Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Humour has been cancelled as a mark of respect

The thing is, they actually have!  The terrestrial TV stations aren't allowed to show any comedy programmes until after the funeral!  Utterly bizarre.

3 hours ago, oche balboa said:

Its not about you guys 

Then tell them to stfu about her being our Monarch then and allow those not bothered to enjoy their weekends how they wish. By the way if the Queen had a choice, she'd be heading to the races instead of wallowing in grief over someone they didn't know. and Phillip would have loved nothing better than a quiet, private funeral away from gawping strangers.

The fuss and blanket coverage with all enjoyment cancelled is for the benefit of the flag waving monarchists who are the same odd balls who attend funerals of people they don't know. The Royal Family only comply with it to show that there is a reason for them, and we wouldn't manage without and to maintain their lifestyle at our expense.

3 hours ago, anagain said:

I saw on BBC news just now that Putin has sent a message of condolence.

I didn't expect that but they said he quite liked the royals and met them a lot.

Well, he knows what it's like to lead a country that claims to be a democracy yet makes it impossible to remove the head of state. King Putin.

Just now, Rafalution said:

The queen used to shake hands before she became too frail to, too. Not really risky

Didn't really shake hands with a random bunch of people that her security didn't have chance to clear, not very often anyway.

Just now, Weezer said:

Oh god, when football returns (potentially 3 whole weeks after her actual death) there’s going to be endless ceremonies and displays of how hard each club is respecting Liz before every game isn’t there?

When football is back I don't want to see any respecting, they had that chance, we did our respecting in its absence like they wanted  

10 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

When football is back I don't want to see any respecting, they had that chance, we did our respecting in its absence like they wanted  

If we did the national anthem at the weekend it would be genuinely quite nice. Any chumps trying to do it in 3/4 weeks? Count me out fellas.

2 hours ago, decapitated said:

Planet Rock played classical funeral music for 12 hours after the announcement of the Queens passing and is now playing the same two dozen classic rock ballads on a loop from the look of things. https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/playlist/ Usually they go for a no repeats in 24 hours policy so this is quite a departure even without adding in the musical restrictions. I can see them and plenty of other radio stations losing both listeners and advertisers (for no one is running ads) for the next fortnight so they'll be losing quite a lot of money.

Didn't play Robbie Williams did they?

28 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I think the Premier League jumped the gun here and now look a bit silly.

Obviously I guess it’s too late now, but I wonder if in the last couple of hours, when nothing else followed suit they considered reversing the decision 

I also feel like the PL have completely misread the room on this and jumped the gun. Think they were worried about how it would look if they were the only ones who didn’t cancel, now all the other sports are going ahead and most football fans seemed dismayed at the decision I reckon they’re already regretting it.

Edited by MIR17

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Obviously I guess it’s too late now, but I wonder if in the last couple of hours, when nothing else followed suit they considered reversing the decision 

Maybe I'm cynical but I honestly think because they assumed everyone else would cancel they wanted to be the first for the PR and now they just look stupid. 

Just now, darren1983 said:

Maybe I'm cynical but I honestly think because they assumed everyone else would cancel they wanted to be the first for the PR and now they just look stupid. 

Reminds me of when covid happened and most major European leagues paused but Macron said straight away, that’s it, it’s done, the French league season is over. Felt like he was trying to make a statement at the time and look decisive but looked stupid in June when all the other leagues were starting playing again 

2 hours ago, metal_guitarist said:

Clearly the VAR official last night was too busy mourning to do his job :D

All it showed was Nicholas Witchell he changed the channel and it ended up on ITV. If not, then how disrespectful were UEFA in showing a constant live feed on the VAR screens

1 hour ago, sc91 said:

Rugby is on. I mean, the upper class still need a fix. 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Blame the premier league and EFL, it was left to individual organisations. Rugby is off today and on tomorrow/Sunday 

Here in Wales where Rugby is very much a working class game, all rugby and football has been cancelled.

The final friendly games in the Pro game have been cancelled ahead of the URC starting next week.

All amateur rugby and football has been cancelled/postponed tomorrow with the WRU & FAW both deciding to do it as a mark of respect.

Was looking forward to going to see my local side tomorrow too as I missed last week's game due to the Wrestling.

Kids rugby can go ahead though, not seen anything on kids football yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/09/shamrock-rovers-condemn-fans-for-chants-about-queen?

Shamrock Rovers have condemned their fans who engaged in “highly insensitive and callous” chants on Thursday night celebrating the death of the Queen.

The singing occurred during the Dublin club’s Europa Conference League stalemate at home to the Swedish club Djurgården.

“Shamrock Rovers FC has been made aware of chants by a group of individuals at last night’s game,” the club said in a statement. “Such highly insensitive and callous chanting is not acceptable at our club and is against the values that Shamrock Rovers FC stands for.

“Our ground regulations issued on match tickets and on signage at entry strictly prohibit such activity.

“The following is also announced over the PA system before all of our games in Tallaght Stadium: ‘Shamrock Rovers Football Club welcomes all supporters to its grounds and condemns any form of bigotry and discrimination in soccer. Shamrock Rovers Football Club does not condone hostile abuse of individual players, spectators, or officials based on ethnic or cultural background, nationality, or religious affiliation. Those found to be involved in any such behaviour will face ejection from the ground and will be reported to the Gardaí.’”

Just now, Jisntdaman said:

I give it three hours before we get: 'After consultation with His Majesty King Charles III, the FA can confirm that all football fixtures will go ahead this week, with tributes and a minutes silence to be held before each game'.

They got spooked, jumped the gun, expected everyone to follow (which is usually the case tbf) but hardly anyone did and now they're screwed. 

27 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

I know they don't have relationships with family like we do but not a chance in hell I could have done what Charles just did the day after my mum died.

Possible that they deliberately don't have that kind of relationship so that they can do that sort of thing.

Kind of sad in a way.