Best players of the World Cup

noikeee

Modric-Best Player

Mbappe-best young player

best keeper could be anyone of the main goalies from the semi finalists, but thinking about it Subašić for getting through 2 penalty shootouts edges it. 

Modric should also win the Ballon d'Or if Croatia win it.

Hazard by far the outstanding player of the tournament for me, he was always looking to make something happen, worked tremendously hard on and off the ball, his level just didn't drop at all whereas players like Modric and Mbappe have had moments but I don't feel they've been consistently as good as Hazard.

15 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Eh? Griezmann hasn't even been close to being his own team's best player. Similar to Kane, he's looked better in set pieces than open play.

Varane, Lloris, Kanté, Pogba and Mbappe all ahead of him for me. 

e9d.jpg

That's georginho you're talking to, ffs.

Wait, do people think Pickford has a shot at GK of the tournament? 

I could be wrong but that award usually goes to the GK with the most clean sheets, which off the top of my head would be Lloris?

Not that I think he's particularly deserving but a clean sheet against that Belgium attack (still the best in the tournament I believe), as well as against Uruguay, and then also Peru and Denmark. 

I also think Subasic is a more likely shout if it isn't Lloris than anyone else. 

As for Team of the Tournament. Don't be so sure Trippier will get in - Pavard has scored the goal of the tournament and could win the bloody thing in an amazing defence. 

My World Cup Best XI:

Thibaut Courtois

Kieran Trippier / Raphaël Varane / Diego Godín / Jan Vertonghen

N'Golo Kanté / Luka Modrić / Ivan Rakitić

Eden Hazard / Harry Kane / Kylian Mbappé

I'd give the Golden Ball to either Modrić, Kanté or Hazard - probably Kanté right now, as unlikely as that sounds. Mbappé is a certainty for the Best Young Player.

Benjamin Pavard has scored my Goal of the Tournament so far and was unlucky not to make my XI. Lloris and Pogba were also close.

7 minutes ago, CFuller said:

My World Cup Best XI:

Thibaut Courtois

Kieran Trippier / Raphaël Varane / Diego Godín / Jan Vertonghen

N'Golo Kanté / Luka Modrić / Ivan Rakitić

Eden Hazard / Harry Kane / Kylian Mbappé

I'd give the Golden Ball to either Modrić, Kanté or Hazard - probably Kanté right now, as unlikely as that sounds. Mbappé is a certainty for the Best Young Player.

Benjamin Pavard has scored my Goal of the Tournament so far and was unlucky not to make my XI. Lloris and Pogba were also close.

Fair enough otherwise but Harry Kane? He had a poor tournament despite the penalties.

1789055574_WCteam.thumb.JPG.bb850f707d0056c13b9937b28fabd02d.JPG

Lukaku involved in some nice moves, including the step over for my goal of the tournament. I do think this WC has lacked a world class striker on form. Cavani probably second choice.

Hazard had a couple of great performances but I'd go Neymar, despite the theatrics, as much as he does some detestable stuff ... he created most chances, most shots etc.

Mbappe has more to offer, but that performance vs Argentina is my solo performance of the cup to date.

KDB could have been better if he was consistently chosen in his best position... he scored a cracker, laid on some worldy goals ... could be Rakitic or Pogba instead.

Modric has always made himself available to the ball carriers... positive intent with the ball

Kante (to prove I don't always omit the popular choice just to be different).

Wanted more from Marcelo... no one has been outstanding at LB ... Verthongen solid if not inspiring.

Vida ... goal, clean sheet vs Brazil, adapted well vs England as the game went on, looks vulnerable but seems to come up with the goods.

Varane defender of the tournament once Godin and Gimenez were knocked out.

Trippier... good delivery in open play and set pieces...no major mistakes

Lloris, Subasic or Courtois... gone with Lloris, was great vs Belgium...

Don't think kane is one of the best players in the world cup just cause most of his goals were from set pieces and penalty kicks but fact is that he's the top scorer. He's far from a complete Forward...Suarez and Cavani are better, Cavani was the best Striker to me he does wonders upfront on a very defensive team. Modric is this WC player, hands down!
My XI:
GK- Courtois
WBL- Laxalt
WBR-Pavard
CB-Godin
CB-Varane
DM-Kanté
CM-Modric
CM-Rakitic
AFL- Hazard
AFR-Mbappé
SC - Cavani

17 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Hazard by far the outstanding player of the tournament for me, he was always looking to make something happen, worked tremendously hard on and off the ball, his level just didn't drop at all whereas players like Modric and Mbappe have had moments but I don't feel they've been consistently as good as Hazard.

Hazard was fairly poor against Japan, even if he did end up with an assist to his name. Certainly he was very, very good in other games, but you could say the same about the other two. 

Ultimately a lot really ought to depend on whether players turn up (or not) in the final couple of games as well. Kane might earn his place in people's starting 11s if he confirms his Golden Boot with a good game in the loser's playoff, but similarly if Lukaku or Griezmann play well (or Mandzukic outstandingly well) in their final game they walk into the team of the tournament. And who knows which Paul Pogba will turn up, or whether Lucas Hernandez or Vrsaljko can do something to earn the very uncompetitive left back spot.

Just now, enigmatic said:

Hazard was fairly poor against Japan, even if he did end up with an assist to his name. Certainly he was very, very good in other games, but you could say the same about the other two. 

Ultimately a lot really ought to depend on whether players turn up (or not) in the final couple of games as well. Kane might earn his place in people's starting 11s if he confirms his Golden Boot with a good game in the loser's playoff, but similarly if Lukaku or Griezmann play well (or Mandzukic outstandingly well) in their final game they walk into the team of the tournament. And who knows which Paul Pogba will turn up, or whether Lucas Hernandez or Vrsaljko can do something to earn the very uncompetitive left back spot.

Sorry to go in on Kane again but he doesn’t deserve a place regardless of how he plays against Belgium, he’s done nowhere near enough.

He scored a few penalties and tap ins but otherwise was crap. He gets rewarded for his goal scoring with a golden boot award - there’s no need to shoehorn him into a team of the tournament that he’s not even close to. 

4 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Sorry to go in on Kane again but he doesn’t deserve a place regardless of how he plays against Belgium, he’s done nowhere near enough.

I agree 100% on Kane... but at the same time 1) everyone is being asked their opinion... so if eni or others wana put him in that's fine* 2) you haven't told us your team yet :D 

*they will say scoring penalties is a good skill... have to be there for the tap-ins... he worked hard (albeit well out of position so in my opinion didn't affect the game anywhere near as much as id expect from our one world class player).

4 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I agree 100% on Kane... but at the same time 1) everyone is being asked their opinion... so if eni or others wana put him in that's fine* 2) you haven't told us your team yet :D 

*they will say scoring penalties is a good skill... have to be there for the tap-ins... he worked hard (albeit well out of position so in my opinion didn't affect the game anywhere near as much as id expect from our one world class player).

Same as the one I quoted above except for Lukaku at striker.

If he finishes the World Cup with 7 or 8 goals he'll probably be in the team of the tournament for a tournament where few forwards have excelled, even if he did look tired in the last two knockout games. Klose finished in team of the tournament in 2002 and 2006 whilst scoring fewer goals in similarly routine fashion against mostly weak opposition, and didn't contribute much in the rest of his game either. As I said, Lukaku who's generally been better in open play has plenty of scope to be in there instead (but probably not if he misses a couple of good chances and finishes fourth) and Griezmann and Mandzukic who haven't exactly been at their best either have the chance to win the tournament for their team. 

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Klose finished in team of the tournament in 2002 and 2006 whilst scoring fewer goals in similarly routine fashion

How dare you! Klose made the right runs and was clinical finisher. Didn't rely on pens or tap ins that luck to him from a corner. He got on the end of crosses and through balls.

Kane fashioned his chance to score a decent goal vs Croatia ... and ended up making the two worst misses of the tournament in a couple seconds of each other.

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

If he finishes the World Cup with 7 or 8 goals he'll probably be in the team of the tournament for a tournament where few forwards have excelled, even if he did look tired in the last two knockout games. Klose finished in team of the tournament in 2002 and 2006 whilst scoring fewer goals in similarly routine fashion against mostly weak opposition, and didn't contribute much in the rest of his game either. As I said, Lukaku who's generally been better in open play has plenty of scope to be in there instead (but probably not if he misses a couple of good chances and finishes fourth) and Griezmann and Mandzukic who haven't exactly been at their best either have the chance to win the tournament for their team. 

Klose was much better in open play and I'm not even a big fan of him. Kane is usually much better in the build up but this tournament he's been dreadful, seems to spend his time looking for free kicks.

just to squash the nonsense about Klose ... 0 pens... 1 was from set piece, wasn't a rebound or deflection either.. run from deep to slide in at back post.

15 goals, all scored IN THE BOX (take note Kane), he is in and around the pen spot when Germany get out wide. Phenomenal positioning, movement... strength to beat defenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Ddw96Dv_U

Trippier close for RB. Lloris and Courtois both close for GK. Alderweireld, Godin, Granqvist and Umtiti close for CB. Mbappé, Rakitic, Cheryshev and KDB also close for the attacking positions. 

Just realised I have 3 French, 3 Croatian, 3 Belgian, 2 English. Entirely out of the top 4 teams. Seems deserving. 

Screenshot_20180713-162048_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

just to squash the nonsense about Klose ... 0 pens... 1 was from set piece, wasn't a rebound or deflection either.. run from deep to slide in at back post.

15 goals, all scored IN THE BOX (take note Kane), he is in and around the pen spot when Germany get out wide. Phenomenal positioning, movement... strength to beat defenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Ddw96Dv_U

So yeah, as I said he got in team of the tournament in 2002 and 2006 by scoring five close range goals each time, only one of them not against weak opposition in the group stages. In his first tournament, most of them were uncontested headers against a Saudi team that lost 8-0 (hardly more outstanding accomplishments than winning and scoring a penalty) and what the highlights don't show is that (much like Kane) he struggled to make an impact against slightly more organised but still very average defences in the knockout stages. Wasn't a legend then, but he still made the team because he outscored anyone other than Ronaldo. It'd be difficult to argue Kane had less impact in this tournament if he goes and scores a crucial goal again tomorrow, and goals win awards, even when none of them are worldies and his all-round play obviously hasn't been brilliant. 

56 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Trippier close for RB. Lloris and Courtois both close for GK. Alderweireld, Godin, Granqvist and Umtiti close for CB. Mbappé, Rakitic, Cheryshev and KDB also close for the attacking positions. 

Just realised I have 3 French, 3 Croatian, 3 Belgian, 2 English. Entirely out of the top 4 teams. Seems deserving. 

Screenshot_20180713-162048_Chrome.jpg

Henderson included ahead of Mbappe!? And we all thought you were Scottish!

8 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Henderson included ahead of Mbappe!? And we all thought you were Scottish!

Mbappé has been great in maybe 3 of the 6 games they've played. If he has a great final I'd put him in. 

I tried to pick players who have been more consistent - was between Lukaku, Mbappé and Kane (albeit he was a distant 3rd). 

13 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

So yeah, as I said he got in team of the tournament in 2002 and 2006 by scoring five close range goals each time, only one of them not against weak opposition in the group stages. In his first tournament, most of them were uncontested headers against a Saudi team that lost 8-0 (hardly more outstanding accomplishments than winning and scoring a penalty) and what the highlights don't show is that (much like Kane) he struggled to make an impact against slightly more organised but still very average defences in the knockout stages. Wasn't a legend then, but he still made the team because he outscored anyone other than Ronaldo. It'd be difficult to argue Kane had less impact in this tournament if he goes and scores a crucial goal again tomorrow, and goals win awards, even when none of them are worldies and his all-round play obviously hasn't been brilliant. 

It's not just about the goals though. Klose's all around play is a level below Kane's generally...but at the world cup then vs Kane now it was the opposite.  He was a constant out ball for Germany. 

Kane on the other hand has left it for Sterling to be that and decided to play statues instead.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

It's not just about the goals though. Klose's all around play is a level below Kane's generally...but at the world cup then vs Kane now it was the opposite.  He was a constant out ball for Germany. 

Kane on the other hand has left it for Sterling to be that and decided to play statues instead.

I can only assume he was joking to get a rise out of me the same way bc was about pele. Enigma isnt that stupid

It's easy to forget how poor Germany were in the knockout stages of 2002 and how Klose faded from being hattrick hero to the guy that got subbed off when they were looking for goals as well. Without doing anything spectacular Kane was the out ball all game against a Colombia side we'd have struggled to beat without him and obviously wasn't fully fit after that. More to the point, Kane wouldn't be in contention if every other forward at the tournament hadn't also had ineffective games.

teamoftournamentXI-2fab2fbf3d4a7a19533b0

Stones/Maguire and Kane/Lukaku were pure coinflips. There weren't many standout leftbacks this tournament, so I gone for Vertonghen who played there for 2.5 games. Not exactly impressed by Lucas Hernandez either, so I didn't put him in.

Feel bad that I couldn't fit in Cheryshev or Ronaldo, but Hazard outperforms them this tournament despite scoring less. I really want France to win so all the Pogba doubters could finally shut the eff up. Modric to win the Golden Ball regardless if Croatia wins the World Cup or not. Mbappe to win the Young player award, unless I'm missing someone glaringly obvious.

You could also make a case for either Pickford/Courtois/Lloris/Ochoa for the best keeper, and I won't begrudge you. It's just that Subasic has been absolute key in winning 2 shootouts and keeping England at bay in the semis. 

So Modric won the Golden Ball ahead of Hazard and Griezmann. I'd have given it to Hazard but not a bad choice neither.

In this France were almost a victim of their own collective success, because there wasn't a standout player, I'm even slightly surprised Griezmann made the top 3 here as I didn't think he was that outstanding, although ending up as the Silver Boot as well, just behind Kane with 4 goals and 2 assists, will have helped him. But there was quite a few penalties there etc. But I'm what trying to get at is that France had so many great players this WC - most notably beyond Griezmann IMO, Varane, Kanté, Pogba and Mbappé, that it worked against them in this award. If they had more rubbish players someone would've stood out. :D 

Archived