Official Football Manager 2015 Pre Release Beta Feedback Thread - Update 15.0.3

well just downloaded the demo as Villa. Been playing Football Manager when it was called Football Manager by Kevin Toms, so a while. Always excited by the new launch. First half of first pre-season game and I have scored 5 times in the first 10 minutes. Not impressed. We'll see how it plays out but right now FM14 is enough for me.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously, I'm considering just throwing in the towel for right now and taking the short wait until friday hoping they've fixed this stuff. The opposition scoring from the majority of corners makes this unplayable.

The opposition don't score from the majority of corners. Into February in my first season, nobody in the BPL has conceded more than 5 times from corners; nobody has conceded more than 3 times from direct free kicks; nobody has conceded more than 5 times from indirect free kicks. The average for all three stats is about 2. It's no different in Spain or Italy - average of about 2 goals conceded from each type of set piece.

I only have the lower English leagues on full (other than the top flight in each of England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany), but the story there is about the same; if anything the lower leagues have less goals from set pieces, marginally.

No offense but I think what you mean is that your team concedes from corners too often, in which case it's your tactical setup.

Anyone else finding a large amount of goals scored are coming from crosses? Haven't got time to go through loads of matches checking goals unfortunately but it feels to me as a lot of goals are from crosses

Nope. All of the leading players on assists in all of the major leagues on my save are AMCs. My own team has 51/81 goals from passes. We concede most regularly through crosses but, well, Manchester United do not have a tall defence - no shock there!

Nope. All of the leading players on assists in all of the major leagues on my save are AMCs. My own team has 51/81 goals from passes. We concede most regularly through crosses but, well, Manchester United do not have a tall defence - no shock there!

Play in the Bundesliga..

Almost everything comes from crosses and width regardless of how good your defense is...

So yes, I'm indeed finding I'm both scoring and conceding a rather large amount from crosses

Perhaps the real bug is that there is no good feedback as to what your training is doing? I just try to put it as heavy as possible without too many people being unhappy and then lower theirs individually. Does it work? <shrug> Guess so?

There's a ton of feedback on training's effect on your team. Firstly you have reports from coaches informing you of how much progress players have made over the last few months; secondly, players give feedback themselves (enjoying training, unhappy, etc). Thirdly, you can watch condition recovery after a match. Fourthly, injuries. Fifthly, you can pay close attention to the Natural Fitness of your players, as well as reports from your staff RE injury proneness. (Players with poor Natural Fitness and high injury proneness are, unsurprisingly, going to get injured frequently.)

Players who are unhappy with their training (if it's set to medium and you have them on medium workload individual focus or less) have poor Professionalism. This means that

1. They won't ever reach their full potential unless the difference between current ability and potential ability is not too great;

2. The reason for 1 is that you can't train them as hard as a more professional player;

3. Attempting to train them at a higher level will possibly result in injuries as their dedication is not sufficient to ensure they have the appropriate lifestyle and apply themselves well enough to ensure that they maintain a high degree of fitness. At the very least, there's no real benefit to training them more than they're willing to apply themselves to; it just annoys them.

Every player, taking into account all of the above, has a "sweet spot" of training level. Now, you can be hyper-finicky about it and, for example, set your overall training to be fairly light and then apply heavier individual training on a per player basis (my own approach in FM14 but not thus far in FM15), or you can just go medium and only apply individual training to players who can handle the extra workload.

Or you can just overtrain players and cross your fingers and hope the injuries won't mount up too much.

Regardless of your approach, expect 2-8 injuries at any one time at any point in your season, with 8 at once being a bit of a crisis and 2 being a time of rejoicing and happiness. If you have more than 8 injuries at once regularly and they're long-term injuries (and often the same players, over and over again), rethink your training approach and look to make it lighter for those players.

Another important thing is to remember that if you have a packed schedule, it is better to allow players to recover condition quickly between matches than to over-train them. Playing Saturday-Wednesday-Sunday means a rest for every player who takes part (probably just the first 11, and maybe not the goalkeeper, really - but possibly also one or two of the substitutes, depending on how early in the game they were brought on and how low their condition is; essentially any player who took part and is <90%, for me) for 1 day after each fixture. Shift-click the first team after the match, give em a day's rest, and voila. Recovered condition, but everyone else still gets the training they need.

I personally never ever set overall rest days in the training screen because it's easier to set them for those players who actually need them, rather than affecting everyone's fitness (players who do not need a rest and are given one will lose fitness; players who need a rest and aren't given one will regain fitness more slowly).

Play in the Bundesliga..

Almost everything comes from crosses and width regardless of how good your defense is...

So yes, I'm indeed finding I'm both scoring and conceding a rather large amount from crosses

Looking at stats in my save for the Bundesliga suggests that there's a good mix of central-and-wide players getting a decent number of assists, though. Three out of the top ten are DMCs; three are wide players; four are AMCs. Not a perfect way to measure it but it looks like a decent balance. Perhaps the transfer dealings in your save have lead to shorter CDs with weaker positioning/marking attributes?

ok guys so my feedback. I am only going to comment on the negatives or make suggestions. The rest from the UI (except team selection) to the graphics/animations and match engine (even though engine does still need tweaking which is understandable) is fantastic.

Team Selection - Ok I get it its changed, Im not happy however improvements have been made such as the ability to right click (I still use squad screen from now on) players into positions. I think there needs to be an option to have the Roles area on the far left to be slim-lined, so it can be abbreviated to DR, DC, BWM, AP, T etc

Also please add the player roles onto the formation graphics on the right.

Now this is a suggestion Ive wanted to make for a number of FM's and thats a button for deselcting the whole team. I personally like to deselect the whole team before every game (a fresh pallet if you will) and it annoys me that I have to click on the drop down menu next to quick pick and then click on deselect whole team. Any chance there could be a button (it doesn't have to be big... maybe a small RED square or something so it stands out that if you press this it will deselect everyone) next to the quick pick button on both the team selection and the squad screens?

Anyway keep up the good work, I told myself I wouldn't play the beta this time round but AGAIN couldn't help myself haha

Roaming Playmaker, Regista and Half Back? Try hovering your mouse over the empty spaces and the roles might appear - sometimes my game does this (no idea why that it is, but one I highlight where it should be it appears and stays).

Anyone know how to ask a player to find himself a club? I tried to sell 5 players and no offers were made for any of them. I was allowed to ask the first man to find his own club but not the other 4 players...

Roaming Playmaker, Regista and Half Back? Try hovering your mouse over the empty spaces and the roles might appear - sometimes my game does this (no idea why that it is, but one I highlight where it should be it appears and stays).

No, that doesn't do anything.

When I load the 15.0.2 update, I was almost playing the fastest Football Manager series ever on my computer but I installed 15.0.3 , when I push one of the button or confirm game react after 5-10 second so I can't play FM 2015 right now.

Everybody is mentioning about how they got faster game after update but I got opposite effect of the 15.0.3

What is the wrong with it? Anybody help??

are penalties still broken? just focused on them for the first time, a match ended 12-11, only one missed penalty.

Penalties aren't broken. Occasional long shoot-outs do seem to happen though. It would be great if you could upload that PKM and report it in the Match Engine section of the bugs forum.

Anyone else finding a large amount of goals scored are coming from crosses? Haven't got time to go through loads of matches checking goals unfortunately but it feels to me as a lot of goals are from crosses

Yes, I'm seeing the same. Crosses are not properly defended, and wide players have too easy a time running past defenders.

Last 10 matches I've scored 37 goals, 22 from crosses. Mostly low crosses towards the near post/center.

Also, prior to the update the best wide players averaged around 4-6 dribbles pr game, now they are around 10-12 pr game.

Yeah. Thats a really big problem for me playing beta - I conceded about 50% goals from crosses! And its not like that world class wingers have much time to deliver a cross - usually assists come from average wide players marked by my full backs.

Beside that its very good game. I hope some tweaks here and there and it will be great.

Some interesting figures from the Demo.

10 games in (for most teams) and we're averaging 2.78 goals per game.

Last season real life average was 2.77, this year its currently 2.79...... you cant get much closer than that!

emaFrNR.png

And i haven't conceded from a corner :thup:

8mDyS5u.png

You have to work hard to create clear cut chances and goals, at least West Brom do, that's the way it should be :thup:

Guys, you have a great ME in the Demo...... DON'T MESS IT UP NOW!!

Back on a laptop (from Mac) for the first time in a long time. Trying to scroll down the table using the Synaptics driver and it doesn't scroll within FM. Doesn't it work or am i missing something obvious? The scrolling symbol comes up but they don't scroll.

Cheers

Playing my 1st match now, so obviously I don't know yet how things will play out on how the players act, but my very 1st impressions of what I've seen so far are that the defenders don't seem to be daundering about on the ball for ages rather than passing to someone who's in the open. They also don't seem to be just jogging about going nowhere and then suddenly kicking the ball out, inexplicably, for a throw in. Also, the ME does look fantastic with the way the pitch and players looks and the way they move. I'm loving the way the fans are waving, jumping around; you actually see match stewards in the stands now as well; can see the emergency crews with their stretchers at the corners of the pitches along with what look like the odd cop or two; the area outside the pitch like the houses & roads or whatever looks superb; even the burger vans and all the other wee graphics around the pitches are nicely done. While they aren't big additions to the way the game actually plays, obviously, they are very nice touches that do add to that "match day feel". I'm playing as Arbroath in my first pre-season game against Heriot-Watt University, so I can only imagine what the bigger games will look like.

One big issue that I had with the ME in FM14 was the ice skating and the ridiculous ball physics when it travelled so easily from one end of the pitch to the other, but THANK f**k that has now gone! The players are actually running/walking now rather than ice skating and the ball doesn't travel for miles with a mere tap. It actually goes through the air and rolls like a normal ball and not an ice puck.

Also I LOVE the new Touchline Team Talk and I think this will be a great addition. SO many times I wanted a way to tell a player who was committing to many fouls to ease off or a player who's maybe making a bit too many mistakes to concentrate. Now we have that it, so we'll see how that plays out too.

I don't usually buy the game every year, but so far I'm liking this version and there could very well be a chance that I will be buying this after the last update & transfers has been applied in February/March.

still too many injuries :( just had 4 players get injured during training and out for 3-4 weeks :/ other than that :thup: good job SI

please stop reporting this nonsense omg. It's been adressed multiple times. Everybody get's some bad luck at sometime. Overall the injury rates are lower than in real life. If you constantly have to many injuries, you have a to hard training schedule (and no, just because it worked in fm14, does not mean it's okay in fm15)

My Feedback: ME seems to by improved now, but I have to still, i still get to many goals. Raffael has 10 goals in 6 games in the Bundesliga. I average 3,9 goals in the first 5 games in my new save.

please stop reporting this nonsense omg. It's been adressed multiple times. Everybody get's some bad luck at sometime. Overall the injury rates are lower than in real life. If you constantly have to many injuries, you have a to hard training schedule (and no, just because it worked in fm14, does not mean it's okay in fm15)

My Feedback: ME seems to by improved now, but I have to still, i still get to many goals. Raffael has 10 goals in 6 games in the Bundesliga. I average 3,9 goals in the first 5 games in my new save.

Bare in mind my feedback was for the DEMO. My numbers for the BETA were all over the place.

One of the issues about having 2 versions of the match engine live at the same time, no one knows which version people are talking about half the time.

Bare in mind my feedback was for the DEMO. My numbers for the BETA were all over the place.

One of the issues about having 2 versions of the match engine live at the same time, no one knows which version people are talking about half the time.

The too many goals issue is more visible in lower leagues or lower ranked countries. frankly, in major leagues I did not see any issue with goals scored even in 15.02

Played the demo a little while longer, and I'm gonna have to repeat the extent of my issue with the tactics screen- to be honest, it's getting to the point where it's bad enough for me to skip FM15 and come back for FM16, or at least wait until there's a skin which does some major surgery on it.

qOQay3Z.png

This is the screen I am greeted with. The default view on the Tactics screen does not let me see which position each player can play in. That is perhaps the single most important piece of information I need when trying to set up a tactic. I don't at that point need to know their morale, their form or whether they're home grown- hell, I don't even need to know their name. I just need to know which positions they can play. But it's not there. And, to compound the problem, trying to get that information to appear on the tactics screen as a column is a positively Sisyphean task. Adding, resizing and removing columns seems to have a different outcome every time- none of which are the intended effect. I've seen columns grow, shrink, vanish and appear.

I appreciate it was a design choice to move the Roles information to a column, rather than keeping it on the pitch. But it was a bad one, and one which is making just putting a basic tactic together, even just changing players from one game to the next, a real slog.

The issue you have is that much of the UI is catered to wide-screen resolutions, same as me. On a 4:3 screen, the positions don't appear. You also see that the header names aren't displayed fully [...], since there is just not enough wide space on 4:3 screens, in particular now with the main navigation bar on the left taking space already. However, you can edit the default columns yourself. Doing such will make anything appear you like to. However you may be adviced to "remove" some columns outright and think hard about what you will get to see displayed. There just isn't enough wide screen space on 4:3 screens to support multiple columns, and the game appears to assume you're on wide screen by default.

lrrpKc7.jpg

Moving the "position" to a higher pecking order (as to appear right behind the "information" column).

PCrUk7Z.jpg

Players' positional abilities now appear as the third column as edited, however note how 4:3 screens aren't suited to showing this many columns at once. That is why the "position" wasn't shown without editing in the first place, the column takes quite a chunk of wide screen space.

Speaking about the UI catered to wide-screen resolutions, the menu bar on the left luckily is only permanent if you re-open a match and watch the highlights. For 4:3 users this still means that a big part of the screen is then taken by the menu bar. On your own match day experience the menu bar is faded out. I think it is the only time it disappears, except for if you start a game -- after you have picked your profile and your club and start your game, it pops in from the left and is made to stay permanently except for when your own matches kick off.

Yep its a known issue with defending specifically from crosses and corners

well just downloaded the demo as Villa. Been playing Football Manager when it was called Football Manager by Kevin Toms, so a while. Always excited by the new launch. First half of first pre-season game and I have scored 5 times in the first 10 minutes. Not impressed. We'll see how it plays out but right now FM14 is enough for me.

That's a completely different game dude. FM as it is know started out as Championship Manager written by the Collyer brothers in their bedroom. The first version was released for the Amiga, I think in '93. Came in a Red box

still too many injuries :( just had 4 players get injured during training and out for 3-4 weeks :/ other than that :thup: good job SI

What statistics are you using to judge there are too many injuries. I expect in FM it actually runs slightly LESS than real life

Guest El Payaso

Half a season down now with the update and updating my own view also.

- Middle of the park. Used to be better with the previous update as you rarely saw those long runs with the ball through the middle. Also it seems that only dispossessions that you face in the midfield are from bad passes. It's like a kids' playground once again. In previous update it was fantastic once again that midfielders made bad touches on the ball and dribbling wasn't so smooth so it was harder (and also more realistic) to try get through from the middle.

Also this: has anyone actually seen something creative from deep lying playmakers that should show their magic at times? I haven't.

Defensive minded midfielders not respected at all. They make stupid decisions with timing of their closing down which opens spaces in the midfield. Also they're mainly just fouling at the edge of the penalty area and not even those really good ones regularly win you the ball back cleanly and start counter attacks like that.

Also long shot goals so rare in this year's version too.

- Wide play. Yeah, mentioned this earlier but it is too effective. Really not rewarding to see your team to score/concede just because your winger makes a magic run past two defending players before crossing the ball in. Yeah, they should be able to dribble past at times but you shouldn't be able to trust that players' ability to dribble and cross gets you the results that you need.

Full backs are also still quite poor at marking those in cutting wingers and like I said before, in long and lower tempo attacks those attacking full-backs are unmarked all the time and get you free (and always dangerous) crosses to the penalty area.

- Tactics. I'm really fallen out of FM tactics a long time ago. I see things on the pitch that I don't want to see from my players but I am not able to instruct them to get rid of these features in their game as I am not able to instruct them properly. Gotta 'love' seeing no closing down at all when you need that goal at dying moments of the game. And when AI team is in possession at their own half, my attacking mid and forward often seem to be holding hands and positioning themselves poorly.

What I would like to be able to say is for my players: when they have the ball there, I want you to position yourselves here.

I've used 2 minutes to create my tactics in first season and haven't tweaked them a single bit and my second season was like this:

5458f2fcf3996.jpg

It's good that you have made it easy for new players but it's so boring and only scratching the surface of real football tactics. I would love to put and effort in tactics but how can I when I can make them in 2 minutes and have no sensible tweaking options and don't really need to do anything cause the results are good.

What statistics are you using to judge there are too many injuries. I expect in FM it actually runs slightly LESS than real life

Its not like im setting training to a high level as soon as i get a injury i change it to average but even then im still getting injuries or even knocks during games which turn out to be a 3-4 week injury which is annoying its pretty much happened in the 2Saves ive got running

Question re injuries

Can training or rather over training cause injuries during games?

...or just injuries during training.

Wasn't sure if this was just a common misconception

Yes it can. If a players condition gets too low during the game then injuries are more likely, since high workload training regimes will lower a players condition it does increase the chances of injury at any time.

Also there's the hidden jadedness number, the higher your players jadedness the more chance of injuries as it will lower his condition as well. High workload training regimes will make him more jaded :)

So yeah, in the end injuries could still come back to your training regime even if they're only happening in a match :)

The issue you have is that much of the UI is catered to wide-screen resolutions, same as me. On a 4:3 screen, the positions don't appear. You also see that the header names aren't displayed fully [...], since there is just not enough wide space on 4:3 screens, in particular now with the main navigation bar on the left taking space already. However, you can edit the default columns yourself. Doing such will make anything appear you like to. However you may be adviced to "remove" some columns outright and think hard about what you will get to see displayed. There just isn't enough wide screen space on 4:3 screens to support multiple columns, and the game appears to assume you're on wide screen by default.

lrrpKc7.jpg

Moving the "position" to a higher pecking order (as to appear right behind the "information" column).

PCrUk7Z.jpg

Players' positional abilities now appear as the third column as edited, however note how 4:3 screens aren't suited to showing this many columns at once. That is why the "position" wasn't shown without editing in the first place, the column takes quite a chunk of wide screen space.

Speaking about the UI catered to wide-screen resolutions, the menu bar on the left luckily is only permanent if you re-open a match and watch the highlights. For 4:3 users this still means that a big part of the screen is then taken by the menu bar. On your own match day experience the menu bar is faded out. I think it is the only time it disappears, except for if you start a game -- after you have picked your profile and your club and start your game, it pops in from the left and is made to stay permanently except for when your own matches kick off.

Yup this has been mentioned several times on this forum. Apparently our feedback means nothing anymore.. They added a sidebar and didn't seem to bother to resize everything else to fit properly.

And the tactics screen is a major pace palm, even after we told them so..

Yup this has been mentioned several times on this forum. Apparently our feedback means nothing anymore.. They added a sidebar and didn't seem to bother to resize everything else to fit properly.

And the tactics screen is a major pace palm, even after we told them so..

:lol: melodramatic much?

If the feedback meant nothing, they wouldn't pore over this thread each year to fix anything found, or add new features. They don't have to do any of this, but still do.

Half a season down now with the update and updating my own view also.

- Middle of the park. Used to be better with the previous update as you rarely saw those long runs with the ball through the middle. Also it seems that only dispossessions that you face in the midfield are from bad passes. It's like a kids' playground once again. In previous update it was fantastic once again that midfielders made bad touches on the ball and dribbling wasn't so smooth so it was harder (and also more realistic) to try get through from the middle.

Also this: has anyone actually seen something creative from deep lying playmakers that should show their magic at times? I haven't.

Defensive minded midfielders not respected at all. They make stupid decisions with timing of their closing down which opens spaces in the midfield. Also they're mainly just fouling at the edge of the penalty area and not even those really good ones regularly win you the ball back cleanly and start counter attacks like that.

Also long shot goals so rare in this year's version too.

- Wide play. Yeah, mentioned this earlier but it is too effective. Really not rewarding to see your team to score/concede just because your winger makes a magic run past two defending players before crossing the ball in. Yeah, they should be able to dribble past at times but you shouldn't be able to trust that players' ability to dribble and cross gets you the results that you need.

Full backs are also still quite poor at marking those in cutting wingers and like I said before, in long and lower tempo attacks those attacking full-backs are unmarked all the time and get you free (and always dangerous) crosses to the penalty area.

- Tactics. I'm really fallen out of FM tactics a long time ago. I see things on the pitch that I don't want to see from my players but I am not able to instruct them to get rid of these features in their game as I am not able to instruct them properly. Gotta 'love' seeing no closing down at all when you need that goal at dying moments of the game. And when AI team is in possession at their own half, my attacking mid and forward often seem to be holding hands and positioning themselves poorly.

What I would like to be able to say is for my players: when they have the ball there, I want you to position yourselves here.

I've used 2 minutes to create my tactics in first season and haven't tweaked them a single bit and my second season was like this:

5458f2fcf3996.jpg

It's good that you have made it easy for new players but it's so boring and only scratching the surface of real football tactics. I would love to put and effort in tactics but how can I when I can make them in 2 minutes and have no sensible tweaking options and don't really need to do anything cause the results are good.

Congratulations, can I suggest you invest some of your time helping out in the tactics forum, as there's plenty of people who would benefit from what you have achieved.

I am finding the update really really easy tbh. I dont have a team miles better than the rest of my league, but im walking games 3/4-0 almost every week. Have a good winger in your team and your sorted he will get cross after cross into the box and eventually you will score from one, which in turn makes the AI open up to equalize and you can have a ball just attacking the wings without any real thought. Once your in high moral there is almost no stopping you. In my last game my right winger attempted 27 crosses, and i had 19 corners in the game. Just an insane number of chances from wide area's.

For people moaning about the effectiveness with cross balls, it would be advisable to pull up the match stats and have a look at the completed crosses stat. For my last few matches, both teams cross completion percentage is very low, which means that not every cross is a goal, and in fact, the fullbacks are doing an effective job of stopping them.

Goals WILL come from crosses, and if you play a formation with wingers and look to exploit the flanks, you will see a high percentage of goals from this manner. But don't mistake this for crosses (or corners) being overpowered, because they're really not in the grand scheme of things, well not that I've seen anyway.

I am finding the update really really easy tbh. I dont have a team miles better than the rest of my league, but im walking games 3/4-0 almost every week. Have a good winger in your team and your sorted he will get cross after cross into the box and eventually you will score from one, which in turn makes the AI open up to equalize and you can have a ball just attacking the wings without any real thought. Once your in high moral there is almost no stopping you. In my last game my right winger attempted 27 crosses, and i had 19 corners in the game. Just an insane number of chances from wide area's.

I play with good wingers, and like to get cross balls in, and I'm seeing nowhere close to this level of effectiveness. I'm playing as a decent championship team, and we're in line for the playoffs again, nothing more, which is pretty realistic. I just don't see this over-reliance on crosses and ease of play that others have. Weird.

:lol: melodramatic much?

If the feedback meant nothing, they wouldn't pore over this thread each year to fix anything found, or add new features. They don't have to do any of this, but still do.

Have you played the game this year yet? If you're telling me the tactics screen is good then you need to have a rethink.

Have you played the game this year yet? If you're telling me the tactics screen is good then you need to have a rethink.

Not really relevant though, is it? This screen is, what, just under 2 weeks old? In your view, the fact that it hasn't been ripped out and started again is concrete proof that SI don't listen anymore? That's where the melodrama comes in.

And for the record, I'm getting on fine with the tactics screen. But I guess I must just be an awful person since I disagree with you.

Archived