Am I too old For FM now??

SWJ

i would give a finger to play again that edition where you could only play italian league, and the foreign market was filled with stoichkov and romario etc...

that was the game that made me really addicted. couldnt sleep out in vacations because i was always thinking about that game

anyone knows how that one was called?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 31 and been playing since 1999. Lost a lot of my life to FM over the years but I wouldn't change that for a minute.

Also, I would of thought that FM would suit us "older" gamers more than teenagers or young adults? Younger people just want to play matches. I'm sure a lot of them must think we are mad doing all the stuff we have to do on the game to then only watch the games.

I'm 48 on vacation and here I sit checking every 1/2 hour to see if it has been released early...I know, I'm pathetic.

Wash your mouth out son, you are certainly not pathetic. Football Manager is like a football club, players (Wives and G Friends) come and go, some are prima donas, some use you for cash and some are just walkovers and some just sit on their holes and do nothing but nothing and no one is bigger than the football club.

I`m 51 and been playing since champ manager italia on the amiga, keep saying every year that its the last but I read the forums , watch the videos and listen to the blogs and before I know it I`m playing the beta or the demo. then I`m like a kid on xmas morning waiting for the release.

Im 37 now too.

Played and still own every single CM or FM game.

I remember so fondly when CM Italia came out, was in awe of Roberto Baggio and Juve etc.

CM4 was amazing too.

I can't manage all-nighters these days, usually pack in around 10pm or 11.30 weekends.

In fact, I tend to blast the new game for a few months then some damn good Xbox game comes out and I end on that instead.

This year, the new COD is pretty poor imho, so that'll get little time to interfere with FM - however, Far Cry 4 isn't far away and I've already pre-ordered that....and I want GTA5 (Xbox one) too...

Sigh....I'll fit the kids and wife in somewhere...

48, playing Football management games for the last 32 years ( started in 1982 with Football Manager from Addictive on an Amstrad CPC cassette tape )

What's the legal age for retirement ? :p

As I posted earlier in this thread, I'm 68 and still playing since 1993 so you have a long way to go yet. :D

In Uk this games is very popular,

But I'm from Venezuela and lives in colorado USA, here nobody knows this games its such a shame.

Im 28 been playing since 01/02, i remember in that game with Ronaldo in Inter wow what a game, now we have 3d matches that just incredible still remember when the 2d was release.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I'm 68 and still playing since 1993 so you have a long way to go yet. :D

Great too hear I am not the oldest. How may over 65 are there playing this game? I will probably still be playing pc games when I am 80. LOL.

Why would you need to stop playing? If you enjoy playing it then **** it, who cares? It's your time, spend it how you want to.
Old blokes are just kids with wrinkles anyway :(

:thup::D

I'm 40 and I have been playing various football manager games since I had the early Football Manager game on the Amstrad, since then I have played various others mostly on consoles with my favourites being Player Manager (with George Graham on cover) on the PS1, the LMA Manager series on PS2 until I finally joined FM world starting with FM2010.

started in 1982 with Football Manager from Addictive on an Amstrad CPC cassette tape )

Yeah that's the one I started with, pretty basic but I loved it and spent hours playing (more hours than my parents knew lol).

25 and playing since Championship manager 98/99... I remember the famous question in school from one of my friends - Did you play anything on champ? Thats how we called it, it was a ritual for us every day to talk about it in the school... I also remember the faces of the FIFA lovers when they hear that question: how can you love it if you can't play by yourself? How can you just watch it? Ooooh, they dont understand... They dont know that feeling: Oh, just one more game...Oh, maybe this tactics will work...Oh, maybe now this striker will score... Oh, maybe Overload will work now and not just finish the game without a chance...Oh, maybe this is the game that my poacher will choose to score from a counter-attack... Oh, maybe this is the game when my goalkeeper will do wonders... And, at the end - oh,well, maybe I can take this exam few months later...

Aged 37 and been playing this game since the very first one with fictional players, where you used to have to put in the attendance figures from a certain year and league that were printed on the inside of the box. I originally had an Atari ST but it was only half a meg :o so couldn't play the game and my dad went out and bought an Amiga so I could play Champ Man. Hooked ever since. I can remember having the best regen in the first ever game that had amazing attributes and with all my young players I used to play them for the last 10-15 minutes of a match when the team were winning and playing well and they always turned into brilliant players.

I used to love CM Italia too when it came out and originally only being able to get the game on Amiga via the post as it wasn't available in the shops.

Having to wait for my hard copy coming in the post for the latest version as bought via Amazon but having played the beta this is the best version I have ever played

I turned 28 on Monday.

Been playing since CM98. Own them all since CM99.

I also have football games like 90 minutes which I bought brand new in 1994, LMA manager 97 and heaps of other games.

If you look at % of my life vs. exposure/experience in manager games, pretty sure I'd trump just about anyone =)

Don't know too many young blokes with +10,000 hours experience in FM ;)

Also don't necessarily think I should be proud of that ;( LOL

• SI Staff
55 and been playing since the very first Championship Manager. Before that I played a game that either had ball or dugout in the title not sure what it was called. Also have been a researcher for this great game but lost interest in that when my team Weymouth dropped out of the Conference South.

I put it on the minute I get up and it stays on until I go to bed. I have other games but never play them. Going to swear now I have FIFA 14, in a whole year I only played it twice.

I also bought FM14 twice! One for my Desktop and one for my laptop. I am a FM addict!!!

Great to hear that you are still loving the game Ian. Nice one.

Now, when are we going to get Weymouth back as playable in the Conf South?

30 years old here and have been playing since I tried Championship Manager 2 with audio commentary on my grandfather's computer. Got really addicted to CM 3 and 01/02, and took a long pause between CM4 and FM 11. Nice to dabble with something in the background at work on slow days. Hopefully, FM15 won't stand too much in the way of writing my PhD. :o

28 nearly 29 and been playing since 1997, remember one of my 1st days at secondry school 2 mates were talking about signing Ronaldo for free, i got involved in the conversation and that weekend my paper round money was spent on a 2nd hand copy of CM2!! Had to go without football stickers that week! I have been hooked since!! Also does anybody remember Player Manager for PS1?

I am 42 and have been playing CM/FM since 1996. Before that I had an Amiga, and before that a ZX Spectrum and played football management games on both. :(

Me and my mate used to cringe at how many hours 'wasted' on this franchise, as in if we'd spent the hours learning languages or doing OU courses.... :D

Exact same here mate.. Soccer Boss on the Speccie was great..

My Dad played until he was 55 which was when he sadly passed away, FM08 was the last one he played. I remember CM03/04 was the first I got when I was about 12 and he watched me abit, he has basic knowledge of a computer and never played games or anything. I remember him shouting me in asking what he needs to do to start a season, after a long road I got him capable of doing it himself well pretty much the basics, hed always shout me when he was stuck. A few years later he'd got that into FM he'd managed to convince my mum to buy a 'family' laptop, I presumed it was a family laptop but he was having a hernia operation a month after and then I realised hed basically got it for FM while he recovered, and that laptop was 80% used just to play FM on. It just goes to show no matter who you are FM fever can get a grip of you.

I'm 26 years old and I've been playing since CM4. I don't think I'll ever stop playing. There are games out there where it may not be the "norm" to keep playing into your latter years, but I would definitely not group Football Manager into that group. Quite the opposite, in fact.

28 and started back in 2000/01 CM

That and 01/02 versions were the time I played it relentlessly, probably in the hundreds of hours.

Still play it when I can but time is severely limited now so pine for the days when i could wake up on a sat morn and play throught to the middle of the night

To my all Amiga lovers out there!! I still have four of them, all in working order!!

Amiga 500

Amiga 500 with the 1mb memory

Amiga 1200 x 2, one with kickstart/workbench preloaded

Why? Used to host and participate in Kick Off 2 Tournaments!!

There is a website and on FaceBook page.

http://ko-gathering.com/forum/

Still a very strong live retro community across the WORLD who meet up to play.

On topic... I'm 38, and it all started with another Anco favourite, Player Manager! How awesome was this game!?

Premier Manager, and all the sequels and the addition editors, followed by LMA, then onto Playstations etc...

Never really played Championship Manager as I was late onto PC's, they were for work lol

But played FM a long time ago... Hoping to get FMH15. I always wanted a portable version of Player Manager (had KO2 on the GameBoy!)

My wife also knows not to disturb me when playing Fifa on PS4, but I fear FMH15 will take over, take over everything !!

p.s. Hi guys!!

I'm 34, playing since 1999/2000, CM 3 the first one. I'll stop with it if I get blind, senile, die or something like that.

Before that I used to play another management games, like Elifoot, USM, etc.

With Steam we got some idea of the amount of hours spent, i got around 550 hours/year in the last years. Maybe a little bit more than this when i was younger.

im 28. and have been playing since CM97.

lost a couple of girlfriends in high school because of this game. though im still holding back purchasing fm 15 because of its buggy ME i will still buy it in March and hope the game doesn't ruin my marriage life too much. :lol:

I'm 26, and I've been playing since I was 7 (I think - it was CM2, which was released in 1995, so 7 makes sense). I have a very clear memory of my dad buying the game for me, because he wanted to play it. We used to play together as Reading - my Dad's team - before I decided to have my own game, also as Reading. I vividly remember a guy called John Scales getting sent off in an important match, and I used to print off the player ratings and stats after every game. I had folders full of these match stats for years.

I played CM2 until 2003, when I got a used copy of CM01/02 for 99p. I played a really long game with AC Milan on that, where Nico Anelka was my star striker, scoring over 70 league goals one season.

Since FM2005 I have bought every new version and generally end up doing a Liverpool save, although I had a good save doing an all-British squad at Aston Villa on 09.

So yeah. 26 years old, played since I was 7 or 8. That's a huge chunk of my life. I guess that ratio will only get bigger.

Archived