Best players of the World Cup

noikeee

I'm a bit surprised we haven't had this thread yet! Who do you think have been the best players of the competition and/or is on the running for the award for best player in the competition?

So far I would say

Coutinho, Willian - for Brazil they have impressed me more than Neymar, Coutinho had a wonderful group stages and Willian was superb against Mexico

Mbappé - the performance against Argentina was one of the better individual performances of the tournament although I didn't think he had a great group stage?

Hazard - the system for Belgium seems to be built more around him than a KDB that is misfitting at the base of midfield, and this has let Hazard play well if not perhaps at an extraordinary level

Modric - Croatia's best player hands down

Kane - when you've got 6 goals before the quarter-finals, you're a candidate even if most of the goals are penalties

Cavani - gone missing the first 2 matches, but the performance against Portugal was superb, 2 fantastic goals

I would like to mention a few defensive players too, but frankly I don't have a very good eye for them, am always watching games looking more at who creates than who destroys so that is difficult for me.

Luka Modric has been outstanding for Croatia (that penalty miss aside) and is probably my player of the tournament so far. Ivan Rakitic has also generally done very well for them in midfield, I feel.

Defenders are often overlooked at major tournaments, but I agree with those who mentioned Diego Godín as one of the best players. Time after time, he has been rock-solid for Uruguay, and it wouldn't surprise me that much if he managed to shut France out today.

Coutinho and Thiago Silva have looked very good for Brazil, likewise Kanté for France and Golovin for Russia.

Kieran Trippier and Jesse Lingard have impressed me the most from an England perspective, but Harry Kane's scoring record can't possibly be ignored.

1 hour ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Trippier has been England's stand out performer tbh.  Would be amazed if he didn't make team of the tournament. 

If you told me that a year ago after we sold Walker I would have scoffed but its a fair shout.

Agreed with above mentioned players, but noone mentioned anyone from Brazil's defense.

Silva-Miranda partnership is just stellar. They've looked impressive so far, but noone mentions it because that was expected.

I think they will easily handle Lukaku tonight.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Agreed with above mentioned players, but noone mentioned anyone from Brazil's defense.

Silva-Miranda partnership is just stellar. They've looked impressive so far, but noone mentions it because that was expected.

I think they will easily handle Lukaku tonight.

Good point GmaN.

4 minutes ago, Anthrax Dave said:

Team so far IMHO

Muslera (URG)

Trippier (ENG)

Varanne (FRA)

Godin (URG)

Hernandez (FRA)

Kante (FRA)

Matuidi (FRA)

De Bruyne (BEL)

Hazard (BEL)

Coutinho (BRA) 

Kane (ENG)

Varane over Granqvist? No way.

Modrić over Matuidi.

Cavani instead of Hazard.

Granqvist has been great this World Cup, arguably the best performing CB. He's even made Lindelof look competent. Stones and Maguire has also been great, as well as the Gimenez-Godin combo.

Disappointed with De Bruyne, Pogba has been outshining him a lot. It's like they reverse their clubs and nations role.

Kane and Lukaku looks like the new "Henry vs Van Nistelrooy" for years to come in Premier League, and both have impressed this World Cup.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

Coutinho, Willian - for Brazil they have impressed me more than Neymar, Coutinho had a wonderful group stages and Willian was superb against Mexico

Willian was great against Mexico but not very good in the other games.

Neymar has been improving game after game. I think Fagner is also doing well. And the defense too, apart from the first game.

2 hours ago, Anthrax Dave said:

Team so far IMHO

Muslera (URG)

Trippier (ENG)

Varanne (FRA)

Godin (URG)

Hernandez (FRA)

Kante (FRA)

Matuidi (FRA)

De Bruyne (BEL)

Hazard (BEL)

Coutinho (BRA)

Kane (ENG)

Can probably take Muslera out now.

1 hour ago, PMLF said:

Willian was great against Mexico but not very good in the other games.

Neymar has been improving game after game. I think Fagner is also doing well. And the defense too, apart from the first game.

Yeah was going to say I thought William was an odd choice in the OP. Good against Mexico as you say but that's about it really.

4 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yeah was going to say I thought William was an odd choice in the OP. Good against Mexico as you say but that's about it really.

I haven't watched every game from beginning to end with full attention... didn't even see the Mexico game that long, mostly highlights, I'm going just by the bits I saw... just wanted to get the discussion started.

11 hours ago, noikeee said:

I haven't watched every game from beginning to end with full attention... didn't even see the Mexico game that long, mostly highlights, I'm going just by the bits I saw... just wanted to get the discussion started.

Yeah I wasn't tearing into you or anything, just didn't agree with the Willian suggestion.

19 hours ago, adhikapp said:

Granqvist has been great this World Cup, arguably the best performing CB. He's even made Lindelof look competent. Stones and Maguire has also been great, as well as the Gimenez-Godin combo.

Disappointed with De Bruyne, Pogba has been outshining him a lot. It's like they reverse their clubs and nations role.

Kane and Lukaku looks like the new "Henry vs Van Nistelrooy" for years to come in Premier League, and both have impressed this World Cup.

While Granqvist has been good, he's made close to a half-dozen errors where the other central defender (Jansson and Nilsson Lindelöf) have been forced to rescue him, so I don't think he should be in a World eleven, but hopefully he proves me wrong in the coming match(es).

59 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Jordan Pickford

He will no doubt be named the best goalkeeper of the tournament, unless he makes some huge mistake in the remaining games.

• Administrators

My XI:

Courtois

Trippier

Maguire

Godin

Hernandez

Hazard 

Kante

KdB

Neymar

Kane

Lukaku

Mentions for Golovin, Cheryshev, Modric, Pickford as well this tournament.

1 hour ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

My XI:

Courtois

Trippier

Maguire

Godin

Hernandez

Hazard 

Kante

KdB

Neymar

Kane

Lukaku

Mentions for Golovin, Cheryshev, Modric, Pickford as well this tournament.

Whats the reason for Neymar in your team?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ryan045 said:

Whats the reason for Neymar in your team?

Up until they were knocked out he played pretty well for Brazil (and I went 433) and involved in practically all their goals? Assuming Mbappe performs in the Semi Final then he's probably taking that spot in the XI. 

Tournament's not over yet :D 

Yes, as mentioned in the other thread, Neymar scored twice and made two assists. It may not be a Ballon d'Or performance, but it's still better than most.

Neymar could have done even better though, but he was not 100% fit and also wasted too much time diving and simulating.

Provisional team of the tournament for me:

Jordan Pickford

Marcelo
Raphael Varane
Diego Godin
Kieran Trippier

N'Golo Kanté
Luka Modric
Philippe Coutinho

Eden Hazard
Kylian Mbappé
Harry Kane

8 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Provisional team of the tournament for me:

Jordan Pickford

Marcelo
Raphael Varane
Diego Godin
Kieran Trippier

N'Golo Kanté
Luka Modric
Philippe Coutinho

Eden Hazard
Kylian Mbappé
Harry Kane

I'd have Courtois instead of Pickford and Pogba instead of Coutinho.  But otherwise mostly agree.

So we're onto the final, who's bidding for the Golden/Silver/Bronze Ball?

I believe the only in the running would be Hazard, Modric, Mbappé, Varane or Kanté. Maybe Kane. This rarely awards defensive players so I'm expecting some sort of Hazard/Modric/Mbappé combination although I think Varane and Kanté have done well enough to be on the running.

15 minutes ago, noikeee said:

So we're onto the final, who's bidding for the Golden/Silver/Bronze Ball?

I believe the only in the running would be Hazard, Modric, Mbappé, Varane or Kanté. Maybe Kane. This rarely awards defensive players so I'm expecting some sort of Hazard/Modric/Mbappé combination although I think Varane and Kanté have done well enough to be on the running.

0% chance it'll be Kane.

Between Modrić and Mbappe now I think unless there's a big individual performance in the final.

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

0% chance it'll be Kane.

Between Modrić and Mbappe now I think unless there's a big individual performance in the final.

I think it used to be awarded before the final at least, but only announced at the very end. Which blew up in FIFA's face three WCs in a row, 98 when Ronaldo had that unfortunate seizure before the final and disappeared only for Zidane to score twice - Ronaldo wins the Golden Ball, Zidane not in top 3; 2002 when Kahn wins it then makes a howler in the final; and 2006 when Zidane wins it and assaults a player in the final. :D 

Although I have a vague memory they changed something after that incident to prevent this happening again, they hold off until the final? Still didn't prevent them from giving it to Messi in 2014. :D Although I still insist Messi had a good WC that year, just not best-player-of-the-competition good.

1 minute ago, Anti Spiral said:

Does it always go to someone in the final?  My vote would be Hazard but I don't know if him not being in the final would hurt his chances.

It hurts his chances but it doesn't always go to a finalist, no. 2010 went to Forlán, 1990 went to Schillaci. I think that's the only 2 times in history though.

List of Golden Ball winners

Hazard was outstanding but as a non finalist he'd have to have been significantly better than Mbappé or Modric to have a chance and I don't think that's the case.

Also Modric is always the obvious Croatia pick, but Rakitic has been at least as good really. He ran the midfield yesterday. 

Archived