Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why we repeat it, but we say it so often now its like a broken record :D, people just need to read the last page or two to find out the status.

And that's why you guys would have to do that a lot less if there was a "bugs acknowledged/issues known - status" thread :brock:

They're acknowledged in the Bugs Forum where they're reported.

But to be fair, people don't check the entire Bugs Forum before they post.

I do agree that it'd be helpful if there was a locked sticky or something highlighting which issues have been noted.

My brief feedback based on playing the Beta and six months into my second season playing as Plymouth.

Started out in the English League 2 with some other European top level leagues to give some perspective.

This is very different to FM13. However, like every new iteration it is frustrating until you learn the nuances of the game. In my first season, I got promoted to the English League 1 without really understanding how I did it. I played a direct form of football out of a defensive 442. That first season was really divided into 3 phases. First 10-12 matches I quite often won close matches or drew matches I should have lost. Next 10-12 games I could not win a thing. No matter what I did, I could not buy a point. Teams I should beat quite easily were thrashing me. A draw felt like a victory and frustration was high. Last 3rd of the season was like the first. I could do no wrong and eventually grabbed the last automatic promotion place.

Throughout that first season I tried to play like FM13 however there were a couple of major differences:

- Wingers work. A fantastic sight to see. Not only that, wingers cutting in to take a shot at goal.

- Fullbacks don't. No tackling, no closing down, letting wingers waltz pass them without any resistance being put up. This must be fixed.

- Corners to the near post are an exploit which must be fixed as it unbalances the game.

- Playing on the counter does not work. Too much simply booting the ball forward and everyone rushing forward to be caught on the counter in turn.

- Goals in the last 5 minutes by the opposition is overkill. I tried everything to combat this with combination of formations and shouts. Only thing that worked was a back 5 and defensive mentality.

- Tackling by defenders in general is poor. Too often attacking players are simply allowed to waltz pass defenders with no attempt at stopping them being made.

- Fullback ratings are very poor (probably because the do not stop anyone) but ratings in general are down

- Adapt your tactics to your players. The only quality I had was in my wingers and a number of big strong target men. Maximising this got me promoted.

Now promotion in my second season is a double-edged sword as my team is simply not good enough to compete at this level. To stay up though I have adopted the following tactics which seem to be giving me a chance of survival:

- Much to my disgust, I am no playing long-ball football. I simply defend and boot the ball into the box for my low-skilled but big strong strikers to challenge for.

- Fullbacks do work but you must have players whose skills match what you are asking of them. I went through 6 players before settling on a pairing that can compete.

- Read and absorb what WWFAN says on tactics. You may not agree with it all but you are simply handicapping yourself if you do not read it. For me, ensuring that every line had different mentalities to ensure no large gaps was critical.

Finally, I feel that I have a much better understanding of FM14 now. Not enough to make the game easy or even without frustration, but there is a logic behind what I do and the outcomes I see on the field. Once you understand them, shouts are so much better than sliders it isn't funny.

If the defending issues are resolved as well as the corner exploits, this will go a long way to making this the best version yet.

whats happened with the old fm11 fm12 ME ? I know SI made a new engine but since it broken some of the old code can be used it again?

sorry if I'm wrong. but I love the game, can't stand the fact that they were great for many many years before fm13 release ..

I still don't like the Search Feature. I searched for QAS and I got almost 200 results. This is even though I team I was looking for was QAS. I got another 200 for looking for NSW. Can there be a tick box to make the smart searching optional, or to at least to search for the exact term?

If you have a save game which shows such demands then I would love to have a look.

Details on how to upload can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368795

I'm not at my computer at the moment but I'll upload one tomorrow morning. My values were calculated based on the existing contract terms screen.

I'll also see if I can replicate the issue with a different team and a fresh save, and provide screenshots. My memory is that the problem cropped up when I started a Roma save but I could be wrong.

- Fullbacks don't. No tackling, no closing down, letting wingers waltz pass them without any resistance being put up. This must be fixed.

Great feedback, but I have to say I do see my (and the opposition) fullbacks tackle quite a lot. The times they do tend to stand off normally leads to a goal or a missed CCC, which is about all that shows on key highlights, so it's understandable that a lot of people will hardly ever see their fullbacks tackling. But they do. Seen some terrific sliding tackles both for and against. I do agree that their ratings are quite a bit underpowered still, but if you look at their stats post-match, you'll normally find a decent amount of successful tackles.

Great feedback, but I have to say I do see my (and the opposition) fullbacks tackle quite a lot. The times they do tend to stand off normally leads to a goal or a missed CCC, which is about all that shows on key highlights, so it's understandable that a lot of people will hardly ever see their fullbacks tackling. But they do. Seen some terrific sliding tackles both for and against. I do agree that their ratings are quite a bit underpowered still, but if you look at their stats post-match, you'll normally find a decent amount of successful tackles.

Your right, its not that they don't tackle, its that they don't close down. Especially frustrating is that fullbacks tend to let every half-decent winger get to the byline and get their cross in. What I often see is fullbacks doing their jobs either side of the halfway line but then becoming very passive at their defensive end.

That's why we repeat it, but we say it so often now its like a broken record :D, people just need to read the last page or two to find out the status.

Wouldn't it be easier to reserve the 2nd post of the feedback thread to "summarize" what issues have been raised in this thread and add a disclaimer that any raised issue in the thread will be looked at by SI? No need to split it into solved issues and unsolved. Oh and of course, refer to the 2nd post from the first post. Might reduce the clutter a bit...

Your right, its not that they don't tackle, its that they don't close down. Especially frustrating is that fullbacks tend to let every half-decent winger get to the byline and get their cross in. What I often see is fullbacks doing their jobs either side of the halfway line but then becoming very passive at their defensive end.

Especially if you have them set to an Attacking mentality, there always further up the pitch than what my tactics are dictating. Its all very well and good them being up the other end of the pitch, and overlapping to get crosses and exploit the flanks, but when there not going back to help with the defending side of things, it gets frustrating.

Wouldn't it be easier to reserve the 2nd post of the feedback thread to "summarize" what issues have been raised in this thread and add a disclaimer that any raised issue in the thread will be looked at by SI? No need to split it into solved issues and unsolved. Oh and of course, refer to the 2nd post from the first post. Might reduce the clutter a bit...

The problem for SI is that when they make a post in which all known and acknowledged issues are listed, people on this forum will expect SI to fix them all for the next patch. This will only lead to more frustration when that doesn't happen. Furthermore, if I would lead a company I would never make a public list on an internet-forum in which all the 'faults' of my product are listed. Forum/topic-wise it makes absolutely perfect sense what you're saying, but from a company-point-of-view, I don't know...

My brief feedback based on playing the Beta and six months into my second season playing as Plymouth.

Thanks Rustyman1, your post saved my day. I agree with everthing you say. I am a veteran FM player and just purchased FM14 and am failing miserably.

The main reason, as far as I can pin down, is that my fullbacks are not working at all, no matter what I do. In the end, I switched to a DM 3-5-2 system, which has brought me some success. But scorelines can still be silly and crap teams can still often score 4 goals in the second half to overcome a 3 goal deficiency. And the Defensive strategy does not seem to work at all for me. It just cedes possession and invites the opponent to you with inevitable goals to follow. Much better to keep on Standard all way through even if you are 3 goals up.

In its current edition, I just find that FM14 is a poorly executed simulation.

Also, if someone could point me in the direction to WWFAN's post on Tactics, it would be much appreciated.

Btw fullbacks not tackling is not true. My best tackler is Rafael with 12 tackles per game. So I guess something else is off with the full backs. And also I noticed having LB in FB/A duty and RB in WB/s duty..they play the same. FB/S will stay deeper, but WB/S is playing exactly like FB/A.

This is the first version of the game where I think it is genuinely unplayable in it's current format. People can trot out the usual mantra of 'its your tactics' all they like, but the ME is so rickety that you are forced to design tactics to address the flaws in the ME rather than the opposition. It's clearly going to be the best of the series once it's fixed, but for the first time in a long time I am checking this forum for a new patch every day- rather than it simply being a nice addition, it is an absolute necessity.

Edit: Not fair of me, it is behind CM4 in terms of being unplayable, but that is damning with faint praise.

Been tweaking and adjusting since release, but I simply cant get the game to make sense.

1. Tactics arent consistent:

My most recent project is a Barcelona save where im trying to make the tactics resemple Pep's Barcelona as much as possible. Maximum possession, short passes, through balls, play into box and fast recovery of possesion. For most of the matches it works okay, giving my team +60% something possession and loads of finishes. But every 3. match or so I end up losing in possession to random teams. Im still way ahead in finishing, so how does that figure? I got the best passers and most creative players in world. How can smaller teams beat my team in something I have solely based my entire team and tactics on? And with my tactic obviously not working, why do I keep finishing at the same rate? It makes no sense.

2. Strikers:

I doesnt matter how great a striker you have. The poacher is dead. Even the best poacher in game, Messi is missing sitters and clear cuts all the freaking time. I decided to check some of my FM13 saves, to compare finishing and I was shocked over the results. Messi are using more than twice as many shots to score, than most of my poachers on FM13 were doing. Poachers not near Messi's level. I ended up playing Messi as AMC - Trequista with NO STRIKERS and now Messi seems to be scoring more goals, but still with quite poor finishing ratings.

3. Defending:

Terrible all-round. The only defenders getting good ratings, are WB's assisting or CB's scoring on cornes. Marking is terrible and tackling is even worse. Fixing this by making the finishing equally bad, is by far the worst fix I have ever seen in a serious game and it really seems like, thats what they did!

4. Final thoughts

These are the parts, that ruins my gameplay the most. I usually start in the top, making plays that work on world-class teams and then implent those things and players alike on smaller teams and work my way up from there, when I need bigger challenges. But if I cant even make something that works proberly with FC Barcelona, it just seems pointless to carry on.

Until something is done, this game is unplayable in my sense of how a football manager simulator should be.

The opponent (CPU) tackling is outrages.

1. High stats dribblers like Messi, CR7 cannot dribble past opposition (CPU) with low tackling stats (11-14) even once.

2. Within a match, opposition (CPU) team alone can achieve more than 100+ tackles with more than two-third of them being sliding tackles.

3. Opposition (CPU) players have extremely high "success rate" for tackling even though their players have low tackling stats (less than 15, mostly 11 to 12).

4. Opposition (CPU) players can launch extremely powerful sliding tackles across 15 yards taking down more than 1 player simultaneously. Seems like they were playing on ice-skating ring rather than a soccer field.

The opponent (CPU) tackling is outrages.

1. High stats dribblers like Messi, CR7 cannot dribble past opposition (CPU) with low tackling stats (11-14) even once.

2. Within a match, opposition (CPU) team alone can achieve more than 100+ tackles with more than two-third of them being sliding tackles.

3. Opposition (CPU) players have extremely high "success rate" for tackling even though their players have low tackling stats (less than 15, mostly 11 to 12).

4. Opposition (CPU) players can launch extremely powerful sliding tackles across 15 yards taking down more than 1 player simultaneously. Seems like they were playing on ice-skating ring rather than a soccer field.

The volume of tackles is too high, and is being investigated.

However, I find it hard to agree that good dribblers can't get past their man; I see a load of examples in every single game of a wide midfielder romping up the wing.

The volume of tackles is too high, and is being investigated.

However, I find it hard to agree that good dribblers can't get past their man; I see a load of examples in every single game of a wide midfielder romping up the wing.

Yeah, I would say it's the opposite actually. Wingers are dribbling everyone all the time. Especially the poor full backs have the defensive capabilities of a two year old :p

Yeah, I would say it's the opposite actually. Wingers are dribbling everyone all the time. Especially the poor full backs have the defensive capabilities of a two year old :p

Enjoy it while it lasts - I'm sure that when it is fixed we'll have a thread full of people saying that their wingers are now nerfed :D

Enjoy it while it lasts - I'm sure that when it is fixed we'll have a thread full of people saying that their wingers are now nerfed :D

Heh, highly possible :D

For me just a general improvement of the defense which will mean less shots per game is enough! Currently it seems so unreal for my personal preferences that I don't really want to play :(

And dang it, my woman is out of town for the weekend :D

Today's the day, I can feel it in my waters:).

SI does tend to surprise us on Fridays. Since Friday has always been the best day of the week (common knowledge) I hope they will take that into consideration :) Girlfriend is on hold, waiting for me to tell her will I be seeing her today or not. P-please let me see FM update instead of her!!! :))))

How many times, the full back thing is a known issue and SI are working on it.

But, I congratulate you on having a pretty terrific game where this isn't an issue.

In FM13 I had to switch from comprehensive to extended because comprehensive would annoyingly not fast-forward though big chunks of downtime, like players retrieving balls for corners or players being walked off the field for injuries. Is this still the case?

The dreaded 'faffing about' bug was definitely an issue with 'comprehensive' highlights in the beta, but I noticed that it was gone in the 14.1.2 update and I haven't seen it since.

I've found a minor issue with player career plans and in particular "would prefer not to play in county x". In this instance I was trying to sign Mario Goetze for Manchester United. Basically Bayern had a dismal first season and finished outside of the European places in the German league (and lost the Champions League final). During that time Goetze hardly played (4 league starts!) so come the end of the season he had requested a transfer on the grounds of lack of first team football and no European football for the coming season. However, where he doesn't want to play in England/France/Spain/Italy he's essentially limited himself to staying at Bayern (or maybe going back to Dortmund).

In future version it would be better if player career plans are more dynamic. For instance, Goetze has been at 2 of the biggest German clubs so might decide actually that moving to Spain or England isn't quite such a hardship, if he couldn't get a move back to Dortmund (which he couldn't). Once he's been in the English/Spanish/wherever league for a season his career plans could change back to would prefer to move back to the German league depending on the players experience in the new league/country.

Incidently I did sign him but it probably cost me more in wages than it should've done for a player so desperate to leave his current club.

Just finished my first season in the EPL with Leicester. Comfortably finished mid table.

Transfer window opens and I try to sign Sterling on loan from Liverpool. Offered first team status but he rejects me to join the recently relegated West Brom for a season of championship football.

My wingers are also dribbling past the full backs but the strikers are not dribbling past the center backs.

Just finished my first season in the EPL with Leicester. Comfortably finished mid table.

Transfer window opens and I try to sign Sterling on loan from Liverpool. Offered first team status but he rejects me to join the recently relegated West Brom for a season of championship football.

It's happened again. Adnan Januzaj has just rejected me to play in the Championship with recently relegated Norwich.

It is the reputation system, it takes a few seasons for you to go up higher than those other sides, the players are going to the higher reputation clubs and not the higher league club.

It is the reputation system, it takes a few seasons for you to go up higher than those other sides, the players are going to the higher reputation clubs and not the higher league club.

Nope, I'm ranked 2 places above West Brom and 4 places above Norwich according to the reputation rankings.

Did those clubs offer key player status to them both?

Norwich offered first team, sam as me. West Brom did offer key player status though.

I still firmly believe the parent club would not accept these offers over regular Premier League football on the table.

Nope, I'm ranked 2 places above West Brom and 4 places above Norwich according to the reputation rankings.

Norwich offered first team, sam as me. West Brom did offer key player status though.

I still firmly believe the parent club would not accept these offers over regular Premier League football on the table.

Worth logging in the bugs forum id say, there must be something that made the player choose norwich over you.

Archived