Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

I wonder if the issue has arisen due to a result of Tottenham usually playing temporarily at Wembley while a new stadium is being built..

I raised this a couple of weeks ago. Was meant to upload a save. Forgot. Will look for it over the weekend.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else finding that there are an awful lot of yellow and red cards? I admit I play with "get stuck in" but in my last game I switched all players on a yellow to "ease off tackles" and still one of them got sent off. I have been fined by the League twice for failing to control players and that's fine but the two games it happened the Referees involved were "moderate" and "sympathetic". Could understand if they were "firm" but 6 or 7 yellows with a sympathetic Referee seems a bit severe.

Anyone else finding that there are an awful lot of yellow and red cards? I admit I play with "get stuck in" but in my last game I switched all players on a yellow to "ease off tackles" and still one of them got sent off. I have been fined by the League twice for failing to control players and that's fine but the two games it happened the Referees involved were "moderate" and "sympathetic". Could understand if they were "firm" but 6 or 7 yellows with a sympathetic Referee seems a bit severe.

Yep. I also can't remember the last time I conceded from any goal other than a cross too.

anyone noticed on 2D mode sudden change of pitch texture after half time? Happens very often to me, just keep forgetting to make screenshots to report it

Noticed this too. Sometimes the colour of the ball also changes from white to orange. If you're watching in 2D, it can be an orange ball, then when you see a 3d replay, the ball is white again. All very X-files esque :p

I am one of those people who likes to run as many leagues as possible at the same time.

Currently I think I'm running the maximum amount the game will allow (309500 players retained and 471 leagues from 199 nations - although only 4 countries currently playable)

It's obviously a bit slow at times but there's a big difference between FM16 and all other previous versions.

Even with the huge amount of players and leagues loaded the game runs remarkably fast and stable.

The only thing that still bothers me is that no one seems to care that game sounds are horrible for lower leagues.

A game in english 12th level sounds like United home at Old Trafford, only at a slightly lower volume.

Can't anybody fix this or at least give the community a way to make new sounds for different levels?

Anyway, I really just wanted to let you know that FM16.2 performance (at least for me) is excellent.

Noticed this too. Sometimes the colour of the ball also changes from white to orange. If you're watching in 2D, it can be an orange ball, then when you see a 3d replay, the ball is white again. All very X-files esque :p

haha probably happens during winter, because I just played about 5 matches in a row and still haven't caught this issue again

Any way to prevent the one shot one goal by the AI? Kind of hard to enjoy the game when every shot on target they have goes in, happens if i'm playing on attack or on counter/defensive.

Worst of all is that the GK never accepts criticism private chat, making me have to replace GKs all the time since they keep getting angry.

if it exists frequently, it is clearly your tactics' problem. Actually, my team also can 1 shot 1 goal. This year, offside bug and crossing are the major problems of the ME.

Just some feedback on penalty shoot outs. So far for me they are unwinnable. Good penalty takers on my side are missing and I haven't seen an opposition player miss one yet.

Sounds like you've been unlucky. I've had quite a few penalty shoot-outs (always seem to get one in the 4th round of the League Cup) - I've won most of them. Also playing as West Ham.

Other problems i noticed are players heading the ball to the opposition for no reason, they have all the time in the world to wait for the ball to stop bouncing or control with the chest, but they keep heading it forward.

Waste time also needs work, i've never seen players go to the corner flag to waste time or keep passing between the defenders, they just keep going forward even with "take less risks".

My young player is out of contract but when I go to offer him a new deal, he rejects because he has recently signed a new contract. This is the second time this has happened this season and I have lost another promising youngster as a result. Any ideas what this problem is? Is it a bug?

Anyone have any idea when the next update is going to be out/when it's been out in previous years? Was loving the game up until this patch. Tried so many times to get back into it but the crosses and poor strikers are driving me insane and making the game boring. I need to play again!!!

Other problems i noticed are players heading the ball to the opposition for no reason, they have all the time in the world to wait for the ball to stop bouncing or control with the chest, but they keep heading it forward.

Waste time also needs work, i've never seen players go to the corner flag to waste time or keep passing between the defenders, they just keep going forward even with "take less risks".

I've actually noticed a vast improvement in this for this year's game. One of my defenders got a yellow card because he took forever to take a free kick for example, and I've also seen the players dawdle on the ball to frustrate the opposition. It's an area that has been improved on for this edition IMO.

I've actually noticed a vast improvement in this for this year's game. One of my defenders got a yellow card because he took forever to take a free kick for example, and I've also seen the players dawdle on the ball to frustrate the opposition. It's an area that has been improved on for this edition IMO.

Still needs a lot of improvement, i just conceded a equalizer because i was countered while using contain + take less risks + take a breather + waste time.

Still needs a lot of improvement, i just conceded a equalizer because i was countered while using contain + take less risks + take a breather + waste time.

Why do you think that those instructions mean you wouldn't be countered?

TBH it puts your team in a prime position to be countered. You are taking your time, making safe passes so as soon as you get caught on the ball the space is there to be countered into.

TBH it puts your team in a prime position to be countered. You are taking your time, making safe passes so as soon as you get caught on the ball the space is there to be countered into.

Because i want them to keep wasting time with the ball without going to attack, like passing to each other in our half or wasting time with one player holding the ball forward near the corner flag. Instead they went forward with everybody and got caught at the back with 1 or 2 guys and conceded, this shouldn't happen while using these instructions.

Anyone have any idea when the next update is going to be out/when it's been out in previous years? Was loving the game up until this patch. Tried so many times to get back into it but the crosses and poor strikers are driving me insane and making the game boring. I need to play again!!!

Hey Robert, as with previous years, it tends to be after the window closes, so I wouldn't expect it until at least then.

Because i want them to keep wasting time with the ball without going to attack, like passing to each other in our half or wasting time with one player holding the ball forward near the corner flag. Instead they went forward with everybody and got caught at the back with 1 or 2 guys and conceded, this shouldn't happen while using these instructions.

But did you give all the correct instructions to make that happen?

Just altering those four things isn't enough, what about all the player roles, duties, PIs etc. Overall it seems like you haven't thought it out properly and have ended up making a few changes then wondering why they aren't playing how you envisage.

Thats before you consider if that was the right course of action in that match at that moment in time.

But that also still doesn't cover the original question, why do you think you shouldn't be countered with those instructions?

When you use these types of instructions you expect your team to not commit men forward so this make no sense considering how many instructions he is using as well.

When you use these types of instructions you expect your team to not commit men forward so this make no sense considering how many instructions he is using as well.

Makes no odds, when have you ever seen a team sit with 10 men on their 18 yard line when they have the ball.

Even teams who are playing safe would usually have 3-5 players just inside their half with the rest further forwards. This still leaves plenty of space behind the defence to be countered into, more if you are playing with a long pitch. The more you keep the ball the more the rest of the team will drift into that type of situation, the alternative is for your team to clear it quickly often giving possession away but leads to a situation where your players don't get forwards leaving you with 9/10 men defending around the edge of your box.

But did you give all the correct instructions to make that happen?

Just altering those four things isn't enough, what about all the player roles, duties, PIs etc. Overall it seems like you haven't thought it out properly and have ended up making a few changes then wondering why they aren't playing how you envisage.

Thats before you consider if that was the right course of action in that match at that moment in time.

But that also still doesn't cover the original question, why do you think you shouldn't be countered with those instructions?

It was five minutes before the end of the match. I changed these instructions and others like retain posession, short passing, lower tempo, dribble less. For player instructions i have two defensive midfielders as BWM one in support and one in defensive. Set get less forward whenever possible, can't really add defensive things to strikers so the best i could do is add hold up ball.

Even then, changing the team instruction should be enough, let's look at the "Contain" description given by the game:

"The aim of this mentality is to frustrate the opposition by reducing space, slowing things down, keeping the ball, wasting time as much as possible and clearing the ball long when out of risk-free options. Unlike the defensive match mentarlity it is not looking to score on the counter-attack, just not to concede. As possession and frustration is the priority, more players than usual will be kept behind the ball."

So why didn't they do this? "Contain" seems to change nothing or this description is flawed. Why are they doing the exact opposite of this description? Also heading the ball forward for no reason when it says there "risk-free" only clearances.

If i need to change everybody individually for the team instruction to have an effect, then what use is selecting it?

[but that also still doesn't cover the original question, why do you think you shouldn't be countered with those instructions?] I replied to that before:

"Because i want them to keep wasting time with the ball without going to attack, like passing to each other in our half or wasting time with one player holding the ball forward near the corner flag. Instead they went forward with everybody and got caught at the back with 1 or 2 guys and conceded, this shouldn't happen while using these instructions."

I'm not sure what to say STS as you don't seem to be taking the hint.

I'll just put it bluntly - There are no instructions/orders/inputs you can give in football or FM that totally eliminates the possibility of a counter attack. Thinking there is is the crux of the matter.

I'm not sure what to say STS as you don't seem to be taking the hint.

I'll just put it bluntly - There are no instructions/orders/inputs you can give in football or FM that totally eliminates the possibility of a counter attack. Thinking there is is the crux of the matter.

So? The problem here is my dudes going forward like crazy when they have the ball and then they get totally countered.

So? The problem here is my dudes going forward like crazy when they have the ball and then they get totally countered.

No the problem is partly your expectations of how football works and partly how instructions are converted into actions on the pitch within FM.

The actions part is not perfect within FM but you could also improve your understanding of what to expect from which instructions, the tactics forum can help you with that.

The expectations part is purely down to yourself though and only you can change that.

No the problem is partly your expectations of how football works and partly how instructions are converted into actions on the pitch within FM.

The actions part is not perfect within FM but you could also improve your understanding of what to expect from which instructions, the tactics forum can help you with that.

The expectations part is purely down to yourself though and only you can change that.

What should i ask in the tactics forum then? How to not get players forward? What do you think the reply will be? My guess would be "choose Cointain."

The description the game gives seems pretty clear to me: "Contain: Focus on defending, play it slow and safe, don't look to score." For comparison: "Overload: Throw all players forward, try desperately to score."

What else do i have to do to not try to score when i pick an instruction that says it doesn't try to score?

Not sure how many of these have already been mentioned but here's a few small things I've noticed:

- 2/4 of the team POTY awards have gone to players who have played 15(0) & 19(4) games. Neither were to highest rated player that season too.

- I signed a 17yo as a 'Hot Prospect' then around 10-15 games into his first season he complained about a lack of starts. I started him more often after and once that satisfied him he demanded a new contract as he was playing more than a 'Hot Prospect' is expected to.

- I asked for a feeder club and the board let me choose, when I went to view the list no clubs appeared and I had a full inbox all saying the board decided against it.

- Players who are listed by request get annoyed when I reject offers equal to market value even though I've told them I'll only sell for a fair price, and they've agreed.

- After defending a set piece that's cleared into the middle of the pitch, the team will bunch up in the middle of the pitch and make no attempt to get back into shape or mark any opponents who have gone wide.

- Players will slow down to almost walking pace when going after a loose ball, usually allowing an opponent to to get close enough to pressure and make them rush the pass.

- I have a player with 18 for Long Throws and the PPM 'Possesses Flat Bullet Throw' and yet every single throw still fails to reach the closest teammate in the box. He either needs to put more on it or the players in the box need to move closer to him.

- This one I'm not sure if im just missing where it's shown. When a player is listed as 'Either' footed, I can't seem to find out what's his dominant foot is i.e. the one he uses on set plays.

Not sure how many of these have already been mentioned but here's a few small things I've noticed:

- 2/4 of the team POTY awards have gone to players who have played 15(0) & 19(4) games. Neither were to highest rated player that season too.

- I signed a 17yo as a 'Hot Prospect' then around 10-15 games into his first season he complained about a lack of starts. I started him more often after and once that satisfied him he demanded a new contract as he was playing more than a 'Hot Prospect' is expected to.

- I asked for a feeder club and the board let me choose, when I went to view the list no clubs appeared and I had a full inbox all saying the board decided against it.

- Players who are listed by request get annoyed when I reject offers equal to market value even though I've told them I'll only sell for a fair price, and they've agreed.

- After defending a set piece that's cleared into the middle of the pitch, the team will bunch up in the middle of the pitch and make no attempt to get back into shape or mark any opponents who have gone wide.

- Players will slow down to almost walking pace when going after a loose ball, usually allowing an opponent to to get close enough to pressure and make them rush the pass.

- I have a player with 18 for Long Throws and the PPM 'Possesses Flat Bullet Throw' and yet every single throw still fails to reach the closest teammate in the box. He either needs to put more on it or the players in the box need to move closer to him.

- This one I'm not sure if im just missing where it's shown. When a player is listed as 'Either' footed, I can't seem to find out what's his dominant foot is i.e. the one he uses on set plays.

I've noticed the se piece defending one too- players really slow to track back and don't seem to actually try and stop the counter.

One highly irritating thing I've just come across and I'm annoyed at myself too. But I missed the inbox on confirming the training camp for whatever reason (I'm usually good at this) and half my players have been left at home and are going mental. I know this is originally my fault but surely the option of being able to add them at a later date like you can with new signings would allow for human error here....Got to start again now :mad:

• SI Staff
I move into New White Hart Lane for the 2018/19 season.

My first game at the new stadium is the Community Shield.

new%20stadium_zpszmobjjxs.png

Hey Stewart91,

I believe this is a known issue, one we are looking into internally.

Any further issues, please do raise them in our bugs forum.

Cheers,

Seb.

One highly irritating thing I've just come across and I'm annoyed at myself too. But I missed the inbox on confirming the training camp for whatever reason (I'm usually good at this) and half my players have been left at home and are going mental. I know this is originally my fault but surely the option of being able to add them at a later date like you can with new signings would allow for human error here....Got to start again now :mad:

In fact I've just restarted and gone through the whole process again and I wasn't even given the option to choose my training camp squad and now at least 7 players are kicking off!

I think there are lots of issues around player interactions, I don't see the problem with this though. Just because you don't see market value as a fair price for a transfer listed player doesn't mean they don't.

What should i ask in the tactics forum then? How to not get players forward? What do you think the reply will be? My guess would be "choose Cointain."

The description the game gives seems pretty clear to me: "Contain: Focus on defending, play it slow and safe, don't look to score." For comparison: "Overload: Throw all players forward, try desperately to score."

What else do i have to do to not try to score when i pick an instruction that says it doesn't try to score?

The instructions are fine, but what about the roles and especially duties? An Attack duty player will still make runs forward often on Contain, just in less risky situations.

Your best bet would be to ask in the Tactics forum detailing exactly what you did.

Anyone else dread being 2-0 up at half time? Any time I am, no matter what I say to them I usually end up drawing the game or losing - usually conceding 2 within the first 15 minutes of the second half. It's starting to get very frustrating that I go from dominating play to looking like semi-pros. I'm actually starting to think that when I'm 2-0 up at half time I should just bring on every defender I have on my bench and go ultra defensive for the next 45 minutes, but that seems like I'd be inviting the attacks on even more.

Anyone else dread being 2-0 up at half time? Any time I am, no matter what I say to them I usually end up drawing the game or losing - usually conceding 2 within the first 15 minutes of the second half. It's starting to get very frustrating that I go from dominating play to looking like semi-pros. I'm actually starting to think that when I'm 2-0 up at half time I should just bring on every defender I have on my bench and go ultra defensive for the next 45 minutes, but that seems like I'd be inviting the attacks on even more.

Also when AI gets a red card, you know you're in trouble :rofl:

This years ME is one of the worst since FM09. And before the holy defenders of the game attack me, it is my subjective opinion.

This years ME is one of the worst since FM09. And before the holy defenders of the game attack me, it is my subjective opinion.

And your subjective opinion needs to be constructive. Saying WHY you don't like something is what's important.

Agree.

All the goals that i see is from a crosess,you just can't score with passes from the middle + the GK from 3-4 yars makes an amazing saves,but when the ball comes for them in a cross,they just tip the ball to their own net

Very frustirng

Goals from crosses need fixing before the january update. My tactics see one of my striker score 30 before xmas for the 3rd season running (at my 3rd club in 3 seasons). Each one a whipped cross comes in and he is stood on his own 1 yard in front of keeper to tap in.

It is so boring but I'm reluctant to change my tactics because ME is broken.

Maybe the stats are borked as only certain tactics lead to this situation, as I score all my goals from the situation above but haven't notice the AI do so against me at all.

My only complaint for this year's ME is the number of offsides, even for the players without "Likes to try to beat offside trap" ppm. I still find the numbers more than it should be after 16.2.0.

Anyone else still finding the number of offsides too many?

I also see current match engine as slightly broken:

- crosses are overpowered so are fullbacks/wing backs. Seriously playing trough wings is best play to score goals because of poor awareness of side defenders and bad positioning on goalkeeper during crosses. Don't know why but my center midfield players make most passes on wings even I instruct them to construct game through middle

- illogical team instructions that I can't figure out: no matter if I set very slow tempo and direct passing or stay very narrow but play through wings I can produce decent results.

Sounds like a team talk issue tbh.

You give them too much praise, other team maybe gets a kick up the arse and suddenly you are in trouble. I would often opt for some sort of don't get complacent HT team talk while you also have to watch for the opposition going more attacking and look to see how you can defend the changes.

My only complaint for this year's ME is the number of offsides' date=' even for the players without "Likes to try to beat offside trap" ppm. I still find the numbers more than it should be after 16.2.0.

Anyone else still finding the number of offsides too many?[/quote']

Must confess I am finding it the opposite but pleasantly surprised with it. In FM15 it was always a frustration as you knew the way the crowd cheered upon a goal that it would be offside. This year I'll score and actually think it's offside but the goal is given. Almost as if the strikers get the benefit of the doubt this year. There again I guess it's how you play and set up as if you have a striker looking to get in behind then offsides are probably a bit more likely. I think the problem could be lateral movement in FM. IRL as a striker yoyu are more likely to bend your runs rather than just run straight onto a through ball.

PS - I think the ME is decent this year. Don't see too many issues with crosses tbh especially since full backs were improved in the previous update. I think we have to be careful here as crosses were decent prior to the final patch last year but then were nuked totally in the last patch meaning that wide play became useless. Let's not make the same mistake this year where a decent ME was ruined on the last patch.

Goals from crosses need fixing before the january update. My tactics see one of my striker score 30 before xmas for the 3rd season running (at my 3rd club in 3 seasons). Each one a whipped cross comes in and he is stood on his own 1 yard in front of keeper to tap in.

It is so boring but I'm reluctant to change my tactics because ME is broken.

Maybe the stats are borked as only certain tactics lead to this situation, as I score all my goals from the situation above but haven't notice the AI do so against me at all.

I've stopped playing till this has been fixed; generally isn't enjoyable at the moment unfortunately

Archived