*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

Just now, metal_guitarist said:

In that case they may have happened after data lock. Can't remember when that was off the top of my head. 

Strange development - as I went into the Editor right after it was released Corberan/Emery/Carrick etc were all at their new clubs, hence why I posted what I did Now I've just gone back into the Editor and they are no longer there, back as being unemployed/Emery at Villarreal...

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, when a bug is found how quick do people think it takes for a fix to be made and rolled out?

A day?
A week?
A month?
3 months?

There will be multiple steps any code change would have to go through and pass before being rolled out. It isn't a case of change one bit of code and bobs your uncle. There are ramifications on any code you change.

Just now, BenW. said:

Strange development - as I went into the Editor right after it was released Corberan/Emery/Carrick etc were all at their new clubs, hence why I posted what I did Now I've just gone back into the Editor and they are no longer there, back as being unemployed/Emery at Villarreal...

How strange. Maybe try validating the local files in Steam (right click on the game, properties, local files, validate) and try again. If not then raise a bug over here - All Other Issues - Bug Tracker - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com) I don't have the game available in front of me at the minute to test to myself I'm afraid. 

4 minutes ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

I'm the Liverpool researcher and I have seen him play for us. His CA is significantly greater than any other u18 player for LFC which is the squad he started to play with. His first game for our u21s was 8th October, he only played c120 mins for our u21s prior to datalock. Yet his CA is already in the top half of our u21 players. His PA is very, very high too and potential range should be reached in game. Do not get carried away with his attributes but his performances and development at that level. So with respect, I've not 'missed the ball', I need to see him more now that he's playing at a higher level to ensure his attributes become more reflective

Thanks for replying, but to give him random attributes seem to be missing the ball, but i don't know how that works, maybe you are forced to set them to random, but his physicals are **** in my game and he is quite a physical player so if its not random then i don't know why they are low. 

6 minutes ago, XaW said:

It should be visible next to the FM-menu. Are you using any skin, by any chance? Perhaps try it with the base skin, if so. Other than that I don't know, sorry. I haven't bought the IGE yet...

So I have to buy it :Bowen:

that’s probably my issue then - how do I do that?

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to be clear the studio position is not to release changelists between Early Access versions and full versions. 

Appreciative that other games have different approaches and like every year, the viewpoints made within the community this will be fed back to those that make the decisions on our approach. It is clear from some of you here that some people would like to have more information, so appreciate the feedback on that. 

What we are looking to do is update issues via our Bug Tracker to indicate when an issue is resolved over the next few days where possible. 

My suggestion then, is make a mega thread here in the general forum with a link to each bug you address for easier access to viewing. It's not much, but it's better than the nothing we get right now. More insight into the development practices at SI might help with the discontent on the complete lack of transparency. 

3 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

How strange. Maybe try validating the local files in Steam (right click on the game, properties, local files, validate) and try again. If not then raise a bug over here - All Other Issues - Bug Tracker - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com) I don't have the game available in front of me at the minute to test to myself I'm afraid. 

Followed the steps, gone back into the Editor and it appears that Emery etc are all now at their new clubs once again as they were from the start. How strange!

3 minutes ago, wazup said:

Quick question, when a bug is found how quick do people think it takes for a fix to be made and rolled out?

A day?
A week?
A month?
3 months?

There will be multiple steps any code change would have to go through and pass before being rolled out. It isn't a case of change one bit of code and bobs your uncle. There are ramifications on any code you change.

Last year the pass completion % issue was never fixed for the entire year. So it’s possible that whatever you report as a bug may not be fixed for the entirety of FM23. 

1 minute ago, Fritz13 said:

So I have to buy it :Bowen:

that’s probably my issue then - how do I do that?

FM Menu > Downloads. Should be available from there.

3 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

What we are looking to do is update issues via our Bug Tracker to indicate when an issue is resolved over the next few days where possible. 

This is good. Doing this makes sense. But for everything that has already been resolved (between Beta and Full) this should be listed so we know what has and hasn't been addressed. We've been play testing the game for over 2 weeks, and SI, Miles & Football Manager have openly said many times how important it is to get thousands of different people testing the beta out and reporting bugs, something that would be impossible for SI staff to do without thousands of us reporting and "trying to break the game" like they have stated before.

We've done that. Many bugs found and reports. Now we should be told what SI have fixed in the last 2 weeks.

Its not too late for SI to put out a changelist today...

Can someone confirm if this a bug or feature?

In contract negotiations for new signings, I'm unable to progress to the salary screen if I select the 'Star Player' role without any additional promises. 

In the screenshot below, you can see with no promises the button to progress is greyed out. 

If I stack an additional promise, e.g. takes freekicks, the button becomes available to suggest. 

If I select a less important role, e.g. Squad Player, the button becomes available to suggest even without an additional promise. 

There are no other salary constraints or excessive number of Star Players which would inhibit this. 

image.png.fc691d880847a978d2bf329eac95e533.png

1 minute ago, eye-switcher said:

Thanks for replying, but to give him random attributes seem to be missing the ball, but i don't know how that works, maybe you are forced to set them to random, but his physicals are **** in my game and he is quite a physical player so if its not random then i don't know why they are low. 

Not all attributes are random. I don't give him the random attributes you refer to if that's where the confusion is. He is allocated random attributes by the AI. He came from Celtic with random attributes as the Celtic AR may not have seen enough of him as he did make a big leap from schoolboy to first team there. I hope to change that as he continues to progress at a higher level with more game time. I reiterate don't get carried away with his attributes but his performances and development at that level. I've not 'missed the ball', the more I see him at this level (or even higher), the more accurate the range of his attributes will be.

3 minutes ago, BrightLad5 said:

But for everything that has already been resolved (between Beta and Full) this should be listed so we know what has and hasn't been addressed. 

This. If SI consider something to be fixed but it isn't people need to know whether they should submit a new report or not. 

7 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

LOL, what inflationary pressures exist on a piece of software that already exists? 

As you asked its an easy one that applies to most companies, not just IT ones. The software will need to be updated each release, you may not notice but the database will change most years so the editor will need to also

• People and their wages
  • Development costs including licencing
  • Cost of premises rent / electric / heating

Ive not looked at Steam software but I would expect in general Steam software DLC and add-on prices will have increased over the years for all / most products

My point was not inflammatory but just highlighting that software vendors suffer the same as all companies and individuals do with inflationary pressures.

My preferred way of looking at price jumps is to compare i) game price plus add-ons ii) number of hours enjoyment you get iii) cost of a night or 2 in the pub. 

I'm very happy with this years release.

I have played every version of FM  on Full 90 minutes match highlights from start to finish and think I am well positioned to opine on Match Engines.

The Match engine is very nice and entertaining so far this version, Players looking more like their real life counterparts.

Nice movements and passing patterns and really responsive changes from tweaks.

I was hoping the ME wouldn't change too much from the Beta.

1 minute ago, bobbyb12345 said:

This. If SI consider something to be fixed but it isn't people need to know whether they should submit a new report or not. 

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that bug logs would get updated

1 minute ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

Not all attributes are random. I don't give him the random attributes you refer to if that's where the confusion is. He is allocated random attributes by the AI. He came from Celtic with random attributes as the Celtic AR may not have seen enough of him as he did make a big leap from schoolboy to first team there. I hope to change that as he continues to progress at a higher level with more game time. I reiterate don't get carried away with his attributes but his performances and development at that level. I've not 'missed the ball', the more I see him at this level (or even higher), the more accurate the range of his attributes will be.

Thanks for taking the time, his development is sky high for sure, i understand , i do feel however his physicals should be amended, technical attributes tend to fluctuate with growth but physicals at base level seem higher than what is reflected in game.

I try to be as neutral as possible :)

2 minutes ago, Os said:

I have played every version of FM  on Full 90 minutes match highlights from start to finish and think I am well positioned to opine on Match Engines.

The Match engine is very nice and entertaining so far this version, Players looking more like their real life counterparts.

Ever seen a goalkeeper get sent off? ;) 

1 minute ago, angelo994 said:

Okay you say this, but there are the same issues that have been flagged for the previous 3 years. How can we be happy with that?

Ok lets look at the Staff issue with big clubs, they have more staff than allowed when they start the game. 

SI are aware of the issue. However, there area number of other issues which Si are aware of.

I imagine a review into the issue comes back, we will have to redesign and build the whole module. which will take x number of developers around x amount of time. However, Resources are limited. A priority list is drawn up.  It is marked as low priority. There more important bugs which may not be as visible as this one which are getting worked on. 

This isn't a game breaking issue, it is annoying I agree. But SI don't have a magic wand

7 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

Can someone confirm if this a bug or feature?

In contract negotiations for new signings, I'm unable to progress to the salary screen if I select the 'Star Player' role without any additional promises. 

In the screenshot below, you can see with no promises the button to progress is greyed out. 

If I stack an additional promise, e.g. takes freekicks, the button becomes available to suggest. 

If I select a less important role, e.g. Squad Player, the button becomes available to suggest even without an additional promise. 

There are no other salary constraints or excessive number of Star Players which would inhibit this. 

image.png.fc691d880847a978d2bf329eac95e533.png

The issue here if you read the agent's chat is that the player has major reservations / has better options elsewhere. The agent is suggesting you need to sweeten the pot more than the player just being regarded as a star player

3 minutes ago, Os said:

However, defenders who dribbled stupidly and lost the ball, defenders who couldn't respond to long kicks, had to improve.
It is very disappointing to officially release without modifying the basic problems of ME.

2 minutes ago, Os said:

Ever seen your opponents forward surge through your central defenders whilst they just stand there watching him? ;) 

10 minutes ago, Just4Downloads said:

Last year the pass completion % issue was never fixed for the entire year. So it’s possible that whatever you report as a bug may not be fixed for the entirety of FM23. 

doesn't that tell you that it was not as easy issue to fix. I find it funny when people say the developers don't care about the game, I'm sure every game studio would love to release a perfect game at lunch but that's not possible.

if there is a certain bug in the game that needs fixing and it takes 2 years to fix, complaining about it won't get it fixed any quicker 

18 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

I do and they're all in my save (fired up today).

Just now, DarJ said:

doesn't that tell you that it was not as easy issue to fix. I find it funny when people say the developers don't care about the game, I'm sure every game studio would love to release a perfect game at lunch but that's not possible.

if there is a certain bug in the game that needs fixing and it takes 2 years to fix, complaining about it won't get it fixed any quicker 

But they provide hardly any feedback? You report the issue, they respond soon after to say they are looking at it, and then the bug thread is empty for the entire year after that. Even if you comment again for an update, you will hardly get any response in the tracker. So what else can people do but “complain” as you say? 

2 minutes ago, theinfamousmielie said:

Ever seen your opponents forward surge through your central defenders whilst they just stand there watching him? ;) 

This. We really need some form of defence width put back in,  as the inside / outside funnelling does not help and generally DCs are shocking in the regard you mention.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

I do and they're all in my save (fired up today).

Seemed to be a weird glitch on my end then as they were in the Editor at their new clubs when I fired it up at 1am UK time, then they weren't this morning. All sorted now by validating the files!

1 minute ago, wazup said:

Ok lets look at the Staff issue with big clubs, they have more staff than allowed when they start the game. 

SI are aware of the issue. However, there area number of other issues which Si are aware of.

I imagine a review into the issue comes back, we will have to redesign and build the whole module. which will take x number of developers around x amount of time. However, Resources are limited. A priority list is drawn up.  It is marked as low priority. There more important bugs which may not be as visible as this one which are getting worked on. 

This isn't a game breaking issue, it is annoying I agree. But SI don't have a magic wand

Yeah, for sure. Adding watches and rings are definitely worthy of developer resource! And those extra animations, phwoar ... without them the game just wouldn't be playable. ;) 

(Yes I know that's an art department thing really)

I'm not saying that every issue is on the same level, but while _you_ may not think of it as game-breaking... it kinda is, because it can DRAMATICALLY affect the efficacy of your ability to grow your players etc. It's not only big clubs. Dorking Wanderers in VNL have 9 "coaches" ... out of 4 allowed this year. This makes it impossible to replace them without gutting it even more.

So it's not a "big deal" but at the same time it really is. Just like many other issues. If you don't have enough resource, then hire more people. Hell, put the price of the game up to £39. I don't mind. But fix the issues - or at least be more transparent about what level they're on and if there's likely to be a fix.

6 minutes ago, DarJ said:

Don't usually venture here, but the logic of launching a game with bugs being absolutely fine is a parody. If it's bugged, and those bugs are known, then you postpone the release till theyre fixed, unless you are admitting that you are much more beholden to deadlines set by corporate than the customer who will receive the product, in which case the issue of price comes into focus.

Whilst people are here - anyone who has fired the Pre-Game Editor up or is able to now - do only a small selection of formations appear when looking to change a coaches Preferred Formation? It's a lot less than previous years and feels like a bug...(already put it in Bug Tracker but no response yet)

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 01.12.00.png

8 minutes ago, Just4Downloads said:

But they provide hardly any feedback? You report the issue, they respond soon after to say they are looking at it, and then the bug thread is empty for the entire year after that. Even if you comment again for an update, you will hardly get any response in the tracker. So what else can people do but “complain” as you say? 

That's a fair criticism 

Just now, BenW. said:

Whilst people are here - anyone who has fired the Pre-Game Editor up or is able to now - do only a small selection of formations appear when looking to change a coaches Preferred Formation? It's a lot less than previous years and feels like a bug...(already put it in Bug Tracker but no response yet)

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 01.12.00.png

I belive this in as intended. SI confirmed in the beta thread that they have reduced the number of formations the AI will pick from. Something to do with wanting to make sure players arent used odd roles which you wouldnt see them used in IRL (eg using Mason Mount as a holding CM).

2 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Don't usually venture here, but the logic of launching a game with bugs being absolutely fine is a parody. If it's bugged, and those bugs are known, then you postpone the release till theyre fixed, unless you are admitting that you are much more beholden to deadlines set by corporate than the customer who will receive the product, in which case the issue of price comes into focus.

tell me a single game or software that releases bug free 

1 minute ago, Slippy_ said:

I belive this in as intended. SI confirmed in the beta thread that they have reduced the number of formations the AI will pick from. Something to do with wanting to make sure players arent used odd roles which you wouldnt see them used in IRL (eg using Mason Mount as a holding CM).

Ah - guess that makes a bit of sense. Just want to make managers are as accurate as possible, looked like there was a real lack of formations that include actual central midfielders and not defensive midfielders

3 minutes ago, DarJ said:

tell me a single game or software that releases bug free 

That is not what I said, I said if you *know* that a game is riddled with bugs, why then do you release said game with bugs, in full knowledge that the game will have to be fixed later down the line, whilst at the same time charging people for the pleasure (and a quite high amount, I will add) to play said bugged game. 

Postpone your release, fix the issue that you've acknowledged exists, and then release, or at least keep it in an acknowledged beta state until then.

11 minutes ago, theinfamousmielie said:

Yeah, for sure. Adding watches and rings are definitely worthy of developer resource! And those extra animations, phwoar ... without them the game just wouldn't be playable. ;) 

(Yes I know that's an art department thing really)

I'm not saying that every issue is on the same level, but while _you_ may not think of it as game-breaking... it kinda is, because it can DRAMATICALLY affect the efficacy of your ability to grow your players etc. It's not only big clubs. Dorking Wanderers in VNL have 9 "coaches" ... out of 4 allowed this year. This makes it impossible to replace them without gutting it even more.

So it's not a "big deal" but at the same time it really is. Just like many other issues. If you don't have enough resource, then hire more people. Hell, put the price of the game up to £39. I don't mind. But fix the issues - or at least be more transparent about what level they're on and if there's likely to be a fix.

I think the main issue SI are having is a communications issue. Reading this reply and others.

Do any other games provide road maps for their customers?

That is not what I said, I said if you *know* that a game is riddled with bugs, why then do you release said game with bugs, in full knowledge that the game will have to be fixed later down the line, whilst at the same time charging people for the pleasure (and a quite high amount, I will add) to play said bugged game. 

Postpone your release, fix the issue that you've acknowledged exists, and then release, or at least keep it in an acknowledged beta state until then.

You make it sound so simple. :D

what do they now do if some of the bugs are not fixable in a timely manner?

I'm not on anyone's side as I'm happy with the game despite little annoyances here and there I'm just playing devil's advocate

2 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

You make it sound so simple. :D

Well, it rather is. That's the point, unless we can finally admit that the arbitrary demands of corporate to release a yearly product regardless of quality takes value over the customer experience, a practice often common within a monopoly.

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

what do they now do if some of the bugs are not fixable in a timely manner?

I'm not on anyone's side as I'm happy with the game despite little annoyances here and there I'm just playing devil's advocate

Leave the game in a beta state as mentioned above. Don't go full price release on a product that you've admitted needs fixing in a few weeks time. It's not hard. :D

21 minutes ago, wazup said:

Okay fair enough. But for me it is game breaking. For example, an issue that seems to have been in the last 3 versions of the game (no under 18s in the Scottish leagues, not able to move players back & forth into under 18s, not able to hire under 18s staff) this has totally ruined my Youth only challenge that I have been playing. This is not the first issue I’ve encountered over this 2 week beta. Of course we’ve spoken about the player development bug. Again, a similar issue appears in every release. I just can’t believe the level of quality control that has been put in from SI. We flag bugs, and then flag them again and again. SI responds and then the same or similar bugs are just on the next version of the game? I’m so tired of committing my time to saves, only for big issues and bugs to ruin the save for me.

I really think I’m going to have to take a break from the game for the time being. Looking forward to God of War tomorrow!!