Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.2.1

No, they object to every single team in the game scoring far too many goals. Completely different thing.

So, if I take over say Bath City and make them score because I know how to do it, it is not good..I should only score goals with Bayern or Real Madrid, right? And the best way to stop a team from scoring too much is making your attackers miss from a few yards, or making the AI defenders block everything

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, if I take over say Bath City and make them score because I know how to do it, it is not good..I should only score goals with Bayern or Real Madrid, right? And the best way to stop a team from scoring too much is making your attackers miss from a few yards, or making the AI defenders block everything

No, you have completely missed the point. Read foramuess' reply again ... nowhere does he suggest any of what you have posted above.

...I'd go back and read what I said - and I mean really read it - then come back and correct what you're saying. Or just go and shout at a wall or something, not too much difference.

As much as I like the game overall this year, it's a wee bit realism-busting how easy it is. And I'm someone who always struggles with this game.

In one save on the main game, I've managed three straight promotions with Hereford. I have never done this before in any version of the game.

Also, I just started a save on FM Classic with Sunderland the other night. 3rd after 10 games. Beat Arsenal 3-0 and beat Man City 2-0 - where I had 16 goal attempts (11 on target) and restricted them to a solitary shot on goal. I've only bought one player in pre-season (Bryan Ruiz), and I'm not using any downloaded 'super tactic'.

One of the many things I loved about FM14 was that, for me, they got the difficulty spot on. If you went a small or mediocre team, then generally you would struggle a bit until you managed to build a good side, and the flow of the game was better. I was sitting last night watching Sunderland destroy Man City seven weeks into the first season, and all I could think of was 'this isn't right'. I was actually pleased when Chelsea beat me 2-0 in the next game :lol:

Other than some of the wonky interactions, that's my main real gripe with this year's game. I'm sure the majority will look on this as being a positive thing, but for me it just seems a bit off.

I agree, it is a bit too easy, I did find FM14 being too easy as well TBH. Did three promotions in four seasons with Shrewsbury, and in my first season in the Premier Leauge I finished 6th, meaning that I now have Europa League-football to look forward to in my second season in the Premiership. The team didn't have anyone making more than 12-14k a week, most of them making around 10k, meaning that my wage budget was around 10-25 percent compared to the rest of the league. Had 6 players on loan, most of them U21-players from other Premier League teams. It sure was a fun season, finishing 6th place in the last game after Wigan crumbled in stoppage time, but it's a bittersweet feeling as well. Shrewsbury, with it's 10 000 capacity naturally being predicted dead last before the start of the season I was really welcoming a tough relegation battle, and I think the feeling of accomplishment would have been greater if I saved the team from relegation in round 38 rather than winning a Europen spot, leaving teams like Tottenham behind me on the table.

It should take longer than 4-5 years to build a side that can compete for European spots, but I also get that SI have a very difficult job in doing so!

PS! People complaining that the game is too easy really shouldnt base that on experiences they have with top quality sides!

Difficulty has always been iffy in FM though. Every version you'll have part of the community claiming it's too hard and part claiming it's too easy. The only thing people generally agreed on was that managing top clubs was too easy as your rivals simply couldn't keep up in the long run.

Remember, Coaching Badges and Past Playing experience can be used as a difficulty setting of sorts. For those complaining of finding the lower leagues too easy, I'd guess that you may have set these two fields on something higher than the minimum? I'm currently managing in the Conference North with absolutely no coaching badges and Sunday League Footballer past playing experience and I'm finding it very difficult indeed!

Remember, Coaching Badges and Past Playing experience can be used as a difficulty setting of sorts. For those complaining of finding the lower leagues too easy, I'd guess that you may have set these two fields on something higher than the minimum? I'm currently managing in the Conference North with absolutely no coaching badges and Sunday League Footballer past playing experience and I'm finding it very difficult indeed!

Well I hope that everyone who says the game might be a bit too easy (me included) have set zero playing background (sunday league) as the standard. I have included the coaching badges that I have IRL, but that is not excatly the continental license :)

That being said, the game, and especially the ME is the best FM ever by far and you guys at SI, as well as the mods in here and everyone doing beta testing, deserve a huge round of applause :applause: Thank you for ruining my social life!

I am sorry, SI forum moderators, but i have to tell the truth about what i feel right now.I have been active in the forum for about 4 generations of the game now, But everytime I make a comment focusing on bug or imperfection about Match engine, Mods Stand out immeditely to fight back , to say that its not the engine, its my own tactic or my own non-objective feel, and if i wanna prove it, go upload it to testers stop complanninig here. Wow..And I thought this is a feedback thread , as a customer,dont i have the right to point out the consor bug? I thought this is a retail game, i may not need to report a bug with required evident and upload it to SI FTP right? And everytime even SI moderators decline to accept the bugs about the engine, the next patch fixs exactly what most people pointed out . But at the time you posted forum , 90% of the time, if you report a negative bug on the engine, you get questioned and get kinda of sarcastic words by moderators. So I kinda get a feeling that negative feedbacks are not welcome in the feedback thread, Only postive feedbacks are allowed and welcome in this "feedback thread". I am sorry SI, but this is just my personal experience . Let's not discuss about engine or the game, let's talk about customer service and modest attitude towords your loyal customers.

So difficult he just got sacked :D

TBH, I think that Sunday League Footballer past playing experience may be used to your advantage, as opponents tend to under-estimate your team at the beginning. And when the opponents start to "respect" you, your players will respect you, too. That is, if you don't act crazy and try to reinvent the wheel.

Well I hope that everyone who says the game might be a bit too easy (me included) have set zero playing background (sunday league) as the standard. I have included the coaching badges that I have IRL, but that is not excatly the continental license :)

That being said, the game, and especially the ME is the best FM ever by far and you guys at SI, as well as the mods in here and everyone doing beta testing, deserve a huge round of applause :applause: Thank you for ruining my social life!

This is not sarcasm:-

Yes I think its worth pointing out that, despite the odd niggle, the match engine is a work of art (if you can call software art, and I think you can). If they have not already, the developers should be nominated for an industry award and would be worthy winners. For the most part the ME is very life-like.

Just done a bit of an experiment to compare the likes of goals scored, finishing stats, saves, that sort of thing. Basically have taken goals/shots/saves stats from the last 13 games pre patch and the first 13 games post patch and added them up. Won't put down the results for each individual game but the totals make interesting reading, for me at least!!

Both sets of results are based on 7 home games and 6 away games. Obviously the opposition are different but I see pretty much a level playing field with regard to how many big teams I played in each session.

--------------------------------------------PRE PATCH TOTALS------------POST PATCH TOTALS

Goals Scored-------------------------------------28--------------------------------23

Shots taken--------------------------------------178------------------------------182

Shots on target----------------------------------85--------------------------------81

Missed Net---------------------------------------52--------------------------------68

Woodwork----------------------------------------4---------------------------------5

Saved--------------------------------------------55--------------------------------56

Saved in 6 yard box----------------------------13--------------------------------16

Blocked------------------------------------------25--------------------------------30

Shots taken outside area-----------------------59--------------------------------72

Now I personally felt that finishing is a lot worse post patch, especially for strikers but goals and shots on target are not too far apart so that side of things doesn't suggest much of a difference. Neither does saves in 6 yard box even though my feeling had edged towards the birth of some sort of a Super Keeper. This surprised me a bit because I felt that there were a higher number of instances of miraculous double saves and yet the stats don't suggest that so I think we all have some selective memory at some stage!! Blocked shots are about the same but the two areas that there is a marked difference is long shots and missed net, although an increased amount of long shots would give a higher margin of error for shots missing the net. It would take quite a while to work out how many closer range shots miss the net so I'll leave that one for others but whilst I still feel that there is a bit of a finishing issue at times the stats do not suggest as such.

However, the one area it may have affected it is crosses. Personally I feel that crosses have been toned down somewhat, or finishing from crosses has as I am not scoring as many goals from crosses although I wasn't scoring a hatful pre patch. Headers of course go down as shots in the stats and I clicked on a handful of missed close range chances and some were headers from crosses which generally seem to go tamely wide or over the bar. Free kicks to a lesser extent. I think I scored one in every four or so games pre patch whereas now I don't think I have had one on target post patch!! You can probably fairly easily work out cross conversion rate for a particular season but it may not be that easy for a handful of matches such as this experiment.

It was a bit of a surprise to me though as I expected far more CCC's to have been missed although I do still feel that finishing is not quite as good as pre patch. I was also surprised because I felt that I was having more shots on goal, hence the feeling that chances weren't being put away and yet the totals suggest not much difference because post patch I have had more than 15 shots on goal on 6 occasions whereas pre patch that happened on 4 occasions therefore again suggesting not much difference.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that maybe wide play isn't as effective and more play is now through the middle hence the increase in long range shots and less goals from crosses, and possibly an obvious knock on effect due to improved defending and goalkeepers although as stated the difference is marginal.

I used the same 4231 (2DM) tactic for all games although obviously mentalities changed from time to time.

The thing is wide way has been too effective for a while now but what this latest patch has done is strike a better balance (though I havent had chance to play too many gmames but certainly early observations are)...its not that wide play has been ruined by any means...I've found you can now be effective both out wide AND through the middle...which is exactly how it should be...essentially the match engine is now capable of doing what it should...allowing both styles of play. Any attempts to increase wide play is a backward step as it would just be going back to the imbalanced engine that it was. Match engine is as robust as its been. Obviously can still be improved but no way should it return to the dark ages of crosses/long diagonals etc...its taken a while to get it to where it is now so lets not take any retrograde steps here.

I am sorry, SI forum moderators, but i have to tell the truth about what i feel right now.I have been active in the forum for about 4 generations of the game now, But everytime I make a comment focusing on bug or imperfection about Match engine, Mods Stand out immeditely to fight back , to say that its not the engine, its my own tactic or my own non-objective feel, and if i wanna prove it, go upload it to testers stop complanninig here. Wow..And I thought this is a feedback thread , as a customer,dont i have the right to point out the consor bug? I thought this is a retail game, i may not need to report a bug with required evident and upload it to SI FTP right? And everytime even SI moderators decline to accept the bugs about the engine, the next patch fixs exactly what most people pointed out . But at the time you posted forum , 90% of the time, if you report a negative bug on the engine, you get questioned and get kinda of sarcastic words by moderators. So I kinda get a feeling that negative feedbacks are not welcome in the feedback thread, Only postive feedbacks are allowed and welcome in this "feedback thread". I am sorry SI, but this is just my personal experience . Let's not discuss about engine or the game, let's talk about customer service and modest attitude towords your loyal customers.

Absolute "customer-is-always-right" rubbish.

You complain about not being allowed to point out bugs, and completely miss the point that this isn't the place you point out bugs alone. By all means talk about the existence of them here, but they need to be reported in the bugs forum, funnily enough.

Honestly, this forum is one of the most sanitised I visit. If you think replies on here are sarcastic or rude, I can only assume this is the only place you visit.

The thing is wide way has been too effective for a while now but what this latest patch has done is strike a better balance (though I havent had chance to play too many gmames but certainly early observations are)...its not that wide play has been ruined by any means...I've found you can now be effective both out wide AND through the middle...which is exactly how it should be...essentially the match engine is now capable of doing what it should...allowing both styles of play. Any attempts to increase wide play is a backward step as it would just be going back to the imbalanced engine that it was. Match engine is as robust as its been. Obviously can still be improved but no way should it return to the dark ages of crosses/long diagonals etc...its taken a while to get it to where it is now so lets not take any retrograde steps here.

Oh indeed. I was far from saying we should increase wide play opportunities, I was merely stating that wide play toning down "could" be part of the reason for peoples comments that finishing is not as good as it was pre patch.

For what it's worth I think the ME is nearly there. I think finishing could be improved slightly because I do think strikers generally shoot very straight in this update where they tended to find the corners a bit more pre patch which showed a lovely variety in curled efforts and I think set pieces need a revamp personally as too many shots are flying over the bar and corners seem impossible to score at, but that's just my opinion. Even more free kicks hitting the wall would at least be a change to Row Z getting hit all the time!

There is still a bit of "rubber banding" effect in the ME, albeit not as severe as before. If I ever encounter a situation where it actually affects me and becomes an issue, like conceding a goal, I'll upload the pkm. It is not a big deal anywhere else on the pitch but occasionally my defender and the CPU forward race after a ball, my defender pulls up a bit and seemingly "lets" the opposition win the race. Perhaps the ME has decided that the forward has won the race, in which then it would be an animation/syncing issue. But it's quite frustrating to watch on the screen as it looks like your player has been bribed or something.

I just had my best AMC learn the PPM 'places his shots', and 2 matches later he scored a beautiful goal. He received a through ball and dribbled the ball once, and just when he was entering the box, with a ~15-20 degree angle, he was being closed down by a stopper (and he doesn't have much speed so it makes sense, but he is a highly technical player) and the GK was coming out, he placed his shot with a perfect speed right into the far corner. It was amazing to watch.

Finishing is fine overall as far as I'm concerned, other than some odd looking ones where the GK's save a super fast shot with a super-human reflex from close distance. But is is just a 'not so good' graphical representation, I think. In the last few matches, my team's morale and form was high, and my players scored some beautiful one-on-ones, so no complaints there.

My Hereford save is/was on the dafuge challenge where you have to start with the lowest rep possible. Ok, I know Hereford get a big budget compared to the rest of the Conference North/South, but getting to League 1 in successive seasons is a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure I'll even go back to it in honesty, feels like I'm cheating the game, even though I'm not.

There is still a bit of "rubber banding" effect in the ME, albeit not as severe as before. If I ever encounter a situation where it actually affects me and becomes an issue, like conceding a goal, I'll upload the pkm. It is not a big deal anywhere else on the pitch but occasionally my defender and the CPU forward race after a ball, my defender pulls up a bit and seemingly "lets" the opposition win the race. Perhaps the ME has decided that the forward has won the race, in which then it would be an animation/syncing issue. But it's quite frustrating to watch on the screen as it looks like your player has been bribed or something.

I've seen this, but I don't think it's 'rubber banding' ... I'd assumed more like your second point, that the ME has decided the forward gets to the ball first but has made a bit of a mess of visualising it :) It's awful to watch it unfold as the defending teams manager !!

It absolutely isn't "rubber-banding" :D

It is a known bug which arises when a number of concurrent processes happen at the same time. It, like everything in the ME, equally affects human and AI.

Oh indeed. I was far from saying we should increase wide play opportunities, I was merely stating that wide play toning down "could" be part of the reason for peoples comments that finishing is not as good as it was pre patch.

Phew !!!

About the player interaction...I had a player who wanted to leave, so I let him. But then get moaned at that the club shouldn't let go players like this (he wasn't amazing, just average) and I am like, but he wanted first team football and I couldn't give him that, and the guy who was moaning was all like, yeah well u should have done better to keep him. So I am like but I am the boss yeah? And he is like, stfu.

What the hell is with players telling me who I can and can't sell?

I am curious about what people are doing with their tactics to get those crazy scorelines and 30-40+ shots. In my 3 seasons, with different teams and different tactics, these never happened to me. Majority of my matches end with 8-15 shots per team.

I remember this one match though, which was the most extreme that I experienced, where the opponent team was significantly stronger, and once they were down 1-0, they switched to this very attacking tactic, where they were not wasting any second to pump the ball towards my box, one attack after another, and even though I was playing with 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders, I could not prevent them from getting 7 CCC's. 2 of them went in and they won 2-1, while attempting close to 30 shots at my goal. My team just could not deal with whatever the opponent was doing.

But it was only 1 match in 3 seasons, so I guess it is ok.

Have the "rules" where n when we can discipline players been changed? I'm sure we used to be able to discipline players for getting 6.4 ratings or under, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the latest patch (sure I could earlier on FM15)

Happened about 5 times in 10 games. Possibly a tactical issue, although i'm not sure which tactic would stop all of my CBs being able to pass normally.

Also, i'm not sure fixing issues with an incomplete product should really constitute a 'Christmas gift', but then I may just be inviting another ban. Merry Christmas eh?

If you go to FM online forum and take a look at the league tables from some of those online leagues, you can clearly see the difference between the AI controlled teams and the human controlled teams, in terms of goals/match. Some human managers are averaging almost 3 goals per match for their team, and 2 goals per match against. I play with a standard mentality 4-4-1-1 formation, and so far my averages are 1.3 for / 1.2 against, which is similar to what AI teams are averaging, which is also what RL teams average more or less. It is very clear to me that it is the tactical choices of human managers what escalates the goal count in the game.

Have the "rules" where n when we can discipline players been changed? I'm sure we used to be able to discipline players for getting 6.4 ratings or under, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the latest patch (sure I could earlier on FM15)

Been reported all over the place and many times in the bugs forum, upload a save game where it happens and post it there, SI are looking at it.

Is it just me that finds transfer fee negotiations ridiculous ? I mean i am playing Southampton and want to buy Tielemans from Anderlecht. BAM! 24 million. I`m like "Ok , Belgium is well known for growing young talents so it's not unusual for clubs to keep their prices high" . Next i try Ajax and set my eyes on Richairo Zivkovic (F) . His value is 375k but his attributes are really high and promising so i think a 6M bid for him would be a bit of an overspending but what the heck right?! BAM! Ajax requests 53M. At this point i stopped searching for players at clubs with high reputation and thought "Hey let's try buying young talents from clubs with a more difficult financial situation" and went for Hajduk Split and i found Tino-Sven Susic who has way lower stats than the previous two but still a promising player valued around 250K in game and offer Hajduk 4M which for a club in their position means almost a season budget. Their response? BAM ! "We want 19M!" . This is obviously flawed somehow...

Yes, because you should just be able to buy who you want. Maybe these clubs don't want to sell their prize assets at the first enquiry. Keep negotiating though, you can wear clubs down, especially if the player really wants to move.

And when the roles are reversed, this time they never want to sell their young talent, and they find it unrealistic if the player forces a move :)

With FM15 SI finally provided a game where squad building and maintaining is more challenging and fun, but some people still want to have their box with a WIN button on it, and keep pushing :)

Is it just me that finds transfer fee negotiations ridiculous ? I mean i am playing Southampton and want to buy Tielemans from Anderlecht. BAM! 24 million. I`m like "Ok , Belgium is well known for growing young talents so it's not unusual for clubs to keep their prices high" . Next i try Ajax and set my eyes on Richairo Zivkovic (F) . His value is 375k but his attributes are really high and promising so i think a 6M bid for him would be a bit of an overspending but what the heck right?! BAM! Ajax requests 53M. At this point i stopped searching for players at clubs with high reputation and thought "Hey let's try buying young talents from clubs with a more difficult financial situation" and went for Hajduk Split and i found Tino-Sven Susic who has way lower stats than the previous two but still a promising player valued around 250K in game and offer Hajduk 4M which for a club in their position means almost a season budget. Their response? BAM ! "We want 19M!" . This is obviously flawed somehow...

Mmm, you tried to sign 2 of the most promising young players in world football (and they are represented so in FM) and you're shocked?

Tielemans is a bargain at £24m also, I signed him and he's probably one of the most complete creative midfielders I have ever seen

Overall I'm very happy with the match engine. I'm seeing some really nice play both wide and through the middle. The only major issue I have is the quality of finishing. It's not too far off being right but at the moment I feel finishing is a little weak with players hitting the ball straight at the goalie too often (in my mind at least) or smashing the ball not just slightly wide but no where near the target on a regular basis. I also feel players are a bit too keen to shoot with a player standing straight in front of them rather than looking for a better option.

There are a few more other minor issues such as players seemingly taking shots on their weaker foot a bit too often despite having plenty of time and under little pressure and players decision making when passing being a little bit off but overall I think the match engine is very good.

kdgoOy.png

I am loving the new patch now!! lol!!! Cracked it!! :)

In all fairness this was a one off result where Man City werent at the races and my players were demons! Overall I can safely say that I am loving this patch now, tactics tweaked has now really brought out the best in my team, not steamrollering opposition (except this game!) 2nd in league and it watches like a great game of football! I was too hasty in thinking wide play was becoming irrelevant, its not. Was again like always my tactics. Back in love again!!! :) Well done SI!!!

Funnily enough, in my Coventry save, I managed to get a 21-yr old Tielemans on loan from Anderlecht in 2020 whilst playing in the Championship. Seems like the AI controlled big teams just never knew he existed.

That's outrageous, he's an absolute beast for me, avg rating has been around the 8 mark every season with double digit goals & assists.

That's outrageous, he's an absolute beast for me, avg rating has been around the 8 mark every season with double digit goals & assists.

Apologies, it's only 2018, not 2020 but still. To get this guy on loan for no wages and no loan fee almost feels like a cheat. No idea why he'd join a Championship club when he could have his pick of many top clubs. Weird.

29FF7wp.png

As subsequent posters have pointed out, this is no suggestion at all that we work on 'rubber banding' the ME.

This is merely a statement of fact, that if we improve finishing then we'll have more goals, therefore we'd have to look at how the ME could be improved in other ways to keep things balanced. This is part of how we work on a daily basis and it simply highlights that it's not always an easy fix to "improve finishing" or "improve goalkeeping", we're walking a constant tightrope.

Thanks for all your Match Engine feedback so far, we're taking it into account and working very hard to find that perfect balance! :)

Thr problem in my opinion is that SI spends so may time tweaking the ME that never gets it right. For some time i find AI scoring ratio vs shots to be unconsistently higher than human teams but 15.2 sets a new scale of nerve breaking scoring eficiency regarding AI vs Human.

I think the game keeps droping the fun because it becomes more unfair and unlogical. Its seasons after seasons having 1 goal for 20 shots for vs 1 goal for 3 shots conceeded . This is pure rubbish.

My tactic is good solid i conceed very few chances and get a quite few but my team scores very few and conceeds every 2 or 3 shots .

Its nerve wrecking working so hard to have a good team and then beeing completly destroyed by a stupid ME .

I am sorry but i dont know how to upload images but after a season chasing Man United i have a home game , if win i become 1 point down with 8 matches to go

Game report

20-4 shots

7-2 shots on goal

4-0 Clear chances

0-2 score...

The problem is that games like this are several.

Sorry , i am very frustrated

Thr problem in my opinion is that SI spends so may time tweaking the ME that never gets it right. For some time i find AI scoring ratio vs shots to be unconsistently higher than human teams but 15.2 sets a new scale of nerve breaking scoring eficiency regarding AI vs Human.

I think the game keeps droping the fun because it becomes more unfair and unlogical. Its seasons after seasons having 1 goal for 20 shots for vs 1 goal for 3 shots conceeded . This is pure rubbish.

My tactic is good solid i conceed very few chances and get a quite few but my team scores very few and conceeds every 2 or 3 shots .

Its nerve wrecking working so hard to have a good team and then beeing completly destroyed by a stupid ME .

I am sorry but i dont know how to upload images but after a season chasing Man United i have a home game , if win i become 1 point down with 8 matches to go

Game report

20-4 shots

7-2 shots on goal

4-0 Clear chances

0-2 score...

The problem is that games like this are several.

Sorry , i am very frustrated

I understand you're frustrated. I'd be as well if I had that result :)

But the ME is the same whether you're human or AI. So if you find that your team are having huge difficulties at scoring but your defence let in most chances created by your opponents, then that strongly suggests that you need to review your tactics.

I understand you're frustrated. I'd be as well if I had that result :)

But the ME is the same whether you're human or AI. So if you find that your team are having huge difficulties at scoring but your defence let in most chances created by your opponents, then that strongly suggests that you need to review your tactics.

Nah, I think we should not hide the truth any more, and tell him how SI programmed the ME so that if you are a tactical genius, the only way for the code to hold you back and keep the scores realistic is, by cheating :)

Archived