e instruções (jogar de forma mais restrita, colocar a bola na área etc.) e tudo parece igual. Sempre gostei de usar Shadow Striker ou CM (A), que atacavam o espaço atrás do atacante para fazer 1v1 contra o goleiro e marcar. Agora eles são inúteis. Os jogadores da ala (mesmo com a função de craque lateral ou craque avançado) recusam-se a cortar para dentro e tentar passar pelo meio. Os atacantes internos se comportam como extremos típicos, atacando próximo à linha lateral e tentando cruzar a bola. De um modo geral, há muitos cruzamentos nos meus jogos e é muito difícil de assistir. Alguém tem problemas semelhantes aqui? 

Não joguei beta, talvez tenha sido um erro. Se eu soubesse que o ME é assim, definitivamente não compraria o jogo no estado atual. 

Like here

24 minutes ago, szp said:

I'm after half of the season in my first save, so my first thoughts about the match engine. TBH it looks pretty similar to the one in FM23, but slightly less entertaining :/ I don't know if it's just in my case, but the central play is almost absent. I haven't seen any through ball behind the defensive line in any of 17 games my team played. My central and attacking midfielders almost always look for a pass to the winger/fullback. I've tried couple of formations (4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 diamond) with various mixes of roles and instructions (play narrower, work the ball into the box etc.) and it all looks the same. I always liked using Shadow Striker or CM (A), who were attacking the space behind the striker to go 1v1 against the keeper and score. Now they are useless. The players on the wing (even with the wide playmaker or advanced playmaker role) refuse to cut inside and try to pass through the middle. The inside forwards behave like typical wingers, attacking near the sideline and trying to cross the ball. Generally speaking, there are awful lots of crosses in my games and it's really hard to watch. Anyone has similar problems here? 

I haven't play beta, maybe it was a mistake. If I knew the ME looks like this I definitely wouldn't buy the game in it's current state. 

Inside Forwards or Inverted Wingers? In my case, I feel the Inside Forward behaves like he is supposed to, besides the differences between the Inside Forward and the Inverted Winger seems to be quite visible.

45 minutes ago, Mst82 said:

Augsburg v Crystal Palace, both in white:

image.png.33ea4fcca8ce46a81d5170ca67b922bd.png

Without any malicious intent, how on earth can you release the full game with fundamental bugs like this?

Are you using any 3D kit packs?

4 hours ago, dunk105 said:

The Premier League does get congested a lot due to two different cup competitions, European football and the league itself - top clubs, like City, Liverpool, etc, regularly end up with that sort of congestion. I'm not entirely sure what you want SI to do when real life has this happen regularly too.

4 hours ago, dannysheard said:

Next you'll be saying lapel badges weren't worth it, either,

Would have been nice to have a poppy as an option for an accessory, even if only displayed through end of october/start of November in game

Edited by KillYourIdols