Football Manager 2015 Features Video Official Feedback Thread

See, that's the problem: A multiple world defender of the year should not be regarded a 3 stars potential player. Even if he only has a PA of 140, he should be considered a player of much more potential, because of his performances. However, in FM scouts just take some kind of look at the database number PA instead of looking at what happens in the game

That's where you earn your corn as manager, to have confidence that you know better than your scouts, you are the Manager afterall.

I dont think we want FM to become a 'game by numbers', there needs to be room for surprises, error, some unknown elements a bit of magic & mystery if you like.

If its simply a case of 'I can replace my 3 star left backwith a 3.5 star left back and guarantee better performances & results' then that would be a pretty boring game.

Scouting is far too powerful, FM15 has gone a small way to address that but time will tell whether its gone far enough.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, that's the problem: A multiple world defender of the year should not be regarded a 3 stars potential player. Even if he only has a PA of 140, he should be considered a player of much more potential, because of his performances. However, in FM scouts just take some kind of look at the database number PA instead of looking at what happens in the game

Firstly, the scouts had nothing to do with his star rating, he was already in the team, the player I signed for the role was scouted at 4 stars. Which was wildly inaccurate. He got injured for 8 months so the backup player filled the role and filled it well enough to keep my new player out of the game.

The coaches decide the rating a player gets, and the coaches in the game certainly have no access to hidden attributes like CA and PA. It's based purely on their age, their current stats, their current progression (stats going up or down etc.) and it's also levied against other players who play a similar role. Whereas the player with better stats gets 4 stars, and the player with lesser gets gets 3 stars, 2 stars etc. depending on how close the "Perceived Potential Ability" and "Perceived Current Ability" are.

Which is all the coaches can reflect on - it's a guess, and the better your coaches the better the estimation for the star rating.

In a different system, with a different role, with a different training, with different injuries - things could have been worse for him, he might never have got a game. It just so happened that my star right back was injured for 8 months, and he never made it back into the team because the other player was playing so well. As a result the star right back I bought, his star rating slipped and slipped because he could not get a game. His CA and PA star rating steadily declined with lack of games. But why would a play a player who doesn't play as a well as a player who is playing so well and winning player of the month, player of the season, world defender of the year?

It just so happened that he had all the right level of player stats for the role and system, and it suited his stats more than the 4 star player.

These sort of things happen all the time in real life - look at Veron, a starring player for Lazio - but made no impact in England. Then look at players like Kinkladze - played storming football in England and then went to Ajax and not so successful.

It's just sometimes the star ratings from scouts and star ratings from coaches can be wrong. But according to the coaches he was a 3 star defender - in comparison to the other player I had, who was rated much higher by the coaching staff.

THIS!!!

Way too often on this board I've read the "but CA and PA are hidden, you're not supposed to know them, so stop using editors and just play the game" excuse, but the point is even though we can't see CA and PA, AI staff do, with the odd behaviours and outcomes mentioned above...

Human managers can draw blood from stones, therefore it can happen an average player becomes a world-beater, or at least a recognized Top Player. Yet again AI managers, coaches and scouts will not look past the CA/PA numbers, sticking with the original assessment.

So if my 140/140 striker has been domestic topscorer for 5 years in a row and has netted a plenty in Champions League too, he'll never attract offers higher than 2M or the interest of Top Clubs... So I'll have to keep on turning down awful offers from the likes of Twente or WBA, while a 17yo youngster who hasn't played a single senior game will have Bayern and Barça come up with 5M just because the scouts can see his PA.

In FM you'll NEVER see expensive bluffs or one-season wonders because the game isn't programmed to do so. The only scenarios when a big-money signings turns out crap are:

a) youngster with high PA but with terrible attributes/mentality/distribution (then again, if scouts would look past the PA figure, they'd know who has bright future and who is indeed not worth the fuss)

b) Ai hoarding on good players they don't really need.

But besides that, signings and careers tend to be too predictable, dictated by the unholy trinity of CA, PA and Reputation

You need to read my reply above.

I think you're wrong when you write coaches don't see CA or PA... They do! Otherwise they would NEVER rate my all-time topscorer at 2* and his partner (who has better attributes but is somehow less effective) 3*.

Stats =/= attributes... In FM a player with better attributes (ie. with higher CA and likely PA) will always be rated higher than a player with lower attributes, regardless of how well they've been performing.

That's also why yearly awards go to the same couple of players, even though others may have had better seasons than the Top Guys.

What we and all the in-game staff should be able to see and to judge the players on is:

1) Current performance (ie. stats)

2) Attributes

3) Past performance (ie. history)

(P)PA could sitll play a role in that, but only for younger players, and it should still be linked to how and where a youngster is playing... You can't really assess a kid's potential if he hasn't played a single game besides U19 competitions.

The game is way too accurate and way too straightforward in terms of players rating.

Sure, WE can see a 2.5* CM is still the best choice, but AI managers, coaches and scouts will inevitably overlook him in favour of whatever (crap) player has a higher CA/PA/Reputation. And that's why you can build a successful side with free agents, leftovers and rejects...

While AI clubs will gladly renew the contract to a 35yo Messi and will spend 15M on a Balotelli-esque winger (despite fielding a diamond 4-4-2), you'll be able to get the best out of "forgotten" players or hidden gems other clubs wouldn't even consider...

The coaches decide the rating a player gets, and the coaches in the game certainly have no access to hidden attributes like CA and PA.

Do me a favor. Create a player in the DB. Age around 16 CA and PA at 100.

Clone the player and give the new one PA of 200.

Take over the clubs they play in, and see if the assistant rate them similarly.

If you don’t want to I have done this experiment before, and he doesn’t.

I'm afraid he's right on this RB, if nothing else, they don't.

Then how would you explain the example given by Matshit right above you? (f course it is a made up situation he describes, but this is only for the purpose of finding out if the scouts/coaches have access to the PA number).

Of course they do "see" it, exactly the same way scouts do. They don't look at the specific PA number and translate it into stars, if you mean that by "see". But they take the number let's say 150 and then use certain variables and factors on the number, like the age, the current CA, and then of course their own judging ability, perhaps other factors too. And then they translate it into stars (in comparison to the average CA of your squad, so a 4 star PPA in league 2 is something else than a 4 star PPA in the premier league). Of course this may lead to a wrong guess, but they DO use the actual PA number in the calculation. But they shouldn't. They should only focus on things visibile in game (stats, performance, age etc., wrote about it yesterday in this thread)

I'm afraid he's right on this RB, if nothing else, they don't.

Then how is it possible the staff ALWAYS rate the player with higher CA/PA higher than another one with lower CA/PA, even though the latter has been performing much better?

How come two youngsters with similar current abilities are rated so differently (when player A has high PA and player B doesn't)?

I mean, coaches can even give us players' reports, and I don't really buy the "they only judge performance and attributes", because if it was the case, they couldn't tell us stuff like "Coach X thinks player Y has the potential to become a leading Premier League striker" or "Player Z isn't likely to improve in the future"

Then how would you explain the example given by Matshit right above you? )

I don't, we've had this debate before (many times) but in spite of that I think it's worth starting a new thread once we've released FM15 so the whole scouting scene can be revisited in tandem with the changes being made to it.

This thread isn't the place for it really.

The star rating from scouts is a rating that they think the player has compared to similar players in your squad.

If you are playing as Brentford and have 3 wingers that are all 4 star wingers, and you scout say Neymar, then Neymar will have a star rating of 5 compared to the others in your squad who will be adjusted to 3 stars or less in comparison to Neymar.

If you're playing Tottenham hotspurs, and you have 3 wingers that are all listed a 4 star wingers, then the scout report will show Neymar at 5 stars, and the other players at 3.5 - 4 star.

That's all the scouting does, is compare the scouted player against the player in your squad. It's not based the actual CA or PA of a player at all.

In fact, the scout report never shows what the players PA is, it only shows the CA.

So if you were scout a young winger who in the Editor has a high PA - that won't be reflected in the scout report when comparing to your own players.

That player will only have CA of 1 star compared to your current squad of players.

In the scout report the Scout can give a high PPA - but that's all it is.

Look at it this way.

Every footballing club in the world new of Pele, Maradona, Messi, Beckham, Ronaldo, etc. from a very early age - all touted as the next big thing in football, and indeed from a very early age.

Every scout, every coach, every manger and every media source knew these players? Why because everyone knew they would be absolutely amazing player.

This is what I call a "known ability" for players. And if a player has a super high PA then I think it's just natural that you as a manger in the game should know about him and his PPA as every other club in the world does.

That's actually relatively accurate to real life football.

Players who are middle of the road players with PA of 120 - 160 will never get a 5 star rating for top teams, that's just common sense.

But they will get a 5 star rating for lower league teams etc.

That is simply not true. Increasing the PA without increasing anything else increase the number of stars from the scout. Of course there are other factors in play as well, but the PPA is very influenced by the actual PA as long as the player is young enough to reach the PA.

Chaps, as engrossing as the Star Rating discussion is, it has now meandered away from being directly related to the FM15 Features video into a general discussion about Star Ratings.

Could you please start a new thread in order to continue the discussion (it is a worthwhile one) so this thread can revert back to its purpose please?

Chaps, as engrossing as the Star Rating discussion is, it has now meandered away from being directly related to the FM15 Features video into a general discussion about Star Ratings.

Could you please start a new thread in order to continue the discussion (it is a worthwhile one) so this thread can revert back to its purpose please?

Of course, whoever wants to start a new thread, feel free to copy/quote my arguments in on this page (and the last one I think).

Back on the feedback topic, I am not really impressed by this year's features, not at all to be honest. It all depends on how scouting (and therefore potentially the possibilities of the AI to still compete after several seasons) really has changed. I'll probably download the demo (or buy a code, try the beta and give it back if I don't like it) and see how it turns out, and read in the forums (I suppose after 6 hours we'll have the first long time player development test run over 20 seasons). If it turns out that scouting and player development hasn't really changed at all - and if the match engine in the beta turns out to be as next-to-unplayable as in the previous versions, this will be the first FM in 15 years that I won't buy, as sad as it is. FM 14 was by far the best game in franchise history after the last patch, so while I don't need any really new features, I would have liked the old mechanisms to be reviewed and at least improved even if only under the hood (e.g. I would LOVE to finally see the match rating system being equalized through all positions, so I don't have to make wild guesses anymore or watch entire matches to find out if my defensive holding midfielder is actually good or not, even if he didn't make key passes or goals or headers or tacklings, but "only" covered, delayed and interrupted every attack of the opponent. Thanks to Lucas my Liverpool side conceced absoutlely nothing through the middle, but still has average rating was 6.8 after the season)

I'm going to try to bring the conversations back on track in thread..

Did SI implement any animations for rounding the goalkeeper? we see it in the text but it looks terrible in 2D and 3D? was it done?

Can you? I have done a lot of holidaygaming, just because I like to check what the game is capable of.

I have never seen a Richie Lambert, going from League One at 28 to playing in the national team. Or Giaccherini, going from level 4 at 23, to the national team just four years later.

Or Mehdi Benatia. Playing on the second level in france at 23. Perhaps top three defenders in the world now.

Or Di Natale. Making his Serie A debut at 26. Only behind Messi and Ronaldo in terms of goals scored in top 5 leagues over a 4 year period from 32-36.

Or on a smaller level. Someone like Jamie Vardy, who at the age of 24 got his big move when he went to Fleetwood in the Conference League. He is now at 27 playing in the Premier League.

Or Grant Holt, or Luca Toni, or Andrea Pirlo, or Franck Ribery, or…

You are slightly wrong. On FM12, I got promoted to the Premier League and signed a Curtis Nelson from League One on a free. 2-3 years later, he goes to the Euros. So it is not impossible.

Can you split to fix?

Since i don't see to many drastic changes or adddition in this version I hope the release ME is better than FM 14.3.1 and no bugs are present like too many goals scored, near post corner goals, too many woodworks hit, etc.

No excuse not to improve the ME this time around.

The Beta will become the full version IIRC. You won't have the access to Beta after the full version is released.

I believe he means in the 2 week period while the beta is out, but the full game isn't. If he buys it a week before release, will he get the beta? (I have no idea tbh).

It's a bit quiet around here isn't it? I'm not having a pop or anything, but I would've thought that there would be a bit more in-depth feature coverage from the SI guys in the run-up to the beta release.

Well, quite. The marketing seems rather slow this year.

You are slightly wrong. On FM12, I got promoted to the Premier League and signed a Curtis Nelson from League One on a free. 2-3 years later, he goes to the Euros. So it is not impossible.

Suspect he means without player interference.. i.e the AI taking into account these types of stories

agree with Crispy (588) and Gaffa (584) here

for previous editions, we've had a features video, blogs, podcasts, the whole shebang

for this year (considering the beta flies in a week) we've had virtually nothing other than a features video

#NotFeelingTheLoveForFM15

to weigh into the PA debate, is it possible that youngsters reach it too quickly?

the average age of my side is under 23 right now, and I can refresh it almost every year with someone as talented but younger

ie... sold Balanta at the end of 3rd season (maxed out), replaced with Caulker, replaced with a 21yo Canadian DC, replaced with a 20 yo Australian DC (signed for cheap after a decent WC), replaced by a 20yo Portuguese DC (came through my youth academy during season 3)

also think we need more "speculative punts" from the AI - how often have you seen impulsive buys based on good form (Downing and Carroll -> Liverpool come to mind) and this would NEVER happen in FM, because they wouldn't be rated high enough (an example is Cedric Soares, has averaged over 7.00 in 5 seasons for me, yet noone will touch him because he's 2* PA)

as for a recommendation: CA needs to increase slower (ingame tip says peak at 27, not 23 - half it?) and then maybe some form/av rating comes into the AI squad building (I still remember the screenshots of players moving for ridiculous fees and not playing for clubs - if they're not playing, then they shouldn't be commanding a big fee [okay, Mata an exception here, but maybe desperation])

indeed it is really quiet. to think that we are roughly a week away from beta release this is quite a change in strategy. on the other hand, previous years we had blogs coming up once a week but concentrating on one or two features. in essence it is the same as this time except we got everything in one go.

not sure what to think. i am sure though, there will be other news before beta release- somebody was speaking on editor blog or something. i am no expert on marketing but i hope there will be another round of feature disclosures before the release.

You got it with the bolded part - we probably got about the same amount as always, but we got it in a 30 minute video rather than in bits.

For me, I'm happy enough with how they're doing it. Whenever there's a release of information, you get hundreds of questions of "is X going to be included" and similar. This at least saves them that bother, and will just let them release what they have. Let's face it, some people aren't going to be happy whatever they do. Take the path of least resistance.

Just a quick question... theres a tactic that i have really had as success in fm14 and was wondering can u use fm14 formation tactics in fm15 or no?

I think that's already been confirmed as a "no".

I'm quite glad really as I ended finding a tactic that seem to be pretty unstoppable. Looking forward to starting from scratch again! :)

Just a quick question... theres a tactic that i have really had as success in fm14 and was wondering can u use fm14 formation tactics in fm15 or no?

That's a difficult question to answer, because it depends. If you had a tactic based on real-world logic, then as with all other versions, you can still use it and probably do as well.

Hunt3r what i ment was it was a user created from the tactics section and ive found it very helpfuly with my Guiseley Skrill north club and was hoping to maybe use it again in the new verison of FM...

Secondly my question is besides the 27 minute video about the key new features and such will there be another youtube video coming out before the beta is released next friday.

Thirdly.. I know beta is like a demo so not the full game is released until the 7th of November... My question is for the SI staff... Not sure if i hav this correctly or not since i know nothing about programing and such but if the beta comes out next week, is it still possible that something gets added to the game regardless if its big or medium size add to the game before the full demo comes out or besides patches the game that gets released to us on the 7th is the full game nothing else being added expect for patch fixes for glitches

Hunt3r what i ment was it was a user created from the tactics section and ive found it very helpfuly with my Guiseley Skrill north club and was hoping to maybe use it again in the new verison of FM...

My answer still applies. It depends on the tactic.

Thirdly.. I know beta is like a demo so not the full game is released until the 7th of November... My question is for the SI staff... Not sure if i hav this correctly or not since i know nothing about programing and such but if the beta comes out next week, is it still possible that something gets added to the game regardless if its big or medium size add to the game before the full demo comes out or besides patches the game that gets released to us on the 7th is the full game nothing else being added expect for patch fixes for glitches

The Beta is the full game, so it isn't like the demo at all. The full game will be the Beta + as many fixes as SI can squeeze in to what is found during the Beta process.

My answer still applies. It depends on the tactic.

The Beta is the full game, so it isn't like the demo at all. The full game will be the Beta + as many fixes as SI can squeeze in to what is found during the Beta process.

when u say beta is the full game, will we be able to play beyond the 6 month frame or just 6 month spans until november 7th.

As far as the whole tactic thing in the post above i was just explaining more into detail of what i ment in my previous post before that.

An idea i just thought of that i kind of thought of just watching the key features video about the stadium...

With the in game editor as we are playing type thing, can we add teams like at the end of the season...

For example at the end of say Skrill North season, I can create a team from scratch download team kicks and logo and such make a stadium from the designs and name and what not and then sign my youth and main squad players from scratch kind of like a expansion team in other sports, however instead of doing expansion drafts and such we would be signing free transfers

Also notice in real life some teams have youth development at the age of 14 is 15 still the min age that u can sing prospects or is it 14 now?

when u say beta is the full game, will we be able to play beyond the 6 month frame or just 6 month spans until november 7th.
The Demo only allows 6 months of in-game time. The Beta is the full game, so it doesn't. You can play for as long into the game as you want. :thup:

Totally baffling and underwhelming, that there is no news regarding AI, squad building, transfers and such.

I´ve followed this thread and read almost every post and the answer is "it´s being worked on, just like in previous editions"

Given that it has been a problem in previous editions, that does´nt really say much, sadly.

You want to sell me a product, then please tell me how it´s been worked on and what the results showed. I´m actually a potential customer, as i´ve bought almost every edition, but as i do not know enough about your new product im asking about it. I´ll get my information and you´ll get to showcase your game some more, a guarenteed win-win situation.

So how about SI, are you going to tell us a bit about your product or do you expect that we - the customer - will buy without knowing what we buy?

Other to say that it gets worked on and improved every year, what exactly are you expecting them to say? There isn't really much more they can say, is there? We are seeing improvements every year. Reading some of Alex Crawford's posts in GD over the last few months, it becomes clear that the system is already quite advanced. With the new scouting system, presumably it'll be more difficult for us to find young, cheap superstars as well so that's closing the gap even more.

So how about SI, are you going to tell us a bit about your product or do you expect that we - the customer - will buy without knowing what we buy?

Do you have this attitude with every game you buy? I'm buying The Evil Within for the PS4 tomorrow. I haven't been all over the developer's forum demanding they tell me everything that's in the game. I like the premise of it, I've seen a few gameplay videos of it, and it's a genre I enjoy playing, therefore I'll buy it.

As far as this game goes, it's Football Manager, you know what it'll be. The same game it always is with various improvements and enhancements. When did the customer base get so flaming precious?

Do you have this attitude with every game you buy? I'm buying The Evil Within for the PS4 tomorrow. I haven't been all over the developer's forum demanding they tell me everything that's in the game. I like the premise of it, I've seen a few gameplay videos of it, and it's a genre I enjoy playing, therefore I'll buy it.

As far as this game goes, it's Football Manager, you know what it'll be. The same game it always is with various improvements and enhancements. When did the customer base get so flaming precious?

Seconded.

This! The demo is there for undecided people. Other than that you know what you are getting

I agree with Dagenham_Dave and his post but at the same time I have to admit to being very underwhelmed with this years release. Its starting to feel like more and more effort is put into the 3d match engine (my least favourite new edition of the past 5 years personally) and yes i know they have different staff working on different things but apart from the scouting overhaul (which of course sounds great) and the inevitable 3d (which looks the same as the last few years anyway) im struggling to see any real changes. We all want different things and obviously SI cant please everyone and change everything thats requested for the game but with no real news that the ME and AI intelligence is vastly improved, the lack of features and this new apparent marketing ploy, im not particularly excited at all.

Yes, ive pre-ordered the game though. Still a huge fan and have been for 14 years now, just not feeling this version. Hope when i play it im proven wrong :)

This! The demo is there for undecided people. Other than that you know what you are getting

The demo is of no use when it comes to the AI squad building, the demo lasts 6 months and it takes at least 4 years before you can judge the AI squad building.

I disagree with Dave, this is not like buying 'The Evil Within', that is a new game and all they can do is show you what to expect, if there ever becomes a 'The Evil Within 20' I am sure people would be asking questions about the stupid AI.

I guess what people that have long term saves were maybe hoping for was information along the lines of "The AI now targets players that are needed for certain positions", "The AI now does not buy the best young talent and let them rot", "The AI does not allow it's team to age without replacements".

Something along those lines, a simple "it's been worked on" is not really giving any information.

I personally cannot understand why SI have apparently changed marketing tact and gone for one video only so far with info in and thats it. Hardly heard anything else from them since. Not sure thats the best way to go but what i do know.

And yes to daylight post. Although i agree with Dagenham_Dave somewhat i also agree that i certainly would have liked to have heard more intricate details about how the AI has been improved, some people have said its not a feature as its continually improved every year but i disagree as its clearly hugely important to a very large portion of Fm fans.

No info? How about this then?

Just to clarify, AI improving squad building is not a feature. It's something that we do every version as we're always looking to improve it. The transfer market and how it works always undergoes work 'under the hood' so to speak. Given the importance now being given to player roles and as Miles said, how the AI now uses roles more effectively then this is something they'll be looking at in terms of squad building.

Edit: Guys, this is a complex module in the game. There might not be anything specific, apart from what Neil mentioned, but they always working on it and fine-tuning things. If you find anything regarding illogical transfers or squad building in future, please report it.

No im sorry but thats exactly what i meant. They have said its not a feature? Hardly much info in that post by Neil is there. Im talking about features as daylight states above in his post! Its great that they are always looking to improve it but what have they done, what improvements have been made? 3 lines of info isnt exactly much.

Edit: And thats fair enough mate, i know its a complex and difficult part of the game to change but just some more detailed nfo would be nice. If they dont have any then ii personally find that worrying as no info to give means minimal changes in my eyes.

Hunt3r that is exactly what we mean in terms of being vague, so what changes have been made? how does the AI react towards squad building?

Also with all respect of course AI squad building is a feature, it is a feature as much as anything else in the game, without AI squad building there is no game.

Everything gets worked on every year, dear me, for some reason media gets worked on every year, is that no longer a feature then?

It's all good.

I have bought every game of CM/FM, hell I even went through the CM04 nightmare and still I came back for more, I am all out of leaps of faith, if SI can no longer give information on something as important as AI squad building but can go in depth about stupid media responses being added then I will spend my cash on other games.

Archived