Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Novem9 said:

I noticed some people use two WCB roles in own tactics. Is it exploit? If I want to create balanced realistic tactic, do I need use 2CB + 1 WCB or 2 WCB using IRL too?

I use 1 wcb, I would think that 2 people roaming wide will make it very hard for the central defender. IRL teams use 1 wcb mostly from what I've noticed.

36 minutes ago, alittletoojack said:

has anyone had much joy with inside forward/inverted winger playing on their natural side? so a right footer on the right wing and vice versa?

I had a save with IFa on their natural side. They were mostly shooting with their natural foot and scored. 

9 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

Why is it almost impossible to defend in fm. 

No matter what I do, my own tactic or a downloaded one clean sheets are a rarity if ever.

Defenders run about like headless chickens most of the time. 

This seems more like a rant than a question, but to answer you - yes it's possible to defend/keep clean sheets. If you need tactical help, it's going to be best to create a new thread, show your tactic and the issues you have. The more detail you can provide, the better.

22 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

Why is it almost impossible to defend in fm. 

No matter what I do, my own tactic or a downloaded one clean sheets are a rarity if ever.

Defenders run about like headless chickens most of the time. 

It's possible to defend. Look here

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/561586-lowest-lines-no-pressure-defensive-mentality-it-works/

How would you go about creating a "wide B2B", i.e. a player that starts from the wide midfielder position, but plays like a box to box in the half-space. My thinking is a WM(s) base, but not sure which player instructions to use. The player playing there is not the best technical player, nor the best winger, but has a lot of work rate and good defensive and finishing stats. Context would be something like below, where the two CMs and the WM create a 3-man midfield, with WB overlapping and a front 3 consisting of a winger, a shadow striker and a target man/dlf/pf:

GK

FB(s) - CD(d) - CD(d) - WB(s)

W(a) - CM(s) - DLP(s) - WM(s)

SS(a)

TM(s)

1 hour ago, kennypavey said:

How would you go about creating a "wide B2B", i.e. a player that starts from the wide midfielder position, but plays like a box to box in the half-space.

Not sure if this helpful, but back at Birmingham, in like FM18, they had a winger called Isaac Vassell with the "Moves into channels" PPM & he would do exactly that, instead of staying wide like a winger he'd tuck into the channel & bomb up field with the ball in the half space.

Could be worth a try, finding a player with the PPM & adjusting from there 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Not sure if this helpful, but back at Birmingham, in like FM18, they had a winger called Isaac Vassell with the "Moves into channels" PPM & he would do exactly that, instead of staying wide like a winger he'd tuck into the channel & bomb up field with the ball in the half space.

Could be worth a try, finding a player with the PPM & adjusting from there 

What is a good "base" role then? Still WM(s), and then play with the PPMs?

1 hour ago, kennypavey said:

What is a good "base" role then? Still WM(s), and then play with the PPMs?

Yeah, or just a winger. Bare in mind, a BBM probably has some under the hood instructions, so you probably won't be able to 100% replicate it but you'll be as close as you can 

I'm sure someone has asked this before, but I struggle using the search to actually find what I want...

Is it better to keep a young player at my club with excellent facilities, but with no first team game time, or to loan him to a club where he'll get game time, but has awful facilities? 

As a follow up, is there kind of a sweet spot, like average facilities/important player = excellent facilities/future prospect? 

In a tactic with 1 striker, which striker role comes into the ball, lays off the ball to a midfield player, then attacks the box/space? What I found is that any support role does the first very well, but isn't aggressive enough attacking the box while any attacking role doesn't come into the ball, leaving him isolated up top.

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

How do you stop the "free kick to an unmarked AI player at the edge of the box"? I have someone on the edge in my setpiece setup, but it doesnt seem to matter

Put 2 players at the edge of the box

6 hours ago, duvels said:

In a tactic with 1 striker, which striker role comes into the ball, lays off the ball to a midfield player, then attacks the box/space? What I found is that any support role does the first very well, but isn't aggressive enough attacking the box while any attacking role doesn't come into the ball, leaving him isolated up top.

Try traits as moves into channels and plays one twos,

Or players with high anticipation, off the ball and vision.

Edited by Sharkn20

9 hours ago, duvels said:

Like, as in drops off to pick up the ball? A DLF(A) or CF(A) would look to do that, then break forward 

30 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

Try traits as moves into channels and plays one twos,

Or players with high anticipation, off the ball and vision.

I'm using Lewandowski at the moment, who has 18, 17, 13 in those and does have the plays one-twos trait.

From what I want and reading the description, I'd say the Deep Lying Forward on Attack duty should do what I want to see, but he is a bit lacking in both regards of build up and attacking the box.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Like, as in drops off to pick up the ball? A DLF(A) or CF(A) would look to do that, then break forward 

Well, he doesn't break forward anymore. And on attack duty for both roles, he isn't really dropping deep either, or isn't reached by the midfielders.

In order to stretch the opponent defenders ,does a Winger (maybe a player on inverted foot,for example a left-footed RW) stay wider than an Inverted Winger with the "stay wider" PI selected?

7 minutes ago, duvels said:

Well, he doesn't break forward anymore. And on attack duty for both roles, he isn't really dropping deep either, or isn't reached by the midfielders.

Hmm, he should do. I play Antonio DLF(A) & he does that & will often be deeper than players in the AMLRC slots. Is it something that just never happens?

1 hour ago, duvels said:

In transition? Or in the build-up. In the build up, *most attack duty strikers are usually far off. But not in transitions (for DLFA/PFA, especially). CF(s) will give you a balance, if you have the player.

12 hours ago, DarJ said:

Put 2 players at the edge of the box

Ill try it, but now you mention it, I have two players at the edge of the box on an attakcing corner, because I dont have that many great headers. However, they are always like a meter apart instead of spreading out a bit more and covering more ground. How do you fix that?

9 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

How do you fix that?

There is nothing you can do about it but having two players on the edge of the box will definitly help you to stop conceding from corners or freekicks to the edge of the bos=x

13 hours ago, duvels said:

I'm using Lewandowski at the moment, who has 18, 17, 13 in those and does have the plays one-twos trait.

From what I want and reading the description, I'd say the Deep Lying Forward on Attack duty should do what I want to see, but he is a bit lacking in both regards of build up and attacking the box.

I wouldn't say 13 in vision is high by any means. But the other 2 are pretty good.

A DLF(At) should produce those runs, but he needs the space for that. Are the defenders atracted to other players and living the space they occupy? Or they are just stuck in the area?

If that's the case I am afraid you are just too good and everyone gets 10 players behind the ball. If that's the case work on your set pieces routines and have alternatives around the area for long shots. Low blocks are very hard to break otherwise.

It's difficult to tell you anything else without seeing your tactic or the clips of the plays that are not happening.

Edited by Sharkn20

Can anyone guide me on training roles and tactical familiarity. I find the whole system confusing and broken.

I play a pretty standard 4-3-3 with inverted wingbacks in the fullback positions. So naturally I decide to train my fullbacks in this specific position and role. For example: DL as an Inverted Wingback Support.

This nicely builds up their role familiarity and which means that they are very comfortable performing that role within my current tactics.

However, should I wish to adjust my tactics and use a fullback role that can give me more width (ie. Wingback Support), the players are then suddenly unfamiliar with how the role works (ie. thier role familiarity will decrease). Meaning tactically we suffer, despite them being perfectly suited to perform the role.

Am I missing something here?

32 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Can anyone guide me on training roles and tactical familiarity. I find the whole system confusing and broken.

I play a pretty standard 4-3-3 with inverted wingbacks in the fullback positions. So naturally I decide to train my fullbacks in this specific position and role. For example: DL as an Inverted Wingback Support.

This nicely builds up their role familiarity and which means that they are very comfortable performing that role within my current tactics.

However, should I wish to adjust my tactics and use a fullback role that can give me more width (ie. Wingback Support), the players are then suddenly unfamiliar with how the role works (ie. thier role familiarity will decrease). Meaning tactically we suffer, despite them being perfectly suited to perform the role.

Am I missing something here?

Have a look at this thread and scroll down to @Rashidi's comments starting on 4 December 2021

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Have a look at this thread and scroll down to @Rashidi's comments starting on 4 December 2021

Yeah I saw that - it still isn't clear to me.

Take Frenkie De Jong in my save. He regularly plays as a Mezzala in my 4-3-3. He is also being trained in the Mezzela (S) role in CM.

Here is his training overview - as you can see on the right, he is very familiar with the Mezzala role in my tactic:

1556573539_Screenshot2022-01-07at19_32_35.thumb.png.4690810ef6b826d8550d858136f988f6.png

However, if I wanted to tweak my tactic for a game and use a DLP (S). Look what happens to his familiarity, despite being one of the best DLP in the world:

1939967978_Screenshot2022-01-07at19_32_54.thumb.png.91347476598f14a9ad2847fdc85858e7.png

26 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

However, if I wanted to tweak my tactic for a game and use a DLP (S). Look what happens to his familiarity, despite being one of the best DLP in the world:

you are reading too much into it, it makes little to no difference 

I am having issues with super low possession numbers against lower quality opposition. I run a 433 but with 2 up top. Midfield is usually HB with AP-S and BW-s ahead. Just had a match against a 4th tier side in the cup who was playing 442. They ended up with 64% possession. We won 1-0 but we could not sniff the ball and were very lucky to go through. My thought is they were just playing so cautious that my DM was not really part of the midfield or something? We run higher lines with a spit press from the front 3 and the BWM but we seemingly never could get the ball off oppo CMs. 

Would a fix be to either make the DM something more aggressive, like just a DM-D/S or maybe drop the LOE/raise the DL to compact the middle? 

^That's thread worthy - but in the context of this thread: man-mark their 2 or 3 main passers/players involved in their high traffic patterns of passing (if they are genuinely poor, they'll either turn it over or have to use a different player/players who should be poorer and will turn it over), move DM to CM.

Really though, more info and a specific thread or reviving a 'cannot get the ball of bad teams' thread can enable you to get into specifics.

Edited by CaptCanuck

On 08/01/2022 at 01:40, tchas said:

I am having issues with super low possession numbers against lower quality opposition. I run a 433 but with 2 up top. Midfield is usually HB with AP-S and BW-s ahead. Just had a match against a 4th tier side in the cup who was playing 442. They ended up with 64% possession. We won 1-0 but we could not sniff the ball and were very lucky to go through. My thought is they were just playing so cautious that my DM was not really part of the midfield or something? We run higher lines with a spit press from the front 3 and the BWM but we seemingly never could get the ball off oppo CMs. 

Would a fix be to either make the DM something more aggressive, like just a DM-D/S or maybe drop the LOE/raise the DL to compact the middle? 

Use man marking more. Get a specific player in their player with more touches, that should make things harder.

I struggle with teams playing "Control Possession", but most of the times man marking their main piece in the chess board gives me more possession.

Sorry for repeating my question, but I've posted at the general forum and since there was no reply this section might be more appropriate.

Regarding OIs, I already know Rashidi brought light to the issue but I have set my OIs for general position and if I press that little icon on the players opposition page, the OIs I have set are displayed as Rashidi explained.

My question is do I have to click the icon for every match ? Because if I don't my AssMan starts giving advices about setting the OI for opposition players as if general OIs have not been set.

Thank you

1 hour ago, pedrosantos said:

My question is do I have to click the icon for every match ?

Yes. I do it after the team talk because if you do it before going into the game when the AI make substitution it resets it again to the player 

5 hours ago, DarJ said:

Yes. I do it after the team talk because if you do it before going into the game when the AI make substitution it resets it again to the player 

Thanks, I also noticed that.

Not sure what's the logic with this, every single match to have to click 11 icons to get the OIs, it used to be a lot easier

11 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Thanks, I also noticed that.

Not sure what's the logic with this, every single match to have to click 11 icons to get the OIs, it used to be a lot easier

If you are doing 11 OIs something is not right with your tactic.

Use OIs to your own peril, they can de-structure your whole defensive shape.

31 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

If you are doing 11 OIs something is not right with your tactic.

Use OIs to your own peril, they can de-structure your whole defensive shape.

Fortunately I do not have problems with my defensive shape :) only a bit frustrated that general OIs became non-assumed automatically and I have to click an icon for every match.

If I wanted to emulate a IRL Real Madrid tactic, which role would be Benzema ? 

There was a time when he was definitely a False 9 (When playing with CR7 and Bale) but nowadays he still got this role while scoring and being attacking more. 

On 12/01/2022 at 21:19, CRN711 said:

If I wanted to emulate a IRL Real Madrid tactic, which role would be Benzema ? 

There was a time when he was definitely a False 9 (When playing with CR7 and Bale) but nowadays he still got this role while scoring and being attacking more. 

According to his attributes and traits, he's still pretty good as a F9. But I understand what you're saying.

I've played a season with him as a PFat and it went average, nothing special. I guess he can also be an DLFsu of AFat, but most of all it depends on the rest of your set-up of roles and duties.

I have some frustrations in the game that I'd like to hear some advice about. I generally love to play with 3-at-the-back systems. But genuine ones, with side midfielders instead of wingbacks. In real life this is common and normal. In FM you can pick 3-5-2 varieties from the formations list, but in the game they never work. Wide midfielders do their defensive duties quite okay, until, suddenly, they let their man walk and its a goal against. In a good game that happens once, in a bad game 3 or 4 times. Specific man-marking duties only tends to make it all messier with all the IF's and overlapping full backs.

What can be done to make 3-at-the-back less suicidal? Do other people use it at all, or am I asking for the impossible?

First season with Newcastle. Looking to get a really top playmaker in support duty (roaming, deep lying etc) in what mainly will be a 442,

My choice is either Dani Olmo for £50 mil OR Zielinski for £37 mil. 

Olmos got the potential, but Zielinski is world class right now.

Olmo is slightly better defensive player (10 tackling, 8 marking, 15 anticipation and 15 work rate to Zielinskis 7 marking and tackling, 14 anticipation and 12 work rate). '

Zielinski is equally good with his left and right feet, giving me additional options (using him as a IW from either side)

Zielinski will allow me further space in budget, perhaps to sign Nuno Santos which gives the squad some extra depth.

What to do?

1 hour ago, Mutumba said:

First season with Newcastle. Looking to get a really top playmaker in support duty (roaming, deep lying etc) in what mainly will be a 442,

My choice is either Dani Olmo for £50 mil OR Zielinski for £37 mil. 

Olmos got the potential, but Zielinski is world class right now.

Olmo is slightly better defensive player (10 tackling, 8 marking, 15 anticipation and 15 work rate to Zielinskis 7 marking and tackling, 14 anticipation and 12 work rate). '

Zielinski is equally good with his left and right feet, giving me additional options (using him as a IW from either side)

Zielinski will allow me further space in budget, perhaps to sign Nuno Santos which gives the squad some extra depth.

What to do?

Plenty of other variables:

Personality

Suitability to your tactic

Determination

Wage

Versatility

Dynamics

13 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Plenty of other variables:

Personality

Suitability to your tactic

Determination

Wage

Versatility

Dynamics

Well, since they are fairly well known players I thought ppl could still give me some advice. Im guessing some of you have come across these players before...

They are pretty equal in terms om personality. Zielinski a bit more controversy, Olmo slightly more profesional and ambitious.

Wagedemands are pretty similar

Versatility is something ive already touched upon