Netherlands V Chile and Australia V Spain - 17:00 KO BST - Group B

Djstu23

Ah right, cheers :thup:

Surprised that people think this will be 'comfortable' for Netherlands. Have people not been impressed by Chile? Thought Chile's performance v Spain was better than Netherlands v Spain because in the latter Spain just gave up, essentially. Plus Casillas was godawful in the first game. V Chile he was poor but not as poor.

I'm not as blown away by Chile as many are - they're very good but not THAT good IMO.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think and hope it will be a close and exciting game with many goals. Can actually see Chile spanking them, but so hard to say as goals can change the flow of matches. Should be a good one in any case :thup:

Indeed. I predicted 2-1 to Chile but I can see this game going either way and over 4 goals will not surprise me. Think we could see up to 7 goals in this tie tbh :D

I'm not as blown away by Chile as many are - they're very good but not THAT good IMO.

I think they're the best side you don't normally associate as being top tier. They're my dark horse for the tournament. But I agree they are very good, just not amazingly good. I'm not surprised at people thinking Netherlands will win, just at people thinking Netherlands will comfortably win.

I think Alexis Sanchez can and will cause this Dutch backline some issues. They're quite slow at the back, the Dutch.

I think they're the best side you don't normally associate as being top tier. They're my dark horse for the tournament. But I agree they are very good, just not amazingly good. I'm not surprised at people thinking Netherlands will win, just at people thinking Netherlands will comfortably win.

I think Alexis Sanchez can and will cause this Dutch backline some issues. They're quite slow at the back, the Dutch.

I still think Colombia will go further then Chile.

As for this game, think it'll a close game, only 1 goal in it for me, not sure what way it'll go though :D

Andros Townsend claiming Robben is quicker with the ball than without it :lol:

Time to bring out the Shaun Wright-Phillips knowledge again :cool:

As much as I don't like Andros, I'll defend him again.

2008 Opta and Nike show SWP, Torres and Johnson quiker with the ball than without it.

The sprint parade top 10, commissioned by Nike and put together by Opta Sportsdata, is as follows (the first figure is to the ball, the second with it):

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd): 20.9mph -- 20.8mph

2. Andrew Johnson (Everton): 20.6 -- 20.7

3. Fernando Torres (Liverpool): 20.5 -- 20.6

4. Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland): 20.7 -- 20.2

5. Ashley Young (Aston Villa): 20.4 -- 20.3

6. Aaron Lennon (Tottenham): 20.6 -- 19.6

7. Cameron Jerome (Birmingham): 20.3 -- 20.1

8. Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea): 18.9 -- 21.2

9. Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth): 20.4 -- 19.2

10. David Bentley (Blackburn): 20.0 -- 19.8

Time to bring out the Shaun Wright-Phillips knowledge again :cool:

As much as I don't like Andros, I'll defend him again.

2008 Opta and Nike show SWP, Torres and Johnson quiker with the ball than without it.

The sprint parade top 10, commissioned by Nike and put together by Opta Sportsdata, is as follows (the first figure is to the ball, the second with it):

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd): 20.9mph -- 20.8mph

2. Andrew Johnson (Everton): 20.6 -- 20.7

3. Fernando Torres (Liverpool): 20.5 -- 20.6

4. Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland): 20.7 -- 20.2

5. Ashley Young (Aston Villa): 20.4 -- 20.3

6. Aaron Lennon (Tottenham): 20.6 -- 19.6

7. Cameron Jerome (Birmingham): 20.3 -- 20.1

8. Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea): 18.9 -- 21.2

9. Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth): 20.4 -- 19.2

10. David Bentley (Blackburn): 20.0 -- 19.8

How is that speed difference so high?! Surely SWP just wasn't trying when he ran without the ball. That's ridiculous :lol:

It's a good/solid prediction, especially because Colombia are likely to get Costa Rica in the next round whilst Chile could get Brazil.

Costa Rica are probably going to win the group and avoid Colombia. Not that Uruguay/Italy look that much harder a game at the moment.

Netherlands/Chile been poor so far. All being played in midfield. :thdn:

With any luck it'll follow recent trends of terrible first half amazing second half. Or they could just make it amazing from now til the 90th minute :D

Robben providing the first interesting bit of play after 40 minutes of play :rolleyes:

Unfortunate not to score, did well to get the shot away but should've done better imo.

Chile are missing Vidal's presence in the centre. Nobody making late/surging runs or getting open for passes.

Villa has scored 7 of Spain's last 11 WC goals

:eek: What a stat that is btw.

Have you watched their 2010 campaign? After Switzerland, it was just pass it to Villa and watch the magic (lots of 1-nils btw)

Minus the semi & final that is. And of course an Iniesta goal against Chile in the group matches

Daley Blind has committed about 10 fouls now, I swear. How long before he gets booked for repetitive fouling?

More like 8 times Chileans bein sissies and diving tbh, they seem to have been infected by the diving disease.

Have you watched their 2010 campaign? After Switzerland, it was just pass it to Villa and watch the magic (lots of 1-nils btw)

Minus the semi & final that is. And of course an Iniesta goal against Chile in the group matches

Yeah I recall him scoring a lot of goals but I didn't realise he had 7 of their last 11. That is a lot of dependence on him.

I guess I forgot that he was their main man and that Torres wasn't all that in 2010. I didn't enjoy watching Spain in 2010 (never enjoy watching Spain at any time! :D) so I have blocked out most of their performances at the WC bar the final :lol:

Yeah I recall him scoring a lot of goals but I didn't realise he had 7 of their last 11. That is a lot of dependence on him.

I guess I forgot that he was their main man and that Torres wasn't all that in 2010. I didn't enjoy watching Spain in 2010 (never enjoy watching Spain at any time! :D) so I have blocked out most of their performances at the WC bar the final :lol:

That's was pretty much the beginning of the end for Torres, few months before Roman went nuts and bought him. It was obvious that the only reason he was starting was to keep defenders occupied away from Villa

Archived