Netherlands V Chile and Australia V Spain - 17:00 KO BST - Group B

Djstu23

28770895-vector-illustration-of-netherlands-and-chile-flags-in-puzzle-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

sao-640-paulo-stadium.jpg

Venue: Sao Paulo

Netherlands striker Robin van Persie serves a one-match ban after picking up two bookings.

They could also be without defender Bruno Martins Indi, who suffered concussion against Australia.

Chile head coach Jorge Sampaoli might leave out midfielders Arturo Vidal and Charles Aranguiz.

The pair have both been nursing injuries and each have a yellow card to their name, so another booking would rule them out of the next match.

australia_spain_flags.jpg

41156676.jpg

Venue: Curitiba

Australia midfielder Tim Cahill misses this game as he is suspended after picking up two bookings.

Striker Adam Taggart could take his place, while Ben Halloran and Oliver Bozanic are pushing for starts.

Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque is expected to make a host of changes now his side are out, so inexperienced players such as Koke could start.

Gerard Pique is a doubt with an adductor muscle problem, while David De Gea has a buttock muscle injury.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be better to make a thread for both games that are played at same time, ex: one thread for both Brazil-Cameroon and Mexico-Croatia.

Kuyt :D When we have Hunter and Lens :D

Can van Gaal say any clearer that we'd rather play Brazil than Mexico after this? ^^

Impressions from last trainings are that Holland is gonna play 4-3-3 with Kuyt at left wing and Lens as main striker

Really looking forward to this one. Thinking about applying for Chilean citizenship if they continue to play with the same cavalier attitude they have for the last few years.

I <3 Gary Medel :cool:

Chile to win. Tipped them to top this group and not changing my mind. My dark horse for the tournament. Love 'em. :cool:

How has RvP picked up two yellows btw? Missed both of the Netherlands' games so not sure how he got 'em. Silly challenges, silly actions, arguing with the ref, what? Strange because I'm sure he is the first man of the tournament to be banned for two yellows. And he is not a name I would have expected to be in the running for that honour :D

Oooooooo proper big game here

So, Brazil play before Dutch group but today it's moved. They will play the runner up so now get a little more rest ;) van Gaal wasn't happy

Which Chilean and Dutch are on yellows as they can expect a booking today to ensure they miss out on playing Brazil :p

Chile to win. Tipped them to top this group and not changing my mind. My dark horse for the tournament. Love 'em. :cool:

How has RvP picked up two yellows btw? Missed both of the Netherlands' games so not sure how he got 'em. Silly challenges, silly actions, arguing with the ref, what? Strange because I'm sure he is the first man of the tournament to be banned for two yellows. And he is not a name I would have expected to be in the running for that honour :D

Tim Cahill is also missing.

What is this nonsense with Group B being decided earlier than Group A anyway? Can FIFA make it any more blatant that they want Brazil to get all the advantage?

What is this nonsense with Group B being decided earlier than Group A anyway? Can FIFA make it any more blatant that they want Brazil to get all the advantage?

I think they probably want Brazil in the better TV time rather than any sort of advantages

it's better over here as it's prime time, I think PMLF said that night games (7pm) don't do as well in Brazil as earlier ones do

van Gaal is the boss, but I would have opted for 3-5-2 instead of 4-3-3. Chili have to win, we are OK with a draw. Then again, maybe van Gaal has seen something we didn't, maybe he can see Chili's forwards being starved if their midfield keeps getting overrun or something.

They will have been preparing for this match for months, so missing RVP aside, the main plans will have been in place for quite some time, including tactical choice I presume. Plus, Holland played a bit crap in the last match while in 3-5-2/5-3-2, so on that alone it makes some sense to switch to 4-3-3.

I think the 3-5-2 works well against attacking teams and I've got a feeling that Chili will be doing a lot of that today. But yeah, you're right, the decision will have been made long before today.

Mexico 1 - 1 Croatia, and Cameroon 1 - 0 Brazil would be pretty funny :)

• Administrators

#NED LINE-UP: Cillessen, Vlaar. De Vrij, Blind, De Jong, Janmaat, Sneijder, Robben ©, Kuyt, Lens, Wijnaldum

#CHI LINE-UP: Bravo ©, Mena, Isla, Silva, Sanchez, Vargas, Gutierrez, Medel, Jara, Aranguiz, Diaz

#AUS LINE-UP: Ryan, Davidson, Spiranovic, Leckie, Taggart, Oar, Bozanic, Jedinak ©, McKay, McGowan, Wilkinson

#ESP LINE-UP: Reina, Albiol, Juanfran, Iniesta, Villa, Torres, Alonso, Ramos ©, Koke, Alba, Cazorla

He almost got a red in the Australia game, silly challenges in both games but he puts an extra in his tackles ala Suarez

He almost got a red in the Australia game, silly challenges in both games but he puts an extra in his tackles ala Suarez

Ah right, cheers :thup:

Surprised that people think this will be 'comfortable' for Netherlands. Have people not been impressed by Chile? Thought Chile's performance v Spain was better than Netherlands v Spain because in the latter Spain just gave up, essentially. Plus Casillas was godawful in the first game. V Chile he was poor but not as poor.

Ah right, cheers :thup:

Surprised that people think this will be 'comfortable' for Netherlands. Have people not been impressed by Chile? Thought Chile's performance v Spain was better than Netherlands v Spain because in the latter Spain just gave up, essentially. Plus Casillas was godawful in the first game. V Chile he was poor but not as poor.

Think and hope it will be a close and exciting game with many goals. Can actually see Chile spanking them, but so hard to say as goals can change the flow of matches. Should be a good one in any case :thup:

Archived