fm23 still too many old players in squads in future and not enough youth development

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mcfc1894 changed the title to fm23 still too many old players in squads in future and not enough youth development

It would be interesting to check their reputation (world reputation). At the beginning of the game (130000 players) there are 2700 players having a good reputation, 662 very good, 164 superb and 5 exceptional. The percentage would be 21 per thousand for good, 5 per thousand for very good and 1 per thousand for superb. If the number of players having these reputations is not kept at a similar level throughout the game, it's normal for the AI to prefer older players.

In a save before the update, this was the ratio in 2039 :

- players having a good world reputation : 830 (29 years and less) and 1276 (30 years and more).

- players having a very good world reputation : 296 (29 years and less) and 510 (30 years and more)

- players having a superb world reputation : 93 (29 years and less) and 196 (30 years and more)

Normally there should be more players aged 20-29 than those aged 30 and over. Obviously, there is a problem. For now there is no save that has fully tested the game containing the update, but probably such a save will appear in the next few days

Edited by GreenTriangle

30 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I'm convinced that it's (at least partly) related to player reputations not growing fast enough. On FM22, there were very few high-reputation youngsters in 2030 compared to at the start of the game, but the reduction of high-CA youngsters wasn't quite as bad.

Indeed it was. Davidincid created a db file that added huge amount of reputation boosts for younger players in an attempt to get them competitive with older players. Not sure how successful it was though.

This has always been an issue, the only reason it effected FM22 is because of older players now lose CA slower causing the imbalance.

1 minute ago, Dotsworthy said:

Indeed it was. Davidincid created a db file that added huge amount of reputation boosts for younger players in an attempt to get them competitive with older players. Not sure how successful it was though.

This has always been an issue, the only reason it effected FM22 is because of older players now lose CA slower causing the imbalance.

Yes, I used Dave's files on my FM22 save. They helped a little by boosting the reputations of some young player awards, but modders can only do so much.

This is very bad news, does it really make sense to continue playing? I haven't finished my first season yet and I'm wondering whether to end it. The problem with AI building the squad really put me off FM22. I wish it had been fixed I am disappointed.

I noticed on the LeoFM thread that his first sim to 2039 still had 8 of the top 12 players in the world were players who existed when the game started which is just incredible to me.Ā 

This is such a big issue and I can't believe it isn't sorted yet. I'm in 2031 on my FM22 save and every time the top 50 players comes up it reminds me how broken this is (currently 2 regens have cracked the top 50).Ā 

Can only think that itā€™s by design at this point to help players ā€˜winā€™ and get small teams up the league.Ā 

If this is addressed it will make long term saves more challenging and hence youā€™ll get fewer ā€˜fm storiesā€™ of players taking teams from the conference to the champions league. Thatā€™s the essence of FM and I can see why they may not want to harm that.Ā 

This is currently the sole reason stopping me buying modern FMs but the lack of communication on it means maybe itā€™s intentional.Ā 

11 hours ago, CFuller said:

This was the main thing that put me off a long-term save on FM22. Big teams and nations over-reliant on older players, and hardly bringing any youngsters through other than the odd generational talent.

It wasn't restricted to national and big teams either, even pottering around the lower leagues, most of the teams had squads with an average age of closer to 30. This is where most of high PA youngsters that were left underdeveloped by the bigger teams ended upĀ  Ā Ā 

I don't think there are many FM players who prefer long careers. There are such players, but I don't think they represent a majority. Many FM players play 2 or 3 or maximum 5 years with a team, then start a new career. And most FM players want to see their favorites, the players they know in real life. Probably some would be surprised if a well-known player would lose his place in the first team because of a 21-years-old newgen.

4 hours ago, mielony said:

This is very bad news, does it really make sense to continue playing? I haven't finished my first season yet and I'm wondering whether to end it. The problem with AI building the squad really put me off FM22. I wish it had been fixed I am disappointed.

Youā€™re being to dramatic. Why donā€™t you play the game for yourself and make your own decision. If you stopped playing is not like the issue is going to be solved anyway (if they do solve it before release then Iā€™ll take back my word)

I just have a problem with people making decisions based on other peopleā€™s commentsĀ 

4 hours ago, DP said:

Can only think that itā€™s by design at this point to help players ā€˜winā€™ and get small teams up the league.Ā 

If this is addressed it will make long term saves more challenging and hence youā€™ll get fewer ā€˜fm storiesā€™ of players taking teams from the conference to the champions league. Thatā€™s the essence of FM and I can see why they may not want to harm that.Ā 

This is currently the sole reason stopping me buying modern FMs but the lack of communication on it means maybe itā€™s intentional.Ā 

I don't think it is that.

The issue in previous FM games was that players turned 30 and their physical attributes kind of dropped off a cliff. It meant that there was little to no use in keeping experienced players as their ability diminished so quickly.

Last season seemed like an overcorrection to the issue- rather than attributes dropping off a cliff they now don't deteriorate enough. So AI teams are keeping squads full of 30-35 year olds as they all remain good enough.

31 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

IRL I'd imagine the overlap between a list of the best players in 2012 and now is minimal- yet in my game the list in 2021 and the list in 2031 is almost the same. That is a big issue.

Our of interest I checked this out based on the 2012 Ballon d'Or list and I would say out of the top 23 players nominated you could make arguments for maybe 4 or 5 who are still some of the best in the world. Pretty low ratio. I doubt on your save the Ballon d'Or nominations only include 4 or 5 top players from 2021.

Ā 

2 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

Itā€™s an issue for youngsters not gain enough reputation; nothing to do with AI choose players with higher CA (thatā€™s normal behaviour).

Ā 

I would say it isn't normal behavior.

A real life manager would not always choose it's best player in all circumstances. Of course one does it more than the other, but this could also be coded as a preference in line with preferred tactic and playstyle.

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

How common is this though? Some teams absolutely do that in real life, so it should certainly be possible, just not common for all teams obviously. Also, was this done before or after the bug fix for player development? That may well affect it too.

I can't speak for 23 but in 22 it was really common, especially with international teams where you'd see lots of squads with about 1 or 2 players under the age of 27/28 at most.

15 hours ago, diLLa88 said:

I would say it isn't normal behavior.

A real life manager would not always choose it's best player in all circumstances. Of course one does it more than the other, but this could also be coded as a preference in line with preferred tactic and playstyle.

It is not normal behavior even in real life managers to pick the best players?

Same happens in FM which is pick with CA (CA is the sum of all attributes).

Again, the problem is in database (not in the code) and need an investigation. If the youth awards get a boost, while older players decline reputation (in small ratio) then AI will pick youngsters more frequently. As we know playing games helps players to develop as well as training etc.

6 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

It is not normal behavior even in real life managers to pick the best players?

Same happens in FM which is pick with CA (CA is the sum of all attributes).

Again, the problem is in database (not in the code) and need an investigation. If the youth awards get a boost, while older players decline reputation (in small ratio) then AI will pick youngsters more frequently. As we know playing games helps players to develop as well as training etc.

Not in all situations no. It really depends on the club, league and type of game.

A premier league team like Man Utd IRL, being in the situation where they are, are inclined to play their best team in every single game because they are not in shape to rotate freely (poor squad depth in some positions, poor results in previous seasons, lots of media pressure).

A team who is dominating in their league however can in some cases rotate freely and leave some of their best players on the bench for a game to provide rest, give other players a chance, etc. This is also the case for certain cup games, European games.Ā In FM however, even in those games, the AI usually just picks the best player available - every single time.

Also, some managers IRL are more inclined to rotate than other managers -> pep for example rotates much more frequently than mourinho.

Edited by diLLa88

36 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

a lot:D

Does it address anything to do with the long term challenge at all? For example once you are an established team winning leagues. Are there any changes that gives you an actual competitive rival?

vor 2 Minuten schrieb DP:

Does it address anything to do with the long term challenge at all? For example once you are an established team winning leagues. Are there any changes that gives you an actual competitive rival?

Read my thread, watch my videos and you'll understand it a lot more :)

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Daveincid

I thought this is something that they worked on for FM23, clearly not. This is just game ruining and how they could not address this is baffling. It shouldn't be down to modders to try and fix, its very poor from si tbf

Edited by JamieTC13

3 horas atrƔs, JamieTC13 disse:

I thought this is something that they worked on for FM23, clearly not. This is just game ruining and how they could not address this is baffling. It shouldn't be down to modders to try and fix, its very poor from si tbf

Has this been reported in the bug tracker?

Edited by tozequio

3 ore fa, Mcfc1894 ha scritto:

I bet a beer we won't see any relevant change on this at all this version, will be probably an "headline feature" for FM24

19 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

I bet a beer we won't see any relevant change on this at all this version, will be probably an "headline feature" for FM24

Something as trivial as this should not be a headline feature. It's more of a bug with manager AI, reputation system and player growth/development.

16 hours ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

Something as trivial as this should not be a headline feature. It's more of a bug with manager AI, reputation system and player growth/development.

To be fair i think it was terrible this year for the features and i have seen so many of the big football manager youtubers proper slating the game features this year as well, they have just done a new video about how bad they think it is this year

Ā 

So what im reading is that if you want to do a long journeyman or a Vanarama to PL save which will encompass more than a decade, we better wait?

Cause basicly all my saves are to bring a small club from the lowest league to the european top (french national, 3rd bundesliga, spanish 4th division, etc...)

Edited by eXistenZ

I wouldn't start any long-term save on the beta (but that's just my preference) - and absolutely not while this is still an issue.

I'm also considering a non-league save. The last time I did one on FM13, it took me 17 years to get a team to the Championship, and the AI squads were pretty well-balanced with mostly newgens. I don't want to get to that point in 2039, where I'm managing in the Premier League or Championship, and most of my opponents' squads are dominated by 30-somethings that I recognise.

I'll run a holiday save over the next few days (with just the English leagues loaded) and see how things are looking.

Edited by CFuller