Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

11 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

How do I get my striker to stay in the half space? Move into channels or stay wider?

Move into channels, but make sure the are not occupied by other players. And look for someone who can occupy the central area instead 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BrightLad5 said:

Would a 5-3-2 at AC Milan with Giroud as a TM(S) and Zlatan as a AF(A) work?

Want to use the Wide CB role in the Beta and also want to create a tactic with a TM being the vital link for goals

Absolutely! It's then a case of sorting out your other 8 roles 

2 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

what LW and RW? AP is the only without dribble more i think

Both L/R W & L/R M, the winger roles have have dribble more hard coded because that's what wingers do. WTM has Dribble Less & the RMD & AP has nothing, like you say  :thup:

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Both L/R W & L/R M, the winger roles have have dribble more hard coded because that's what wingers do. WTM has Dribble Less & the RMD & AP has nothing, like you say  :thup:

they need to add more options for LW and RW, like a WM, sick of all the dribbling 

5 hours ago, fraudiola said:

they need to add more options for LW and RW, like a WM, sick of all the dribbling 

Try using a wide midfielder with a get further forward instruction. It’s a really versatile role and can do pretty much anything that you want.

5 hours ago, BrightLad5 said:

Ideal 3 man central midfield combo when using an attacking 5-3-2 with wing backs and a target man?

I'd say go through Pairs and Combinations (the guide is in the pinned threads) and check what is going to work for you. There isn't a straightforward answer to this. It's going to depend on how you line up the 3 and what your players are capable of (their attributes) for you to best decide who to play and in what role/duty.

I couldn't find an answer to this but, when you go on vacation for let's say for 2 weeks ingame, does your ass man apply opposite instructions for games even if you have them set to do yourself in the settings? 

How dynamic are physical attributes for youth players? If I have a 17 yo CB with only 5 in strength, with the right personality and heavy training programme how much can I realistically increase this? 

Maybe one for FM 23 but I'd like to see Stamina be a lot more variable. Makes sense for Natural Fitness to be fixed, but if I player is out the game for a year it would make sense to see Stamina significantly reduce and require many months to build back up again. Similarly when training for a pressing system, the frequency of endurance schedules should determine bigger swings to shape the squad. Thinking about how Bielsa transformed Leeds in his first year, player selection is definitely key but much of their success came from what happened on the training ground. At the moment all it takes is a couple months of games to boost tactical familiarity. 

7 minutes ago, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

Would it be IWs or maybe APs?

Probably best off with an AP(S) if you want them to be a primary playmaker, if you want them to be a bit more mobile on the ball an IW with Take more risks is a good pick too 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Probably best off with an AP(S) if you want them to be a primary playmaker, if you want them to be a bit more mobile on the ball an IW with Take more risks is a good pick too 

Cheers. I'll try AP. I'm not sure I want a playmaker as such but I found the IWs crossed a bit too much..but that's maybe coz I don't have him cutting in on stronger foot. 

17 hours ago, brosh1000 said:

Does Wide CB work without a FB/WB outside of them. Trying to recreate Walker's role for City but I am majorly struggling. The angles are not right because he is too wide on FB(D). Not sure how he will function out of possession though

Not sure how you mean, the WCB can't be used in a flat back 4. But yeah, they work all the same with or without FBs/WBs

Hello everyone!
I want to ask your opinion on crosses from these positions highlighted in the image: in your opinion, which positions / roles / duty are suitable to cross from these positions, and with what kind of instructions?

zone cross.png

Edited by Garlic

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Not sure how you mean, the WCB can't be used in a flat back 4. But yeah, they work all the same with or without FBs/WBs

I get that thanks. What I am asking however is if they will basicallt function as normal full backs out of possesion. i play WB(A)-CD(ST)-BPD(D)_WCB(D). Does that work?

1 hour ago, brosh1000 said:

I get that thanks. What I am asking however is if they will basicallt function as normal full backs out of possesion. i play WB(A)-CD(ST)-BPD(D)_WCB(D). Does that work?

With you, they act as centre backs 

40 minutes ago, Jaydenoren said:

Do Wide Centre backs act more like stoppers or coverers?

Neither from what I see, just normal defend duty 

23 hours ago, Garlic said:

Hello everyone!
I want to ask your opinion on crosses from these positions highlighted in the image: in your opinion, which positions / roles / duty are suitable to cross from these positions, and with what kind of instructions?

zone cross.png

No Expert by I would assume: Cross from Deep, Stay wide and Floated crosses as very general rules (for either your full backs or Wingers deepening of who you want to cross it) but happy to be corrected if someone has other ideas

On 25/10/2021 at 18:07, Garlic said:

Hello everyone!

zone cross.png

What BrightLad5 said and I would add that a trait of cross from deep also helps. Curl balls could be interesting as well.

12 hours ago, LucasBR said:

Raumdeuter and Inside Forward (attack) have the same impact on a tactic?

The Raumdeuter is slightly different, they don't dribble as much as inside forwards and they stay a bit narrow

I'm seeing something and wanted to check if my thinking is correct to why this happens.

I'm playing an almost default Vertical Tiki Taka 433 DM, with some roles adjusted and tempo to normal.

AF (A)

IF(s) IW(s)

Mez(a) BBM(s)

DLP(d)

WB(s) BPD(d) DC(d) WB(a)

With Work the Ball in the Box on my striker doesn't score a lot (The IF, IW and Mez do), with Work The Ball in the box off my striker is by far the main goal threat.

Is this because with WBIB on my team is slower in attack, much more people are around/in the box, and there's a big chance that other players than my striker are getting the goal scoring opportunities?

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

24 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

With Work the Ball in the Box on my striker doesn't score a lot (The IF, IW and Mez do), with Work The Ball in the box off my striker is by far the main goal threat.

Is this because with WBIB on my team is slower in attack, much more people are around/in the box, and there's a big chance that other players than my striker are getting the goal scoring opportunities?

I'd say so yes, instead of crossing into the box to him, your team will get into the final third & look to probe a bit more & things are opening up for the "drifting" roles

Hard to say for sure though, best way of telling is reviewing the goals you're scoring, look at the goals your AF scored & how they were supplied etc 

58 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I never really figured out which works better, in a 5-3-2 or any other formation without wingers if i have a MEZ(a) or a CM(a) on one side should i have a DLF(s)/TM(s) on that side or a AF(a)/PF(a) ? My wing back on the same side can play as IWB(d/s) or a WB(d) too.

As always: it depends. It depends on whether you want players combining vertically or not. If you have two attack duties in one vertical column of the pitch then you will be less likely to have them getting in each other's way when attacks progress, but then you might be leaving a gap in the pitch in that area.

32 minutes ago, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

Hopefully a quick one...

If I wanted to see my team play the ball into the channels either side of two strikers more regularly, what TI would I use? Pass into space? Direct passing? Or both?

Well it also depends a lot on the other team to actually leave that channels unprotected. So in other words if there is no space for whatever reason, it cant be exploited. In terms of Instructions, i would look for strikers that stretch the play and move into channels. Use pass into space to specifically force your players to make passes into space instead of into the feed. Increase your overall passing directness, to allow your players more frequently risky forward passes. If you dont want your team to boot the ball out of the defence, use play out of defense. You also need to adjust your tempo, to catch those moments where the others team defense is unorganized.

If you manage a big club, is it too much if you have TI such as:

- play shorter passes

- lower tempo

- counter and counter press

- overlap on one side

On a positive mentality, with a 4231 amc formation.

Just now, Bakiano said:

If you manage a big club, is it too much if you have TI such as:

- play shorter passes

- lower tempo

- counter and counter press

- overlap on one side

On a positive mentality, with a 4231 amc formation.

No, that's absolutely fine, it's when you have every single TI option ticked, then it's possibly too much 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

No, that's absolutely fine, it's when you have every single TI option ticked, then it's possibly too much 

Okay, I will try it that way. Thanks for the answer. 👍

In a 4231 which 2 midfield roles are the best to use? For the 2 midfielders and if a style of play is needed, i would say poss. focused. And...

is keeping mentality on balanced the best way to go? 

Just some extra info for this last one, i feel like when u have balanced and choose ur TI's and roles, duty u can go attacking more or less. But when u change mentality, many of ur TI's change which feels not oke or something. 

3 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

In a 4231 which 2 midfield roles are the best to use? For the 2 midfielders and if a style of play is needed, i would say poss. focused. And...

is keeping mentality on balanced the best way to go? 

Just some extra info for this last one, i feel like when u have balanced and choose ur TI's and roles, duty u can go attacking more or less. But when u change mentality, many of ur TI's change which feels not oke or something. 

Have a look At this post by @Experienced Defender

After playing Touch for a few years, I want to get back do "full" FM (I miss some of the features that are not present at touch).

But I was never very good at training... So I was thinking about delegating the training fully to my assistant manager... Is it a viable solution so I don't need to be totally hands on with training? Or this always results in terrible training regimens?

Thanks!!!

6 minutes ago, Jay_Santos said:

After playing Touch for a few years, I want to get back do "full" FM (I miss some of the features that are not present at touch).

But I was never very good at training... So I was thinking about delegating the training fully to my assistant manager... Is it a viable solution so I don't need to be totally hands on with training? Or this always results in terrible training regimens?

Thanks!!!

That's what it's there for, it's not a problem at all :thup:

Does anyone know what factors into going professional with a semi-pro club? Do you need a certain bankroll or reputation for your board to ok this? 

Edited by Miek

5 minutes ago, Miek said:

Does anyone know what factors into going professional with a semi-pro club? Do you need a certain bankroll or reputation for your board to ok this? 

Not really tactical but I think it's club rep, I was skint in FM21 & the board went pro, may depend on the board too deciding to change early/late

What impact does role familiarity have on the players performance? 

If im training a player as ball winning midfielder but would like to play them as a b2b in a specific match, when I make the change the players tactical familiarity plummets. 

Is this a big deal? Will it greatly influence there performance?