SF2: France vs Morocco, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

Our second semi-final sees reigning champions France take on Africa's first ever semi-finalists in Morocco. France come into this having beaten Poland and England in the previous knockout rounds while Morocco come into this having knocked out two Iberian sides in a row in the form of Spain and Portugal. Nayef Aguerd and Noussair Mazraoui are fit again for Morocco while Walid Cheddira is suspended. France have two doubts in the form of Dayot Upamecano and Adrien Rabiot.

Moroccan fans are expected to make up over 80% of tonight's crowd at the Al Bayt Stadium.

Semi-final history

France have made this stage on six previous occasions (1958, 1982, 1986, 1998, 2006 and 2018).

Morocco, like any other African nation have never made it this far previously.

Past meetings

They have played each other on 10 occasions, with France winning 7 times while Morocco won their very first meeting. Their most recent meeting was a 2-2 draw in Paris in 2007.

Lineups

Fj9IGFuXwAk62lu?format=jpg&name=small

Upamecano and Rabiot do miss out with Konate and Fofana coming in for France.

Fj9Kpp9XoAEq6QO?format=jpg&name=small

As expected, Aguerd and Mazraoui are back for Morocco while Saiss is fit to start again.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like Morocco to pull off one more shock. An African team getting to a World Cup Final - and especially a Muslim-majority nation getting to the Final in another Muslim host country - would be a HUGE milestone.

But if France get through, we're still getting a great story in the Final. Messi vs Mbappé - the best player of his generation, against probably the greatest player of any generation.

Belgium, Spain and Portugal have all fallen to the Atlas Lions. I don't think the defending champions will make the same mistakes. Les Bleus to win 2-0.

Got to be France here surely.

Spent four days convincing myself that they are the best team in the world and England running them so close is progress that we can be proud of.

If Morocco waltz in and beat them 3-0 I don't think I would recover.

19 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

I'd seen rumours yesterday about Rabiot and Upamecano being ill. I think their replacements are obviously still top quality but maybe it just bridges the overall quality gap a bit. Looking forward to this one.

Konaté is better when fit. Upamecano has looked a bomb scare.

Not sure about Rabiot vs Fofana, Rabiot has had a good tournament but haven't watched Fofana outside of this tournament.

15 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Konaté is better when fit. Upamecano has looked a bomb scare.

Not sure about Rabiot vs Fofana, Rabiot has had a good tournament but haven't watched Fofana outside of this tournament.

My eyes were just drawn to the bomb scare stuff... I was like, OMG! Somehow, I was always just waiting for some news like that coming from this tournament. Thank God it was just a metaphor

I support Bayern so Upamecano is clearly better ;)

The last time I was this sure that a team would finally see their luck run out Rob Huth scored twice at the Etihad so we can expect the Moroccan Maldini to bag a brace.

With Mbappe and Giroud you can neither afford to defend high or deep so this is probably Morocco's biggest test by some way, I just can't see them doing it.

Edit: I jest, Upamecano was clearly terrible in the first half against Kane.

Edited by The_jagster

55 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Got to be France here surely.

Spent four days convincing myself that they are the best team in the world and England running them so close is progress that we can be proud of.

If Morocco waltz in and beat them 3-0 I don't think I would recover.

Had to be Belgium, then Spain, then Portugal. I think it’s a game too far tonight, but I wouldn’t put it past them, if only to destroy you :D

Just now, Darius1998 said:

Ounahi looks a pretty good prospect. Was playing in the French 3rd tier a couple of years ago but he's 22 and has been excellent so far.

Was about to ask which club is going to take a punt on him. Seems like a West Ham signing.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Both teams would be sitting on a one goal lead anyway.

The underdogs sitting on the lead and France being forced to use their deep reserves of talent to attack would be the more interesting course of the match than the other way round though...

2 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Was about to ask which club is going to take a punt on him. Seems like a West Ham signing.

People on this forum thinks that every good but less known player will end up at West Ham after this tournament :D 

Just now, Astafjevs said:

He's definitely not fit in any way shape or form

Ye, I think the machine has broken. Fair play to him for giving it a go but he needs to rest and recover for the Premiership battle after Christmas 

2 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

People on this forum thinks that every good but less known player will end up at West Ham after this tournament :D 

Because signing anyone who's had a good tournament feels a very West Ham thing to do