Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

I'm a soft pro-Monarchist vs Republicanism but the Coverage of this is completely ridiculous. There's so much drivel on TV. It's like they're trying to outdo each other, as they usually do with Poppies. Nothing should have been cancelled outside of events happening in royal parks and palaces

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The_jagster said:

No my point about TV is not that they are the exact same degree of coverage, but that nobody is forced to watch it and the same rhetoric applies. Channel 4's schedule across its channels is showing as normal atm so if people want to watch something else on TV they can.

I don't think people are complaining about what the coverage is like now, but rather what it was like on the thurs/fri/sat, which was bonkers. 

I just don’t get why paying respect to the Queen for these people means queuing 6+ hours, sometimes overnight, for a chance to briskly file through a room with an empty box in it. I feel like most of them are just gawpers that want to be a part of it all. It’s really morbid and creepy to me.

17 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I feel like most of them are just gawpers that want to be a part of it all. It’s really morbid and creepy to me.

It's weird watching the live stream of it. Some people you can tell are there taking it seriously, bowing to the coffin, making a prayer that sort of thing, others do just seem to be wandering through looking a bit gormless. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

It's weird watching the live stream of it. Some people you can tell are there taking it seriously, bowing to the coffin, making a prayer that sort of thing, others do just seem to be wandering through looking a bit gormless. 

I watched it for a bit and was expecting at some point to hear Chris Cash say "Prince Andrew has entered the diary room", or similar. 

But yeah, I don't think there is much chance she is really in there at all. At least the Soviets put Stalin on display, that's the sort of thing I would have expected.

8 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

There’s undoubtedly people that are genuinely emotional about it but the vast majority are just treating it like an ‘event’.

Won’t be long, if it hasn’t happened already, before the BBC are commenting on the “blitz spirit” in the queues and crowds.

Edited by Weezer

12 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Funny how people's takes are so different, ours are very opposite.

I feel like the people bowing to the coffin are unsure what to do and are just copying others they've seen bow previously and that all looks very odd and not genuine to me.

Others wandering through looking gormless as you say is what I'd expect though as that's how I'd expect myself to be but that's because of the sense of occasion and history, I'd be deep in my thoughts and contemplating the scale of it all therefore looking more gormless but really feeling everything.

I wish I was working on Monday. The TV channels were already going to be horrendous, and I've just noticed that even the Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels are showing the bloody funeral.

Thankfully, the forecast looks OK, so I might sit in the garden all day with a book and a beer. Unless that is being disrespectful, of course.

I am impressed by how well behaved everybody has been. Not that I’m watching it but I’m guessing if somebody had dabbed or given the coffin the middle finger I’d have heard about it by now and they’d currently be strung up from London Bridge.

4 minutes ago, Anthrax Dave said:

I wish I was working on Monday. The TV channels were already going to be horrendous, and I've just noticed that even the Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels are showing the bloody funeral.

Thankfully, the forecast looks OK, so I might sit in the garden all day with a book and a beer. Unless that is being disrespectful, of course.

Can't even go to the gym until the afternoon as they're closing for the funeral. Everything is completely shutting down and there is basically no option than to go for a walk somewhere if you don't want it forced down you.

I'm going up to queue tonight. Aiming to get there around midnight and then travel back home in the morning (sleeping's for wimps). 

I get why some people may feel it is a waste of time but it's a historical occasion and something to tell the grandchildren. 

6 minutes ago, AK22 said:

I'm going up to queue tonight. Aiming to get there around midnight and then travel back home in the morning (sleeping's for wimps). 

I get why some people may feel it is a waste of time but it's a historical occasion and something to tell the grandchildren. 

Even the last part is odd to me. 

'You saw the queen's body granddad?'

'Well, no'

'Well, what did you see then?'

'A box with a tea cosy over it.'

44 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I mean I'll be honest, if the queue was an hour or 2 I'd probably head down there, it is history.

This is how I feel, it's too far to go to, then queue for any length of time, but if it came down dramatically over the weekend I'd consider it

British Cycling has apologised for issuing guidance that told cyclists they should not use their bikes during the Queen’s funeral. In a social media post on Thursday it said: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong.”

Missed this :D. Can't believe they said no cycling, man. Mad country.

Edited by Smallen

1 hour ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Have they said how long the service goes on for on Monday?

I think the service in the Abbey is about an hour, seems to go from 11am to midday from what I've read

TV will be following the procession of the coffin from Westminster Abbey to Wellington Arch and then more likely on to Windsor for the commital service.  Not sure if cameras will be allowed in the Chapel but they've been for most of it so maybe they will.  Would say the only thing they aren't allowed at will be the private service to bury the Queen in her dad's chapel alongside him, her mum, sister and husband in the evening

2 hours ago, Rafalution said:

I don't think people are complaining about what the coverage is like now, but rather what it was like on the thurs/fri/sat, which was bonkers. 

I can understand the point but even then a casual glance at my Sky guide showed that only about a dozen or so channels were involved, while nearly 300 weren't. Plenty of choice if you didn't want to watch.

Imagine queueing for 30 hours then ending up in the second row. Nightmare. 

The idea you have to be there to "pay respects" is a myth. As the verb itself

That said, with a view to hypocrisy, I have been to see my dad's grave at least twice 

Edited by Christmas

I did turn on the BBC website stream for 5 minutes earlier to see what it was like. The crowd in the queues was 99% white people, but they zoomed in on the 2 black people in the crowd to try and make it seem like a diverse group of people had come to pay respects, was kind of funny.

2 hours ago, Sons FC said:

I can understand the point but even then a casual glance at my Sky guide showed that only about a dozen or so channels were involved, while nearly 300 weren't. Plenty of choice if you didn't want to watch.

It's going to be on every single Sky Owned channel.

That in itself is bonkers.