Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

12 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

Matches with the London clubs are going to be a nightmare on public transport this weekend, can see them calling them off because getting to them will be difficult for fans. 

Always the case though, Central is a headache at the best of times. Dreading travelling across to go visit my family later today. Going to be tourists everywhere.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

No he's not, not yet and not automatically. 

He probably will be but it's a discretionary title bestowed on their first born by the reigning monarch. 

It'd be interesting on who he'll be supporting in a Wales V England football match as President of the FA and Prince of Wales considering he supports Wales in the Rugby. (His mother was very fond of a Carling during the 90's). And to throw another contradiction into the works he might become Duke of Edinburgh too. 

1 minute ago, Garethjohn79 said:

It'd be interesting on who he'll be supporting in a Wales V England football match as President of the FA and Prince of Wales considering he supports Wales in the Rugby. (His mother was very fond of a Carling during the 90's). And to throw another contradiction into the works he might become Duke of Edinburgh too. 

He will be the Prince of Wales 

Just now, JJ72 said:

who is it about then Oche? Having mourning forced down our throats is about everyone. Let those people who want to mourn mourn (although I just don't understand why people seem to care more about a woman they hardly knew more than their own family)

Some people want to just get on with their lives.

Then why don't you just not come into this thread? Or when you go on the sports pages, just scroll past it?

Seriously, why are you so angry over it?

2 minutes ago, MaxeyN17 said:

Then why don't you just not come into this thread? Or when you go on the sports pages, just scroll past it?

Seriously, why are you so angry over it?

It's JJ, he's always angry, this just gives him a channel to vent it

3 hours ago, Tony7 said:

I was thinking the same last night at work. I was thinking it would be better play upbeat songs, songs she may have liked and celebrate her life and achiements 

The song she last heard in the 1950's that most of her ''subjects'' haven't but are hearing the new version is ''God Save the King'', I'm wondering if she was ever that enthusiastic on ever hearing that one again.

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

That’s genuine misery though. We’re not engaging in a pissing contest to see who can grieve the hardest :brock:

The problem is however much we suspect it's a performance I can't know that so-and-so isn't genuinely affected emotionally.

I can recall being slightly down when Richie Benaud died for example when most celebrity deaths don't really affect me at all.

Just now, The_jagster said:

The problem is however much we suspect it's a performance I can't know that so-and-so isn't genuinely affected emotionally.

I can recall being slightly down when Richie Benaud died for example when most celebrity deaths don't really affect me at all.

Yeah my mum barely knows who celebrities are let alone cares about them, I remember her being absolutely rocked by Diana's death. 

It's the poppy police all over again except this time x10. I'll go back to not watching the test match then.

And waiting for an important document allowing me to get married which will now be delayed even further because everything should shut down. including apparently my browsing of this forum. 

1 hour ago, Gricehead said:

They don't change post boxes, even in a planned phased manner. That's why you'll still find boxes with Royal Cyphers right back to Queen Victoria

Any new ones will have a new CIIIR Royal Cypher (except in Scotland where new post boxes haven't had royal cyphers since around 1953 because some Scottish people reacted badly to QEII being called QEII).

Covid and the running community taught me more about post boxes than I ever wanted to know

Quite right Gricey. Only new post boxes will carry the new royal cipher.

3 hours ago, profii said:

There's gonna be loads of people who have no idea what to do, like radio producers who have some kind of influence over a wide range of people but this has never happened before - probably not high enough up the media food chain that you get a proper briefing and they have to wing it. Country will be a bit lost for a few more days yet 

I think it's all ok, people are gonna do what they need to do

They must have short memories or haven't been in the job that long, but we've had a trial run last year and at least two occasions since 97 and the BBC at has had it planned for at least 20 years. In fact, it was almost 25 years to the week that her ex-daughter-in law was buried which is when 24-hour news coverage and mass outpouring of grief started to be televised on every channel, in those days many still only had four channels, so it was even harder to avoid.

1 hour ago, Sons FC said:

More related consequences - all barristers who are QCs, immediately become KCs, all police (and other services) force badges with EIIR insignia will need to be changed, post boxes, currency, passports and stamps changes will be phased - Charles will face the opposite direction on the coins in accordance with tradition.

The worst thing about them becoming KC's is that their staff will have to endure said KC's banter about how they're now his/her sunshine band. 

3 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

who is it about then Oche? Having mourning forced down our throats is about everyone. Let those people who want to mourn mourn (although I just don't understand why people seem to care more about a woman they hardly knew more than their own family)

Some people want to just get on with their lives.

She was a bedrock of the nation and throughout the world. She was respected and its about her not anyone else really. Sport looks like it will continue so they are not stopping your life's. You don't have to mourn but for people to moan about the news of her death being on the sports pages is absolutely laughable & to mock people moaning is a tad disrespectful. 

5 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

It's the poppy police all over again except this time x10. I'll go back to not watching the test match then.

And waiting for an important document allowing me to get married which will now be delayed even further because everything should shut down. including apparently my browsing of this forum. 

Has it been said by any authority that everything should shut down? Because pretty sure London at least is running full steam today. 

Am I right in thinking they'll move Prince Philip to be with the Queen? Seems a bit strange that he had to be buried (or put in a tomb) somewhere else only to be moved when the Queen died.

Assume it's some tradition about the Queen having to be buried in a virgin grave or something but still seems odd.

Anyway, slept and am surprised I still feel bit numb over what has happened. I did say yesterday that I think it has lot to do with family tree research giving me a stronger connection with family and that my nan, who I grew up close to, was a huge royalist. I do miss her and know how she'd feel. 

But I've always been very sceptical of the royals and their role. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old bastard.

I tuned out entirely from the weddings and Phillip's death but shocked my own self that I have BBC on now.

Mostly it's just chatter in the background, and I would like to know the football plan so I can get my FPL team sorted.

Wall to wall coverage in so many places is a bit much but I wouldn't normally watch TV anyway. I'm sure all you lads that are unhappy it's wall to wall wouldn't normally have the TV on anyway. It'll soon be over. Relax.

I look forward to the weekends footy so I hope it's on. I think it should be. I echo someone else that said it will be nice if we have stadiums full of fans cheering and singing respect. This country usually does silences respectfully and I am sure it will be enforced so at footy games by older fans. 

I do just think we can all allow this for a short while. Its not the 80s and we all have Netflix etc if we want to escape the news. We have music subs and can play something happier.

Anyone getting really angry needs to drink a good old British cuppa and relax a bit.

I am unlikely to watch the funeral and I still have thoughts that the Monarchy needs to change with the times. But, in a way I never expected to feel, I think I can understand why many are saddened. I was sad at the death of Bowie or Sean Lock. Why not Queen Elizabeth II, who I do think was a nice old lady really?

We can all put up with a bit of mourning for a while. Just do it your own way. It won't kill us to see this a few days. 

And that cuppa is a damn good idea actually...off to do so.

Edited by anagain

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

If there’s vaguely related stuff I get it, or possibly the top story. 
But it’s every story. 

And that’s not good, because it allows for important news and info to fly under the radar. Perfect time to bury bad news. 

They've almost left out that the last non-family members to see her alive were the last and current PM, it's 25 years since Diana was buried and the 9-11 anniversary is soon. Wonder if any of these gets a look-in?

5 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Am I right in thinking they'll move Prince Philip to be with the Queen? Seems a bit strange that he had to be buried (or put in a tomb) somewhere else only to be moved when the Queen died.

Most of the major royals from the last 200-300 years are at in the chapel at Windsor Castle.  That's where Philip is already, and where the queen is going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Chapel,_Windsor_Castle#Burials

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Most of the major royals from the last 200-300 years are at in the chapel at Windsor Castle.  That's where Philip is already, and where the queen is going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Chapel,_Windsor_Castle#Burials

Yes, but I believe he will move places in the chapel to be with the Queen?

2 hours ago, Bootador said:

So how has the queen impacted everyone's work so far. We're chosen to not do any outbound/unprompted activity today so a bit of a kicker to the business.

The rail and postal strikes have been called off. So, they might get paid time-off rather than nothing for striking they get an extra couple of holidays for the funeral and coronation or overtime if they work them. The BT TV advert staff seem to have taken a few days off already. 

10 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

She was a bedrock of the nation and throughout the world. 

People keep saying this but actually her, or at least the notion of a British queen, is reviled across most of the world. 

Just because privileged celebrities, TV hosts, etc in other countries know it is on their interests to say nice things, for the large part of the world's working class, in particular in the former colonies, the Queen represents the evils of colonialism. Even if they wish her no personal harm, hundreds of millions of people actually don't love of respect her at all. 

The idea she was loved globally is vile British colonialist exceptionalism. 

I've lost count of how many politicians have deemed themselves able to 'speak on behalf of the country/UK/World" when expressing universal love for her. There is no such thing. 

To be clear, I take absolutely no joy in the death of an old woman. It is the sanctimonious reaction to it that makes me angry. 

22 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I’ve no doubt some people are genuinely upset, but I’d like to think it was obvious my comment wasn’t aimed at them.

6 minutes ago, VP. said:

20220909_112408.jpg

I've noticed the same people that cry about cancel culture every time a right wing racist/transphobe is called out, are actively trying to cancel Sinclair and Kevin Bridges, calling for them to get sacked or their shows to get cancelled by venues etc.

1 minute ago, Smallen said:

jj’s (& christmas & celtic_1967) perfectly entitled to moan (yes even in here on the off topic section of the football manager forums!) if he thinks the national mourning program is overbearing imo. I tend to agree and find the whole performance utterly bizarre.

If their moaning offends you then stop being such a snowflake. Free country innit.

I'd take Oche's criticism if it was about me shouting my posts through the letterbox at Balmoral. 

3 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I've noticed the same people that cry about cancel culture every time a right wing racist/transphobe is called out, are actively trying to cancel Sinclair and Kevin Bridges, calling for them to get sacked or their shows to get cancelled by venues etc.

Quite a number of people who whinge about "wokeness" and not being able to say anything anymore absolutely seething with Sinclair.