FM16 - First thoughts on the early disclosures.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit annoyed at some of the UI changes, but the tactical instruction screen for example seems like a huge improvement and the type of visual information we've been craving. The set piece creator also looks it'll be a great addition. As someone who enjoys keeping track of other clubs/players the "TV round-up" highlights sounds very cool and down my alley. Also sure I'll make much use of the new analysis features. So yeah, overall pretty pleased with the additions, just not sure scrambling certain aspects of the UI was needed and it remains to be seen how much of a nuisance that'll be, or perhaps something I'll adapt to quickly.

I brought FM since CH days, never missed any series since 99, I noticed that each version, I've used to play less

FM11 - played 1081 hours

FM12 - played 1050 hours

FM13 - played 906 hours

FM14 - played 601 hours

FM15 - played 537 hours

although i like the game, and I've used to play lower leagues, adding extra leagues/countries too, uploading more than 30 counties usually, i love the game, but during the last 3 versions, I like add/remove leagues as it could give you a chance to change/remove if the game become slower when you play several years, I loved private chats, and new type of news/interviews, BUT the game still didn't developed really apart from 3D and touch line instructions, Most changes were 'skin' changes rather than 'features' ..

I meant, just because there is a screen when i can see 'all transfers negotiations' doesn't mean it's new feature. just because i can chat with my assistant coach to control youth squads, doesn't mean it's new feature, it's just okay in the first days and then become boring. Here are similar issues with FM16, i fully expect new board request screen wouldn't include new type of requests or exciting features.

I've been waiting for ages: realistic training system & realistic resignation process (time/reconsider decision talks) , and probably other things which i mentioned before in wishlist threat but i can't remember.

I like the prozone stats analysis, which looks like I'll be able to break down the analysis in more ways such as time and pitch area. The time one is certainly something I've wanted for a while.

Staff shortlisting gets a small mention, but is one of those features which has seemed obvious for years, but never seems to get suggested (I'm guilty here too). That will be very helpful.

One of the screenshots seems to show a visual breakdown of your tactical settings, which is helpful, and needed. Improved interaction in any area of the games is also welcome to me, along with better injury information.

So yes, some of the headline features are of no interest to me, but I won't knock them as I'm sure there's plenty of smaller things, some already mentioned, some not, which I'll like and will appeal far more. I always find with any game the best time to judge is once you've played it a while, and this will be no different.

I felt the features seemed more the same.

The only feature that grab attention is the Fantasy Draft that will make possible in creating a community kind of league. The Prozone Match Analysis has potential, but i need more infor how it works to provide judgement.

The others are more the same. Manager editor, Meh, i play 2D since 3D fails to interest me. Press Conferences... hate it, since conception and still fail to see interest in it. Match Animations, well it would surprise me if there wasn't any improvements at all. The create-a-Club is simply making it easier what the editor actually does. I just hope it is not an excuse for no FMC Editor this version.

I fail to see the reason why I should spend money on new version. I hope next new features to be announced are more excited then this. We have to wait and see patiently.

Set-Piece Creator

Long-awaited, but let's see how easy it is to abuse and break. FM has a years-long bad track record with exploitable set pieces not being fixed.

Having watched the video for this, it appears to be new UI for the same old instructions as always, but you also have "Routines," which I assume lets you save a variety of set pieces to use? Again, this doesn't feel all that fresh.

I don't get all the hate towards FM16 and SI. You guys have to remember that the game is being released every single year and yet you expect a complete overhaul . Typical sequels are released like 2-3 years apart and with AAA titles there's also a huge budget and thus you get more new content in them. FM series is not an AAA title game and it's being released every year, which means that there's not that much of time to do all the things they may want to. If you compare every third or fourth game in the FM series you will see some major changes and upgrades and that would be the typical cycle for sequels.

And online gaming has been one of the things that hasn't really worked in FM series if you want to play the game with several people. The new Fantasy Draft is a direct answer for that and it also gives everyone an equal chance to build a winning team and no one has an advantage in game and thus it comes down to the managerial skills. It's one of the features I am waiting the most.

People are also very quick to judge the game when there's still solid two months until it's being released and we just saw the first screenshots and four very short video clips of the game. There's still a lot of time to change and improve things and I'm sur SI will keep us updated and this won't be all the changes in game. You can't be disappointed of something that you don't know very much about.

For me, all the new features are totally worthless (except for the new set piece editor)...but I'm more interested in improvements to the core game anyway. FM15 was already pretty great after all. I'm much more concerned by how kindof disgusting everything seems to look in the new interface - particularly the tactics screen which looks truly awful.

I'll wait and try the demo before I make up my mind though. FM15 I skipped initially because I didn't feel like playing FM (because I knew Liverpool would have a crap season mostly, lol :)), but I bought it eventually (a couple of months ago).

Having watched the video for this, it appears to be new UI for the same old instructions as always, but you also have "Routines," which I assume lets you save a variety of set pieces to use? Again, this doesn't feel all that fresh.

Yup, judging by the vid/screen, the only addition seems to be you can have more set piece setups... with the exact same settings as before. Obviously a more detailed look might prove different but I'm not holding my breath.

Also I second your post dissecting the announced changes - more stats feels like the only tangible, useful addition (and possibly the draft thing, but I don't plan to play against friends).

I don't get all the hate towards FM16 and SI.

There's a core of people who think that's the way to conduct yourself on an internet forum.

it's not restricted to SI by any means, you can see it on any games forum and the answer on some (EA for example) is to delete everything critical.

We don't want to go that route but we will be very intolerant of anything which is not constructive or is personally critical of staff or methodology.

SI/Sega have the right to produce and distribute the game exactly as they wish, you have the right to criticise from your personal point of view but need to keep it polite and civilised.

For every feature there will be people who don't see the need and people who have been awaiting the features for years. I accept that and will decide to buy fm16 based on the feature I do want.

Personally I'm not interested in manager creation or fantasy league. But hey, it might cater a need for others.

Ill just wait and see what more is announced and make my decision then.

It is not about the hate, but what features have been announced. For me it fails to wow me. The features announced only two or three really got me thinking in acquiring the game, but it is worth in spending 55 euros on steam for this game? My answer is no, probably around 30 and that is pushing it.

I know very well, as do others, these are not the only features to be announced. There is almost 2 and half months to the release of the game and more features will be announced.

But as FM fan, I will buy it for certain. Not sure when it will be since if the new features fail to impress me, I will get it when it will be on sale.

Note: What I'm eager to see is the new features for FM editor. And if there is any news regarding FMC/Touch editor.

The draft system also looks interesting, in all my years playing FM I have never done an online game, it is something I have always wanted to do.

I wonder if SI have ever thought of adding a 'lobby' to the game though, this would make it so much easier in setting up an online game.

With this new feature it almost screams that a game lobby has to be added at some point.

I'm obviously a very low maintenance customer. I don't ever look at new features at all to determine whether or not I'd buy the game and happily continue to pay for a game with an up to date set of transfers and an improved Match Engine.

I'd say for me its the underlying things (which you and I have talked great lengths about). And then after that it's specific features I look out for.

I was quite underwhelmed with FM15s feature announcement, but I still bought it, because I felt FM14 with the last patch was the best ever, and so I foolishly thought that, without massive new features, the game would be very enjoyable after the first patch or so. Of course I was wrong, the match engine was - for me - frustrating until the last patch (that is: the too high amount of shots and goals, especially in certain leagues), and even after the last patch, it still breaks my immersion here and there and can't come close to FM14s last patch. This devolution made doubts raise whether or not buy FM16, which is something really unsual for me, as I bought every single edition in the last 15 years. Now, seeing that there isn't even a single feature that I like (maybe the injury one, which I was expecting 3 years ago, though), I will not buy FM 16, unless the game is in a very good condition on Christmas or so (which it has never been, let's be honest... I usually only really enjoyed (that is, playing it for hundreds of hours and not keeping on worrying about certain bugs every time I play it) an FM from March onwards).

To the people that said that this edition will have massive bug fixing and transfer overhaul and AI overhaul, just not new "exciting" features... there will most probably not be any massive overhaul. Because, if there was, they would have announced it a lot stronger (like they did before, I think with FM 12 or something).

And to the people saying "there's still a lot time to announce stuff"... come on. Would Konami announce Metal Gear Solid V with just the feature "You can have your own dog", and then after two months make a tweet with "Oh by the way, we have Open World gameplay also"? We all know how marketing works, give away the big stuff from the beginning and add in little small feature announcments to keep the excitement going. There won't be any major new features revealed in the coming weeks, judging by all probability.

I'm not a feature whore and would be happy to pay 40 bucks for a massive improvement on AI squad building and stuff, if I surely knew it would be massive. But right now I do feel disappointed, that was the question.

However, I don't think it's fair to critizise the annual relase of FM. Every company aims to make as much money as possible, and as there is a reason for players to buy a football game annually (new season, transfers etc.), it's a wise decision to realease your football game on an annual base, if you want to make use of that.

It's not like every negative comment = hate anyway, the fact is it is us the customers that have to part with our money, now not saying that means it's ok to come on here and start thread after thread to have a rant at SI, anyway for me it's just a case of is there anything that makes me 100% want to get it, got 2 FMC15 saves that I have put a lot of time in on so is this new release going to drag me away from them? Create-a-club interests me but I found a work around anyway so need more than that.

It's only minor but I don't like that Classic has been renamed Touch, just don't see the need for the change of name just because of touchscreen when the majority who have get it on PC probably won't be using touchscreen, just caused confusion at the moment.

Also another thing I don't understand is the release dates.

AlP7Vb.jpg

If you just want FM Touch on it's own you have to wait longer or pay more to get it with Full Fat version.:(

For every feature there will be people who don't see the need and people who have been awaiting the features for years. I accept that and will decide to buy fm16 based on the feature I do want.

Personally I'm not interested in manager creation or fantasy league. But hey, it might cater a need for others.

Ill just wait and see what more is announced and make my decision then.

Exactly.

So many posts in here are saying they only like one new thing but that is what SI want - they don't expect every customer to want every single new feature because every customer has a different view of what he/she wants. So SI come up with a variety of features knowing that just one of these could be the one that convinces you it is worth the purchase.

So many posts in here are saying they only like one new thing but that is what SI want - they don't expect every customer to want every single new feature because every customer has a different view of what he/she wants. So SI come up with a variety of features knowing that just one of these could be the one that convinces you it is worth the purchase.

Just so. I don't understand the attitude where someone may not like a feature but instead of simply letting it slide and being aware of the fact that someone else might like it, instead seems to react angrily almost like they've been insulted. Take the manager creation; plenty of players (myself included) will enjoy a little manager avatar on the sidelines. If that's not for you, then fine; all you have to do is click 'OK' when you get to that screen at the start of a save. Hardly the end of the world.

That's not everyone, mind you. There's probably a fair amount of constructive criticism to be had on the new features, although it's far too early for that criticism to be particularly worthwhile. Personally I like almost all the new announcements, so I'm eagerly awaiting more details.

Also another thing I don't understand is the release dates.

AlP7Vb.jpg

If you just want FM Touch on it's own you have to wait longer or pay more to get it with Full Fat version.:(

Please don't tell me this is true, no "classic" version of the game until near xmas?

Thing is I really want to at least try this new draft thing as to be fair it was one of my wishes so would be wrong to then not try it but to buy the "full game" just for this for November yet not able to play the classic game until later and at more cost??

Clear as mud so far then as to what I'll be getting and when.

Just so. I don't understand the attitude where someone may not like a feature but instead of simply letting it slide and being aware of the fact that someone else might like it, instead seems to react angrily almost like they've been insulted. Take the manager creation; plenty of players (myself included) will enjoy a little manager avatar on the sidelines. If that's not for you, then fine; all you have to do is click 'OK' when you get to that screen at the start of a save. Hardly the end of the world.

That's not everyone, mind you. There's probably a fair amount of constructive criticism to be had on the new features, although it's far too early for that criticism to be particularly worthwhile. Personally I like almost all the new announcements, so I'm eagerly awaiting more details.

I couldn't care less about the manager on screen but I'm not going to criticise SI for it as I realise others will like it. Instead I'll say I'm looking forward to seeing more stats and intrigued as to how the draft and creating a club works. As ever, I will have a look at the demo before deciding what to do.

Please don't tell me this is true, no "classic" version of the game until near xmas?

Thing is I really want to at least try this new draft thing as to be fair it was one of my wishes so would be wrong to then not try it but to buy the "full game" just for this for November yet not able to play the classic game until later and at more cost??

Clear as mud so far then as to what I'll be getting and when.

http://www.footballmanager.com/games

Before I say this, I am of those guys who has bought every iteration of football manager since the Domark CM93 times, so I will be buying this version regardless of announced features.

That said, I am happy with what is being added. I have no problems with the draft system; I can see hours of fun with online groups competing for bragging rights (reminiscent of the short lived FM Live).

Add a club - Yes, you can do it in the editor but I have a lot of friends who wouldn't have a clue how to use the editor to do this, so it's for the 95% who don't dabble behind the curtain.

Manager customisation - Fluff, but hey I'll spend 20 mins getting the paunch on my managers stout frame just right ;)

Touch and mobile - Not for me but if it gets more people playing then all the better.

For me the biggest things I look for each year are improvements and progression on core systems. Match engine, UI, filtering, layout customisation, tactical depth, AI and to a lesser extent interaction & feedback (press conferences I'm looking at you), player stats & regen stat distribution and general difficulty. Most of which haven't been touched on yet and possibly won't be known till we've played a few seasons.

Give it time, have faith. It's the best management game out by light years unless you want to set the price of the clubs hot dogs or use the clubs money to bail your star player out of jail.

So it's £44.99 for the full version yet only £19.99 for Touch/Classic wow quite a difference given only 1 price for all beforehand.

Also appears true then that "classic/touch" might not be available straight away although you can cross your saves from 1 version to the other (like before).

Oh dear I'm stuck I really am. I mean it seems like to get the game straight away you have to pay like 25 more pounds just to try out the one thing I really wanted i.e. Draft so I bet I'm going to have to do this aren't I?

So it's £44.99 for the full version yet only £19.99 for Touch/Classic wow quite a difference given only 1 price for all beforehand.

Also appears true then that "classic/touch" might not be available straight away although you can cross your saves from 1 version to the other (like before).

Oh dear I'm stuck I really am. I mean it seems like to get the game straight away you have to pay like 25 more pounds just to try out the one thing I really wanted i.e. Draft so I bet I'm going to have to do this aren't I?

It shows on Steam as a preorder at £35 as it is every year for the "full" game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378120/

It shows on Steam as a preorder at £35 as it is every year for the "full" game.

Ah but the "classic/touch" version is a lot cheaper this time it would seem which is course all I've ever played since it came out 3 years ago!

However as said 2 problems with it

1. Will it not be out until near xmas rather then well end of October if you include beta/pre-order period.

2. Just typical that it would appear draft will only be available on full version.

Therefore I will probably end up paying a lot more purely because of the draft version and the fact I can get the game a lot earlier?

I will never be truly happy until FM Live (or a similar concept) returns :( but I am happy with the direction they are taking.

I think the game would be much more successful now. In the short time it has been gone, the online gaming scene has exploded with wider broadband access, faster speeds and less suspicion of joining online activities that involve payment. People view online as the norm now as companies like EA, Konami and 2k are demonstrating by putting increased effort into their online multiplayer game modes. FM have the potential for the best online football game of all in FM Live. I am interested to know what FM Online is and if it will be released in UK & Ireland.

In my opinion FM are trying to tap into this online/multiplayer market with their new game modes and I applaud them for doing so. Why not have added features?

I don't see the hullabaloo and negativity regarding the create a manager, it is such a simple feature that probably took half a day to implement that will please a lot of newer and casual gamers to create a more immersive experience for some. It won't have detracted from their planning for the core gameplay, as long as the game keeps improving and attracting more players, who minds?

I would love to see the online aspect of FM being explored in the near future along with constant tweaks to the core elements of the game that effect how a player (and the AI having a better interaction) interacts with the game such as tactics, training, transfers, match engine, etc... with online the need for AI would drastically reduce therefore almost eliminating one of FM's big problems. How to keep the AI competitive and realistic.

One core gameplay alteration I would like to see is 'dynamic prize money for leagues' depending on how the reputation of a league or its teams increases because the current system imposes limitations and ensures that the gameworld is not truly dynamic.

Really disappointed I have to say.

I was hoping for extensive alterations to the match engine (which we might still get), tactic options and player instructions. What we got was all a bit gimmicky and fluff. I mean, does anyone even interact with the media? We don't play FM for that, right? They still might get it right but I know for certain I won't be buying until in the new year, if at all. I've supported them every year all the way back to 1998 I think but I do think they're letting the ball slip when it comes to Football Manager.

Guess they'll be show casing more of the new features over the coming weeks and I might be more inclined to buy if they do show some killer new features. Unfortunately I doubt it :(

I will never be truly happy until FM Live (or a similar concept) returns :( but I am happy with the direction they are taking.

I think the game would be much more successful now. In the short time it has been gone, the online gaming scene has exploded with wider broadband access, faster speeds and less suspicion of joining online activities that involve payment. People view online as the norm now as companies like EA, Konami and 2k are demonstrating by putting increased effort into their online multiplayer game modes. FM have the potential for the best online football game of all in FM Live. I am interested to know what FM Online is and if it will be released in UK & Ireland.

In my opinion FM are trying to tap into this online/multiplayer market with their new game modes and I applaud them for doing so. Why not have added features?

I don't see the hullabaloo and negativity regarding the create a manager, it is such a simple feature that probably took half a day to implement that will please a lot of newer and casual gamers to create a more immersive experience for some. It won't have detracted from their planning for the core gameplay, as long as the game keeps improving and attracting more players, who minds?

I would love to see the online aspect of FM being explored in the near future along with constant tweaks to the core elements of the game that effect how a player (and the AI having a better interaction) interacts with the game such as tactics, training, transfers, match engine, etc... with online the need for AI would drastically reduce therefore almost eliminating one of FM's big problems. How to keep the AI competitive and realistic.

Couldn't have put it better, fm live such the best thing that "FM/CM" have ever done yet why stop it?

Even at say £10 a month id have done that over any recent FM version there has been since.

• Administrators
Really disappointed I have to say.

I was hoping for extensive alterations to the match engine (which we might still get), tactic options and player instructions. What we got was all a bit gimmicky and fluff. I mean, does anyone even interact with the media? We don't play FM for that, right? They still might get it right but I know for certain I won't be buying until in the new year, if at all. I've supported them every year all the way back to 1998 I think but I do think they're letting the ball slip when it comes to Football Manager.

Guess they'll be show casing more of the new features over the coming weeks and I might be more inclined to buy if they do show some killer new features. Unfortunately I doubt it :(

What further tactical and player instructions do you feel the game needs? And like you've said there may even be changes to the match engine which haven't been announced yet.

What further tactical and player instructions do you feel the game needs? And like you've said there may even be changes to the match engine which haven't been announced yet.

I'm not actually sure what I want to see. More options I guess? I just feel that the match engine and the options we have from a tactical stand point are really limiting and haven't progressed all that much. I feel like it would fall of deaf ears even if I had anything insightful to add anyway judging from the Tweet I got from Miles Jacobson. I'm talking hyperbole because I think the tactics screen is ugly apparently.

Another year, another UI touch-up. FM "features" should become a thing, like Valve Time. To be constructive, here are two things I've had problems with since forever:

Multithreading for day-to-day player processing, so the game is playable with all players in the world loaded.

Reworked contract demands. You know all those complaints that a player turns you down to sign for worse club and lower salary? It boils down to demands being tied to the club's available wage budget.

And something more recent. The old sliders got fixed presets called Shouts. And that artificial constraint made its way everywhere and in the end completely took over the tactics.

I'm not actually sure what I want to see. More options I guess? I just feel that the match engine and the options we have from a tactical stand point are really limiting and haven't progressed all that much. I feel like it would fall of deaf ears even if I had anything insightful to add anyway judging from the Tweet I got from Miles Jacobson. I'm talking hyperbole because I think the tactics screen is ugly apparently.

So you don't know what improvements you want but SI are supposed to subliminaly read your thoughts and satisfy your needs? yeh right :D

I'm not in charge of making a game. They don't need to read my mind, if thats what they're relying on to make a game then they're screwed. That being said, if I sat down and really thought about it I'm sure I could come with some ideas that would improve the game. It's not my job though, one of them wouldn't be adding a 'manager avatar' thats for sure.

Sorry for insulting you beloved game Kriss.

Tactis screen and graphics ih awfull...ugly..my opinion is that they should concentrate on match engine rather then roof of stadium (all with same corrosion), manager look, cross like ronaldo (leg behind leg cross). Match engine is most important thing that all players need. We are 3 years now without real match engine. this is shame

• Administrators
I'm not in charge of making a game. They don't need to read my mind, if thats what they're relying on to make a game then they're screwed. That being said, if I sat down and really thought about it I'm sure I could come with some ideas that would improve the game. It's not my job though, one of them wouldn't be adding a 'manager avatar' thats for sure.

But it is something other users have requested in the past. Just because you don't want or particularly like a feature doesn't mean other people share your opinion. That's what a lot of this is, people's opinions - nearly all of which are coming from looking at screenshots.

But the thing is you complain about stuff and when you get a question from one of the actual game makers all you can come up with "It's not my problem". Great attitude.

• Administrators
Tactis screen and graphics ih awfull...ugly..my opinion is that they should concentrate on match engine rather then roof of stadium (all with same corrosion), manager look, cross like ronaldo (leg behind leg cross). Match engine is most important thing that all players need. We are 3 years now without real match engine. this is shame

People who work on the stadium designs wouldn't be able to improve how the match engine works - it's a different set of coders. Don't assume because one person is a coder that they work on every part of the game. Why do you find the tactics screen and graphics 'ugly'? What specifically don't you like about it?

Archived