Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

which lone striker role is more attacking and penetrative - as in more likely to be a scorer...

DLF or F9?

Just looked at the mentalities, I'd say a DLF(A). On a Balanced team mentality a F9's individual mentality is Cautious 

1 saat önce, Fieldsy said:

which lone striker role is more attacking and penetrative - as in more likely to be a scorer...

DLF or F9?

If DLF on support; I would choose F9 because of its strange deep runs after dropping deep.

On 23/09/2021 at 01:08, stopazricky said:

Do player traits affect attributes? As in, having too many or teaching one more will decrease player attributes? Will removing one increase some of them? Or are they just unrelated?

Attributes only affect trait learning but traits do not affect attributes. A player will have a higher chance of learning a particular trait if he has the attributes to suit it. 

15 minutes ago, TehGoatLord said:

What role and setup would I need to make one of the fullbacks act as if a wide centreback when I am in possession? Iirc, even an FB-D sometimes overlaps. 

It’s more to do with the combination of Mentality, Role, Duty and the player.  So expect an FB-d to advance forward more often if using the Attacking mentality rather than the Defensive mentality.  Likewise a player with the Trait to get forward often will do so more often than a player without or a player with the Trait to stay back at all times.

31 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Will you get a message in inbox if your son appears in FM?

Hope others don't mind me answering this, but the answer is no. The only way is to check your intake. I've (obviously) only had one son in FM21, so a sample size of one. I'm not sure I've even seen anyone else saying they got a son this version. (I have found a couple of others now)

You won't even get an indication in your intake preview, although it would be interesting to see the intake preview of someone else who got a son just in case there's some incredibly well hidden phrase. (I've looked again at my preview. There's absolutely nothing unusual there).

Here's what might pass as the collective wisdom on sons.

15 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Hope others don't mind me answering this, but the answer is no. The only way is to check your intake. I've (obviously) only had one son in FM21, so a sample size of one. I'm not sure I've even seen anyone else saying they got a son this version. (I have found a couple of others now)

You won't even get an indication in your intake preview, although it would be interesting to see the intake preview of someone else who got a son just in case there's some incredibly well hidden phrase. (I've looked again at my preview. There's absolutely nothing unusual there).

Here's what might pass as the collective wisdom on sons.

Oh, he maybe was in my youth intake but I was never looking at the names, only at their CA i PA ofc. 😅

But shouldnt it be in my relationships maybe?

Thanks for the answer. 👍

7 hours ago, Bakiano said:

Oh, he maybe was in my youth intake but I was never looking at the names, only at their CA i PA ofc. 😅

But shouldn't it be in my relationships maybe?

Thanks for the answer. 👍

The obvious first step is to look at the surnames, and then if that matches check the information in favoured personnel to see if you're listed as the parent.

yes, my son did appear straight away in my 'relationships' as very close, though of course it didn't identify him there as my son.

The only place to look is at the regens.

If you think he's slipped past, you can search for your manager's surname in the search field at the centre top of the 'skin'. 

I have heard some people say that it's possible for your son to come through the ranks of another club. I'm not certain myself. Obviously people would probably miss any sons that come through at other clubs unless specifically searching. 

If this does happen, it is possible that you would need to scout the player to determine whether they are your son. If anyone knows for sure;

a) can sons appear at other clubs

b) would you need to scout them to know

I'd be interested.

Edited by vikeologist

1 minuto atrás, _mxrky disse:

I want my winger to stay high and wide, but still cut inside. Am i better off using an inverted winger with stay wider pi? or using a winger, but having a left footed player, playin gon the right for example?

I read here on the forums that the best option would be a left footed player on the right/right footed on the left, W(S)/W(A) with the PI "Roam from Position". I didn´t test myself, but what I read is that a good player could be totally imprevisibile and wreak havoc on defences with his anarchical movement.

Hello,

This is driving me crazy and I have this feeling that it is fixable with a hidden command like "shift+move or ctrl+move". Help!
Sorry in advance if the answer is somewhere in the 321 forum pages before this...

Ok, so my tactic in slot 1 is a 4-3-3 narrow. No wingers.
My tactic in slot 2 is a 5-3-2, meant for an in-match quick-change between the 2 tactics. As in: I like to change between them a lot.

The idea is that my central striker drops down a line and plays the central mid with an attacking duty (lets just say "central midfielder (attack)") while my (existing) central mid with a defensive duty ("Central midfielder (defend)") also drops one line down and now plays the central defender (/libero) of the 5. Simple, really. The 2 (vertically) central players (let's call them #10 and #6) drop down, making a 4-3-3 into a 5-3-2 - and vice versa.

But no matter how I do it, the game changes it so that when I switch between the 2, my striker jumps 2 lines down and becomes the central def/libero, while the CM changes role from defensive to attacking, but stays put. So to do my "quick change", I have to go to tactics and swap the players manually (swapping the striker now playing as DC and the MC(def) now playing as MC(att)) every single time.

Maybe that was too specific. To put it simpler, try this yourself:
In tactic slot 1, you choose the preset tactic: presets --> wing play --> 4-4-2
In tactic slot 2, you make a copy, but make both wingers inverted.
The Idea, of course, being that the 2 wingers swap places, to mix things up a bit, while everything else stays the same. And you want to do this in-game by just going to tactic 2, without visiting the tactics screen.

I just cannot make the game do that. I swap the wingers in tactic 2, but when I go back to tactic 1, they have also changed places in that tactic. (Yes, I know about the "swap positions with..." but that's not the point. They should do it when I change tactics)

In the same ballpark, I'd love to be able to change the order of players in the touchline view in-match (and other places, like in tactic screen/team selection). It could be OCD-related, but I just hate that the 3 strikers go ST(R), ST(L), STC. I want the middle guy to be in the middle - and really I'd also like the ST(L) to be first. I mean, if I have a 4-4-2, I'd love to be able to see them listed in this order: GK-DL-DCL-DCR-DR-ML-MCL-MCR-MR-STCL-STCR (and then I'd give all my left backs #2, #12, #22, #32 etc, all my DCL #3, #13 #23, all my DCR 4-14, DR 5-15-25 etc. (meaning that #35, note to self, is my 4th choice right back... and I should probably sell right back #75) But the game always wants to show me my DR first (after the keeper) except when it is totally messed up and it may be a midfielder at the very top, after the keeper, with some mids thrown in the attack. 

Do I have the power to change these 2 (somewhat related) things? And how??

Thanks in advance!

The PPM "Plays to Wide Areas" was previously named "Likes to Switch Ball to Other Side".

For me these names have a different meaning: The first says the player plays the ball wide regardless of where he himself is, whereas the second says he prefers long-ish diagonal balls. So for example a MCR under the first definition would prefer to play to the right OR left flank, whereas under the second he would preferably play towards the left flank.

Is this rename
a) just cosmetic because the old name was too long to properly fit?
b) done to better fit the actual behaviour?
c) done because the PPM's behaviour changed and the old one stopped fitting?

6 hours ago, Piperita said:

The PPM "Plays to Wide Areas" was previously named "Likes to Switch Ball to Other Side".

It must be a language thing because it's "Likes to switch ball to other flank", so a wide player would long pass to the other flank

If you play with short passes tactical style, it makes sense to play wide in possession instructions? I read in this forum that if you play with short passes is not advisable set to play wide when you have the ball.

Edited by daarser

6 hours ago, daarser said:

If you play with short passes tactical style, it makes sense to play wide in possession instructions?

It doesn't make sense to play short because the players are far from eachother.

You could live the passing on standard then pick 3 or 4 players you want to play short 

When it comes to defending, when is 'Force Opposition Inside' a good option?

My thinking would be if the opposition create a lot of chances from out wide, and you want to try and engage their wide players earlier.

I just struggle to see when you wouldn't want to use anything other than 'Force Opposition Outside; as surely restricting space centrally is always the safest option...

32 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

My thinking would be if the opposition create a lot of chances from out wide, and you want to try and engage their wide players earlier.

I just struggle to see when you wouldn't want to use anything other than 'Force Opposition Outside; as surely restricting space centrally is always the safest option...

I use it often, especially if my centre backs aren't aerial monsters or my 'keeper is crap in the air. As I often play 1-2 DMs, it forces the opposition to play into them and I win possession back.

14 hours ago, Luizinho said:

If you want to win the ball high up the pitch it can be helpful to press all areas of the pitch. However it obviously comes at the risk of being less compact centrally. 

4 minutes ago, Burbian De Bay said:

Will lower line of engagement in some cases lead the opponents to be pulled higher up the field, making them more vulnerable for counter-attacks? 

Indeed. This is where the defensive psrt of my tactical philosophy is based on

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Do Distribute to Centre Backs, Play out of Defence, and Work Ball into Box work well together or do they just provide sterile possession?

Cut play out of defense as that is a long ball thing. 

5 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Do Distribute to Centre Backs, Play out of Defence, and Work Ball into Box work well together or do they just provide sterile possession?

Not really. You can use them together 

4 hours ago, FMTouched said:

Cut play out of defense as that is a long ball thing. 

AFAIK you have that backwards. Play out of defense reduces your CB's desire to ping one forward. I have distribute to CBs/FBs, but don't use play out of defense, because I want my guys taking the occasional Dunk/Webster-esque diagonal/long ball.

19 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

This may not be an answer to the question, but Distribute to Centre Backs only means that the centre backs drops deep when goalkeeper is distributing. I am using this togheter with Play out of Defense and Work Ball into Box when using a possession style of play, but if the opponent Prevents Short Goalkeeper Distribution it often leads panic and a long ball from my centre backs, so you'll need players that can handle the situation without hoofing the ball.

Here's Cleon's The Art of Possession Football (unfortunately without images), he is using the same TI's and also explaining why:
https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/362872-the-art-of-possession-football/

On 23/09/2021 at 07:50, wingwangwong said:

Instead of increasing mentality in the desired positions

Focus play still modifies the player mentality in FM21 (in most cases). Central defenders, DMC and MC with defend duties will have increased mentalities when focussing through the middle. Similarly with wide players when focussing down the flanks. So players in the ‘focussed’ areas will play with more risk.

I strongly suspect that it also affects passing directions. Back in earlier versions, you could instruct a player to pass Left/Central/Right. So now if you focus down the middle, I imagine wide players will pass inside more to the central players who are playing with a higher mentality/risk. 

On 03/10/2021 at 09:48, Luizinho said:

Look at the opposition scout report. Do they score more from wide areas? Or central ones? Adapt your defensive width accordingly. 

I think it works the same for your attacking focus. If they concede more from out wide, then focus down the flanks etc.

How useful are the recommendations in the Team Report > Match Analysis tab?   Should u follow those with a bit of skepticism if it says things like add work ball into box etc?  Is that strictly based on performance analyst's stats?

2 hours ago, Aquaplex said:

How useful are the recommendations in the Team Report > Match Analysis tab?   Should u follow those with a bit of skepticism if it says things like add work ball into box etc?  Is that strictly based on performance analyst's stats?

Treat them with a pinch of salt.  Add in recommendations only if you yourself see that they are needed.

1 saat önce, Leon92 said:

What does "get further forward" PI do?

For example, what is the difference between an IF(su) with get further forward and an IF(A)?

IFs has lower mentality than IFa and that affects his risk taking. You force IFs to make more forward runs with that PI.

1 hour ago, zabyl said:

IFs has lower mentality than IFa and that affects his risk taking. You force IFs to make more forward runs with that PI.

The starting position of the IF on support is also slightly deeper

1 saat önce, DarJ said:

The starting position of the IF on support is also slightly deeper

I don't think like that but I can accept this. From my personal ME experience; I see them come deeper more to take a pass than start a deeper position. These are two different things. Playing position affects player's starting position not roles/duties. This is what I see on ME. Your approach is fine in theory.

Edited by zabyl

3 hours ago, zabyl said:

Would the increased risk taking also cause him to potentially lose the ball more? As he would play riskier passes & try & play his way out of trouble?

2 saat önce, smeagoltonez said:

Would the increased risk taking also cause him to potentially lose the ball more?

Yes of course. It increases the chance of making a bad choice when doing a pass, shot, cross, dribbling, pressing and marking.

Edited by zabyl

One I've always been meaning to ask..... Can I get an accurate description in layman's terms as to what Transition-Press and Transition-Restrict do/is the difference?

The in-game descriptions are as follows:

T-P: "Specific work on transitioning from defence to attacking through pressing the opponent"

T-R: "Specific work on transitioning to defence after losing possession by restricting the space in which the opposition can play"

I think the wording could be clearer, for instance take T-R... Is that falling back into defensive shape or looking to counter-press? If you are looking for your team to counter-press in transition which of the two options is better? Bits of both descriptions could apply.

Or is there no tactical benefit/meaning to these training sessions, and they are purely for attribute development?

I have some issues with my CBs pair. 

I have one 26 yo experienced CB (left foot) which played for me last 4 seasons as CD cover; Two seasons ago I bought an 19 yo stopper which developed in a BPD cover (he can play stopper as well), being even better than my other CD. 

I dunno how my younger CD developed as a BPD cover as I trained him as a NCB stopper :D 

Anyway, the issue is that the young one is much better and have greater speed so I switched them for some games, my original started as CD stopper and the young gun as BPD cover which I think  it was a bad decision.

They had some bad games in a row, with my CD stopper being guilty of few easy scores. Now I got that partnership issue, that they do not play well together.

Any ideas how to get over this and salvage this partnership? These are my 2 best backs so I don't want to sell any...This happened despite being placed 1st in the league and eventually winning it, albeit I stopped playing the CD stopper (injury) and put in a youngster for last matches.

They are suited for the respective roles, the star ratings are top ones and I did not noticed any issues between them, they're in the same social group and so on. 

Edited by CharlieTZR

16 minutes ago, CharlieTZR said:

Any ideas how to get over this? These are my 2 best backs so I don't want to sell any...

That nasty green line between them? I hate that but it can fixed once they get a few good games together under their belt.

First off, study the attributes of both & decide which man is best for each job. Like you say, your cover defender is now your stopper defender & has had a few stinkers, maybe he's not the best man for the job & you should be moving back to a cover

To be honest, I find Stopper/Cover combos a a pain to keep track of & distorts the back line. Like vs a 1 man striker shape, they're be okay, but against a two man strike partnership or a 9 with a deeper 10, you have to make sure you have the Stopper/Cover partnership set properly, too much effort :D  

21 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

That nasty green line between them? I hate that but it can fixed once they get a few good games together under their belt.

First off, study the attributes of both & decide which man is best for each job. Like you say, your cover defender is now your stopper defender & has had a few stinkers, maybe he's not the best man for the job & you should be moving back to a cover

To be honest, I find Stopper/Cover combos a a pain to keep track of & distorts the back line. Like vs a 1 man striker shape, they're be okay, but against a two man strike partnership or a 9 with a deeper 10, you have to make sure you have the Stopper/Cover partnership set properly, too much effort :D  

Well, green I guess means good, I have a orange ish interrupted line between them.

I guess I should move them back in their roles first or even playing plain CD combo without stopper/cover ; I picked that because most of the teams in my league play 4-2-3-1 so if I shut down the isolated striker then is all good. Thanks, I'll try to make them work

1 hour ago, CharlieTZR said:

Well, green I guess means good, I have a orange ish interrupted line between them.

I guess I should move them back in their roles first or even playing plain CD combo without stopper/cover ; I picked that because most of the teams in my league play 4-2-3-1 so if I shut down the isolated striker then is all good. Thanks, I'll try to make them work

Yeah sorry, red, amber , orange, it's not nice to see on your lineup

Against a 4-2-3-1 it could be risky, if your Stopper rushes out to the AMC he could nod it over it to the striker, the striker could beat the Cover defender in the air etc. Just watch back & see why they didn't play well together. I'd just remove all doubt myself & use a double defend duty