Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

Then you're playing a different game to me. Yes there are some issues and some of then are pretty annoying/bad, however the overall match engine is very good and with minor adjustments will be the best yet.

No, that's not correct. It doesn't need "minor" changes, but major. It's the first time since maybe CM4 that I really can't play unless a patch is out. The results and generally the matches are completely unrealistic. Huge amounts of shots, small conversion percentages, defenses acting completely weird..

I mean, in past versions there were big bugs in the beginning, but they weren't all ME related. You would get a lot of injuries or weird ratings, stuff like that, but now we've an ME that is not acceptable for an FM game. Were it ...some other manager game it wouldn't be a problem, since realism is not necessarily the focus, but FM is known to be as accurate as possible and for now it fails.

However since the patch is upcoming and the "packaging" is very nice(interface,features etc) we are all waiting patiently to be able to play our favorite game (it seems). :)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two closed threads on the first page of this forum. Here are the opening two sentences in each one.

Attackers can score realy easily, in this update
anyone have any ideas how to get goals from strikers?

Two complaints. Two different people. Completely opposite viewpoint. One thinks the strikers score easily and the defence can't stop them, another thinks they can't score at all.

What do SI do here?

This is the problem with a lot of the feedback. Much of it contradicts each other. Do you increase the likeliehood of a striker scoring, therefore completely overpowering one person's save, or tone down strikers scoring ruining someone else's?

Or, as what should happen, do you leave that aspect of the game well alone, as it's proving to be tactical if people are seeing the opposite effect?

Like I said earlier, I really don't envy SI in what they have to do to improve the game. So many variables. So many issues that are tactical rather than bugs. A few genuine issues thrown in for good measure.

I think those people ranting for a quick update should sit down and think about what's involved here. I'd much rather SI took their time and got it right than do what they did last year and rush out a poorly implemented update. Keep the faith, folks.

Ten days after the official release and not even a single sticky with a Sports Interactive post as far as it concerns the bad state of the game (the match engine to be honest). Last year, it was the first year with a new match engine....a bad moment for the studio and the programmers of the ME. This year what? My feedback is this: Show respect to your loyal customers. Make the game available later in the year when it is ready or dont release a new at all. Just a database update... Thank you

Two closed threads on the first page of this forum. Here are the opening two sentences in each one.

Two complaints. Two different people. Completely opposite viewpoint. One thinks the strikers score easily and the defence can't stop them, another thinks they can't score at all.

What do SI do here?

This is the problem with a lot of the feedback. Much of it contradicts each other. Do you increase the likeliehood of a striker scoring, therefore completely overpowering one person's save, or tone down strikers scoring ruining someone else's?

Or, as what should happen, do you leave that aspect of the game well alone, as it's proving to be tactical if people are seeing the opposite effect?

Like I said earlier, I really don't envy SI in what they have to do to improve the game. So many variables. So many issues that are tactical rather than bugs. A few genuine issues thrown in for good measure.

I think those people ranting for a quick update should sit down and think about what's involved here. I'd much rather SI took their time and got it right than do what they did last year and rush out a poorly implemented update. Keep the faith, folks.

The bug is in the 2nd question, the first is a tactical mistake i believe.

On 90 % of complaints, including mine, strikers who don't score to save their lives is the most common problem. You can check my screenshots from my previous post to see that Messi won the golden shoe with 24 goals, and this is just one example.

What do SI do here?

I think the general complaint is that wide attacking players are very good while central strikers are poor. That's not the same issue at all though I'm pretty sure SI has said they spring from the same root

I think the general complaint is that wide attacking players are very good while central strikers are poor.

I've had saves at all levels, and in each one my main striker has been by far my leading scorer. And not just from cross balls either. In two saves, my centre forward scored well over 30 goals.

I've had saves at all levels, and in each one my main striker has been by far my leading scorer. And not just from cross balls either. In two saves, my centre forward scored well over 30 goals.

Yep my main striker Papa Cisse scoring for fun. Whether he is in a 442 or a 4141 or a 451 he scores!

There is a structural underperformance of strikers on good to open or rebound chances (always shoot on the keeper or keeper tends to lie where the ball will go) and the is a structural overperformance by teams, mostly lower rated team, where conversion rate CCC and half chances by opposition much higher then the playing team.

Anyone claiming it is the tactics is basically ready for the censoring machine as they deny daylight!

The tactics are brilliant and you need to work and balance the team. Once the above is sorted out (execution of chances both ways ) the game becomes good.

Looking fwd.

The AI and Human manager have the exact same tools to control their teams. There is no way for the game to artificially give a higher conversion rate to Ai teams, it's simply not possible within the code.

It's a tactical issue.

No, that's not correct. It doesn't need "minor" changes, but major. It's the first time since maybe CM4 that I really can't play unless a patch is out. The results and generally the matches are completely unrealistic. Huge amounts of shots, small conversion percentages, defenses acting completely weird..

I mean, in past versions there were big bugs in the beginning, but they weren't all ME related. You would get a lot of injuries or weird ratings, stuff like that, but now we've an ME that is not acceptable for an FM game. Were it ...some other manager game it wouldn't be a problem, since realism is not necessarily the focus, but FM is known to be as accurate as possible and for now it fails.

However since the patch is upcoming and the "packaging" is very nice(interface,features etc) we are all waiting patiently to be able to play our favorite game (it seems). :)

The game is perfectly playable, there are faults but to say you can't paly it is ridiculous.

The AI and Human manager have the exact same tools to control their teams. There is no way for the game to artificially give a higher conversion rate to Ai teams, it's simply not possible within the code.

It's a tactical issue.

I find it incredible how many people can't accept this despite being told over and over again.

I am not saying the game is doing it on purpose, but there has to be something which can explain the higher conversion rate.

If you create most games more chances and more CCC then the opposition but each time you score less while the opposition scores more, there iss something broken behind causing this. Majority of players refer to the same issue btw.

If I create more chances, many chances, have dominance in the game and create CCC at least as many as opposition, then its NOT my tactics. If its my tactics, i wouldnt create chances or lose possession or anything else. (Morale players?, determination players?, compusure players? Could all be)

Actually the games where I am not dominant ant create less chances, I score more and win more.. Mmmm that sounds like I had superior tactics.

I am just giving my honest feedback, based on 15 years playing the game. Hope it contributes.

Still looking fwd to the patch!!!

Yes, it's a tactical situation created by the user that leads to those situations occurring.

Just look at the stats from today's Premier league matches for examples of this happening in real life.

Really strange from you Ackter, you close the thread discussing this and tell people to discuss it in the tactics forum and then bring it up in this thread.

Not really smart as as much as I would like to discuss this with you, the thread will go off topic.

Every year there is normally 1 major annoying bug in the game that takes months to get fixed properly (too many red cards & major injuries most recent years). This year however When playing I was pleased at what seemed just minor problems, how wrong was I. The general defending on this 1 is the big bug this year, and like EVERY F#c$i£G YEAR I'm probably gonna have to wait till the February patch to have a game I can play! Im 30 now and quite frankly si have tested my loyalty to the limit. I tell myself I wont play fm till february every year, but every year I play on release and every year I don't get the finished article, despite my hope/naivety. Don't often post on forums but needed to vent and share what many others feel?

problems im having with the game:

players asking for too much money for bonuses eg trying to sign alexis sanchez wants an apperance fee of £50,000!!!

ai clubs offering too much money for average players and not enough for good players eg nani 40m from r madrid could get draxler for 38.5

ai clubs bidding on players when they dont have any money

ai squads not rotating the players enough

man city buying every single players on the planet even though they dont need them

injured players seeing huge attributes decline eg rooney out for 3 months was 4 stars now 2 stars

scouts hardly find any players

players joining clubs in inferior leagues eg darren fletcher joins athletic minerio

d fletcher ask for £50,000 to join a minerio

players interested in joining your club after a couple of months after the just signed eg thiago of b munich

a few players should be nerfed up like sturridge, barkley, ravel morrison, remy, Giroud. entire southampton team :) they got relegated in my first season

too many red cards

goals always scored from corners when played low in the box

there are way too many shots

strikers cant seem to score from 5 yards

wingers are overpowered

defenders cant defend

i was playing an attacking 442 and won 18 games out of 18. maybe 442 is overpowered? or is it beacuse defenders cant defend?

also i was trying to sign lewandowski and i offered him a wage of £100,000 rotation which he accepted but i lost out after he signed for man city who offered £145,000 key player. it would be nice if the agent of the player would be able to contact the club and say man city have offered £145,000 per week will you go higher?"

i stopped playing as the players asking too much money and attributes decline is a bit of a killer overall its a great game and could be the best fm when all the bugs are sorted :)

The game is perfectly playable, there are faults but to say you can't paly it is ridiculous.

I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I meant for me specifically. I'm not saying it's not playable generally, just that for me 30+ shots per match in Greek Second Division games (for example) are simply completely unrealistic.

And this didn't happen in previous versions, ever. So I really can't get in the mood to play like that, when it gets a bit more close to reality and defenders actually are important, I'll jump back in :)

Having been playing CM/FM series since 96/97 I would like to give my feedback on this years FM version.

Now lets be frank, we are all on the same side here. Developers, fans, moderators. We all want the game to be as best and as realistic football simulation as it's possible. However, I dont think in it's current state the game is realistic simulation of football, something which has always been the key element of the series.

I only played one save with Arsenal for half of season and what I saw was enough to get frustrated and stop playing while some bigger issues are resolved. I spent hours on Tactics forum to try out different things but in the end it all boils down to one key question: "Can you be successful with any realistic tactic as long as you have players suited for it?" From my experience, this is not the case at the moment. I tried 4231 and 451 the most realistically as I could and it was a mess. Now I know that part of that could be because already acknowledged issue with fullbacks defending but I also think wide players in AML/R positions (apart from defensive winger, never tried that) are extremely bad at defending or better said, it is really hard to make them defend. Wide advanced playmakers, inside forwards and wingers even on support duty seem to be reluctant to get behind the ball in a formation and to efficiently challenge their respective fullback. Also attacking minded striker/forward roles seem to be quite inadequate at the moment.

One of the strongest features of the series, especially in recent years, was a realistic 3D match engine which offered endless variations of attacks, chances and goals. You could never be sure, how a goal would be scored because every attack while maybe with a same pattern was never really the same as the last one. Now, however, I only seem to score either from a long shot rebound or from a low, drilled set piece on the near post. Direct free kick goals are almost extinct (I personally havent seen one but people report seeing few). Also, shooting animation seem like a step back from previous versions. Everyone seem to just power shot the ball with the outside of the foot these days. I dont think I saw a single placed shot really. Even strikers going 1 on 1 or wide players cuting inside dont seem to place shots but instead just hoof it towards the goal.

There are obviously more issues that people have been mentioning but these are the biggest for me.

I would also like to add that I absolutely love it how the sliders were removed from the game. I always felt that sliders on a scale 1-20 were too much vague.

This all being said, I still think SI does fantastic job each year and I have faith they will turn this around. Even if more time is needed for them to put out a good patch, so be it. I would rather wait 1 or 2 weeks longer for a patch that fixes 95% of issues than just to get a patch that still missed a lots of them.

Having been playing CM/FM series since 96/97 I would like to give my feedback on this years FM version.

Now lets be frank, we are all on the same side here. Developers, fans, moderators. We all want the game to be as best and as realistic football simulation as it's possible. However, I dont think in it's current state the game is realistic simulation of football, something which has always been the key element of the series.

I only played one save with Arsenal for half of season and what I saw was enough to get frustrated and stop playing while some bigger issues are resolved. I spent hours on Tactics forum to try out different things but in the end it all boils down to one key question: "Can you be successful with any realistic tactic as long as you have players suited for it?" From my experience, this is not the case at the moment. I tried 4231 and 451 the most realistically as I could and it was a mess. Now I know that part of that could be because already acknowledged issue with fullbacks defending but I also think wide players in AML/R positions (apart from defensive winger, never tried that) are extremely bad at defending or better said, it is really hard to make them defend. Wide advanced playmakers, inside forwards and wingers even on support duty seem to be reluctant to get behind the ball in a formation and to efficiently challenge their respective fullback. Also attacking minded striker/forward roles seem to be quite inadequate at the moment.

One of the strongest features of the series, especially in recent years, was a realistic 3D match engine which offered endless variations of attacks, chances and goals. You could never be sure, how a goal would be scored because every attack while maybe with a same pattern was never really the same as the last one. Now, however, I only seem to score either from a long shot rebound or from a low, drilled set piece on the near post. Direct free kick goals are almost extinct (I personally havent seen one but people report seeing few). Also, shooting animation seem like a step back from previous versions. Everyone seem to just power shot the ball with the outside of the foot these days. I dont think I saw a single placed shot really. Even strikers going 1 on 1 or wide players cuting inside dont seem to place shots but instead just hoof it towards the goal.

There are obviously more issues that people have been mentioning but these are the biggest for me.

I would also like to add that I absolutely love it how the sliders were removed from the game. I always felt that sliders on a scale 1-20 were too much vague.

This all being said, I still think SI does fantastic job each year and I have faith they will turn this around. Even if more time is needed for them to put out a good patch, so be it. I would rather wait 1 or 2 weeks longer for a patch that fixes 95% of issues than just to get a patch that still missed a lots of them.

I have had none of these problems, I play every match on full and have my side defending well, playing beautifully and scoring plenty.

How would you explain this?

Anyone care to enlighten?

New gens. In game they are blacked out shadows rather than the computer generated faces. If I go to preferences the box is ticked for 'show picture of generated players and staff'.

Any ideas? Didn't want to post this in a separate thread as I have no idea if I'm just being daft about it.

i've read a lot of this post but not all so sorry if what i write has already been mentioned. Thought i'd let you know how i feel about the current patch. Don't worry this won't be a rant!!

Im finding only a few things frustrating.

1.My first and main frustration is the amount of shots by the opposition, im talking on average 15 to 23 every game. Most are long range (edge of area) and do no harm but this happens almost every game and it doesn't matter if im playing a top, middle or relegation threatened team. I know i said most shots amount to nothing but really...every game!! I on the other hand have a more respectable and believable 8 to 12 shots. I've only loaded up one save as Napoli and am in mid season 2. So im one of the big boys and current league holders so wouldn't teams, especially from Italy, approach my team with caution instead of the "overload" way they seem to do. I like to base my teams on a solid back line and hate to give up so many shots but am not sure if its possible to stop it atm. Is it???

2.I find that if i score first and say its against a much poorer team, they just go into over drive and bombard my goal with the before mentioned shots. And although I always have more possession they nearly double the amount of efforts/chances at goal.

3.The opposition, again no matter how good/bad, nearly always win the ball back off me. Say my player Alpha wins a tackle the ball nearly always rebounds or gets stupidly passed straight back to them. Sometimes this will and should happen as not every pass can be perfect but the pass made can be so poorly chosen even thou I have many players available (the players i have are of good quality, Honda and dos santos to give you 2)

Thats it really, just those 3 things. Now I understand some of this may be down to my inexperience of understanding and making changes to my tactics in FM14 (thou i consider myself a good FM player and have been playing since..well that long ago i cant remember and really enjoy the tactical side of the game).

on the plus side i really enjoy how the ME looks and for the most part plays out. These frustrations of mine don't make the game unplayable and am on the whole enjoying FM14.

And again, someone is erasing my posts that are critical of SI...

AS I SAID...

is the next patch just be an ME Patch or will it be a general fixes patch?

Anything else but an ME patch would be a waste of time considering the fact that, for many, the game is broken because of the bugs in the ME, not in player profile screen...

And again, someone is erasing my posts that are critical of SI...

AS I SAID...

Anything else but an ME patch would be a waste of time considering the fact that, for many, the game is broken because of the bugs in the ME, not in player profile screen...

You should probably read the house rules.

I can't wait for the update, just so we can close this thread............... and start all over :rolleyes:

"The fullbacks tackle way too much and are always getting 11 out of 10 ratings"

"LOL, my striker is scoring all the time on 1 on 1's?"

"WTF is up with my keeper never saving a single shot?"

"The ME is a mess, I have only 30% possession every game but every game I win 3-0"

"The fullbacks tackle way too much and are always getting 11 out of 10 ratings"

"LOL, my striker is scoring all the time on 1 on 1's?"

"WTF is up with my keeper never saving a single shot?"

"The ME is a mess, I have only 30% possession every game but every game I win 3-0"

Don't forget injuries, every update ever made caused more injuries :rolleyes:

So, despite all of the lovely new feature (as with FM13) FM14 remains a disappointment.

I don't know why I'm not hearing more feedback around this, but the most important part of the game has been ruined and poorly developed as of FM13 through to FM14 - the match engine.

It's a shame, but it's lead me to play football manager less and less to pretty much giving up. I hardly played FM13 because of this, but in spite of this, was really hoping and holding out for FM14 to be improved. Thought I would show some loyalty to the best footballing game ever.

In a nutshell, the problem I am seeing is the goal frenzy that the in-match play gives. Nearly all of my results are 3-2's and 4-3's. Goals galore. No matter what defensive tactics I use, this happens. Some will say it is down to my tactics, some will say they're not seeing the same issue, but some may just agree with me.

The way the ball slides about mimicks that of an ice hockey puck on an ice rink. The same old goals are scored (winger runs down the wing, crosses it in to the far corner of the six yard box - bang - another goal).

Why, why, why FM developers?! Whatever you've implemented to power this in-match engineer has ruined my enjoyment of this game! There is no point playing this game because regardless of me having the best keeper, defence and defence midfield in the world, or have the leakiest defence/mid/keep, the goals will be going in left, right and centre.

I accept that each FM will have its down fall, like the old days the corner bug was an issue, or the unrealistic transfer sales of some players - that, I could live with. But, when the main function of the game which is the motherboard, the centre to everything is poor (in match engine), the game is not playable (not for me or many people I know who play it).

FM developers, please rewind back to the FM12 match engine - that was perfect, more realistic. Simply smoother and engineered to a decent quality.

All I hope I get out of this piece of feedback (other than FM15 match engine to be rolled back to FM12 quality) is for at least a handful of people to understand where I am coming from.

Despite the negatives, the FM game has some wonderful features. Too many to mention of course. But, as mentioned, none of those excellent features are as important as the most important part of the game, which is seeing your team on that 2D pitch run around and actually play football in a realistic as way as possible (appreciate the last sentence was not very smart English!)

So, despite all of the lovely new feature (as with FM13)

I don't know why I'm not hearing more feedback around this, but the most important part of the game has been ruined and poorly developed as of FM13 through to FM14 - the match engine.

Sometimes you just know that someone has not read the feedback thread. :D

So, despite all of the lovely new feature (as with FM13) FM14 remains a disappointment.

It's a shame, but it's lead me to play football manager less and less to pretty much giving up. I hardly played FM13 because of this, but in spite of this, was really hoping and holding out for FM14 to be improved. Thought I would show some loyalty to the best footballing game ever.

In a nutshell, the problem I am seeing is the goal frenzy that the in-match play gives. Nearly all of my results are 3-2's and 4-3's. Goals galore. No matter what defensive tactics I use, this happens. Some will say it is down to my tactics, some will say they're not seeing the same issue, but some may just agree with me.

The way the ball slides about mimicks that of an ice hockey puck on an ice rink. The same old goals are scored (winger runs down the wing, crosses it in to the far corner of the six yard box - bang - another goal).

Why, why, why FM developers?! Whatever you've implemented to power this in-match engineer has ruined my enjoyment of this game! There is no point playing this game because regardless of me having the best keeper, defence and defence midfield in the world, or have the leakiest defence/mid/keep, the goals will be going in left, right and centre.

I accept that each FM will have its down fall, like the old days the corner bug was an issue, or the unrealistic transfer sales of some players - that, I could live with. But, when the main function of the game which is the motherboard, the centre to everything is poor (in match engine), the game is not playable (not for me or many people I know who play it).

FM developers, please rewind back to the FM12 match engine - that was perfect, more realistic. Simply smoother and engineered to a decent quality.

All I hope I get out of this piece of feedback (other than FM15 match engine to be rolled back to FM12 quality) is for at least a handful of people to understand where I am coming from.

Despite the negatives, the FM game has some wonderful features. Too many to mention of course. But, as mentioned, none of those excellent features are as important as the most important part of the game, which is seeing your team on that 2D pitch run around and actually play football in a realistic as way as possible (appreciate the last sentence was not very smart English!)

Don't worry Griff, there are plenty of old fans who agree with you.

After being firmly in "the games broken" camp, I have tried a very basic 4-4-2 with my 2 central midfielders operating as DM's, Seen a dramatic improvement in results and overall realism in the stats, no more 30 shots on goal, no more 1 opposition shot resulting in a 1-0 defeat. Only played 3 games with this, im Rangers so I am expecting positive results, but with my old tactic things were not going so well. I wouldn't say im a complete " it's your tactics" fanboy yet, but im starting to think maybe the ME problem isn't as bad as people were thinking.

Sure, the only thing you have to do is design a tactic that exploits the opponents full backs sucking, while reducing the issue of your own full backs sucking...

I'm sorry, but if you think the FM12 match engine is better then you're not looking close enough - you're letting a few issues blind you to the massive progress that has been made. You need to look past the superficial and pay real attention to the flow of the match, the roles, the tactics - there's been huge improvements everywhere.

Very good post. You are not alone, believe me, many people made the same experience. The ME was great until FM 12 despite some flaws, it was believable. They are working for 2 years (!!) now on the new ME and still it feels random. But at least we can still play the old versions, just reinstalled FM 12 and it is so much more realistic and so much fun. Finally i have control again!

Maybe the update will give us back the old FM feeling but i doubt that. And one thing that some people dont understand: Customers like you and me LOVE the game, thats why we are so disappointed.

Archived