Will you guys be watching the World Cup? and if so how much?

thefmveteran86

World Cup watching   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the World Cup? if so how much?

• All of it
    • Most of it
    • Some of it
    • None

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/11/22 at 00:00

Given all the corruption and scandal that came with this World Cup and with it coming towards the festive season, will you be watching the World Cup? I might watch some of it myself despite all those migrant workers killed during the construction of the stadiums as not watching it will mean their deaths would have been for nothing, their human right's record and other things that made this THE most controversial World Cup host since Russia 4 years ago 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Given all the corruption and scandal that came with this World Cup and with it coming towards the festive season, will you be watching the World Cup? I might watch some of it myself despite all those migrant workers killed during the construction of the stadiums as not watching it will mean their deaths would have been for nothing, their human right's record and other things that made this THE most controversial World Cup host since Russia 4 years ago 

I'll watch some of it with a sinking feeling and little enthusiasm, in the knowledge that not one penny of my wealth will go to nasty elements. When I watch England v Iran, the mercenary band will grate, and those camera close-ups of pretty smiling Iranian women will just make me think, "I know why YOU'RE here and thousands of other Iranian women and men are not.

Here's a thing I've been reflecting on in the last few days - I'm more passionate than ever about playing FM23 as a LLaMa. I'm in the editor now, preparing my part-timers' photos and personnel details. Why? Because my disgust with the dirty money at the top pushes me to a level where the sport is fun and clean.

I will probably watch the Australian games and be annoyed at how bad we are.

There is no real excitement given the lack of quality in the side and we also have a very poor coach in Graham Arnold.

The most attractive thing will be seeing how young talent Garang Kuol goes if he gets minutes

I voted some of it. Not really decided fully yet. Certainly not gonna be doing 3-4 games a day and it may be i watch a couple of england games and that's it. Still be happiest if the whole thing got cancelled.  

It will all be on places where viewership can't be counted mind. No bbc and itv players. 

Almost none, bearing in mind I don't really watch non-tournament football anyway. Usually I would try and watch at least some of every match but not this time. I am more likely to watch the final, and there's a chance of doing so for any England (or Mexico) knockout games but otherwise I'm voting with my tv remote this time. I can still follow along with it on here anyway.

I'll watch most of it.  Last few World Cups I have barely missed a game, but my kids are older now and need running around all over the place.

Gonna be a few games here and there where I have an unavoidable clash :(  And I've booked the first week off out of habit, but once it goes to the final round of group games and the R16 there are still some weekday 3pm kickoffs.  Going to have to work and have two screens on the go and dip in and out.

Edited by Rob1981

I'll watch most of it - I usually do.  The only reason I won't watch all of it is because I just won't be able to - work etc.

Right now i've barely thought about it though - not sure if that's because it's in November during the football season, and not a summer tournament.  Location etc.  But at the moment I think the tournament could be a bit of a damp squib.

Morality aside, I work/commute during the hours it is on and reside in a household dominated by women. When I get free time, I would much rather do other things than watch a football game. So I voted none, because I'm not making an effort to actually watch it.

I’ll watch as many as I can depending on how expensive the fan zones are and if the bars aren’t too rammed. Could also stay in and watch a few with a VPN if it starts getting too expensive or too much hassle. Won’t quite be the same paying £11 for a pint and trying to nurse it through the whole game rather than buying £2 caipirinhas from a dodgy blokes cool box on Copacabana Beach in Rio 2014 though.

I hate the fact it’s in Qatar as much as anybody but it’s the World Cup, it’s my favourite competition and I’ll be damned if I’m having a 8 year gap between two of them even if this one won’t feel the same.

I can't take time off during the first week really so half a half day on the Monday, and half days for any knockout match.

So working for the first week with it on the radio in the background. From some Talksport ad I thought they had it but fortunately it's all on BBC radio.

The last group games are rarely that great imo so don't mind missing the 3pm kickoffs for those, but any potential England game I will be able to watch :)

32 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I’ll watch as many as I can depending on how expensive the fan zones are and if the bars aren’t too rammed. Could also stay in and watch a few with a VPN if it starts getting too expensive or too much hassle. Won’t quite be the same paying £11 for a pint and trying to nurse it through the whole game rather than buying £2 caipirinhas from a dodgy blokes cool box on Copacabana Beach in Rio 2014 though.

I hate the fact it’s in Qatar as much as anybody but it’s the World Cup, it’s my favourite competition and I’ll be damned if I’m having a 8 year gap between two of them even if this one won’t feel the same.

How long are you out there for?

Will watch as much of it as I can because it’s football and there’ll be no other football I want to watch on at the time. 

But yeah, it’s the least excited I’ve been for a world cup. Even when Pardew had almost completely killed my love for the game I was more excited.

17 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

How long are you out there for?

22nd  Nov to the 16th Dec. My first tickets are for the 23rd so arrive just before that and then I come back on the 16th. Would have been nice to stay for the final but the price of flights back to England literally doubled after the 16th.

45 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I think the kickoff times locally are 1, 4, 7 and10pm.

Correct.  It is 10am / 1pm / 4pm / 7pm in the UK and Qatar are three hours ahead.

That's in the first two rounds of matches anyway, then it goes to 3pm / 7pm over here and 6pm / 10pm local time.

Edited by Rob1981

I'll miss the first three games each day while at work, but I might watch some of the 7pm kick offs.

I won't be going out of my way to catch the games, but I'll probably watch the games on at the weekend when I'd usually be watching football anyway.

4 hours ago, Haguey said:

Homeworking, will likely watch it all.

Same here, although I may miss the odd one that doesn't look appealing cos there are still things that I'll need to do, like shopping, exercise and seeing friends!

As for the morality of it, I feel the basic human level of disgust that I imagine most do, but not to the extent of those who are really pushing against it. Not criticising people doing that, of course - in many respects, I'll probably agree with them - I'm just not that much of an activist.

On top of that, the timing just makes it feel weird - in the usual time slot, there's usually some breathing space following the season to build it up properly, but the lack of that this time means that I'm constantly surprised when I see how little time there is until it begins.

2 hours ago, sc91 said:

Fair enough for flying over. :D

Tbf I wouldn't be making a special trip for it but my (sort of!) girlfriend moved there this year for work so it would be stupid not to miss out on the opportunity, especially with the free accommodation. No way would I be able to afford it if I was to add hotel costs to the expenses!

29 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Tbf I wouldn't be making a special trip for it but my (sort of!) girlfriend moved there this year for work so it would be stupid not to miss out on the opportunity, especially with the free accommodation. No way would I be able to afford it if I was to add hotel costs to the expenses!

Haha, that's always a bonus then, get to see the potential new home.

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Was she actually your (sort of!) girlfriend before she moved there?  tbh sounds like you sought her out deliberately so you had somewhere to stay for free for the WC ;)

No, we haven't lived in the same country for 5 years (she moves around for work, something that started after we first met) so even though I usually say "girlfriend" without thinking but we're really just long distance FWB at this point. I visit her as often as I can and we're totally a couple when we're together but we have an agreement that we can also see different people seeing as we've spent 5 years living in different time zones :D 

If you're familiar with my posts in the travelling thread you'll know I do a lot of it, so I'm more of a 'girl in every port' kind of guy ;) 

Edited by Weezer

Will miss most daytime games in the week due to work, will be able to catch most night games and a few at weekends too.

Not sure if it's just me, but I and loads of my mates don't seem to be as hyped at all for this WC coming up compared to usual summer ones.

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

No way would I be able to afford it if I was to add hotel costs to the expenses!

This is the biggest problem of this World Cup for people who want to go.

Take your average football fans in their 20s, 30s and even 40s, they just want a clean bed and shower, minimum expenses, no time spend at the place except for sleeping.

And there are barely any of those in Qatar, it's all luxury stuff. Match and plane tickets aren't the biggest problem, accomodation is.

Most places are about £500-1000 a night, that's absolutely insane for the average football fan. If you wanted to be there for the whole tournament I don't know how a normal person would do it without having family or friends to stay with.

Another reason, obviously not as important as the human rights etc, it was shambolic to award them the tournament is that Qatar just isn't set up for this many visitors, and this type of visitor either.

Technically I'm not even legally supposed to be staying with her because we're not married. Another ******** reason we shouldn't be allowing supposedly inclusive worldwide events like the World Cup to be held in these ridiculous countries.

Edited by Weezer

Will watch some of it. I'm working throughout the whole tournament so will catch the good/big games when I'm able to but I'll not be tuning in for **** like Qatar v Ecuador or whatever

E: actually working during that game so couldn't watch it even if i wanted to :D

Edited by JD nawrat