Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

17 minuti fa, tamertunatt ha scritto:

You are absolutely right sir.As I said we are underdogs.I gave much lower tempo,slow pace down and playing narrow instructions because I don't rely on my players' technique and mental attributes(Expect talented midfielder).Also I want to give less goal chances to opponents.

Yes I got that, what I'm saying is that you will never effectively counter by playing this way. When IRL you see a weaker side play on the counter are they slowing everything down when countering?

You are already set in a difensive bottom-heavy formation and you can solidify your defence even more with the appropriate roles/duties and out of possession instructions. But when in transition/in possession you gotta be much more willing to attack otherwise you will be too passive and never show up in the final third.

Those TIs that you set, as counterintuitive as it may sound, are much more appropriate for a control possession style of play and that's the exact opposite of what you said you wanted to achieve.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the definition of key pass in FM21? 

Which passes are considered as key pass in FM21?  

Does this game count an accurate cross from a set piece as key pass?

Is there any info on the forums about key passes SI staff shared?

Edited by zabyl

11 minutes ago, zabyl said:

What is the definition of key pass in FM21? 

Pass that leads to a shot on goal.

They changed the way key passes are registered this year

Edited by DarJ

2 dakika önce, DarJ said:

Pass that leads to a shot on goal.

So you say every pass that leads to a shot on goal counted as key pass in FM21. If it is like that then there is no importance on key pass statistics in FM21. 

30 minutes ago, zabyl said:

So you say every pass that leads to a shot on goal counted as key pass in FM21. If it is like that then there is no importance on key pass statistics in FM21. 

Yep, you want to boosts a player's rating? Put them on set pieces & they'll wrack up key passes galore. I really dislike that fact 

14 dakika önce, Johnny Ace said:

Yep, you want to boosts a player's rating? Put them on set pieces & they'll wrack up key passes galore. I really dislike that fact 

Are there any other things to be ignored or bugs that can affect gameplay?

Edited by zabyl

47 minutes ago, zabyl said:

Are there any other things to be ignored or bugs that can affect gameplay?

One thing I tend to ignore sometimes is the average rating of my DLP. Playmakers tend to be judged by the number of key passes they have per game and sometimes the DLP isn't making those passes but he makes the pass before the key pass so it might impact their rating negatively

20 dakika önce, DarJ said:

One thing I tend to ignore sometimes is the average rating of my DLP. Playmakers tend to be judged by the number of key passes they have per game and sometimes the DLP isn't making those passes but he makes the pass before the key pass so it might impact their rating negatively

@Rashidi has a video about it on his youtube channel bustthenet if you didn't watch. It can solve the issue you encountered with the DLP.

4 ore fa, zabyl ha scritto:

It's not only that btw. Most of my games have a different number of key passes and shots on target so there should be more

14 hours ago, zabyl said:

I promote better one to u21 and play him at least 5 first team matches in a season without promoting him to first team. According to my experience I can say this pushes a youngster's development more. I don't loan youngsters which is under 19 years old. Also I don't loan youngsters which has low adaptability. Promoting one to upper team can increase other's development like having more game time on u19 level. After the better one's development gets him a higher level, I choose using him on first team or loaning him out and I repeat this loop for other youngster.

My U23 only play friendlies because they were only instated after a few seasons when I went fully professional

anybody know why in one save I was able to assign people like HOYD and head performance analyst as coaches to training and in another one I can only assign actual coaches (and myself and my ass-man)? I thought at least HOYD could always do training as well.

2 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

does height matter if jumping reach is the same? 

Height is used if the player doesn't have to leave the ground. Jumping reach is what's used if the player leaves the ground.

47 minutes ago, bosque said:

Is there a thread or a guide with set of instructions recommended for different playing styles? Or a guide for playing styles. 

Lots of guides pinned to the top of the forum.  Start with "Tactic and Strategy Guides" :thup:.

2 if I can, 1st one is sort of tactical:

1. How do I know who's my captain during a game? There used to be a little c somewhere that told you.
  2. I've just brought a left footed AF, I've never thought about it before in a two man partnership, am I better off playing him on the left or right? I suppose both have pros & cons 

1 saat önce, Johnny Ace said:

I've just brought a left footed AF, I've never thought about it before in a two man partnership, am I better off playing him on the left or right? I suppose both have pros & cons 

I use Antonio Conte's approach for this. Inside cutting striker roles are my second favourite thing in FM for a long time. They have better angles to shot on goal with their stronger foot. Thomas Tuchel also uses Lukaku like that if you paid attention Lukaku's positioning with Chelsea.

My favourite thing is by far inside cutting wingers not inverted wingers or inside forwards. I think this is an underrated role usage of Ws/a. I suppose many FM players don't know its potential. The movement inside cutting winger creates Messi & Ronaldo movements when they played on the wings. All you need to use your best wide attacker with fine technicals as Wa (+roaming) on his weaker foot's side. Opposition FB can't stop a highly technical and fast player on his own. Inside cutting winger takes down opposition FB one on one, and has two options... using the channel between FB-CB... or using the space outside of FB... Both options are good.

3 ore fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

I've just brought a left footed AF, I've never thought about it before in a two man partnership, am I better off playing him on the left or right? I suppose both have pros & cons 

I think it's better to put them on their strong foot side (at least in the game). Reason being when CBs force them outside they're now on their strong foot and they can finish/pass better even if they don't have the best angle. If they're forced inside, well, thanks a lot! It's a win-win for me.

17 minutes ago, alerosso said:

I think it's better to put them on their strong foot side (at least in the game). Reason being when CBs force them outside they're now on their strong foot and they can finish/pass better even if they don't have the best angle. If they're forced inside, well, thanks a lot! It's a win-win for me.

Yeah, it's one of them, you see them in situations & wish they were the other footed & vice versa. My right footed striker was always played on the right side & he has 121 goals in 161 games for me. I suppose an ingame switch is always another trick up the sleeve 

1 minuto fa, Johnny Ace ha scritto:

Yeah, it's one of them, you see them in situations & wish they were the other footed & vice versa. My right footed striker was always played on the right side & he has 121 goals in 161 games for me. I suppose an ingame switch is always another trick up the sleeve 

Also, keeping in mind the other team can use the "force player on his weaker foot" OI it makes the most sense for me playing them as said above for that exact reason. Glad to hear you had great results doing that too.

6 dakika önce, Johnny Ace said:

Take into account that most of the centre backs are right footed in the game as in real football :) . This may have increased your striker's scoring chances if opposition used one on LCB.

49 minuti fa, fraudiola ha scritto:

does cross type instruction affect corners? what if i want to hit low crosses for my pacey striker in open and play but float crosses or at least regular crosses on corners for my CBs? 

Crosses and corners are two different things. Low crosses doesn't make you take low corners the same way as they don't make you take low throw-ins

20 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:
  1. How do I know who's my captain during a game? There used to be a little c somewhere that told you. 

I found this in the end, during a game, Tactics - Captain. I was only asking because I was playing friendlies and making loads of subs so I had no clue  

29 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I found this in the end, during a game, Tactics - Captain. I was only asking because I was playing friendlies and making loads of subs so I had no clue  

To make life easier, you could also just nickname your captain. Something like *C* <name>.

6 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

To make life easier, you could also just nickname your captain. Something like *C* <name>.

Problem is, he doesn't get in my squad anymore so he was no where near the pitch, the vice had been subbed off too 

(1) What situations are best suited to the instructions 'run at defence' and its alternative 'dribble less'?

(2) What sort of situations are ideal for the lower tempo and which would call for a higher tempo?

(3) Is staying in your shape after the ball has been won a defensive move, or is there a reason to do it related to build up of attacks? 

Sorry for asking three questions at once. I just have always guessed at these things. So looking for a firmer understanding. If it's cool, I might ask some questions about player instructions after these have been answered. Don't want to overwhelm the thread though. 

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

(1) What situations are best suited to the instructions 'run at defence' and its alternative 'dribble less'?

(2) What sort of situations are ideal for the lower tempo and which would call for a higher tempo?

(3) Is staying in your shape after the ball has been won a defensive move, or is there a reason to do it related to build up of attacks? 

Sorry for asking three questions at once. I just have always guessed at these things. So looking for a firmer understanding. If it's cool, I might ask some questions about player instructions after these have been answered. Don't want to overwhelm the thread though. 

People might might have different interpretations but to me:

1) One's a risky option, one's a safe option. Encouraging more running might help get the ball forward quicker & encourage players to break lines. Dribble less is much safer & ideal for keeping possession. You might have a team of players that are great runners on the ball, or the other team have a number of players booked, you might be chasing a goal etc you might consider using 

2) Again, safe & risky options. Highers tempo encourages players to get the ball forward faster so they will be making decisions quickly, a lower tempo is more, weigh up your options, keep hold of the ball & take your time. If you're chasing a goal, upping the tempo might be an option at bringing more goal scoring chances (not always the best chances though). If you're ahead & are in no rush to score, lowering the tempo might be an option. Might even be playing a possession style of football

3) I see it as being defensive & never use it to be honest  

1 saat önce, Tikka Mezzala said:

All of their answers depend on your playing style, opposition's playing style, both teams' strengths and weaknesses,

I use run at defence against narrow deep defence or for a weak point like a yellow card or a condition issue on opposition side combined with focus play to that side. Also this TI can be used for creating a style.

I don't use dribble less much, but If I see opposition plays attacking football, I sometimes adapt a counter style with activating this for lowering risks.

I use lower tempo when I want to draw opposition for creating space with standard or deeper DL combined with build up from the back. If I see enough space for runners I use higher tempo for exploiting those areas faster before opposition gets into defensive shape. I generally start games with standard tempo.

I generally use counter against stronger sides. I don't use hold shape too much. But it is beneficial to use against deep sitting weaker teams to lower losing position and counters. If I can't decide which side is better, I use none.

Edited by zabyl
typo

17 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

People might might have different interpretations but to me:

1) One's a risky option, one's a safe option. Encouraging more running might help get the ball forward quicker & encourage players to break lines. Dribble less is much safer & ideal for keeping possession. You might have a team of players that are great runners on the ball, or the other team have a number of players booked, you might be chasing a goal etc you might consider using 

2) Again, safe & risky options. Highers tempo encourages players to get the ball forward faster so they will be making decisions quickly, a lower tempo is more, weigh up your options, keep hold of the ball & take your time. If you're chasing a goal, upping the tempo might be an option at bringing more goal scoring chances (not always the best chances though). If you're ahead & are in no rush to score, lowering the tempo might be an option. Might even be playing a possession style of football

3) I see it as being defensive & never use it to be honest  

12 minutes ago, zabyl said:

All of their answers depend on your playing style, opposition's playing style, both teams' strengths and weaknesses,

I use run at defence against narrow deep defence or for a weak point like a yellow card or a condition issue on opposition side combined with focus play to that side. Also this TI can be used for creating a style.

I don't use dribble less much, but If I see oppositon plays attacking football, I sometimes adapt a counter style with activating this for lowering risks.

I use lower tempo when I want to draw opposition for creating space with standard or deeper DL combined with build up from the back. If I see enough space for runners I use higher tempo for exploiting those areas faster before opposition gets into defensive shape. I generally start games with standard tempo.

I generally use counter against stronger sides. I don't use hold shape too much. But it is beneficial to use against deep sitting weaker teams to lower losing position and counters. If I can't decide which side is better, I use none.

Thanks guys, this has really helped. 

2 ore fa, Tikka Mezzala ha scritto:

I think both are really depending on tour playstyle. For instance, think of what Barcelona and Spain did for a decade with tiki taka. They focused on moving the ball (dribbling less) while forcing the other team to run nonstop after it. When they lost possession they looked to win it back asap but once they got it back they weren't really countering, they were pretty much holding shape in order to immediately restart their very organised offence. You can also say they were playing at a lower tempo since they never really forced a ball or a shot but patiently waited for the right opportunity to arise.

Outside of tiki taka, I think you can use them in specific situations. You can run at the defence if the other team has a lot of booked players. You can dribble less if they get a player sent off to make them run even more and force errors.

3 minutes ago, alerosso said:

I think both are really depending on tour playstyle. For instance, think of what Barcelona and Spain did for a decade with tiki taka. They focused on moving the ball (dribbling less) while forcing the other team to run nonstop after it. When they lost possession they looked to win it back asap but once they got it back they weren't really countering, they were pretty much holding shape in order to immediately restart their very organised offence. You can also say they were playing at a lower tempo since they never really forced a ball or a shot but patiently waited for the right opportunity to arise.

Outside of tiki taka, I think you can use them in specific situations. You can run at the defence if the other team has a lot of booked players. You can dribble less if they get a player sent off to make them run even more and force errors.

Good points. 

I'm managing Zenit at the moment, and I have some good dribblers in the team. Malcolm, Driussi, Alan Velasco, and Claudinho all offer me good options for running at defences. 

I've struggled a bit with breaking down stubborn defences, so I've gone back to basics to allow me some flexibility depending on scenarios. I was playing the gegenpress 4-2-3-1, but it was drawing blanks against some more defensive sides, plus Lovren and Rakitskiy are quite slow at the back, so I've dropped off a bit defensively, both to account for my lack of pace and to draw out the opponent more. I'm hoping this allows my inside forwards more space to exploit. 

@Tikka Mezzala against stubborn defences you can also try to play out of defence and possibly lowering your mentality to balanced, lowering a bit the tempo and not press them too much. Basically don't try too hard when attacking and leave them a bit more freedom when defending in order to draw them out a bit more. Otherwise they will most likely park the bus and it becomes really frustrating trying to snitch out a win.

If someone has "Reasonable" as opposite foot for an "Inverted/Inside" positions, is that enough to play him there? or are his performances still largely impacted.

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

51 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

If someone has "Reasonable" as opposite foot for an "Inverted/Inside" positions, is that enough to play him there? or are his performances still largely impacted.

I think that "reasonable" is perfectly fine. In my present save in my last three matches my ARM was an Inverted Winger. He's got a reasonable left foot and his last three rating were 7.4 when he scored a goal, 6.1 when he had a nightmare as did the whole of team in that match, and 7.2 when he had an assist.

On 13/09/2021 at 21:26, zabyl said:

I use Antonio Conte's approach for this. Inside cutting striker roles are my second favourite thing in FM for a long time. They have better angles to shot on goal with their stronger foot. Thomas Tuchel also uses Lukaku like that if you paid attention Lukaku's positioning with Chelsea.

This is the answer

On 13/09/2021 at 22:43, Johnny Ace said:

This was nonsense! He was on the left!!

He's on a 12 game goal drought playing on the right whereas the left footed lad I brought in nearly has as many goals as him in half the games 

This hit me at 02:30am after a terrible run! I'm so annoyed :D

Edited by Johnny Ace

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

what does that mean? sorry for my ignorance 

Like, on a timer, when team A gains the ball, their timer starts. When team B wins the ball, their timer starts & Team A's stops.

So, for the sake of simplicity, Over 10 minutes of the game, if team A has the the ball for 4 of those 10 minutes & team B has the ball for 6 minutes, Team A has 40% possession & Team B has 60%   

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Like, on a timer, when team A gains the ball, their timer starts. When team B wins the ball, their timer starts & Team A's stops.

So, for the sake of simplicity, Over 10 minutes of the game, if team A has the the ball for 4 of those 10 minutes & team B has the ball for 6 minutes, Team A has 40% possession & Team B has 60%   

Thanks.

What other way is possession calculated?

Edited by DarJ

23 dakika önce, DarJ said:

Thanks.

What other way is possession calculated?

Opta now record possession in a football match by means of an automated calculation based on the number of passes that a team has in a game.

We have two analysts, each monitoring one of the teams and they log each event in a game, totalling between 1600 and 2000 events per match. Each of these events has a timecode plus an x,y coordinate and the collection system is rigorously monitored by our team of checkers.

During the game, the passes for each team are totalled up and then each team’s total is divided by the game total to produce a percentage figure which shows the percentage of the game that each team has accrued in possession of the ball.

Much better than chess clock system...

Edited by zabyl

With regards to the 'stopper' and 'cover' duties, what scenarios are these duties best employed in?

I know the obvious option for the cover seems to be when a team looks to get their forward in behind you. But does it have any relation to inside forwards trying to make angled runs in behind? Can a covering defender negate this movement by occupying the space the IF would look to exploit? Also, as for the space left in front of the covering defender, is it only advisable to use 'cover' when there is a player in the DM strata to deal with that extra vacated space?

I have very little idea about 'stoppers'. I get the idea is to be more aggressive and step out of the backline, and the obvious risks this poses of getting turned or passed around, but what kind of set-up is it best used against and avoided against? 

14 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

With regards to the 'stopper' and 'cover' duties, what scenarios are these duties best employed in?

I know the obvious option for the cover seems to be when a team looks to get their forward in behind you. But does it have any relation to inside forwards trying to make angled runs in behind? Can a covering defender negate this movement by occupying the space the IF would look to exploit? Also, as for the space left in front of the covering defender, is it only advisable to use 'cover' when there is a player in the DM strata to deal with that extra vacated space?

I have very little idea about 'stoppers'. I get the idea is to be more aggressive and step out of the backline, and the obvious risks this poses of getting turned or passed around, but what kind of set-up is it best used against and avoided against? 

Stopper/cover is just a strict split of defensive responsibilities for your defenders.

a standard CD(d) partnership will interchange depending on their positioning who of them will leave the defensive line to press the first attacker and who is supposed to provide cover for runs or through balls.

it can make sense to strictly split these responsibilities, if your defenders are very different from their skillset. If you have a very pacy defender, you can give him the full responsibility to cover. Or if one of your defenders is very aggressive you can make him responsible to always move out and press the attackers.  

Edited by CARRERA

2 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Stopper/cover is just a strict split of defensive responsibilities for your defenders.

a standard CD(d) partnership will interchange depending on their positioning who of them will leave the defensive line to press the first attacker and who is supposed to provide cover for runs or through balls.

it can make sense to strictly split these responsibilities, if your defenders are very different from their skillset. If you have a very pacy defender, you can give him the full responsibility to cover. Or if one of your defenders is very aggressive you can make him responsible to always move out and press the attackers.  

I understand that. But in terms of how these duties may perform against specific opponents, I'm looking for clarification on when they are best utilised/avoided. 

For example: if I am facing an IF(a) on the opponents left, would having a RCB(st) present the IF(a) with the ideal opportunity to get in behind me on that side?

5 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

For example: if I am facing an IF(a) on the opponents left, would having a RCB(st) present the IF(a) with the ideal opportunity to get in behind me on that side?

No, once again, it is just a re-distribution of defensive responsibilities. He will be aggressive, yes but someone else in your defensive unit will provide cover for him. The only reason for utilizing a stopper/cover duty is your defenders skillset.