Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

11 minutes ago, Englishhammer said:

352 counter attacking tactic

1) What striker partnership? 

I’ve had little success with one being a Target Man as I only really have one suitable player for that role. 

Had relatively ok success with Poacher/DLF but wondered if maybe an AF would get caught offside less

I use a F9 and a AF, works nicely, I use a 352 (3412) also. My tactic is more of a possession/attacking hybrid though, for a counter attack tactic I would personally have both strikers on attack duties but that's just imo. For more detailed answers you should probably create a thread yourself.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does player weight has any impact in the ME? 

What about lower height making easier to dribble and run with the ball?

I swear that my midget LB gets around defenders much easier than my winger who is a lot better on the ball and is also faster..at least according to the player attributes..

15 hours ago, FM1000 said:

Does player weight has any impact in the ME? 

What about lower height making easier to dribble and run with the ball?

I swear that my midget LB gets around defenders much easier than my winger who is a lot better on the ball and is also faster..at least according to the player attributes..

Weight I don't know, but strength definitely matters.

What's people first thing they do once a tactic seems to have been "broken", complete overhaul or subtle tweeks?

My example being, had a fairly consistent season, finishing in 6th place, 4 points off promotion (tight league) with using one tactic. Go through pre season with positives results, win the first game of the new season 5-0 and now I'm on a run of 1 win in 7 games.

3 hours ago, Libertine13 said:

What's people first thing they do once a tactic seems to have been "broken", complete overhaul or subtle tweeks?

Identify the issue and then make slight adjustments. I would review the past 5 games to watch out for repeating patterns that lead to a goal coring chance for the other team. And for repeating patterns where you team looses possession instead of creating a goal scoring opportunity.

To share your analysis or data to get the community involved I would highly suggest to creat your own topic.

Edited by CARRERA

10 hours ago, Libertine13 said:

My example being, had a fairly consistent season, finishing in 6th place, 4 points off promotion (tight league) with using one tactic. Go through pre season with positives results, win the first game of the new season 5-0 and now I'm on a run of 1 win in 7 games.

Had the same problem in my 2nd season, was a goal away from automatic promotion, got destroyed in the promotion / relegation game, in my 2nd season I finished mid-table, still created plenty chances, but we couldn't convert them this year... Sometimes outliers happen.

As Carrera said above, have a look at the patterns of goals against, or the chances that you don't convert. Sometimes is just bad RNG outcomes, nothing you can do about it.

Simple question : can tactic with STANDARD LOE aND STANDARD Defensive Line work great? 

Seems like everybody and their dog use Low/Medium/High block:

- low LOE+Std DL

- Std LOE+High DL

- High LOE + very High DL

Do a basic Standard duo work? What is so terrible about it? Is "compactness" THAT important ? 

1 hour ago, Cassius said:

Simple question : can tactic with STANDARD LOE aND STANDARD Defensive Line work great? 

Seems like everybody and their dog use Low/Medium/High block:

- low LOE+Std DL

- Std LOE+High DL

- High LOE + very High DL

Do a basic Standard duo work? What is so terrible about it? Is "compactness" THAT important ? 

Yes, of course it can work. In modern football compactness Is a key element of efficient defending. And so it’s in football manager by default. So it’s just a question of how compact you want your team to play. 

Playing with both standard DL and LOE is a defensive block in the middle third of the pitch with a balanced compactness.

Compactness is not about more = better, it’s a trade-off about giving up space vs. gaining defensive efficiency in an area of the pitch. The space between DL and LOE is the space where your team is trying to control the match and trigger their pressing. The space left behind your DL and especially in front of your LOE can be utilized relatively uncontested by the other team. 

What you are looking for is a shape that allows you to cover a large area without loosing your overall compactness.

both being too compact or being too loose is bad for your defensive efficiency.

Watch out for certain behaviors to make adjustments to your vertical compactness. 

Can a player receive a pass outside of a counter situation relatively uncontested? You may need to become more compact.

Is the other Team able to build up easily and play over your top? you may need to cover a larger area

On 30/07/2008 at 22:16, phnompenhandy said:

Some people confuse tactics with formations. You can (and should) adjust tactics WITHIN a formation all the time to respond to the opposition and changing circumstances - that doesn't affect gelling. Changing FORMATIONS does. Personally, I keep the same formation but adjust the settings; other do have one home formation and one away one - my guess is that it would take longer for players to get fully comfortable with two rather than one, but patience should pay off. Of course, as in real life, it's a highly skilled art to correctly judge whether your players/team just need more time or if something is broken and needs fixing!

Great advice. 

I'll add that it can be useful to have a "training formation". 

So get ideas of which tactical changes you might make in a match:  for example, against a team which plays narrow, you might attack wider; or when you have a late lead, you might employ narrow, shorter passing, lower tempo, more discipline, regroup, time wasting, slow distribution or any combination of some or all of these or other TIs. 

Now it's usually a bad idea to make all of these changes at once, but if you train a "training tactic" which has all of these potential TIs, then your team will be better able to adjust to 1-3 of those changes in match.  In other words, you won't get those warnings from your AssMan like:  these players are not used to the pressing intensity asked of them.  Of course, like @phnompenhandywrote, there is an art to judiciously deciding which changes you might need, with your team.

4 hours ago, koimes said:

Is the "Position/Role/Duty" bar highlighted in the screen solely dependent on individual players familiarity with the role or can this bar be maxed by adding training sessions with tactical familiarity? 

20211218080855_1_Edited.jpg

It’s the players familiarity with their assigned role and can only be maxed by training it individually. 

On 14/12/2021 at 13:03, Libertine13 said:

My example being, had a fairly consistent season, finishing in 6th place, 4 points off promotion (tight league) with using one tactic.

If the tactic has been good and consistent then you know as a baseline it works, you just have to watch out for certain formations it might not be good against and try to make adjustments in those games

2 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

What influence in Player Instructions to increase his individual tempo? Or it's only via Team Instruction?

It’s not possible. However, there are a few PPM‘s, that influence the tempo. 
dictates tempo / stops play / dwells on ball

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

Which roles/combination would go well with a Raumdeuter in a 4231

Whatever roles gives them space to operate, I don't think a 4231 is a good formation for that role as that AC eating space will make the Raumadeuter mostly a wing player.

2 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Whatever roles gives them space to operate, I don't think a 4231 is a good formation for that role as that AC eating space will make the Raumadeuter mostly a wing player.

What if the AMC has the support hole and therefore sits more in the hole?

16 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

What if the AMC has the support hole and therefore sits more in the hole?

Will still occupy that central channel.

I like it better in 433 DM Wide or 442. In those formations you can create plenty space in between lines where the Rau - At thrives.

On 21/12/2021 at 02:55, fc.cadoni said:

Any idea how to defend AI short throw in? It drives me crazy having unmarked player in short, that player crossing the ball far post (in or out does not matter).

5 at the back and defend wide are great and protecting from far post crosses

On 04/12/2021 at 22:29, lckyby said:

Is there a way to make the opposition instructions for certain positions always apply to whoever you are playing against? Before a match you have to click on the 'opposition instructions' and change it yourself anyway. Surely there should be some way for it to be automatic?

1255203292_Screenshot2021-12-04at18_26_18.png.691b5e83cb2670ec91de395e2769155e.png

The closest you get is this

Select all

Go to OI column (Next after sharpness) and switch it from Individual to Positional

On 11/11/2021 at 20:56, Hovis Dexter said:

Does mentoring have any effect on the players’ social groups? I would have thought that if a mentoring group included a couple of influential player from the core social group and a couple of non influential players from one of the other social groups the non influential players would eventually move to the core group. Does anybody know if this actually happens?

Regardless of mentoring, players eventually form one big core group. I would guess that mentoring does increase the speed of this process, but it's hard to tell really

On 23/11/2021 at 15:43, pedrosantos said:

Just wondering what would be the effect of a Much Higher Line of Engagement / Much Higher Defensive Line / Extremely Urgent Pressing Intensity with a TI Transition to Regroup ?

I didn't try it but my best guess is the following. When you lose the ball, it is transition phase first and out of possession phase next. So, your players will regroup first. Then once they have retreated to their positions, the out if possession phase begins and they start to press.

how often do you change mentality when you are 0-1 0-2 down? Do you change the mentality or just only some roles and team instructions? I never touch mentality as it is always on positive. How do you approach it in what circumstances you changing it or not? I know it is a risk barometer the higher mentalities you pick the higher risk you take. 

On 04/12/2021 at 19:29, lckyby said:

Is there a way to make the opposition instructions for certain positions always apply to whoever you are playing against? Before a match you have to click on the 'opposition instructions' and change it yourself anyway. Surely there should be some way for it to be automatic?

1255203292_Screenshot2021-12-04at18_26_18.png.691b5e83cb2670ec91de395e2769155e.png

Have a look at this post and scroll down to @Rashidi's comments

4 hours ago, ultrAslan said:

how often do you change mentality when you are 0-1 0-2 down? Do you change the mentality or just only some roles and team instructions? I never touch mentality as it is always on positive. How do you approach it in what circumstances you changing it or not? I know it is a risk barometer the higher mentalities you pick the higher risk you take. 

Team mentality Is the most important and most impacting team instruction. Changing it will be very unfamiliar for your team and may lead to greater inefficiency. 

better go with slight changes for your team instructions and shift your teams balance to a more attacking one by disbanding defend duties and adding attack duties. Keep the teams structure the same however.

Stupid question but when selecting a players R/P/D to be trained, is this only worked on where the training session has 'individual roles' specified as impacted? So for example I could select 'Central Defender - Defend' for a players R/P/D training, but they will only work on those attributes if the training session has 'individual roles' as an impact (like in match practice, or any of the GK specific schedules). Is my understanding correct? I ask as I'm a semi-pro club so only have 4 sessions per week. If I dedicate all of these to match preparation, it is pointless setting up R/P/D training for each member of my squad, as my training sessions don't allow for 'individual roles' to be worked on?

Also when do players work on 'additional focus'? Is this work done outside of the scheduled training sessions?

9 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

Stupid question but when selecting a players R/P/D to be trained, is this only worked on where the training session has 'individual roles' specified as impacted? So for example I could select 'Central Defender - Defend' for a players R/P/D training, but they will only work on those attributes if the training session has 'individual roles' as an impact (like in match practice, or any of the GK specific schedules). Is my understanding correct? I ask as I'm a semi-pro club so only have 4 sessions per week. If I dedicate all of these to match preparation, it is pointless setting up R/P/D training for each member of my squad, as my training sessions don't allow for 'individual roles' to be worked on?

Also when do players work on 'additional focus'? Is this work done outside of the scheduled training sessions?

There is no stupid question, brookie! :-)

Yes, the best method - practice is to add schedules which train individual roles is you set them R/P/D and the only schedule which has 100% focus is Match Practice. Does it mean it's the best method? Yes and No. When you assign individual R/P/D you increase his personal workload as well apart from general team intensity and his personal intensity, plus Additional Focus. Sounds a little complicated or confusing, but @Seb Wassell helped me to clear that.

For semi-pro club, I will assign R/P/D with Overall (General), Outfield (General), Match Practice (Match Practice) and Goalkeeping (General) in some players which has low injury prone and rest leave it in "Playing Position". Developing in semi-pro is harder, so players with high ambition, determination and professionalism with big gap in CA / PA and high consistency; are little rare. Plus the low quality facilities and coaches. My approach is to "keep it simple".

I currently have a number of spare U18 coach slots that I haven't used. I have loads of U23 coaches employed and I assign these guys to U18s training which provides me with adequate coverage for the U18 training. Is there any downside from not hiring specific U18 coaches when the training sessions are being handled by my U23 coaches? All of them have workload of medium or light.

15 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

I'm playing a counter attacking 4-4-1-1, I have a PF(At) and a AM(Su). In the pass map these two roles always look like they are on top of each other, is that important ? I mean if these two roles are getting in each others ways i dont know what other roles i can try without going asymmetrical. I hate asymmetrical.

Do you want them to be close to each other? So that striker could flick on to AM? Or do you want them to go wider? Maybe then switch to 442 with DLFs instead of AM?

Edited by nully29

4 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

When you assign individual R/P/D you increase his personal workload as well apart from general team intensity and his personal intensity, plus Additional Focus.

I can understand additional focus training taking place outside of the designated schedule which appears on the calendar, and those additional focus sessions being an 'extra'.

I am a bit confused by the reply to the R/P/D assignment though. I simply want to know if players will only work on assigned R/P/D if a scheduled training session on the calendar has 'individual roles' as a focus. Your response suggests that R/P/D increases the players workload, which to me sounds like it would be an 'extra' like the additional focus presumably is. Please can anyone clarify.

17 dakika önce, nully29 said:

Do you want them to be close to each other? So that striker could flick on to AM? Or do you want them to go wider? Maybe then switch to 442 with DLFs instead of AM?

Not wider, i want the AM in the center of the field ST to be furthest one, my cms are not creative roles so the AM is supposed to be the hearth of the team but he is always too far up the field. I didint want to make him an AP bc we dont play for possession. I want the man to get the ball from the cms not just run up the field the second we win the ball thats why the wingers are there.

58 minutes ago, brookie1402 said:

I can understand additional focus training taking place outside of the designated schedule which appears on the calendar, and those additional focus sessions being an 'extra'.

I am a bit confused by the reply to the R/P/D assignment though. I simply want to know if players will only work on assigned R/P/D if a scheduled training session on the calendar has 'individual roles' as a focus. Your response suggests that R/P/D increases the players workload, which to me sounds like it would be an 'extra' like the additional focus presumably is. Please can anyone clarify.

That's correct. Is working on assignment of R/P/D. With Match Practice is focusing 100%, while in Handling GK your Attacking Unit & Defending Unit focusing in 20%. 

How can you fix players not communicating with each other? I've tried match preparation - teamwork in training but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to give it time and insist on it? Or is a transfer my only option?

7 hours ago, Coolcup said:

I currently have a number of spare U18 coach slots that I haven't used. I have loads of U23 coaches employed and I assign these guys to U18s training which provides me with adequate coverage for the U18 training. Is there any downside from not hiring specific U18 coaches when the training sessions are being handled by my U23 coaches? All of them have workload of medium or light.

you only need as much coaches as you need to have light workload across all sections

5 hours ago, Poison said:

How can you fix players not communicating with each other? I've tried match preparation - teamwork in training but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to give it time and insist on it? Or is a transfer my only option?

Need time. It took me around 4-5 months to see "green line" connection and achieved it via training, playing together as much as possible; plus mentoring. For example me LB will be in the same group of mentoring with LM or AML.  

3 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

Need time. It took me around 4-5 months to see "green line" connection and achieved it via training, playing together as much as possible; plus mentoring. For example me LB will be in the same group of mentoring with LM or AML.  

Thank you! So it works eventually!